Has anyone found one? I've used Lygea's 10C emulator on 9900 for years. Far from a replacement for my old 41CV but ONE of the reasons I still carry my old 9900. No BB10 version afaik.

Suggestions?
    10-06-15 06:25 AM
    The Classic (like the Passport) has the special problem of the square screen. But even if you ignore this you will not find much. I tried a lot but was never really satisfied except Scientific RPN Calculator, but this one is discontinued and doesn't run well anymore under 10.3.2. It was also Z30 specific.

Additional question: I'm looking for a slide rule. Never found one.
    10-06-15 07:09 AM
    Lol... see my avatar... No, that's not "Samsung oversized". Lol. Larger is truly more precise for slide rules. Also still keep an old 4" pocket slide rule handy. Souvenir from my NASA days. Still the FASTEST way to calc some things. Amazing battery life! Lol...

No slide rule apps for BB afaik. Would be cool, imo. Especially with a zoom window to simulate a magnified cross slide.

Same problems with Scientific RPN & 10.3.2 on my Z30... Always hoped for a Q10 version. The author used to frequent these forums... anyone hear from him lately?

Lygea 10C on 9900 is sweet. Prefer pkb for critical data entry.
    10-06-15 08:48 AM
    Still the FASTEST way to calc some things.
    This is the point. Most people can't imagine that until I show them. I have a collection of about six or seven slide rules, most from eastern Europe because they still build them in the late 80s.
    Same problems with Scientific RPN & 10.3.2 on my Z30... Always hoped for a Q10 version. The author used to frequent these forums... anyone hear from him lately?
    I wrote him a mail but he didn't answer. This app seems completely dead.
    10-06-15 10:43 AM
    This is the point. Most people can't imagine that until I show them. I have a collection of about six or seven slide rules, most from eastern Europe because they still build them in the late 80s.
    Still have my first 8" from 1968. Haven't replaced batteries yet! lol... Even better than the speed, on some things, is the tactile perspective it provides. You KNOW when you're way off ballpark by feel. "Sanity check" that might slip through digital. Slide rules where a major part of getting us to the Moon, after all.

Likewise, i frequently employ old graphical kinematic principles (leveraged thru CAD, of course) to vector results well before my "younger" coworkers even get the formula looked up. Similar "sanity check" appeal. The analog to digital cultural transition left too much behind, IMO.

I really liked that app on Z30... before update...
    10-06-15 11:38 AM
    The Classic (like the Passport) has the special problem of the square screen. But even if you ignore this you will not find much. I tried a lot but was never really satisfied except Scientific RPN Calculator, but this one is discontinued and doesn't run well anymore under 10.3.2. It was also Z30 specific.

Additional question: I'm looking for a slide rule. Never found one.
    I still have one packed away in a box.

Remember some kids carrying it on their belt loops. Nerds then are now millionaires. LOL

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    idssteve likes this.
    10-07-15 04:14 AM
    A slide rule app, man! This would be a great thing and not even very complicated to implement.
    idssteve and Mr4aces like this.
    10-07-15 05:06 AM
    A slide rule app, man! This would be a great thing and not even very complicated to implement.
    A fun app for a Z, in particular. Potential for zoom should help mitigate the single major handicap of vernier devices as our old eyes age... Arms get shorter... Lol
    10-07-15 05:32 AM

Remember some kids carrying it on their belt loops. Nerds then are now millionaires. LOL

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    Lol, guess I resemble that statement... . Thing is, "in the good old days", we were raised to do basic arithmetic in skull. Slide rules & calculators were used as time savers. Not lazy brain savers.

They were also space savers. Before carrying a slide rule, I carried a tiny book of Trig & log charts. Now it's ALL included in a nifty communications package. . So long as battery lasts. Lol.

Just wish I could get RPN on my Classic. Parentheses and equal signs are SO slow.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-07-15 05:53 AM
    Just wish I could get RPN on my Classic. Parentheses and equal signs are SO slow.
    Or get real hardware We have a small company here in Switzerland building clones of the famous HP1xC calculators from the 80s. I have a HP15C clone from them, full programmable, I love that thing. See here: SwissMicros.com That's why my need for an app has subsided now.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-07-15 06:32 AM
    Or get real hardware We have a small company here in Switzerland building clones of the famous HP1xC calculators from the 80s. I have a HP15C clone from them, full programmable, I love that thing. See here: SwissMicros.com That's why my need for an app has subsided now.
    Thank you SO much for that link! Several coworkers also thank you! We just assumed RPN was dead. HP's Prime and SE were pretty disappointing. HP forgot how batteries work, it seems. 15C will certainly make us happy enough.

Running out of pocket space tho... Lol.
    10-07-15 08:19 AM
    They have now a new full size 15C called DM15L with real keys. The keys have been a problem in the smaller variants (DM15C). Indeed you can also get real HP devices still on eBay. Not cheap at all But these clones here are much faster and have more RAM which can be interesting for much larger programs.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-07-15 08:30 AM
    They have now a new full size 15C called DM15L with real keys. The keys have been a problem in the smaller variants (DM15C). Indeed you can also get real HP devices still on eBay. Not cheap at all But these clones here are much faster and have more RAM which can be interesting for much larger programs.
    Good info. Thanks again. My coworkers have kept ebay pretty drained of 41 stuff. Probably to blame for some of the price inflation. We still utilize some of 41's rs232 IO capabilities in some projects. No real substitute. Long story.

My SMART BlackBerry guy has transferred back to his home near Mumbai but two of my smart guys are looking in to writing a HP emulator for the Classic. Once OS versions stabilize a little. No clue if company would permit distribution but hopeful! Till then... DM15L will take some wear off of our "smithsonian candidate" 41s, at least.
    10-07-15 10:36 AM
    I would either use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....czo.droid48sx as it stands or I would ask an expert to transplant its source code https://github.com/czodroid/droid48sx to BlackBerry 10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-07-15 11:21 AM
    I would either use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....czo.droid48sx as it stands or I would ask an expert to transplant its source code https://github.com/czodroid/droid48sx to BlackBerry 10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I'll give it a try on my personal Classic & see how it integrates with Classic's PKB. 48SX is a fave.
    10-07-15 11:54 AM