Attachment 331546

It is time! I got my BlackBerry Classic on release day in The Netherlands, which was on the 15th of January. I was already using a Passport since October, which is why youll find some comparison in this review as well, but first, lets get to the findings!

Weight
    The first thing I noticed when picking up my Classic from the box was the added weight. It made me think of this furniture factory in Taicang, China where they made pedestals with contra weight (which is actually a large brick that is picked up from the streets) inside to prevent it from tilting. It took me some getting used to, but now after almost 3 weeks of heavy (no pun intended) use, the weight isnt even noticeable.

Size
    The screen was tiny and it all felt like a downgrade as I was coming from the Passport. But everything takes getting used to, is what Ive learned from my past experiences. A smaller screen means a smaller phone, which I noticed right away! The day after I got the Classic, had a few meetings at the airport. I wouldve left my Passport in my bag or coat, but the size of the Classic allowed me to keep my phone with me as I had to stand, talk and occasionally take notes. And this has been one of the biggest advantages of using a Classic over a Passport. The size of the Passport screams is awesome and screams for attention, but walking around with such a big thing in your pocket and pulling it out often to check something is one of the downsides I found while using the Passport, which is where the Classic comes in.

Keyboard/ Toolbelt
    Coming from the Passport, the keyboard felt tiny and uncomfortable. I had to type with the tip of my thumbs and it was pretty much hit and mess during the first few days. Now, after about three weeks, Im kickin blind-typing while looking at stuff just like I used to. Dont get me wrong by the way, the Passport is also suited for blind-typing, but its not as accurate as the Classic. Now that Ive mentioned the keyboard, lets not forget about one-handed typing. This is where the Classic wins it from the Passport. When Im doing something (working on my work-issued laptop (no Blend ), holding something that I cant let go, etc). I find myself grabbing my Classic to quickly check stuff and even answering it. And this is also where the trackpad, BB button and back button come in. Efficiency at its best! Being so used to BB10s gestures and touch commands, I didnt use the trackpad and buttons as much as I do now. Its the little things like copy-paste, holding shift and scrolling down to make a selection (be it text or pictures) and choosing stuff from a menu which work faster and easier. And dont forget about keyboard shortcuts, not only the long press once (to start an app for instance), but also to reply or delete stuff from the hub, which I use the most.

Sidenote/ afterthought
    Makes me wonder why they didnt shape the keys of the Passport, like they did with the legacy devices, Q10 and Classic (I dont know how to call it, but the lifted side of the keys so that you know on what side of the keyboard youre typing).

Call Buttons (I know, the categories stopped making sense when I didn't mention call buttons in the tool belt part, deal with it )
    Remember back in the days when we used to pick up our phones by pressing a button? Of course you do! My phone rang while I was watching Mirai Nikki, (must-watch by the way!) when my phone rang. I looked at my phone like what do you expect me to do? as I didnt see anything I could swipe or press on the screen. But there was this green animation dancing on the bottom left corner. Click, Hello? I love the call buttons, I hope theyre implemented in the form of shortcuts in other Q devices, its so much better than having to look at your phone to (especially) end a call.

Battery Life
    One thing that I really loved about the Passport was battery life, which started with a little bit of drama on the Classic. I upgraded to .2072 right after unboxing the device. After letting the OS settling, I (still) got about 9 hours of battery life, while on CB I read posts about 15+ hours. I downgraded to .1154 only to experience the same battery life. I was going to decide to send the phone back as I didnt want to be a wallhugger, but I gave .2072 another chance. Perhaps I was impatient and didnt let the battery kick in, but after upgrading to .2072 again, Im averaging 21 hours battery life with heavy use, which is awesome! Doesnt beat the Passport though, but its enough for me and my lifestyle!

Apps
    Alright, apps! Well, I only use one Android app and that is the ING banking app. It doesnt affect my battery life and runs smooth enough to check bank balance and do transfers if necessary. Yes, other Android applications that require performance are slow and no I dont care. Heavy app users shouldnt buy the Classic and if they do, they shouldnt complain about the lack of specs. Yes, a bump in specs would be nice, but then the same people who complain about the price of the phone, while its a Q10 with a trackpad and a little higher specs. Get over it!

Im sorry about the length of this review, but there are so many things I love!

Blend & Bluetooth Accessory
    Blend is actually pretty underrated. I only tested it out on my Passport, but since I my battery initially didnt last as long as it does now, I used Blend to keep track of things. So I was at this friends place and we were chillin in the living room. I left my phone to charge in the other room and connected it to my laptop with Blend. My friend has a Dr Dre Pill Bluetooth device, which I also connected to my Classic. I was BBMing and using Web WhatsApp and got a notification from Blend about an incoming call. So I walked to the Dr Dre Pill and pressed on the button and guess what, the thing turned into a speakerphone! Whut?! I didnt even know it could do that! I noticed that a button was there while I was figuring out how to connect it via Bluetooth. How awesome was that?!

Advanced interactions are my favorite 10.3 functionalities! You see your crack LED blinking (of which the color you can set per app btw!) and you pick up the phone. You dont even have to wake the device, the screen goes on and you can navigate to the hub or directly to the notification if youre already there. And when you put down the device, your screen goes off again (depending on your display settings).

WHUT?!
    Alright Im done! But whats the verdict? Am I going to dump the Passport now that Im hanging out with my old friend so much? Of course not! The Classic will be my main device because of its size, its my preference because of my job and lifestyle. Its like what Jubei said in the UpStream Podcast that was posted recently; Im not the type of person to carry large electronic devices. But carrying a device means going places, doing stuff, not being able to put the device on a table and picking it up when you need it. But when thats my environment, the Passport will be my go-to device. I missed my Passport when I started using the Classic and gave the Passport to my friend to try out. But Ive been using it for browsing and of course checking out CB and read stuff since I got it back. A Classic and Passport is the perfect combination. How much Ill really rock them will show itself in the future, but I cant imagine having one of them and dumping the other!

Lets fuse them and introduce; The BlackBerry ClassPort (which is stupid and doesnt make sense, but hey!)

Wanna know what I thought about the Passport when I bought it? Check my Passport review right here on CB (and don't forget to watch the video )
    Last edited by H4zN; 02-04-15 at 05:24 AM.
    02-03-15 09:17 AM
    Blackberry ClassPort, nice.
    02-03-15 10:55 AM
    Exactly my thoughts too!! I wish we will see a fusion of the Classic and the Passport in the next iteration of BlackBerry Classic. It would be KILLERAPP

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 11:07 AM
    Really good to read!
    I am waiting for mine, coolblue will deliver it in 2hours.
    My daily driver is the iphone 6 and i used the passport for a while i loved it but the size is the reason to send it back and get the classic.
    I will use it on vodafone NL!

What provider are you using and how is the signal indoors?
    02-03-15 11:32 AM
    Really good to read!
    I am waiting for mine, coolblue will deliver it in 2hours.
    My daily driver is the iphone 6 and i used the passport for a while i loved it but the size is the reason to send it back and get the classic.
    I will use it on vodafone NL!

What provider are you using and how is the signal indoors?
    I'm using Vodafone Zakelijk and the signal indoors is fine. I work at Schiphol-Rijk and live in Amsterdam and never had any signal issues.

Posted from the 'Classy' Classic!
    02-03-15 11:38 AM
    I'm one of those people who's been on the fence about ordering a Classic of PP. I'm literally looking to order one tomorrow. My only question is performance. Since the Classic haves lower specs does your lifestyle usage suffer trying to do multiple things with it? I also carry an iPod Touch 5th generation. That keeps all my music and multimedia. (Outside of photos). I was wondering just how much "slower" the Classic was compared to the PP.
    02-03-15 11:50 AM
    I'm one of those people who's been on the fence about ordering a Classic of PP. I'm literally looking to order one tomorrow. My only question is performance. Since the Classic haves lower specs does your lifestyle usage suffer trying to do multiple things with it? I also carry an iPod Touch 5th generation. That keeps all my music and multimedia. (Outside of photos). I was wondering just how much "slower" the Classic was compared to the PP.
    Nope, the specs don't limit me in any way. But then again, I'm no heavy app user. But one thing that I did notice is the fact that thumbnails in the photo app load a lot slower than the Passport. But that could be a result of having 2000 pictures on a SD card. Same goes for file manager by the way. And occasionally, the OS is busy with some funky background process, which pauses loading stuff from the hub for a few seconds. But that doesn't happen enough to grind my gears.

If you're gonna use a lot of Android apps from Snap or the Amazon store, I suggest you go for the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 11:57 AM
    Thanks voor je snelle response.
    Ik merk dat ik met iphone vaak bereik mis als ik binnen ben!
    Me ervaring met de passport was al dat het super was dus ik hoop dat de classic dat ook heeft!

Zijn er verder nog dingen die je tegen zijn gevallen in de eerste 2 weken?
    02-03-15 12:01 PM
    Thanks. That's one I was concerned was it laggy a lot. I'm a real fast paced person. I live in the heart of the city, and I'm always on the move with my phone in my hard. I also talk on the phone a lot. Maybe about up to 3 hours a day. Messages I send and receive a lot from tweets to emails and mainly texts. I'm thinking I may go with the Classic because of the portability. Much easier to handle with one hand on the move I'm assuming. As far as Android apps. Outside of banking and Instagram I really don't use too many now a days. Mainly just message throughout the day, and snap photos.
    02-03-15 12:04 PM
    Thanks voor je snelle response.
    Ik merk dat ik met iphone vaak bereik mis als ik binnen ben!
    Me ervaring met de passport was al dat het super was dus ik hoop dat de classic dat ook heeft!

Zijn er verder nog dingen die je tegen zijn gevallen in de eerste 2 weken?
    Mijn ervaring is dat er geen verschil is qua bereik, dus het zit goed

Als je verwacht veel apps te gebruiken op je Classic zoals op je iPhone zal het je tegenvallen door de relatief langzame processor. Ik gebruik zelf alleen de ING app uit de Android store, maar voor zwaardere applicaties zou ik je de Passport aanraden. Voor de rest vind ik de Classic perfect. Er zijn altijd wel dingen in het OS die beter kunnen, maar dat blijf je houden.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 12:13 PM
    Thanks. That's one I was concerned was it laggy a lot. I'm a real fast paced person. I live in the heart of the city, and I'm always on the move with my phone in my hard. I also talk on the phone a lot. Maybe about up to 3 hours a day. Messages I send and receive a lot from tweets to emails and mainly texts. I'm thinking I may go with the Classic because of the portability. Much easier to handle with one hand on the move I'm assuming. As far as Android apps. Outside of banking and Instagram I really don't use too many now a days. Mainly just message throughout the day, and snap photos.
    In that case you should go for the Classic for sure! It's portable and it will enable you to swiftly move through those tasks while you're walking downtown. We kind of have the same user profile, so my advise would be the Classic!

Posted via CB10
    djtim likes this.
    02-03-15 12:15 PM