Dear Crackberry community

I am not familiar with Blackberry and I deduced the opinion that there are high expectations for the Blackberry Classic from the positive dedication, news and rumors. I wonder what the weak points or drawbacks are for choosing Blackberry in comparison with mainstream multimedia android smartphones with a touch screen. For the purpose of decision-making, please share your frustrations and refute the following examples I came across since I started reading this past week. ^^

Please excuse this workaround of linking for I appear to be prohibited to link until my eleventh post.

Many worn out keyboards requiring replacement
    Crackberry > Do you suffer double typing issue on Blackberry Q10

From a glance, it seems Blackberry might sometimes provides poor customer service.
    Crackberry forums > Blackberry Q10 double typing issue

Problems with registration of device, though this seems to be the fault of the supplier.
    Blackberry supportforums > Unable to register on Blackberry network

Although I am not knowledgeable, Blackberry seems less open than android devices in regards of the option to switch operating systems.
    Crackberry forum > Can I install Ubuntu Touch on Playbook

Battery pulls seem solve minor issues, are you required to do this often?

Have a nice day and thank you for your time and advice ^^
    Last edited by rayanamukami; 08-08-14 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
    08-08-14 02:51 AM

I am not familiar with Blackberry and I deduced the opinion that there are high expectations for the Blackberry Classic from the positive dedication, news and rumors. I wonder what the weak points or drawbacks are for choosing Blackberry in comparison with mainstream multimedia android smartphones with a touch screen. For the purpose of decision-making, please share your frustrations and refute the following examples I came across since I started reading this past week. ^^

Please excuse this workaround of linking for I appear to be prohibited to link until my eleventh post.

Many worn out keyboards requiring replacement
    Crackberry > Do you suffer double typing issue on Blackberry Q10

From a glance, it seems Blackberry might sometimes provides poor customer service.
    Crackberry forums > Blackberry Q10 double typing issue

Problems with registration of device, though this seems to be the fault of the supplier.
    Blackberry supportforums > Unable to register on Blackberry network

Although I am not knowledgeable, Blackberry seems less open than android devices in regards of the option to switch operating systems.

Have a nice day and thank you for your time and advice ^^
    well i have to say that i have no frustrations with my blackberry smartphone its second one and both have been great.

some of the issues u speak of like q10 keyboard double type are known but have been resolved in newist production phones. many users have never experienced this issue.

my curve and the previous one have had 0 hardware issues.

some of the other issue u bring up like running other operating systems? why would u want to do that? blackberry's os is awesome why wouldn't u wanna run that?
    i cant imagine any blackberry user wanting to take bb10 off there phone for anything else
    or even os 7 for that matter.

i can get things done in a hurry with my phone most operations on a blackberry are one step instead of two or three. i cant stand my wifes samsung it takes forever to get things done

all i can say is try a blackberry, use it for 2 weeks and get to know it learn the short cuts and ins and out of the device i highly doubt u will switch back to android. if u do u will really see just how slow android os is, and u will miss the batt life of the blackberry big time

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    08-08-14 04:15 AM
    Thanks for your answer. It's reassuring to hear that the hardware issues are resolved now. I have read that Blackberry 10 is great, but I find locking a user counter competitive. The option to switch operating systems lets me try out different ones while keeping Blackberry's keyboard, which is the main reason I now consider choosing the Blackberry Classic. I'm glad you are so happy with your phone and I will try it in a store when available. ^^
    08-08-14 05:40 AM
    OP, the number one issue for BB10 are the apps, hands down. Regarding your other issues, supposedly the keyboard issue has been fixed. I say supposedly because only time will tell. But they say it has been fixed. And my keyboard has yet to develop it. Regarding the registration issue, I don't know. I've registered 3 BB10 devices all without any issues. And regarding customer service, I've read examples of both, good and bad, experience. It seems it might be down to the individual customer service rep. Maybe they just need better training for some? Regarding it being "open" it's definitely not as open as Android but is definitely not as "closed" as iOS. For some, this is a good balance, since to be too open like Android there is too many variation from device to device to where it's hard to have any quality control over the experience. But it's also bad to be too closed like iOS since that limits too much of how you can customize the phone to your liking.

But the funny thing is, I actually think Android has slightly fewer options for notifications than BB10. If I'm not mistaken, you cannot set different vibration settings for individual contacts. But knowing Android, there's probably an app for it. It's like you're expected to build their OS for them after you get the phone...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-08-14 10:06 AM
    Thanks, you give me a better view. ^^ I'm not sure what you refer to regarding the applications on Blackberry 10? I read that besides Blackberry World, they also offer the Amazon store for android apps running through an emulator. I guess that you mean either that not all android apps work or that the emulator has high battery usage. With "open" I didn't mean to say customization which I prioritize less than functionality. I wanted to ask if they would allow their users to change the operating system on our own responsibility. But I think this isn't really a question that concerns this forum. ^^
    08-09-14 01:54 AM
    Battery pulls refer to legacy BlackBerry devices. BlackBerry 10 devices like the Classic are a whole new ball game.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-09-14 02:06 AM

I am not familiar with Blackberry and I deduced the opinion that there are high expectations for the Blackberry Classic from the positive dedication, news and rumors. I wonder what the weak points or drawbacks are for choosing Blackberry in comparison with mainstream multimedia android smartphones with a touch screen. systems.
    Are you sure you're not confusing the Classic with the Passport? Personally haven't seen much news and rumors around the former.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-09-14 02:09 AM
    Yes, this is true. They are far less open.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-09-14 02:13 AM
    Thanks, you give me a better view. ^^ I'm not sure what you refer to regarding the applications on Blackberry 10? I read that besides Blackberry World, they also offer the Amazon store for android apps running through an emulator. I guess that you mean either that not all android apps work or that the emulator has high battery usage. With "open" I didn't mean to say customization which I prioritize less than functionality. I wanted to ask if they would allow their users to change the operating system on our own responsibility. But I think this isn't really a question that concerns this forum. ^^
    You always want native apps over emulating Android apps. Some functions like integration with the phone, or notifications might not work right since it was meant for Androids. Also, they might take a little longer to load, which isn't a huge deal, but still kills the experience a little bit.

In terms of function, with headless apps, it does open up the phones to more functions, but it's definitely not as much as Android, but how this affects your decision depends on how you plan to use your phone. I personally use my phone mainly for communications. I use some apps, watch a few videos, listen to my mp3's, go online, use navigation, and not a whole lot more. Mainly I use my phone as a tool to get things done, being on my phone isn't my goal. That's the main reason I'm not into things like wearables. When I put my phone away, I want it away. I don't want anything constantly monitored or have phone stuff constantly in view, etc.

But not every one is like that, especially now-a-days, so this might not be the case for you. So it just depends on your own preferences...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-09-14 11:12 AM
    Thanks for all your comments, I can see that Blackberry does care to improve their devices. Yes, I was confusing and mixing threads about multiple Blackberry devices and should have instead refered to "Blackberry devices" in general. My intention was mainly to find arguments against my decision to choose the Blackberry Classic by learning about their previous mistakes.

I would be happy if Blackberry made their devices more open, unless there would possibly be remarkable disadvantages. I think I might find it amusing to play with different operating systems, but I guess this is a feature less asked for.

Also thank you for your explanation of emulating Android apps. It does make sense, but I assume that Blackberry has already covered the most commonly used applications which is more than enough for me.

Ultimately I hope they'll make their keyboards available for other smartphones as attachable bluetooth modules. After all, I am only interested in Blackberry's keyboard. At the very least, I wish for Blackberry to participates in Google's project Ara to spread Blackberry's great products. ^^
    08-11-14 03:37 PM