Don't be so sure, just yet.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed but if they release a Classic with a fixed battery personally at that point I'm going to move on.
    Mr4aces, Mack Gans and hlg8888 like this.
    08-08-14 08:44 AM
    Agreed but if they release a Classic with a fixed battery personally at that point I'm going to move on.
    Ha. Move on to where? The whole industry is moving towards fixed battery (unfortunately).

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    08-08-14 09:05 AM
    Ha. Move on to where? The whole industry is moving towards fixed battery (unfortunately).

LG, Samsung both offer removable batteries
    08-08-14 09:22 AM
    Yeah naming something Classic and then not adding an essential feature would be stupid.
    Wouldn't be the first time BB makes a stupid move. Sorry to have to say that, and no company is immune from this before you think I'm bashing BB...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-08-14 05:36 PM
    if the non removeable battery is firmly in place, and doesn't disconnect if you set the phone down too hard, then hooray.
    I have a bit of a business card stuffed behind my Q10 patter to prevent the constant rebooting that was happening, if I set the phone down less than gently.

if it has a constant reboot issue, or needs the battery pulled to do a hard reboot, then its a huge problem.
    08-08-14 09:06 PM
    I also had to use one of my business cards - placed between the battery and cover - on my Q10. Once I did this I no longer had random reboots from the battery not being firmly secured. Obviously this is a design flaw with the material BlackBerry used in the making of the battery cover - too much flex.

Fact is not having a removable battery reduces cost, allow for larger capacity battery - albeit it that usually does not happen as most manufacturers opt for thinner devices over a larger capacity battery these days.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 09:30 PM
    Removable

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 09:31 PM
    *sorry, can't edit my comment via the app
    Auto predict is something else.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 09:32 PM
    I also had to use one of my business cards - placed between the battery and cover - on my Q10. Once I did this I no longer had random reboots from the battery not being firmly secured. Obviously this is a design flaw with the material BlackBerry used in the making of the battery cover - too much flex.

Fact is not having a removable battery reduces cost, allow for larger capacity battery - albeit it that usually does not happen as most manufacturers opt for thinner devices over a larger capacity battery these days.

Posted via CB10
    Well the Q 10 doesn't have the superb BBB 9900 build quality.

Also I couldn't care less about "reducing costs" I'm just a customer if you want me to pay in the 400 + $ range for a phone, it better offers basic stuff like this. Personally I'm also not a fan of thinner devices i.e. the Curve 9360 is too thin and doesn't weight enough for me to use it comfortable without a "bigger" case.

Sure I can do nothing about, if they decide to go with a fixed battery but I'll be voting with my wallewt against it simple as that.
    08-09-14 05:36 AM
    Well the Q 10 doesn't have the superb BBB 9900 build quality.

Also I couldn't care less about "reducing costs" I'm just a customer if you want me to pay in the 400 + $ range for a phone, it better offers basic stuff like this. Personally I'm also not a fan of thinner devices i.e. the Curve 9360 is too thin and doesn't weight enough for me to use it comfortable without a "bigger" case.

Sure I can do nothing about, if they decide to go with a fixed battery but I'll be voting with my wallewt against it simple as that.
    The whole battery issue is a weird design flaw. The actual build materials of the Q10 is far superior to that of the 9900...

08-09-14 11:13 AM
    The whole battery issue is a weird design flaw. The actual build materials of the Q10 is far superior to that of the 9900...

The 9900 is FAR superior. The keypad curvature is nice also. It looks and feels like a Rolls vs. the BMW Q10. Both are nice but I would be content with a 9930 running 10.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 06:47 PM
    The 9900 is FAR superior. The keypad curvature is nice also. It looks and feels like a Rolls vs. the BMW Q10. Both are nice but I would be content with a 9930 running 10.

Posted via CB10
    Um, yah, because the squeeky plastic frets in the 9900 keyboard is superior to the stainless steel frets of the Q10. The 9900's rubber bevel surrounding a VERY thin sheet of glass weave is superior to the Q10's fully glass weave back. The 9900's plastic chromed plastic fret in the back is superior to the Q10's stainless steel fret in the back. And the 9900's VERY THIN metal bezel is superior to the Q10's bezel/frame that was milled out of a single block of stainless steel...

Seriously, try taking these phones apart before you comment on build quality... I've had several of both of these phones apart before. The material used for the 9900 is FAR inferior to those of the Q10...
    08-14-14 07:47 PM
    Um, yah, because the squeeky plastic frets in the 9900 keyboard is superior to the stainless steel frets of the Q10. The 9900's rubber bevel surrounding a VERY thin sheet of glass weave is superior to the Q10's fully glass weave back. The 9900's plastic chromed plastic fret in the back is superior to the Q10's stainless steel fret in the back. And the 9900's VERY THIN metal bezel is superior to the Q10's bezel/frame that was milled out of a single block of stainless steel...

Seriously, try taking these phones apart before you comment on build quality... I've had several of both of these phones apart before. The material used for the 9900 is FAR inferior to those of the Q10...
    This seriously makes want the Bold now

Posted with no typos using the Q10
    untitled80 likes this.
    08-14-14 07:54 PM
    Can't get the classic if it has an unremovable battery. I couldn't deal with something like that again *cough* iphone *cough*

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans and hlg8888 like this.
    08-14-14 09:54 PM

The 2 most popular non apple phones sold at my store is the LG G3 and Samsung Galaxy S5. Both offer removable batteries. Also a good thing to point out is that I just spoke with an LG rep and he stated the 2 biggest things that customers complained about and wanted to see changed on the G2 was the non removable battery and no microsd slot. They brought em both to the G3.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    Mack Gans likes this.
    08-14-14 11:18 PM
    The 2 most popular non apple phones sold at my store is the LG G3 and Samsung Galaxy S5. Both offer removable batteries. Also a good thing to point out is that I just spoke with an LG rep and he stated the 2 biggest things that customers complained about and wanted to see changed on the G2 was the non removable battery and no microsd slot. They brought em both to the G3.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    Yeah, the fixed battery thing is a heart breaking kick in the gut deal killer for me. I can tolerate such stupidity on the Passport because that goofy device will never get far from my desk but the device I carry WILL support swappable batts. Period.

The awful Casio IT's been pushing for at least has swappable batts, I hear. The old 9900 might just have to put off retirement a while longer. ?? Maybe BB will come to their senses someday. Maybe.
    Mack Gans and hlg8888 like this.
    08-15-14 08:51 AM

Not sure what you mean by "VERY THIN" metal bezel on the 99??? The framework I'm looking at appears to be die cast and milled. ?? The "bezel" surrounding the edge of the device is the exposed part of that die cast and milled frame that supports virtually everything with a half dozen screws. If that's the very thin metal bezel you're talking about, I agree, it is thin. Weight does matter. I've dropped 99s on edge and down stair cases and was impressed by the device's resiliency, IMO. Never saw more than slight dents on the edge accompanied by well earned gouges. The Q is WELL made but the 99 is not shabby, IMO.

I've never worn the chrome off the bars, either, but we routinely replace keyboards because paint wears off keys. THAT is where BB could take a que from HP's early RPN calculators that had the characters fully through the thickness of the keys!
    08-15-14 09:25 AM
    Not sure what you mean by "VERY THIN" metal bezel on the 99??? The framework I'm looking at appears to be die cast and milled. ?? The "bezel" surrounding the edge of the device is the exposed part of that die cast and milled frame that supports virtually everything with a half dozen screws. If that's the very thin metal bezel you're talking about, I agree, it is thin. Weight does matter. I've dropped 99s on edge and down stair cases and was impressed by the device's resiliency, IMO. Never saw more than slight dents on the edge accompanied by well earned gouges. The Q is WELL made but the 99 is not shabby, IMO.

I've never worn the chrome off the bars, either, but we routinely replace keyboards because paint wears off keys. THAT is where BB could take a que from HP's early RPN calculators that had the characters fully through the thickness of the keys!
    So... is it die-cast or milled? Pick one, it's not milled and forged, or forged and die-cast, these are all different ways of forming metal. Take apart a Q10 and you'll see a lot of cross supports, making the bezel more of a frame work. The bezel in the 9900 is exactly that, a thin sheet of metal that simply surrounds the phone for aesthetics reasons. The 9900's framework is a plastic midframe. While the Q10 gets its structural integrity from a frame/bezel that's milled from a solid block of high quality stainless steel.

I get that you like the 9900 and prefer it over the Q10 for many reasons, and I agree with a lot of those reasons, but just because you like it, don't blindly think that it is superior in every which way. The FACT is, in terms of build quality and materials, the Q10 is pretty much unmatched. And I'm talking between many other phones as well. The only other phones that come close would be the solid milled aluminum bodies from the HTC One phones. But I've heard the speaker grills are plastic and tend to break, so even that I would say is inferior to the Q10 structure...

Glass weave is not a gimmick. It's basically fiberglass. And we all know fiberglass is stronger than metal by weight. The 9900 has a little bit of glass weave in its battery door, but it's so thin you can see right through it. Literally, hold it up to a light. One single layer of fiberglass/glass weave really would not have any structural integrity, so that is more for looks than anything. The back of the Q10 are layers of glass weave stuck together. Very much like something made out of fiberglass. This has glass strands going in every direction, giving it a lot of structural strength while not being heavy.

hlg8888 likes this.
    08-15-14 01:13 PM
    So... is it die-cast or milled? Pick one, it's not milled and forged, or forged and die-cast, these are all different ways of forming metal. Take apart a Q10 and you'll see a lot of cross supports, making the bezel more of a frame work. The bezel in the 9900 is exactly that, a thin sheet of metal that simply surrounds the phone for aesthetics reasons. The 9900's framework is a plastic midframe. While the Q10 gets its structural integrity from a frame/bezel that's milled from a solid block of high quality stainless steel.

I get that you like the 9900 and prefer it over the Q10 for many reasons, and I agree with a lot of those reasons, but just because you like it, don't blindly think that it is superior in every which way. The FACT is, in terms of build quality and materials, the Q10 is pretty much unmatched. And I'm talking between many other phones as well. The only other phones that come close would be the solid milled aluminum bodies from the HTC One phones. But I've heard the speaker grills are plastic and tend to break, so even that I would say is inferior to the Q10 structure...

Glass weave is not a gimmick. It's basically fiberglass. And we all know fiberglass is stronger than metal by weight. The 9900 has a little bit of glass weave in its battery door, but it's so thin you can see right through it. Literally, hold it up to a light. One single layer of fiberglass/glass weave really would not have any structural integrity, so that is more for looks than anything. The back of the Q10 are layers of glass weave stuck together. Very much like something made out of fiberglass. This has glass strands going in every direction, giving it a lot of structural strength while not being heavy.

Well setting here looking at the "bezel" it looks to me as if were cast, drilled and machined. Possibly mill, shaper, grinder? And then brushed and/or polished to achieve the "brushed" appearance around the perimeter. I'm sure you're aware that tooling to precision after casting is production 101. That's how this appears to me. This does NOT have cross members but the anchor tabs "cast" onto it are adequately substantial, IMO. But you're right, the Q IS a stronger build. Its frame might even be considered overkill but I LIKE overkill. . Put thru similar tortures, the Q would win hands down. That's a compliment to the quality build of the Q rather than a significant shortcoming of the 99. Of the weaknesses we're likely to agree on in the 99, I just don't consider its frame to be inadequate for the purpose. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: by "frame" I think I'm referring to the "bezel" I think you're referring to. I'm not sure we're discussing the same part because it's certainly not "sheet metal" by any definition I'm used to. Although it might appear to be from outside. Without this "ring", "bezel", "frame", the device is a loose pile of pieces. Moot point, but just to be clear.
    Last edited by idssteve; 08-15-14 at 02:18 PM.
    08-15-14 01:57 PM
    Well setting here looking at the "bezel" it looks to me as if were cast, drilled and machined. Possibly mill, shaper, grinder? And then brushed and/or polished to achieve the "brushed" appearance around the perimeter. I'm sure you're aware that tooling to precision after casting is production 101. That's how this appears to me. This does NOT have cross members but the anchor tabs "cast" onto it are adequately substantial, IMO. But you're right, the Q IS a stronger build. Its frame might even be considered overkill but I LIKE overkill. . Put thru similar tortures, the Q would win hands down. That's a compliment to the quality build of the Q rather than a significant shortcoming of the 99. Of the weaknesses we're likely to agree on in the 99, I just don't consider its frame to be inadequate for the purpose. Your mileage may vary.
    Yes, milling will occur to just about any metal piece, but the difference is the block the Q10's frame is milled from is forged 304 stainless steel, which is by far better than any cast metal part...

Like I said, I'm not saying the 9900 is bad or is poorly made, but the Q10 is simply better built, at least from a hardware/build materials point of view.

08-15-14 02:19 PM
    Yes, milling will occur to just about any metal piece, but the difference is the block the Q10's frame is milled from is forged 304 stainless steel, which is by far better than any cast metal part...

Like I said, I'm not saying the 9900 is bad or is poorly made, but the Q10 is simply better built, at least from a hardware/build materials point of view.

Pocket magnet lightly sticks to our 99 frames, which is consistent with cast 304. Q's forged 304 might be pretty magnetic, depending on process. Forged is WAY tougher than cast, any day. Sure wish BB would've given the 20 the build of the 10 along with the specs. Including the battery. I've got buisness cards...
    08-15-14 02:57 PM
    Pocket magnet lightly sticks to our 99 frames, which is consistent with cast 304. Q's forged 304 might be pretty magnetic, depending on process. Forged is WAY tougher than cast, any day. Sure wish BB would've given the 20 the build of the 10 along with the specs. Including the battery. I've got buisness cards...
    Well, hopefully they would have found a more permanent fix to that odd issue without making it a fixed battery. I don't think I've had that issue on either the Bold 9000 or Bold 9900... Oh well, they obviously overlooked something. I have a folded post-it note, and it's never happened again, but still a little unacceptable. I definitely like the build quality and materials of the Q10, but there was a failure somewhere in its design.

08-15-14 04:32 PM
    Well, hopefully they would have found a more permanent fix to that odd issue without making it a fixed battery. I don't think I've had that issue on either the Bold 9000 or Bold 9900... Oh well, they obviously overlooked something. I have a folded post-it note, and it's never happened again, but still a little unacceptable. I definitely like the build quality and materials of the Q10, but there was a failure somewhere in its design.

I would be totally tickled for the opportunity to NEED a post it note on the Q20! I'll probably have to make my old 99 serve a little longer because of that single issue.

Edit: Coworkers climbed all over me about some comments here. Sorry.
    Last edited by idssteve; 08-15-14 at 05:59 PM.
    08-15-14 04:59 PM
    I now think of it as "quirky", but in reality, its pretty bad that we had to add some paper to the phone to make it work better.
    But the whole non removable battery thing is so ****ty in iphones, and so many people complain about it, I wouldn't think any company would be wanting to implement it on a new design.
    08-15-14 08:41 PM
    Don't think my Q really suffered the batt contact ailment as described by some in these forums. I've used rid-ox or similar contact lube on EVERYthing since the early 80's. A bottle migrates around the office in use by all of us. Can't really say if its helping to mitigate the issue or we're just lucky but the complaints have been notably absent. The paper trick just means some dimensional snafu took place in design or production. Countless devices ranging from watches to power tools work fine every day with swappable batt packs. NO reason it couldn't be reliably done in the Q series.

Just gotta wonder if we need Rod Serling, Alfred Hitchcock or Wavy Gravy to get a grasp on just WHAT bbry is thinking. Lol.
    08-15-14 09:59 PM
89 1234