Removable! I don't mind the extra thickness of the phone; in fact I think it makes the phone feel a little more sturdy and solid. Plus I'd like to be able to put in a spare battery or to do a battery pull (feels weird NOT to be able to do a battery pull, haha).

Posted via CB10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    07-20-14 07:43 AM
    Removable every time! It's easier than carrying a charger with you! Plus on down the line when your battery starts dying, that's a big issue! Not to forget if you get one with a defective battery..
    OTOH, if your device has a removable battery, no problem, m just slot in a new one and you're good to go!
    hlg8888 likes this.
    07-21-14 05:27 PM
    Removable.

I would absolutely hate to have a $600 device that could go down due to a bad battery or battery failure. It's one of the reasons I have never considered an iPhone for my spouse or children. Having to send back my device to have the battery replaced would be very disappointing.

I have never had a phone without a removable battery. I certainly hope BlackBerry reconsiders the idea to put a Non-Removable battery in the Passport.

Q10/10.2.1.2156 1 waiting for my Passport
    hlg8888 likes this.
    07-21-14 05:34 PM
    If it's a true 'classic': removable!
    07-22-14 07:23 AM
    I would venture to guess that most people do not use a second battery. Therefore BlackBerry will have the Classic fall into their existing lineup with a non removable battery.

Non removable batteries typically help lower production costs, reduce the device thickness and are generally higher capacity then a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK and Mistik like this.
    07-22-14 07:31 PM
    You might be surprised!
    07-22-14 11:47 PM
    I would venture to guess that most people do not use a second battery. Therefore BlackBerry will have the Classic fall into their existing lineup with a non removable battery.

Non removable batteries typically help lower production costs, reduce the device thickness and are generally higher capacity then a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    Last I heard, "most people" buy iPhones. The market has clearly spoken that "most people" just aren't that interested in "iBerries". Pretty safe to claim that most BlackBerry users have removable battery devices.

How many of those actually use the spare battery feature is a good debate. How many actually use the air bags in their cars? Hopefully never but arguably good to have, ntl.

I agree, tho, that given BBRY's attitude, fixed battery on Q20 seems likely. A terrible mistake, IMO, but what's new?
    hlg8888 likes this.
    07-24-14 07:41 AM
    From some pictures I saw on dhabkirkdesigns, the SD card slot and sim card are under a tray on the left side so seems like it's non removable

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:19 AM
    Removable like on the classic BlackBerrys and a 3500+ maH battery! Please!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    07-26-14 01:48 AM
    Last I heard, "most people" buy iPhones. The market has clearly spoken that "most people" just aren't that interested in "iBerries". Pretty safe to claim that most BlackBerry users have removable battery devices.

How many of those actually use the spare battery feature is a good debate. How many actually use the air bags in their cars? Hopefully never but arguably good to have, ntl.

I agree, tho, that given BBRY's attitude, fixed battery on Q20 seems likely. A terrible mistake, IMO, but what's new?
    There's mounting pressure to make phones thinner and lighter. One of the easiest compromises you can make to get the thinnest, lightest phone possible is making the battery permanent.

I'm still not clear on what the difference is between carrying a spare battery and a pocket charger, though, especially if that charger is slim enough to hold while you're using the phone. Agreed, it's mildly awkward to hold both the phone and the charger at the same time, but you can plug the charger in without having to end a call, power down, and reboot the phone to do a battery change.

After using a Z30 for most of the past year, my biggest concern about the battery is the knowledge that it will deteriorate eventually. That sucks, but I'm a handy enough technician that I can open the phone up and replace that myself when the time comes.
    07-26-14 01:55 AM
    Well, as a single handed user, i feel my 99 is too thin, too wide and too tall. As an engineer, i'm having great trouble seeing significant dimensional advantage between fixed and swappable battery configurations. The battery cover on my 99 isn't any thicker than the "fixed" cover on the 30, as far a i can tell. ???

Several in my office have opined that they think the fixed battery cover trend might make things easier for FCC compliance certs. IDK. I can see where the removable cover on my 99 complicates NFC. I just can't connect the dots into seeing significant, if any, space savings with fixed batts. But then, i've never designed a phone so... ??

I've tried the pocket chargers and keep one in my briefcase, jic. None i have found can match the compactness of a bare 9900 battery for actually fitting, unobtrusively, in a pocket. My phone slides in and out of it's holster half a dozen times per hr on a very slow day. Wires complicate that. The snap in "pocket chargers" would have to stick into the side of my 99 but the bottom usb port of the 20 offers possible options there. The holster would need to be designed to accommodate the extended length. That's possible but i'm already expecting the 20 to be a handful, lengthwise. Accommodating the additional length of a snap in battpack on the bottom is an intimidating thought.. dunno till we get one and try it.
    07-26-14 08:07 AM
    Chen promised us great battery life but not a user swappable one. Photos show features similar to every other device with built-in batteries. They haven't said it out loud yet but the writing seems to be on the wall.

I've loved this feature on my BlackBerry phones but it will not be a deal breaker for me. Personally, I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone and a potentially loose back if it means I can also swap batteries. I do think it's a little odd that they'd take a device like the Classic, which is clearly designed for those who place importance on function over form, and leave out a valued feature. Sadly, I have no influence at BlackBerry.

Currently, I'm planning to hang on to my Q10 charging bundle and spare batteries to use as a backup power source for my Classic. The charging bundle is not much larger than a spare battery.
    07-26-14 10:11 AM
    Just creating the chamber for a swappable battery to sit in consumes valuable space within a handset. It also adds another SKU to the accessories sales channel.

I get that attaching a battery pack prevents you from putting your device back in the holster, but there are workarounds.

Certainly, in the case of the Passport the battery is so massive that it will likely support a couple days typical use, so maybe it's not as much an issue. Don't know the capacity of the Classic's battery yet.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-27-14 04:30 AM
    I think if the Classic is really trying to target the set-in-their-ways Legacy BBOS users, they have to make the battery removable.
    Like the toolbar being absent from the Q devices, a permanent battery would probably cause massive withdrawal symptoms for those users. They don't want to adjust, they just want better tech that is 100% identical (somehow...).
    _____
    Since I got the MP-2100 battery pack (and some cheap solar charging pack that sucks) I have not found the need to actually change batteries at all.
    The charging speed of such packs is usually better than the drain of using your device, and they are slim enough to be used at the same time. They even hold a bigger charge because they too are non-removable themselves.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    07-27-14 04:37 AM
    Somewhat off topic, would replacing a nonremovable battery by yourself be out of the question? Or are those types of phone typically too complicated?

Posted with no typos using the Q10
    07-28-14 07:14 PM
    .... Like the toolbar being absent from the Q devices, a permanent battery would probably cause massive withdrawal symptoms for those users. They don't want to adjust, they just want better tech that is 100% identical (somehow...).
    It's not about being "set in our ways"... It's totally about what works better for our needs. Demonstrate where a fixed battery improves my daily productivity and i'll be ALL over it. It don't, it wont and it can't improve MY daily productivity. Your mileage obviously varies.

I keep an external charger pack handy for occasional mid call charging but it is otherwise a PITA to carry around while trying to get WORK done. It's NOT a suitable substitute for removable battery, IMO. At least for the way my phone is used. I don't even remember when the last time i charged the thing thru the usb port. Swapping batts gets it back to fully charged "ready for business" condition with NO "tether to the wall time" and NO wires or appendages sticking from the device.

I'm about as tech forward as ANYone you'll likely find. The ONLY way i'm SET in is seeking TRUE technological advancement. Fixed batts are a giant leap backward, IMO. Don't hand me less and call it "more".

Otherwise i agree, ppl accustom to the superior redundancy of swappable batt packs universal in legacy, Z10, Q10, etc will likely resent being handed less and told it's more.
    Anatomy and hlg8888 like this.
    07-28-14 11:34 PM
    Somewhat off topic, would replacing a nonremovable battery by yourself be out of the question? Or are those types of phone typically too complicated?

Posted with no typos using the Q10
    Good question. The Z30 doesn't seem to be as "user proof" as Apple makes them, from what I know of it. The 3 "smart guys" I work with dissected a Z30 & commented it was a "piece of cake" (whatever that meant) but I couldn't be there to witnesses that surgery with my own eyes that day. They seemed satisfied that the device could be modified to accept a swappable batt back. We have respectable in-house fabrication capabilities. They seemed most concerned about impacting FCC compliance by modding. One of the guys once worked with FCC so ... IDK about mods. ??

BUT, to answer your question, it sounds like replacing the batt a few times during the device's lifespan is "a piece of cake". R&R a few times during the week might be a PITA, from what I've gathered.
    07-29-14 06:38 AM
    Well you can't name the Blackberry a Classic one if it doesn't offer a removable battery, that would be a disaster name and PR wise.
    That being said, I think the "non removable battery + usb charging kit crowd" doesn't fully understand the point of having a removable battery (no offense):

It's not just about the security of going a whole day without charging for me personally it's more about repairing the device if the battery goes AWOL, degrates or stops working. I have my tasks, appointments saved on my phone I can't and will not accept having to send it to the next Blackberry sstore and get it back in ~ 3 weeks, period.

Right now I'm on Android but if BB get's their act together and can provide a basically BBB 9900 with just mid 2013 specs I'd gladly go back, nothing beats a BB + a fully customized Shortcutme in terms of flying through your phone :-)

I absolutely loved the new Passport, till I've found out that the gesture sensitive keyboard isn't able to replace another musthave (toolbelt) and the battery won't be removable ..sadly that's two absolute nonos for me. So yeah let us all hope BB learned from their Q series mistakes and will finally release a so much needed BBB 9900 successor..which in my mind has been the best Blackberry ever made, sadly my carrier didn't offer it and at the time it was $ 750 unlocked (little bit too high for me back then..).
    idssteve and Q10Bold like this.
    07-29-14 05:48 PM
    removable
    08-04-14 01:54 PM
    removable
    Source?

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    08-04-14 02:34 PM
    I'm not even going to consider the Classic without a removable battery.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Carrtman, donemt, dmlis and 2 others like this.
    08-04-14 02:43 PM
    Q10 spare battery gets used once a fortnight or daily on holidays. Swap and go. Too easy.

Posted via CB10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    08-04-14 10:36 PM
    Look at the name of this device. Of course it's going to have a removable battery. 100% positive on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    08-06-14 10:54 PM
    Look at the name of this device. Of course it's going to have a removable battery. 100% positive on this one.

Yeah naming something Classic and then not adding an essential feature would be stupid.
    08-07-14 05:28 AM

Don't be so sure, just yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 03:00 AM
89 1234