View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for the classic Removable battery or non-removable battery

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry Classic NEEDS a Removable battery ASAP!

56 72.73%
  • I don't care about the battery at all (long as the phone works)

20 25.97%
  • I don't know what on earth Blackberry are doing....

4 5.19%
  • Bring back the 'BOLD'

5 6.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I don't know how you're getting that much time out of your 9900. I had the 9900 and the battery life was pretty bad. Not terrible, I can usually just squeeze out an entire day from it, but under heavy use it was much less. My Bold 9000 on the other hand, that thing lasted forever...

But just remember that newer phones use more power, so for a battery to last over a day would need to be quite large.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Aftermarket 3600mAh extended batt gets 9900 to 3 days pretty reliably. Had to fit up holster and cradles to fit but i like the added thickness for grip. Of course it all depends on use and signal strength for any of them.
    10-07-14 06:36 PM
    Aftermarket 3600mHr extended batt gets 9900 to 3 days pretty reliably. Had to fit up holster and cradles to fit but i like the added thickness for grip. Of course it all depends on use and signal strength for any of them.
    Oh ok, that explains it. Well, like the iphone, there are cases that have a built in battery to extend the battery life. Not the perfect solution I know...

10-07-14 06:43 PM
    I just dropped in the BlackBerry Classic thread and saw this.

For me, I would love it if BlackBerry Classic would have a removable battery. Not because I am fond of swapping batteries but for practical purposes. If you want to keep the phone for longer period (about 3-5 years at max), it would be wise. We all know that our legacy devices lasts for such period because any phone, even smartphones, have long life span, which batteries normally have approximately 3000 battery cycles. Meaning the longer you have been using the battery, it's performance will really depreciate.

I also love the idea of swapping batteries since I want to walk around malls, parks, everywhere, and no need to hang around with wires attached on my phone.

Either removable or non-removable will the Classic's battery be, I'm still giving it much consideration.
    1. I love the BlackBerry Physical Keyboard.
    2. I need a phone. I'm not a fan of using "huge" phones. I have very petite hands. And Classic says it's a very sleek phone. Love slim phone. (One of the reasons that I hold why I am doubting that the Passport would be fit for me)
    3. As long as the battery lasts me for atleast 12 hrs, I guess am fine with it.

For now, I'm staying True to my Q.

"Blackberry is the extension of my hand" - C00182421
    10-07-14 06:49 PM
    I just dropped in the BlackBerry Classic thread and saw this.

For me, I would love it if BlackBerry Classic would have a removable battery. Not because I am fond of swapping batteries but for practical purposes. If you want to keep the phone for longer period (about 3-5 years at max), it would be wise. We all know that our legacy devices lasts for such period because any phone, even smartphones, have long life span, which batteries normally have approximately 3000 battery cycles. Meaning the longer you have been using the battery, it's performance will really depreciate.

I also love the idea of swapping batteries since I want to walk around malls, parks, everywhere, and no need to hang around with wires attached on my phone.

Either removable or non-removable will the Classic's battery be, I'm still giving it much consideration.
    1. I love the BlackBerry Physical Keyboard.
    2. I need a phone. I'm not a fan of using "huge" phones. I have very petite hands. And Classic says it's a very sleek phone. Love slim phone. (One of the reasons that I hold why I am doubting that the Passport would be fit for me)
    3. As long as the battery lasts me for atleast 12 hrs, I guess am fine with it.

For now, I'm staying True to my Q.

I understand the argument of needing to change batteries after a few years. I regularly open up phones so it's all good with me as long as I can buy batteries for it from ebay or something...

10-07-14 06:53 PM
    I preferred removable battery. I can swap extra battery when ever I want.
    10-09-14 02:28 AM
    I preferred removable battery. I can swap extra battery when ever I want.
    Do you think its okay to buy spare batteries even without the charger bundle? thanks
    10-09-14 09:08 AM
    I'm still on the Bold 9900. I will get it regardless of what specs it has (except if they're worse than the 9900 )
    10-09-14 10:07 AM
    I'm still on the Bold 9900. I will get it regardless of what specs it has (except if they're worse than the 9900 )
    Good for you, the specs of the classic destory the BOLD9900.....

it would be amazing if they released BBOS7 on the classic with those system specs lol
    10-09-14 10:46 PM
    Good for you, the specs of the classic destory the BOLD9900.....

it would be amazing if they released BBOS7 on the classic with those system specs lol
    BBOS is complete hodge podge garbage compared to BB10. I love hour glass, waiting for nothing to load, battery pulls, the whole phone freezing for no reason, restarting when you download or delete an app, man BBOS sure is magical! Oh wait.
    10-10-14 09:01 AM
    BBOS is complete hodge podge garbage compared to BB10. I love hour glass, waiting for nothing to load, battery pulls, the whole phone freezing for no reason, restarting when you download or delete an app, man BBOS sure is magical! Oh wait.
    Sounds like my old Storm, to me. lol. But seriously, do you really think that insulting the car someone is currently driving will sell new cars? Do you really think that, after 3+ years of ownership, legacy users aren't aware of the limitations of those devices? Your experience with BBOS was obviously very negative, and there's plenty to be negative about, but not ALL legacy users share your experiences. I, personally, have not seen the so called "spinning clock" for so long that i truly don't recall what it really looked like... is it an "hour glass" or ?? I'm typing this on my 9930 with 7.1.0.1066 and have not yet found a way to FORCE the thing to show it's "spinning clock"... ??? Same with "freezing". Haven't loaded a new app since week one, so "restarting" for new apps is non-issue for me. The ability to pull the battery is, itself, a VERY valued FEATURE, IMO. Was your experience based on early OS's ?? Or??

Or, are you saying that you've tested, or have credible reports of testing, with 7.1.0.1066 running on a 1.5Ghz, 2GB device? OR that you've tested BB10 on a 500MHz, 512MB device?

Again, if you intend to sell new devices to legacy users, insulting their device and/or their intelligence is NO way to do that. The tool belt equipped Q20 "Classic" will sell itself. No need to call ANYone's preference "garbage", IMO.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-11-14 at 10:43 AM.
    10-11-14 09:27 AM
    We're all BlackBerry brothers here.... relax guys lol.

Classic will be awesome, i just hope it comes with that 3000+Mah Battery.
    10-11-14 12:01 PM
    We're all BlackBerry brothers here.... relax guys lol.

Classic will be awesome, i just hope it comes with that 3000+Mah Battery.
    Man... if it comes with that 3,000+ battery... I'd lineup outside in the middle of winter to get one.
    10-11-14 12:42 PM
    It's currently 1:40 pm on the east coast. I just went below 20% battery left on my Q10. This despite starting the day at 100%, being on Wifi for all but 90 minutes, and having my screen brightness at 50%. This is typical for me on days I'm not in the office. It shows the absolute need for a removable battery in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    10-11-14 12:45 PM
    It's currently 1:40 pm on the east coast. I just went below 20% battery left on my Q10. This despite starting the day at 100%, being on Wifi for all but 90 minutes, and having my screen brightness at 50%. This is typical for me on days I'm not in the office. It shows the absolute need for a removable battery in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I also have Q10, I have my screen brightness on 100% and spend most of the day on the network, not on wifi, and my battery lasts all day. Something isn't right. How is your network coverage? Is it spotty or does your carrier give good coverage?

Edit: It is almost 1440 now and I have 82% battery left and my system monitor says 1 day and 4 hours left...

10-11-14 01:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Your batt might be aging weak? No quicker way back to 100% than a batt swap. Even if it takes 5 minutes to reboot, that's 100% charge in 5 minutes. No battery technology readily available can re-charge faster, AFAIK. I carry a spare internal batt in my pocket. Also, an external usb "charger battery" to plug in mid-conversation to prevent interruptions when needed. Sure looks like it wouldn't take much of a bump to damage usb with that thing sticking out so internal batt swap is tops, imo. Aftermarket makes some good extended batts. Most aren't very good but the good ones really help.
    hlg8888 and dmlis like this.
    10-11-14 01:38 PM
    Sorry Slagman, but it's a known fact that after year 1 your non-removable and my removable battery will have degraded to 70% of the initial capacity. Thus if you're able to make it through the day now on one full charge that won't be the case after year 1, meaning you will have to carry your powerpack to charge your battery, which will degrade faster because it won't be getting a full charge. I will just buy a new set of batteries and be alright.

Posted via CB10
    Known fact? Somehow this has not been my experience. I have not had any battery (removable or non-removable) degrade like that even in 2 years, regardless of whether a BlackBerry, iPhone or Android device!

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    10-11-14 01:50 PM
    I will not get the Classic if the battery is fixed.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:03 PM
    I will not get the Classic if the battery is fixed.

Posted via CB10
    I've been wondering all week if you would or not... ;-)
    10-11-14 04:55 PM
    To be honest, I couldn't even believe that the Passport was getting a fixed battery, now imagine my shock when I heard the Classic was going to be the same thing when it was supposed to be CLASSIC. There's absolutely nothing better than having 0% of charge, swap batteries and having 100% again in one minute. I would never ever in my life buy a "mobile" charger. People saying that they don't want to carry an extra battery but they do can carry the charger? Please at that point it's just stupid to charge the device while you walk or whatever instead of having 100% of charge with one swap. That's one point. The other one which I fully agree, what happens when the battery starts to degrade? I can't just swap it right? Yes, right! I have to watch a video of how to disassemble my phone with the huge risk of breaking it or leaving a chip on the finish. So now I guess I have to send my phone to a dude to make the job for me? I still have very old models like the 8320 and 9000, and yes I can buy a new battery because those are still available. But do you think it will be easy to get a brand new battery for these fixed battery models in 5 years? I highly doubt that we'll be able to find brand new batteries when they're not suppose to be in production since your device doesn't even have the option for it. Maybe there will be only third-party batteries. But brand new OEM? I don't think so. Any way, having said that, I will still buy both phones, so I guess is not a deal breaker for me since they have huge capabilities, but I will always prefer swappable batteries, and I really think this was a very bad decision by Chen. Never force us to something like that, always let us have the option to decide if we swap the battery someday or if we'll never even remove it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DiegoV_G; 10-11-14 at 06:27 PM.
    dmlis and coffeeaddict305 like this.
    10-11-14 05:59 PM
    I believe it's part marketing in suchh a way that when your battery performance starts to decrease, you are in need to buy the new/latest device.

I just need a device that could atleast make me laast for atleast 12-15hrs at best. Am happy with it. If classic would be non removable, it should have atleast 3k+ mAh.

10-11-14 08:08 PM
    Fixed battery reduces cost and complexity of device. Reduces size of phone while allowing same size or larger battery. Eliminates accidental resets (a la the Q10). And no more loose Q10 battery cover!

Basically, I'm all for the non-removable battery. I just hope that it is big enough, and that it won't be too difficult to get replaced (after a year, I usually want a new batt).

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:48 PM
    Known fact? Somehow this has not been my experience. I have not had any battery (removable or non-removable) degrade like that even in 2 years, regardless of whether a BlackBerry, iPhone or Android device!

Posted via CB10
    Exact figure can be debated, but battery degradation is known fact, indeed. Doesn't matter what OS or device type is used.
    From my own experience, just few examples of battery health % after certain period: BB9700 30% - 3 years, BB Playbook 80% - 1 year, HP Touchpad 20% - 2.5 years, Lenovo laptop 15% - 3 years. And max 60% after 2 years on several smartphones (mine and my family members) with Android OS: HTC, Motorola, Sony.
    10-12-14 12:57 PM
    Fixed battery reduces cost and complexity of device. Reduces size of phone while allowing same size or larger battery. Eliminates accidental resets (a la the Q10). And no more loose Q10 battery cover!

Basically, I'm all for the non-removable battery. I just hope that it is big enough, and that it won't be too difficult to get replaced (after a year, I usually want a new batt).

Posted via CB10
    I have the same opinion on this.
    The trade-offs for a removable battery are just too many.

And additionally, who does even buy spare batteries nowadays? To be honest, I don't know a single person owning a spare battery for their phones, no matter whether or not the phone has a removable battery. And I know a lot of business people, especially frequent travelers.

The thing is that you can charge your phone on every corner now, in lots of airplane seats or in your car. There's no real need of a spare battery.
    However producing and selling them adds complexity to the whole retail system and most probably it generates a lot of unsold inventory.

So in conclusion I am much happier with long lasting batteries than with the option to switch them.
    awindsr likes this.
    10-12-14 01:33 PM
    I have the same opinion on this.
    The trade-offs for a removable battery are just too many.

And additionally, who does even buy spare batteries nowadays? To be honest, I don't know a single person owning a spare battery for their phones, no matter whether or not the phone has a removable battery. And I know a lot of business people, especially frequent travelers.

The thing is that you can charge your phone on every corner now, in lots of airplane seats or in your car. There's no real need of a spare battery.
    However producing and selling them adds complexity to the whole retail system and most probably it generates a lot of unsold inventory.

So in conclusion I am much happier with long lasting batteries than with the option to switch them.
    In the last 6 years, I know of only one person who has bought a spare battery - me. And, I never had to use it. I sold the phone (a BB Curve) after 2 years to upgrade, without a noticeable battery degradation that would justify the use of the spare battery. So, I am with you on this. Personally, I also prefer a large capacity non-removable battery over a smaller removable one that I'll have to charge mid day!

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:14 PM
    In the last 6 years, I know of only one person who has bought a spare battery - me. And, I never had to use it. I sold the phone (a BB Curve) after 2 years to upgrade, without a noticeable battery degradation that would justify the use of the spare battery. So, I am with you on this. Personally, I also prefer a large capacity non-removable battery over a smaller removable one that I'll have to charge mid day!

Posted via CB10
    Battery degradation doesn't worry me because I know how to take phones apart in order to change them anyway...

Mr4aces likes this.
    10-12-14 04:55 PM
197 12345 ...