View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for the classic Removable battery or non-removable battery

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry Classic NEEDS a Removable battery ASAP!

56 72.73%
  • I don't care about the battery at all (long as the phone works)

20 25.97%
  • I don't know what on earth Blackberry are doing....

4 5.19%
  • Bring back the 'BOLD'

5 6.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I definitely used my Q10's extra battery. Both of them were very weak after only a year/year and a half.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-12-14 06:24 PM
    Battery degradation doesn't worry me because I know how to take phones apart in order to change them anyway...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    It's a nice feature for a spare on heavy use days like at a conference. You can carry one in your pocket vs. a bulky mini charger with cable. Also, when the battery gets stale you can swap out for a fresh one (with the 1st moving to your spare). Understandably most won't need this. I'm a road warrior so these are cool options to have for me...
    dmlis and Chrisy like this.
    10-13-14 04:39 AM
    It's a nice feature for a spare on heavy use days like at a conference. You can carry one in your pocket vs. a bulky mini charger with cable. Also, when the battery gets stale you can swap out for a fresh one (with the 1st moving to your spare). Understandably most won't need this. I'm a road warrior so these are cool options to have for me...
    I agree that a removable battery may come handy in some situations. The question is whether on the grand scheme of things this inconvenience in rare situations outweighs the disadvantages pointed out by various people in this thread. I do not know the answer, but for me, if I have to choose between a large non-removable battery and a smaller removable one, I will pick the large non-removable battery every time.
    10-13-14 06:20 AM
    I have the same opinion on this.
    The trade-offs for a removable battery are just too many.

And additionally, who does even buy spare batteries nowadays? To be honest, I don't know a single person owning a spare battery for their phones, no matter whether or not the phone has a removable battery. And I know a lot of business people, especially frequent travelers.

The thing is that you can charge your phone on every corner now, in lots of airplane seats or in your car. There's no real need of a spare battery.
    However producing and selling them adds complexity to the whole retail system and most probably it generates a lot of unsold inventory.

So in conclusion I am much happier with long lasting batteries than with the option to switch them.
    First and foremost to me the Blackberry Q10 is a mobile business communication tool. Hence it needs to be portable (no powerpack) and useful (aesthetics not important)

Let's say you have a day filled with meetings in Stockholm. Of course you don't drive from meeting to meeting, right. Here we can't park the cars within the 15 minutes in between meetings. So there's no way I can charge my phone in the car in 15 minutes.

Secondly, I don't know about you but on British Airways across the continent they don't provide charging points on the plane. And if you happen to see a charging point on Heathrow, chances are they've already been taken by that gorgeous I-phone owner.

Point is I need mine for work and I need it to work always --------->removable battery

Posted via CB10
    idssteve, dmlis and Chrisy like this.
    10-13-14 09:15 AM

Point is I need mine for work and I need it to work always --------->removable battery

Posted via CB10
    But what about the reboot? It isn't working "always" at that point.
    10-13-14 09:25 AM
    But what about the reboot? It isn't working "always" at that point.
    Five minutes to 100%, at most. You can choose your time and return messages five minutes later. Run down a fixed battery device till shutdown and good luck getting it back in service, and keeping it there, in 5 minutes.

All irrelevant by now. The Q20 "Classic" will be what it will be, at this point. We'll need some feedback on good external batts pretty soon.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-13-14 09:31 AM
    So no car charger or anything like that?

10-13-14 09:35 AM
    Five minutes to 100%, at most. You can choose your time and return messages five minutes later. Run down a fixed battery device till shutdown and good luck getting it back in service in 5 minutes.

All irrelevant by now. The Q20 "Classic" will be what it will be, at this point. We'll need some feedback on good external batts pretty soon.
    Yes, but if "always" on is the goal, I'd pack the external battery to use with device even if it had a removable battery.

Then, by extension, if I had to pick between the external battery (that can charge several accessories on the go) and an extra battery (which might not even fit the next device in the model series), the extra battery becomes less of a good investment.
    10-13-14 09:37 AM
    Yes, but if "always" on is the goal, I'd pack the external battery to use with device even if it had a removable battery.

Then, by extension, if I had to pick between the external battery (that can charge several accessories on the go) and an extra battery (which might not even fit the next device in the model series), the extra battery becomes less of a good investment.
    Yep, i pack both. The external can be plugged in mid call to get me through the call. Externals are not without their issues, tho. I'm always worried about bumping mine and damaging the usb port. The Q20's bottom mounted usb provides some positive possibilities, tho.
    10-13-14 09:42 AM
    I bought a charging pack for my z10 which could be used as an external charger or to swap batteries.
    Best of both worlds, until it broke anyway

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-13-14 10:25 AM
    My Z10 has a horrific battery - I can fully charge it and then shut if off - turn it back on 4 days later and am lucky if it's got 50% battery left! I leave the house at around 7:30am and by noon it's in the red. My Q10 has a much better battery but there are many days I have to plug it in OR if I'm away from power have to swap in a fresh battery. On top of it I had to cycle through a couple of Q10's before I ended up with one that didn't have quirks with the key board and the phone still suffers from "re-set syndrome" if the device isn't gently placed on a counter.

The classic better have a long lasting battery because if it doesn't the device will get all kinds of bad press - blackberry couldn't afford the bad press it got on it's BB10 releases and more bad press, especially a battery issue, will finally prove everyone right who said BB should have just got out of the game.

Let's hope that blackberry,like they used to, put a little effort and homework into building the classic with quality and incredible battery life!
    10-20-14 12:13 AM
    I would stick with my Q10 but not because of the non-removable battery... if the rumors are true my Q10 have the same screen, the same prosser (kinda), the same RAM, the same Keyboard & the same version of OS 10 (eventually), the belt isn't a good enough reason to upgrade

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:16 AM
    I am a busy othopedic surgeon and i have a bold 9900 and i have a removable battery. I use it often. The one battery often lasts all day until i sleep. But if i use a battery heavy app like GPS or bluetooth (which for me is always on as is wifi) by 10pm often or sooner i often have to switch to the other battery and this takes two seconds and i'm back and running. It's a life saver. I hope the blackberry classic has a removable battery. I have never had any spontaenous reboots or bad contacts because of the removable battery.

Black berry is better because it's more efficient than apple and other phones because of the physical keyboard the design of the phone. It doesn't have the lastest social media stuff that tweeners use to post their entire life to everyone and their dog but who wants to do this anyways (status update: I am away on vacation! please rob my house! Duh why do this? ) Blackberry is efficient. It has facebook, gps, word and pdf reader, picture abs where you can write on pics, calculator, wheather apps, etc. It's a computer in my hand. But the bold is getting slow (processing speed) and front facing camera would be nice as would a better camera resolution but the track pad increases efficiency so i didn't get the q10. Facetime would be nice as skype would also.
    i will get the classic because Chen was smart enough to bring back the belt but i hope the classic has a removable battery. It's not a deal breaker however like the lack of a track pad and tool belt were but why not have it.

Not having to wait to recharge your battery which means not having to stay physically connected to a wall means higher efficiency. Don't diminish what makes you better Blackberry

Thanks

Phil
    Chrisy and boilerkim like this.
    11-07-14 02:58 PM
    I am a busy othopedic surgeon and i have a bold 9900 and i have a removable battery. I use it often. The one battery often lasts all day until i sleep. But if i use a battery heavy app like GPS or bluetooth (which for me is always on as is wifi) by 10pm often or sooner i often have to switch to the other battery and this takes two seconds and i'm back and running. It's a life saver. I hope the blackberry classic has a removable battery. I have never had any spontaenous reboots or bad contacts because of the removable battery.

Black berry is better because it's more efficient than apple and other phones because of the physical keyboard the design of the phone. It doesn't have the lastest social media stuff that tweeners use to post their entire life to everyone and their dog but who wants to do this anyways (status update: I am away on vacation! please rob my house! Duh why do this? ) Blackberry is efficient. It has facebook, gps, word and pdf reader, picture abs where you can write on pics, calculator, wheather apps, etc. It's a computer in my hand. But the bold is getting slow (processing speed) and front facing camera would be nice as would a better camera resolution but the track pad increases efficiency so i didn't get the q10. Facetime would be nice as skype would also.
    i will get the classic because Chen was smart enough to bring back the belt but i hope the classic has a removable battery. It's not a deal breaker however like the lack of a track pad and tool belt were but why not have it.

Not having to wait to recharge your battery which means not having to stay physically connected to a wall means higher efficiency. Don't diminish what makes you better Blackberry

Thanks

Phil
    If you can go a full day on the 9900's battery (which is pretty terrible when compared to the Q10) then the Classic's battery will probably last you 3 days...

11-07-14 04:00 PM
    The removable battery will be a deal breaker for me. My iPhone 5s can last me through 4pm with "normal use". Unless I can swap the battery on the go, there's no point in switching to Blackberry.

I tried the Passport, but it cannot be used with one hand.
    hlg8888 and Chrisy like this.
    11-07-14 07:23 PM
    Still strange something branded as "Classic" wouldn't have a removable battery. Swapping out batteries has been a RIM mainstay. Its also nice to put a fresh one in after a year... just like with a laptop.
    hlg8888, dmlis, Chrisy and 1 others like this.
    11-07-14 07:39 PM
    The removable battery will be a deal breaker for me. My iPhone 5s can last me through 4pm with "normal use". Unless I can swap the battery on the go, there's no point in switching to Blackberry.

I tried the Passport, but it cannot be used with one hand.
    I don't think BlackBerry is going to make a last minute major design change to a removable battery. If it counts for anything, at least the Classic will have it's charging port on the bottom which will allow the creation of battery cases by 3rd party accessory makers not look horrid.
    11-07-14 08:14 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry is going to make a last minute major design change to a removable battery. If it counts for anything, at least the Classic will have it's charging port on the bottom which will allow the creation of battery cases by 3rd party accessory makers not look horrid.
    ...and maybe a charging cradle. miss that.
    11-07-14 08:47 PM
    No... wireless qi chanring mat will be usable and that's great news !

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 09:24 PM
    No... wireless qi chanring mat will be usable and that's great news !

Posted via CB10
    OK - maybe a standie then for bedside clock mode.
    11-07-14 11:42 PM
    ...and maybe a charging cradle. miss that.
    Yeah, the charging cradles were cool. I guess now, with BB10, as soon as the device is plugged in to charge it's ready for bedside mode so if they add wireless charging, something like a TYLT charger will be one of the first things I order.

elgolfman likes this.
    11-08-14 06:55 AM
    It should be removable. Thats the main reason why i didnt upgraded my z10 to the z30 even if i liked it the forst time i saw it. Im from philippines and i have no chance of getting it fixed. The closest bb center on my country is at singapore. Thats insane just to have support. Hahaha

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:50 AM
    It should be removable. Thats the main reason why i didnt upgraded my z10 to the z30 even if i liked it the forst time i saw it. Im from philippines and i have no chance of getting it fixed. The closest bb center on my country is at singapore. Thats insane just to have support. Hahaha

Posted via CB10
    I have like a $20 tool set and I can fix just about any phone with it. Used it multiple times allready for myself and others. Paid itself off multiple times already...

11-08-14 01:22 PM
    So the Galaxy have a removable battery, and the super battery saver mode that makes the screen black and white and actually turns off the black pixels (which it can do because it's an AMOLED display and not a back-lit LCD). To me, that's TWO advantages in battery life alone. In today's world of constant data pushing, battery life is crucial, and while Samsung has decided to move forward, it appears that everyone else is moving backwards. The Q10 has an AMOLED display but the classic is reportedly going to be a TFT LCD. My question is, if this is being touted as a productivity/business phone, why not either take a page from Samsung's book, keep the AMOLED and use existing technology in the display to help improve battery life, or keep the removable battery? Or better yet, DO BOTH?! One of the things I loved about my old blackberry devices was that I could carry an extra battery and literally NEVER worry about running out of juice. I don't understand the benefit of these external chargers, I don't want to have to worry about bulky chargers the cord to charge the charger and the cord to connect them to my phone... I could just have single, slim spare battery. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Why have we over complicated this? It would be nice to have an incredibly simple yet reliable backup plan when we need to send that last work email... Maybe on the Classic II... But yes, I will still be getting a classic because there are so many positives that outweigh this one negative.
    Chrisy and hlg8888 like this.
    11-08-14 04:00 PM
    Yeah, the charging cradles were cool. I guess now, with BB10, as soon as the device is plugged in to charge it's ready for bedside mode so if they add wireless charging, something like a TYLT charger will be one of the first things I order.

http://i.imgur.com/e5SMgxR.jpg
    Then this is perfect!
    11-08-14 06:58 PM
197 ... 23456 ...