I plan on getting the Q20 at launch, maybe even sight unseen, BUT if they announce that the battery is not replaceable...its gonna be a sad sad day

Posted via CB10
    allwi and MSPresident like this.
    03-02-14 11:16 PM
    Replaceable or removable?

If it's going to be like the Q5, it won't be as foolproof as the Z10/Q10, but it won't be soldered shut like an iPhone, either. If the battery gets worn out or something, then it's totally possible to fix.
    03-03-14 12:33 AM
    Why is it sad? 99% of Z30 users come back to a outlet before they run out of power.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-03-14 12:50 AM
    I'm just concerned about battery quality with non-removable. I have 2 with my Z10, and the original battery doesn't perform as well as the one that came with the charging bundle. So I now use the second battery as the main, and keep the under-performing battery as the emergency backup most of the time.
    MSPresident likes this.
    03-03-14 09:16 AM
    I'm just concerned about battery quality with non-removable. I have 2 with my Z10, and the original battery doesn't perform as well as the one that came with the charging bundle. So I now use the second battery as the main, and keep the under-performing battery as the emergency backup most of the time.
    It's more likely for non removable to be of higher quality.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    TheDutch20 likes this.
    03-03-14 09:37 AM
    Why is it sad? 99% of Z30 users come back to a outlet before they run out of power.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    1. The Q20 isn't a Z30, but I do like trend in battery quality that I'm seeing with every release.
    2. I like the luxury of having the second battery "just in case" (that sounds like a cool brand of cell phone cases lol)
    3. I will be passing on it if I can't remove it

Posted via CB10
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    03-03-14 09:38 AM
    I'm a power freak and non-removable batteries make me nervous

I'm bringing 2 backup batteries with my Q10 which give me peace of mind

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 08:36 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Batteries have a limited life span, they start to lose capacity after use. Eventually you will need to replace the battery with a new one...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-04-14 12:34 AM
    Batteries have a limited life span, they start to lose capacity after use. Eventually you will need to replace the battery with a new one...

Yup

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 12:37 PM

Which usually by that time people upgrade. But I don't think replacing the battery would cost a lot.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-06-14 05:09 PM

Harvey Norman give you a three year warranty on the phone for an extra fee. It is a replacement warranty with no downtime, not a repair warranty.

They say, if the battery is integrated and dies, they will will replace the whole phone, with same or superior model that is comparable within the same series at the time of exchange. Doesn't sound bad? How can I make the battery die after a year or two, so I get my free upgrade, is that the question?

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    03-10-14 04:33 AM
    Harvey Norman give you a three year warranty on the phone for an extra fee. It is a replacement warranty with no downtime, not a repair warranty.

They say, if the battery is integrated and dies, they will will replace the whole phone, with same or superior model that is comparable within the same series at the time of exchange. Doesn't sound bad? How can I make the battery die after a year or two, so I get my free upgrade, is that the question?

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    Heat. Heat is a battery's worst enemy, charge it while using it and leave it like that. So like keep movies or mp3's playing while it's charging for a long time. That will kill your battery if you keep doing that, lol.

03-10-14 11:56 AM
    On the one hand, my Q10 reboots when I place it on a table wrong. This is due to a loose battery connection. Shimming the battery with cardboard helps, but doesn't completely fix the problem. A fixed battery wouldn't have this problem.

On the other hand, my Q10 went into a reboot loop the other day, and the only way to fix it was to remove the battery for a period of time. With a fixed battery, I would have had to wait for the battery to run down.

Posted via CB10
    Thogek likes this.
    03-10-14 12:40 PM
    On the one hand, my Q10 reboots when I place it on a table wrong. This is due to a loose battery connection. Shimming the battery with cardboard helps, but doesn't completely fix the problem. A fixed battery wouldn't have this problem.

On the other hand, my Q10 went into a reboot loop the other day, and the only way to fix it was to remove the battery for a period of time. With a fixed battery, I would have had to wait for the battery to run down.

Posted via CB10
    There are ways to redesign the contact points so that the reboot issue from dropping on a surface would not happen. It never happened with my 9900 or any other BB. So hopefully they will fix this in their next phone.

03-10-14 12:55 PM
    There are ways to redesign the contact points so that the reboot issue from dropping on a surface would not happen. It never happened with my 9900 or any other BB. So hopefully they will fix this in their next phone.
    Yeah it's never happened to me with any other phone either. Here's hoping they get it right next time.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 01:09 PM
    1. The Q20 isn't a Z30, but I do like trend in battery quality that I'm seeing with every release.
    2. I like the luxury of having the second battery "just in case" (that sounds like a cool brand of cell phone cases lol)
    3. I will be passing on it if I can't remove it

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I have had mornings when my Z10 was placed incorrectly on my dock charger. A battery swap saves the day :-).

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    Thogek likes this.
    03-10-14 08:28 PM
    Which usually by that time people upgrade. But I don't think replacing the battery would cost a lot.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You would have to send the phone in. I can't go an hour without my BlackBerry, more so days!!

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    03-10-14 08:29 PM
    There is no advantage with a battery that cannot be removed.
    Thogek likes this.
    03-11-14 09:37 PM
    Heat. Heat is a battery's worst enemy, charge it while using it and leave it like that. So like keep movies or mp3's playing while it's charging for a long time. That will kill your battery if you keep doing that, lol.

Please explain about the charging while using it. I had no idea that was bad for the battery. I have done that at times on my Q10.
    Is it also bad to use it while using those portable power packs that charge through the micro-usb?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 10:13 PM
    Please explain about the charging while using it. I had no idea that was bad for the battery. I have done that at times on my Q10.
    Is it also bad to use it while using those portable power packs that charge through the micro-usb?

Posted via CB10
    I mean like heavy use for prolonged times. Mainly because it heats it up a lot and charging also heats it up, so that kind of compounds the heat issue.

jope28 likes this.
    03-11-14 10:23 PM
    I'm a power freak and non-removable batteries make me nervous

I'm bringing 2 backup batteries with my Q10 which give me peace of mind

Posted via CB10
    Same here. If it's a non removable battery then it better be a very impressive one.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 01:45 AM
    There is no advantage with a battery that cannot be removed.
    Not true. A removable battery is more costly to produce because the contacts need to be bigger and more robust to survive battery changes. These same contacts will also take more space that could be used for other things such as a larger battery .

I also believe the removable battery is made with a harder and thicker shell which will also take more space and cost more.

Given the shift of most companies away from removable batteries should give a strong hint that it is much more cost effective.

Posted via my Z30
    03-14-14 09:23 AM