Hi Everyone

I used to be a BB user few years ago. Now I'm considering to get a Classic but I don't have any knowledge on BB's for over 3-4 years.
    So I have some questions regarding to Classic.

1- I have heard that Whatsapp is no longer working on the BBOS. Also heard that it works right now but they it will stop working by the end of the 2016. Is this true?

2- We can't use Telegram, Instagram and Viber too I think. Which are all important to me. I don't need any games or weird apps but these 4 apps are very important for me.

3- I've seen some threads about how to download these apps but since I have no knowledge can anyone explain the methods to me briefly. Also are the 3rd party programs that enables us to download these apps safe? Considering they are not officially released by Blackberry.

4- If I some how manage to download Viber, Telegram, Instagram and Whatsapp, would they act stable like on any other phone or there might be some problems such as errors or security vulnerabilities.

5- Would you recommend this phone? What are the things you like and hate about it? Is the media player on the Classic good and user friendly enough for me to listen music?

6- After I buy the phone what should I check on it to make sure nothing is wrong with the phone. Like any programs inside or any physical things such as trackpad being loose, or other sound buttons being loose or not. etc. Because I had some problems with Iphones earlier. I have bought 2 new Iphones and returned them because they had physical problems.

Thanks a lot.
    04-24-16 07:17 AM
    There are versions of Instagram made for BB but i don't know much about support for any BB apps anymore. I left BB last year to be honest. A classic will do ya for email and BBM but whatsapp is only partially working at this point from what i understand (no video). There is a severe lack of apps. Tinder and Telegram....no idea if they work. You need to load snap or Cobalt's method and then load the apps.

There are directions on this website for you, should you decide to buy a Classic. A classic owner will give you a better, more complete view of what the phone is like. As for me, i had BBs from 2008 up and left because i could not get fully functional apps that i wanted....my bank, my sports apps, google drive app, cloud storage apps, etc

I also do not play games but if i wanted to anything works now.....
    04-24-16 07:55 AM
    I have a Classic from a year ago. The best phone I've ever had. However a "great phone" will be for you depending on how it manages your critical needs or apps. So before buying it, do a list of your main uses and critical apps, look for their availability on BB world better than android version. Perhaps another matter is where do you see BBRY in the future. It has been a great company in the past, but still struggling not only in the handset market but also in the corporate software products; it's still a tough call to forecast.

I wish the company can make it, it's a pity that it doesn't do a better marketing of OS10, and make better specs phones.
    andy957 likes this.
    04-24-16 08:19 AM
    No I won't recommend you classic get an iPhone or Android

Posted via CB10
    04-24-16 11:40 AM
    Sounds like you would be happier with android although some of the apps That you want will require cobalts software for google play store If you still want to give the classic a go

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    04-24-16 11:46 AM
    Apps.....forget em..... typing texting emails.....dont even think,just buy. Hold the phone in your hand, youll feel the power

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-24-16 11:54 AM
    I recently switched back from Android to the Classic because of the look and feel, the keyboard and the bright display (maybe the brightest ever on a smartphone). I use very few Android Apps, the only BB10 apps I really need is Twitter and WhatsApp.

I might switch to the next BlackBerry Candybar QWERTY Android phone once it's beed released though.

Priv? No way, Snapdragon 808 combined with a qHD display was a bad idea. I want 720p or 1080p because 60fps matters.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-16 12:34 PM
    1. Correction, app support will end by 2016. WA should STILL work after that fact.

2. I just use Viber amongst those you mentioned and yes it doesn't work.

3. You may please use the search function in this forum, search for either Snap or Cobalt. Aside from forum threads, there are articles on how to use either of them.

4. Again, I only use Viber. You can still sideload Viber but it won't open and won't function properly.

5. No. None. I wouldn't know since I have a dedicated DAP for me to listen my music to

6. Install the app - BBVE. It's BB's awesome app to check on the phone's condition.
    04-24-16 07:58 PM
    Has it been confirmed that WhatsApp support will end in 2016 or will they pull the app completely?

I am not a user but many friends with Blackberry are. For most if they can get a few years out of the app then fine but if WhatsApp drops the app from working then it's going to be a disaster for users on Blackberry.

I emailed them twice to see what's going on but just general response.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-16 08:21 PM
    Has it been confirmed that WhatsApp support will end in 2016 or will they pull the app completely?

I am not a user but many friends with Blackberry are. For most if they can get a few years out of the app then fine but if WhatsApp drops the app from working then it's going to be a disaster for users on Blackberry.

I emailed them twice to see what's going on but just general response.

Posted via CB10
    A simple search offers the answer - http://m.crackberry.com/whatsapp-end...sions-end-2016
    04-24-16 08:30 PM
    Whatsapp still works perfectly at this time, up to the end of 2016. At which point I think it will still work, only sans any support whatsoever.

Telegram works. I know, I've tried it myself. Instagram, the android version works perfectly sometimes. There's a client in BlackBerry World but I've never tried it. Viber, I think it works, yeah.

BBVE is a good start in terms of checking and testing the device's health.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 04-26-16 at 12:47 PM.
    04-24-16 08:57 PM
    These threads are soooo dead soooo redundant grown adults asking how they should spend their own $......BlackBerry is doomed.

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    04-24-16 10:00 PM
    Thanks for all the answers. Looking forward to hear more answers.

I'm in love with the look of the classic but still can't decide.
    04-25-16 08:09 PM
    I'm currently using the Classic as a work phone and it's awesome. I have android apps installed and everything works fine. Can't vouch for all the social media apps you mentioned, but it's one sexy looking phone. And I'm happy nobody else carries it!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-16 12:21 AM
    I was like you, two months ago, in love with the classic, I couldn't stop watching unboxing videos of BlackBerry classic, I sold my android phone and bought the classic. First couple of weeks I was enjoying it, but slowly after I couldnt do anything else besides texting, everything I used to do on the android I couldnt anymore, installing apps that I liked or just apps I wanted to try out. With the classic u cant do that, u will install some apps that u need and some android apps that run so bad but u still want co convice yourself that they are runing ok, but they are NOT. Everything is in slow motion and it takes a long time, do perform tasks that u would do in a normal basis.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-16 07:22 AM
    I was like you, two months ago, in love with the classic, I couldn't stop watching unboxing videos of BlackBerry classic, I sold my android phone and bought the classic. First couple of weeks I was enjoying it, but slowly after I couldnt do anything else besides texting, everything I used to do on the android I couldnt anymore, installing apps that I liked or just apps I wanted to try out. With the classic u cant do that, u will install some apps that u need and some android apps that run so bad but u still want co convice yourself that they are runing ok, but they are NOT. Everything is in slow motion and it takes a long time, do perform tasks that u would do in a normal basis.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Maybe PP would've been a better fit as it has higher specs and android apps run smoother on it.

I only have 1 android app installed so far and it's been running flawless. I even get notifications in the hub!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-16 07:42 AM
    Watching unboxing videos to no end of a particularly lamented device. Heheh. I do that too.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    04-26-16 08:03 AM
    Watching unboxing videos to no end of a particularly lamented device. Heheh. I do that too.

Posted via CB10
    I sometimes do it for legacy BlackBerrys or any model I feel like seeing at a certain moment in time... I wanted to like the Silver Edition Passport, but it hasn't grown on me one bit. The Blue Classic though, that's an amazing looking phone

Posted via my Black Passport
    xKingHopy and acovey like this.
    04-26-16 12:39 PM
    Indeed classic

Posted via my @ Classic
    acovey likes this.
    04-26-16 12:51 PM
    I'm currently using the Classic as a work phone and it's awesome. I have android apps installed and everything works fine. Can't vouch for all the social media apps you mentioned, but it's one sexy looking phone. And I'm happy nobody else carries it!

Posted via CB10
    So will whatsapp work fine in the future when they stop service for bbos?
    04-26-16 05:03 PM
    To the OP, earlier this year I got a Cobalt Blue Classic at the end of the Xmas holiday sale. I love it, though I don't really use the trackpad as much as I should, probably because I still use my Z30 and iPhone 6 Plus just as much. As for the latter I needed a battery replacement because I went through 1500 charging cycles in only a year and a half. Normally I would be endorsing the Classic enthusiastically because the toolbelt improves your UI. But with the pending BB10 demise, I suggest you buy a Q10, because in the long run, without an internal battery bringing your wonderful Classic experience to a halt after x amount of charging cycles, you can instead hoard Q10 replacement batteries! Anyone else in this here thread agree?

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    andy957 likes this.
    04-26-16 05:43 PM
    To the OP, earlier this year I got a Cobalt Blue Classic at the end of the Xmas holiday sale. I love it, though I don't really use the trackpad as much as I should, probably because I still use my Z30 and iPhone 6 Plus just as much. As for the latter I needed a battery replacement because I went through 1500 charging cycles in only a year and a half. Normally I would be endorsing the Classic enthusiastically because the toolbelt improves your UI. But with the pending BB10 demise, I suggest you buy a Q10, because in the long run, without an internal battery bringing your wonderful Classic experience to a halt after x amount of charging cycles, you can instead hoard Q10 replacement batteries! Anyone else in this here thread agree?

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    It's definitely more handy to use a Q10 and keep on switching the batteries, plus the Q10 itself is quite cheap nowadays, so I do agree.
    The classic though especially the blue one is a beautiful device and for those who make use of the trackpad, it's a total workhorse.
    I'm owning a blue one myself and the only thing I'm being most afraid of is that the battery is going to die after a certain time. But since you are able to swap it out (even though it's more difficult on the classic than on the Q10) I think I shouldn't worry all too much.

posted via CB10 on my Passport SE
    Avenzuno and bh7171 like this.
    04-26-16 05:55 PM
    So will whatsapp work fine in the future when they stop service for bbos?
    Check the BBOS10 sub-forum. I saw a thread on making Android snapchat app work. You'll may find some luck there.

Edit: found it for you -
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1066864

Posted via CB10
    04-26-16 08:19 PM
    I have a iPhone 6s Plus as my main device but would like a smaller phone for email and text. I was using a iPhone SE before but just bought a Classic off of a member here and can't wait!

I mainly use my phone for text, email, and forum reading. However I absolutely have to have Invoice2go to run my business and Strava for my workouts. There are definitely work arounds (I've had Classics and PP'S before) for these 2 apps, but its just plain easier to use my iPhone.

This will let me use the Classic the way it was intended....as a pure communication device. Imo, the Classic excels at messaging and typing.
    04-28-16 07:43 PM
    I have a iPhone 6s Plus as my main device but would like a smaller phone for email and text. I was using a iPhone SE before but just bought a Classic off of a member here and can't wait!

I mainly use my phone for text, email, and forum reading. However I absolutely have to have Invoice2go to run my business and Strava for my workouts. There are definitely work arounds (I've had Classics and PP'S before) for these 2 apps, but its just plain easier to use my iPhone.

This will let me use the Classic the way it was intended....as a pure communication device. Imo, the Classic excels at messaging and typing.
    Everything is easier on the iPhone (when it comes to quality apps). It's also very easy to use android apps from the play store using Cobalt's method (takes like 5 minutes). Anyways, welcome back. Native BlackBerry email is better than iOS native email or outlook imo.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 06:06 AM
63 123