the passport is too big for me from a phone standpoint, I cant see using that.

I guess I don't see the classics size being big enough with only a .4" increase, Maybe ill like it more when it comes out.
    07-27-14 01:01 PM
    I guess if it's messaging you're really upto, screen size is not a Very big factor the fact that a lot of people were contented with the Q10 which will be smaller than the Classic

PH - BlackBerry 10 - Z10 - deal with it
    07-27-14 05:25 PM
    you are so right guy... a 3.5 inch screen is too small for me...
    I agree that on paper it sounds too small. Looking at the attached picture (if the relative sizes are true), the Classic seems to be a much larger phone than the Q10, with only 0.4" increase in screen size. And, Passport looks huge. It just seems difficult to get a decent phone/screen size in the square format. But I like the form factor of Bold, Q10, and perhaps Classic. I will definitely give Classic a shot. Who knows, in reality it may have the best of both worlds!

Posted via Z10
    07-27-14 07:36 PM
    Sorry, here is the picture:

q20 classic screen size-crackberry-image.jpg

Posted via Z10
    07-27-14 07:37 PM
    really? I thought it would be slightly larger....how do you figure this?...the q10 device is 2.6" wide, according to the specs
    for a proffesional you never heard of theorem of Pythagoras? the screen width of q10 is roughly 2.2 inches

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK and slagman5 like this.
    07-27-14 07:48 PM
    2.192" by MY slide rule.
    07-28-14 01:47 AM
    1:1 ratio isn't going to be ideal for movies. Q20 isn't a movie device. it's a work device. Like the relatively "tiny" Bold, Q20 won't need square yards of screen for its job. Trackpad provides navigation without obscuring screenestate with fingers.

Trackpads, combined with "I" & "O" zoom shortcut keys, are why the tiny Bold screen gets the job done in a comfortably compact package. Even for MY old eyes. I worry that the Q20 will be TOO large. Some of us just don't feel the need to cart around a 300" flat panel on our hip.

I do hope for an hdmi type port that can drive an HD flatscreen. Trackpad will be awesome in that role.
    07-28-14 07:03 AM
    I can't help but wonder how BB10 navigation will be customized and optimized for use on the Classic.... Am I wrong to assume that it will be? Or will the trackpad have functionality solely for editing text and not much else

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-28-14 07:20 AM
    I can't help but wonder how BB10 navigation will be customized and optimized for use on the Classic.... Am I wrong to assume that it will be? Or will the trackpad have functionality solely for editing text and not much else

I'm sure the whole reason that the classic releases later is so that they can get the trackpad optimized for BB10. So I don't think it will be only for editing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    riss89 likes this.
    07-28-14 09:13 AM

Totally depends on what functionality BBRY (and JC) DECIDE to give it. QNX is known for versatility so there's really no practical reason, other than development resource limitation, that the track cant have full functionality. The Bold's track had full functionality so BB knows how, and what, to do with it. Will BBRY choose to deliver the device with full track functionality? If not, how long will it take them to mature the code? IDK. Considering how long it took them to get keyboard shortcuts to 50% functionality on the Q10, i'm holding my breath.
    riss89 likes this.
    07-28-14 11:15 AM
    As a reference point, i trimmed up a 3" x 3" sticky note to measure 2.5" x 2.5" and i placed it on top of my S4 screen......its the same width but the height is horrible. They really should have gone with a larger (taller) screen on this unit. Who cares about the 1:1 ratio. Im just bummed at the small screen....i guess ill have to wait for the next Q30 or something
    07-28-14 11:42 AM
    I on the other hand, want the Classic to be taller than the q10 but shorter than the iPhone 5. If I want screen size, then I use my tablet.
    AnnaKurkowa likes this.
    07-28-14 05:14 PM
    As a reference point, i trimmed up a 3" x 3" sticky note to measure 2.5" x 2.5" and i placed it on top of my S4 screen......its the same width but the height is horrible. They really should have gone with a larger (taller) screen on this unit. Who cares about the 1:1 ratio. Im just bummed at the small screen....i guess ill have to wait for the next Q30 or something
    if they did that the phone would be ridiculously tall um no thanks. maybe the passport will be more to your liking?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    07-28-14 05:25 PM
    Impossible to engineer anything based on generalities. Can the OP provide the name of a specific app that he's trying to fit onto the screen? Or, more precisely, trying to fit the screen to the app? I can see where there might be a market for a pkb-toolbelt device optimized for a specific app. Please provide screenshots, if possible. FB is "verboten" in my company. The concept of mixing personal "social media" and security critical business into the same device is scary to contemplate, IMO. Maybe not insurmountable???
    07-28-14 06:51 PM
    You need to stick to the 1x1 ratio for the q10 apps to scale right. Anything else would have issues. Only other option (one I support) would be a slider like the torch.

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    07-28-14 07:12 PM
    just viewing web pages, scrolling through twitter, viewing pictures...just something with more landscape but I do think the passport is too big.....for a phone....

maybe if the screen size was 3.8" to 4.0" with a 1:1 ratio it would be ok......a 2.5" screen just isn't going to cut it in my opinion. I really think the classic will not sell well compared to other smartphones.....like I said, maybe when the q30 comes out, BB will offer something between the classic and the passport to satisfy both the social media world and the business world
    07-28-14 07:16 PM
    Well, it might be an interesting exercise to determine just what maximum external dimensions you'd be comfortable with and work from there. ?? All design work starts with a benchmark to work from. Max physical size is always a good one. ??

Like spork said above, a vertically held qwerty device is pretty well stuck with 1:1. Some of us value compactness more than others. I, and everyone in my crew, frequently crawl around machinery where larger devices are a problem, for example. Single handed operation is the norm, for us. Personally, i plan to get a Q20 to carry and a Passport for strictly desk duty. If i'm going to devote both hands to operating the device, i'll need a desk to set my coffee cup on... lol
    07-28-14 07:54 PM
    for comparison, width of:
    4.5" Passport screen = 3.182"
    3.5" Q20 screen = 2.475"
    3.1" Q10 screen = 2.192"
    2.8" 9900 screen = 2.240" (1.68" high)
    5" Z30 screen = 2.45" (4.36" high)
    4.2" Z10 screen = 2.16" (3.60" high)

Note how the Q20 will be the second widest screen, after the Passport.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-28-14 at 09:44 PM. Reason: edited to correct 9900's 4:3 and add Z10 & Z30
    07-28-14 08:20 PM
    for comparison, width of:
    4.5" Passport screen = 3.182"
    3.5" Q20 screen = 2.475"
    3.1" Q10 screen = 2.192"
    2.8" Bold = 1.980"
    The 9900 wasnt a square screen

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 08:46 PM
    Oops, dummy me. Scratch that one. Does 2.24" sound better for the 9900?
    07-28-14 08:52 PM
    As crude as this is, here is a look at the difference between the Q10 and the Q20 screen size....sticky note style
    Attached Thumbnails q20 classic screen size-screen-size.jpg  
    07-29-14 08:09 AM
    As crude as this is, here is a look at the difference between the Q10 and the Q20 screen size....sticky note style
    If this is accurate it will not be a big enough change to go back to the Q. Unless I use it just for emails, work, etc. In which case I'd have to add a line just for that. That is something I've wanted to do though since I feel I cannot correctly type on my z efficiently for a long period of time (effectively.)

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 08:26 AM
    I agree

Maybe when I see it in person it will be better but at this point I may be leaning towards the passport. I just dont like the look of the passport
    07-29-14 01:10 PM
    I agree

Maybe when I see it in person it will be better but at this point I may be leaning towards the passport. I just dont like the look of the passport
    And I agree with u as well. The passbook, although intriguing, looks just a bit too big to be walking around with. But again, I'll make my decision when I see it up front and personal.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 01:14 PM
    I honestly think it comes down to your own preferences. For my use, I just switched back from a Lumia 1020 sporting a 4.5" screen and have no problems with the tiny 3.1" the Q10 offers. Having said that it completely depends on what you need to do. I don't play games. For browsing, mails, chats and picture viewing it is decent enough for me. For document editing it could be larger.

Now BlackBerry offers the Passport which aims for the "phablet" folk out there,, offering a rather big screen. To keep the people happy who still like their rather compact Bolds, they can't just give the Classic a much larger screen. Even with 4" it would quickly get too wide for that target audience. Everybody who likes wider screens can get the Passport.
    Those who primarily enjoy media, games and browsing on their phones still won't really consider the Passport as their ultimate device. These people will still rather reach out to a Z30, Z3 or Z10. So a traditional full-touch device.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    07-30-14 07:28 AM
77 1234