What does a 3.5" diagonal screen translate to in width?

if this is a bold 9900 replacement, it will be a complete failure....I really want this to be a nice phone in person because I hate my Samsung galaxy.....in order for BB to be successful, they need to target the young crowd more. Like any big business, its the youth that ultimately will decide the fate of the company....

come on BB.....win me back
    07-24-14 06:34 PM

if this is a bold 9900 replacement, it will be a complete failure....
    Uhm... that isn't a contingency on the devices success - and if it were, it would reflect a great deal of success in terms of overall device sales, given that the Bold 9900 is (if I'm not mistaken) the best selling BlackBerry device to date. Some more research would better your understanding of BlackBerry, rather than silly, baseless claims like that.

in order for BB to be successful, they need to target the young crowd more. Like any big business, its the youth that ultimately will decide the fate of the company....
    Actually, BlackBerry's focus on the Enterprise users, and emerging markets is exactly where they need to be (arguably) as this is their most profitable market. A BlackBerry isn't a toy, it's what real professionals use to get work done, and fast.

This is BlackBerry's Market As Well: BlackBerry Defines Its "Prosumer" Target Market

BlackBerry is already up 6% today after announcing new Enterprise plans, and associations with IBM, and up 100% since December.

I am uncertain of the intentions from your OP - you asked a question relative to an upcoming device, but then resorted to doubts about the devices success.
    Mr4aces, so crow, Frehley and 2 others like this.
    07-24-14 10:12 PM
    What does a 3.5" diagonal screen translate to in width?

if this is a bold 9900 replacement, it will be a complete failure....I really want this to be a nice phone in person because I hate my Samsung galaxy.....in order for BB to be successful, they need to target the young crowd more. Like any big business, its the youth that ultimately will decide the fate of the company....

come on BB.....win me back
    You hate your Samsung galaxy but a Z30 won't win you back?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Mr4aces, JGoodard and Jake Storm like this.
    07-24-14 10:30 PM
    I had many BB's over the years and I think I am a keyboard guy at heart which is why I purchased a Q10 but went to the galaxy because the q10 screen was just too small. Pictures and the social media apps are just horrible on this device. The keyboard is amazing and compared to the galaxy, its no contest. The BB keyboard on this is the best. The OS is amazing as well, but to me, the social aspect lacks big time with the tiny screen.

My intentions are pure as I have been monitoring the recent success of the stock and really want BB to make a comeback with professionals and the youth as well. My point is "targeting professionals" only to me will result in failure for the long term.

The Bold 9900 (I owned one) while great a few years ago cannot survive in todays market. Its just too small and outdated.

I am hoping the q20 has a large enough screen to satisfy todays social media demands as well as being a great business tool. The passport is nice looking but just too wide....im hoping the Q20 has a large enough screen to bring me back to BB full time
    Bonnie Bonzai and barbas79 like this.
    07-25-14 07:13 AM
    I do agree to a certain extent with the OP. In a world that is moving more heavily towards BYOD, there has to be an appeal to a youthful workforce compelling them to buy a Berry and bring that as their handset of choice. A do it all sort of handset that balances tool and toy may be the way to make inroads with young professionals because as much as we do need function, it never hurts to have a cool or wow factor as well. I dont think fun and functional have to be mutually exclusive and have seen a number of renders in the concept forums blending a PKB with a 4:3-ish screen that may be a better fit for this direction. Something with a Z30 like size, containing a bold/Q10 type keyboard, large 4:3 screen and belt on it would suit me quite well. The Social Media fans get their larger screen with better app compatiblity and the workers get the belt/keyboard to smash out e-mail, bbm, and text. Toss in a decent camera and Id buy. Is it perfect, likely not or someone else would be making it, and selling it, but Ive seen Dylan and Ziro come up with some pretty impressive renders so Im sure its very possible. I think a balanced device can be struck that doesnt require a 1:1 screen and potentially could appeal to a broad base.
    07-25-14 09:12 AM
    I had many BB's over the years and I think I am a keyboard guy at heart which is why I purchased a Q10 but went to the galaxy because the q10 screen was just too small. Pictures and the social media apps are just horrible on this device. The keyboard is amazing and compared to the galaxy, its no contest. The BB keyboard on this is the best. The OS is amazing as well, but to me, the social aspect lacks big time with the tiny screen.

My intentions are pure as I have been monitoring the recent success of the stock and really want BB to make a comeback with professionals and the youth as well. My point is "targeting professionals" only to me will result in failure for the long term.

The Bold 9900 (I owned one) while great a few years ago cannot survive in todays market. Its just too small and outdated.

I am hoping the q20 has a large enough screen to satisfy todays social media demands as well as being a great business tool. The passport is nice looking but just too wide....im hoping the Q20 has a large enough screen to bring me back to BB full time
    I think your priorities for screen size are completely off from what the professionals who actually need this device to pound out work emails are. And with that being said you're not gonna be happy with the Q20 if you thought the Q10's screen size was still too small too because it's only .4 larger than the Q10. I have no use for a massive 5.5 in screen display to touch type and am way beyond happy to have my keyboard phones.
    07-25-14 09:41 AM
    I do agree to a certain extent with the OP. In a world that is moving more heavily towards BYOD, there has to be an appeal to a youthful workforce compelling them to buy a Berry and bring that as their handset of choice. A do it all sort of handset that balances tool and toy may be the way to make inroads with young professionals because as much as we do need function, it never hurts to have a cool or wow factor as well. I dont think fun and functional have to be mutually exclusive and have seen a number of renders in the concept forums blending a PKB with a 4:3-ish screen that may be a better fit for this direction. Something with a Z30 like size, containing a bold/Q10 type keyboard, large 4:3 screen and belt on it would suit me quite well. The Social Media fans get their larger screen with better app compatiblity and the workers get the belt/keyboard to smash out e-mail, bbm, and text. Toss in a decent camera and Id buy. Is it perfect, likely not or someone else would be making it, and selling it, but Ive seen Dylan and Ziro come up with some pretty impressive renders so Im sure its very possible. I think a balanced device can be struck that doesnt require a 1:1 screen and potentially could appeal to a broad base.
    Exactly!....
    07-25-14 11:20 AM
    I think your priorities for screen size are completely off from what the professionals who actually need this device to pound out work emails are. And with that being said you're not gonna be happy with the Q20 if you thought the Q10's screen size was still too small too because it's only .4 larger than the Q10. I have no use for a massive 5.5 in screen display to touch type and am way beyond happy to have my keyboard phones.
    So, you think the passport is too big? are you a Q10 guy?
    everthing about the q10 is great....minus the small squat screen. It just doesnt work in todays world...business or otherwise
    07-25-14 11:22 AM
    Yes, I have a Q10, I also had a 9900 and 8900 and 8310. I do not like the size of the Passport and will not be buying one. The screen size of the Q10 does work, it just doesn't work for your purposes.
    07-25-14 11:57 AM
    No single device can fit all personal requirements. I, for one, LOVE the compactness of the 9900 and, since the trackpad permits me to NEVER obscure screenestate with fingers, i feel NO need of larger screen size. Your needs probably differ. The Q10 was uncomfortably large for my tastes. I worry that the Q20 will be uncomfortably large. Sticking a q30 screen on top of the q10's keyboard might be what you're after but i, personally, would expect to find that configuration too tall and unmanageably top heavy for single handed operation. Your mileage may vary.

BB had their "young crowd" chance with the Storm. They, arguably, blew it. Now, all the King's horses & men can't put Humpty back in front of Appledroid anytime soon. BUT they can pick up the pieces and attempt to re-build what market strengths they still command. AKA Business. Hopefully the business market can float them until they can intro a model that Appledroid kids will buy. Till then... ??
    07-25-14 01:14 PM
    it would been nice if they were able to put in a 3.8 inch screen. Or even a 4 inch screen if possible.

I dont think the phone would've been too big with this screen size
    07-25-14 01:21 PM

Ok but... my point is that you can have a BlackBerry and a big screen with the Z30. the BB10 touch keyboard is the best by far. Some people won't go back to physical because of it. With possibly the exception of the Passport

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 02:01 PM
    so back to the original question....what does a 3.5" diagonal translate to in width and height?
    07-25-14 08:15 PM
    so back to the original question....what does a 3.5" diagonal translate to in width and height?
    2.5" x 2.5"

Posted via CB10
    JGoodard and idssteve like this.
    07-25-14 08:40 PM
    really? I thought it would be slightly larger....how do you figure this?...the q10 device is 2.6" wide, according to the specs
    07-26-14 11:32 AM
    really? I thought it would be slightly larger....how do you figure this?...the q10 device is 2.6" wide, according to the specs
    Create a 1:1 square with a 3.5" diagonal reach. Then measure the width. Presto.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:38 AM
    Actually, square 3.5, divide by 2, then squareroot that. Comes out 2.475". Roughly.
    saintforlife likes this.
    07-26-14 03:01 PM
    Actually, square 3.5, divide by 2, then squareroot that. Comes out 2.475". Roughly.
    Lol close enough.

Thanks for the absolute measure

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 03:02 PM
    Lol close enough.

Thanks for the absolute measure

Posted via CB10
    Just slide rule precision. See my avatar.
    07-26-14 03:07 PM
    Tell you the truth, I was holding out for a q20, but by the sounds of it, its completely the opposite to what I was hoping it would be.

I want a BB10 Bold, looks like I'm just gona have to bite the bullet and get a Q10...thanx guys, the 'Classic', ain't quite classic enough. But at least after 2years of running I know all the glitches have been ironed out.
    07-26-14 03:34 PM
    Tell you the truth, I was holding out for a q20, but by the sounds of it, its completely the opposite to what I was hoping it would be.

I want a BB10 Bold, looks like I'm just gona have to bite the bullet and get a Q10...thanx guys, the 'Classic', ain't quite classic enough. But at least after 2years of running I know all the glitches have been ironed out.
    My personal suggestion would be to wait - you may be surprised when you get your hands on it finally..

Posted via CB10
    Jake Storm and Fuzz360 like this.
    07-26-14 03:38 PM
    that's depressing....I cant see how another tiny screen blackberry will be successful.....I might have to try the passport but I really wanted the q20 to be slightly bigger to accommodate all my wants....maybe the q30 will be what I need
    07-26-14 10:12 PM
    Anyone who liked the 9930 will love the Classic. The 9930 physical package was excellent. The software/OS/reboots were horrible. The Classic will blow the Bold away.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 10:56 PM
    that's depressing....I cant see how another tiny screen blackberry will be successful.....I might have to try the passport but I really wanted the q20 to be slightly bigger to accommodate all my wants....maybe the q30 will be what I need
    What?? Its 0.4 bigger than the Q10 and it's much bigger than the 9900.... if you want bigger you go for passport ? how is that depressing ???

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Fuzz360 likes this.
    07-27-14 12:24 AM
    it would been nice if they were able to put in a 3.8 inch screen. Or even a 4 inch screen if possible.

I dont think the phone would've been too big with this screen size
    you are so right guy... a 3.5 inch screen is too small for me...
    07-27-14 07:55 AM
77 123 ...