Yeah, people said the same thing before te 9720 came out.

They said the same about the trackpad too didn't they? My guess is Chen is getting a lot of key people back.

Nothing is off the table now, anything can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    I haven't heard. How is the 9720 selling?
    02-25-14 05:01 PM
    Just a belt. Ain't legacy enough. Poser. In before incoming more "but this isn't the BlackBerry we loved! BlackBerry abandoned us!" rage comments.

Wait for it!
    Actually, you got it backward. It is the people who are against this coming into the forum for the Q20 to make fun of anyone who wants these features. Aka trolls. Know of any one like that?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-25-14 05:03 PM
    Fixed that for you.

The link I posted makes it quite clear that wireless carriers worldwide are NOT interested in "unlimited" plans any more, in part because the explosion in demand for data along with limited and costly network capacity makes that uneconomic.

Precisely one of the points I make in my BIS FAQ.

Another major factor is that Blackberry is in no position to push proprietary networking accomodations on carriers when Blackberry's global share of the market is under 3%. Times have changed, this is not your grandpappy's BlackBerry.
    Are you somehow suggesting BIS was unlimited?

02-25-14 05:09 PM
    I haven't heard. How is the 9720 selling?
    How should I know?

02-25-14 05:10 PM
    I been pretty happy with q10 and accepted the fact scroll was gone but now I got my antennas up again. This could be really good for some of us older guys.

Reg leaked 10.2.1.1925. Q10
    02-25-14 05:11 PM
    Finally... totally worthy upgrade to my bs q10 device that I can not consider as a phone without the belt. For me, the q10 is a worthy Internet handheld device.. and that's all. The belt makes it a real blackberry power user device.
    Oddsocket likes this.
    02-25-14 05:23 PM
    How should I know?

You seem to keep on top of that stuff. I am however glad everyone that wanted it back will be getting one. I'm just not sure that everyone is holding onto their legacy because of this but maybe a good percentage.
    02-25-14 07:00 PM
    Yeah, people said the same thing before te 9720 came out.

You liked that 9720 real good too, I hear. Broke it in the first week, right?

That is a 6 month old device, and it doesn't take much in development resources to bring out a rehash of an old product.

You're not going to be seeing significant BBOS development going forward other than perhaps a very occasional security patch if a security vulnerability gets discovered.

They said the same about the trackpad too didn't they?

I never saw that. If people did, they're dumb. Trackpads are not OS-specific. If they were, they wouldn't be adding one to BB10. Keyboards are not OS-specific either.
    02-25-14 07:22 PM
    Are you somehow suggesting BIS was unlimited?

Reason #1 or #2 that people give for why they want it are the unlimited or low-cost plans that it used to be associated with.

Of course you know this, I guess you've got spontaneous amnesia or something.
    02-25-14 07:25 PM
    Fair enough, I was wrong about it being a one time device, but i think we can all be satisfied that it's in its own category, so their not moving backwards, just accommodating everyone, so they will still gave a Q like device without the belt

But i think we can all agree that the legacy OS/BIS isn't coming back anytime soon..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-25-14 11:50 PM
    ^ this.

This phone is going to be a massive flop. Just goes to show that BlackBerry still haven't got a clue what it takes to compete in today's marketplace.

Posted via CB10
    Right.. if we were taking OS I would agree with you, but some people liked the familiarity of the physical keys and couldn't/wouldnt work out how BB10 worked without them, so this offers an option, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the device (along with Z3 in emerging markets) that brings BB7 sales down much lower than they already are..

BB10 w/o the belt is a more attractive for new BlackBerry users, or those that hadn't used BB7 much (e.g. as a second phone)

Time will tell

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-25-14 11:54 PM
    I assumed the q20 would be a taller version of the q10, so I could run apps that require a non square screen.

Trackpad......... wow. This company is so embarrassing sometimes.
    Chen clearly doesn't give a **** about making an unreal better than the competition. He's a businessman. He wants to make money. He is bringing back the belt for all the people who complained and missed it on their Q10's. He's trying to please as many people as he can so he can make some cash. That's all he's here for

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    02-26-14 12:28 AM
    Reason #1 or #2 that people give for why they want it are the unlimited or low-cost plans that it used to be associated with.

Of course you know this, I guess you've got spontaneous amnesia or something.
    My BIS wasn't unlimited and even for people that had unlimited BIS it didn't include streaming so it's in no way like other unlimited data plans. They were advertised as "unlimited email"

But of course you know this.

02-26-14 01:07 AM
    My BIS wasn't unlimited and even for people that had unlimited BIS it didn't include streaming so it's in no way like other unlimited data plans. They were advertised as "unlimited email"

But of course you know this.

Unlimited anything is unlimited.

Actually the most popular BIS plans, the ones that kept the companies user base in the developing world so large for the last few years, were what is called "social plans", which included unlimited BBM (almost always), and sometimes unlimited usage of certain social media like Twitter.

Those things were instrumental in entrenching the product line in places like Indonesia, certain African countries and Latin America.

I could probably dig up 150 threads in the span of 5 minutes of searching here where people either praise BIS for "unlimited global roaming" or griped about the later unavailability of that service to them.

And those things were instrumental in getting SMB businesspeople enamored of the product, as it saved them money.

As you well know.

But as the article points-out, carriers are uninterested in any sort of "unlimited" plans any more. It's uneconomic and data demands are vastly higher than they were 5 yrs ago.

And they are uninterested in BIS, since many customers expect some sort of "unlimited" service from it, and it is a special accomodation to a company that has a microscopic market share now.

Not to mention, I'm told that many of the carriers that used to offer aggressively priced BIS plans, now offer something comparably priced to Android users anyway.
    02-26-14 01:18 AM
    Unlimited anything is unlimited.

Actually the most popular BIS plans, the ones that kept the companies user base in the developing world so large for the last few years, were what is called "social plans", which included unlimited BBM (almost always), and sometimes unlimited usage of certain social media like Twitter.

Those things were instrumental in entrenching the product line in places like Indonesia, certain African countries and Latin America.

I could probably dig up 150 threads in the span of 5 minutes of searching here where people either praise BIS for "unlimited global roaming" or griped about the later unavailability of that service to them.

And those things were instrumental in getting SMB businesspeople enamored of the product, as it saved them money.

As you well know.

But as the article points-out, carriers are uninterested in any sort of "unlimited" plans any more. It's uneconomic and data demands are vastly higher than they were 5 yrs ago.

And they are uninterested in BIS, since many customers expect some sort of "unlimited" service from it, and it is a special accomodation to a company that has a microscopic market share now.

Not to mention, I'm told that many of the carriers that used to offer aggressively priced BIS plans, now offer something comparably priced to Android users anyway.
    You'd be hard pushed up use 1gb of data a month on BIS using email and social networks alone, the networks know that don't kid yourself.

And people wanted the option for unlimited roaming for which they paid, but that again didn't include streaming media.

Unlimited BIS is in no way like unlimited data plans, stop the misinformation.

For the record my BIS has never been unlimited and I've been using it since 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forum
    02-26-14 01:25 AM
    You'd be hard pushed up use 1gb of data a month on BIS using email and social networks alone, the networks know that don't kid yourself.

Whatever you say.

Guess what one of the things is that people keep pressing BlackBerry to un-limit on BBM? Image file upload size limits.

Guess what happens if they do that? I'll give you one guess.

A 16MB video or image file is probably equivalent of many hundreds of hours of user chat traffic. Do the math.

That's why RIM always had annoying restrictions on email attachment size.

No free lunch.

How about you stop the inflammatory hyperbole?

Any time ANY service provider claims to offer ANYTHING "unlimited", it leads to unpredictable service/bandwidth utilization and service quality issues because the operator cannot effectively model and project capacity requirements.

"Unlimited" service in the context of internet service has ALWAYS been a marketing fiction, pushed-for by sales and marketing people despite the fact that if it were TRULY unlimited, and customers actually tried to take advantage of that, the whole system would fall apart.

See what happens if everyone in your town all pick up the telephone at the same time and try to make a telephone call. Guess what? The whole system fails. That's because like any other electronic system, there is no such thing as "unlimited" capacity, anywhere.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    02-26-14 02:35 AM
    Whatever you say.

Guess what one of the things is that people keep pressing BlackBerry to un-limit on BBM? Image file upload size limits.

Guess what happens if they do that? I'll give you one guess.

A 16MB video or image file is probably equivalent of many hundreds of hours of user chat traffic. Do the math.

That's why RIM always had annoying restrictions on email attachment size.

No free lunch.

How about you stop the inflammatory hyperbole?

Any time ANY service provider claims to offer ANYTHING "unlimited", it leads to unpredictable service/bandwidth utilization and service quality issues because the operator cannot effectively model and project capacity requirements.

"Unlimited" service in the context of internet service has ALWAYS been a marketing fiction, pushed-for by sales and marketing people despite the fact that if it were TRULY unlimited, and customers actually tried to take advantage of that, the whole system would fall apart.

See what happens if everyone in your town all pick up the telephone at the same time and try to make a telephone call. Guess what? The whole system fails. That's because like any other electronic system, there is no such thing as "unlimited" capacity, anywhere.
    And that's exactly why carriers still support BIS, they know that their networks could easily clog up, there's only so many user they can support per cell tower. They know BIS is very efficient on their networks.

02-26-14 02:53 AM

And people wanted the option for unlimited roaming for which they paid, but that again didn't include streaming media.

For the record my BIS has never been unlimited and I've been using it since 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forum
    Funny. My BIS was unlimited.
    02-26-14 05:35 AM
    And that's exactly why carriers still support BIS, they know that their networks could easily clog up, there's only so many user they can support per cell tower. They know BIS is very efficient on their networks.

That must be everywhere besides the USA? Cause the carriers here hate BIS.
    02-26-14 05:36 AM
    [QUOTE=kbz1960;10055180]

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums[/QUOTE

That must be everywhere besides the USA? Cause the carriers here hate BIS. ]
    Proof?

02-26-14 05:37 AM
    Funny. My BIS was unlimited.
    Mine never was since 2008.

02-26-14 05:38 AM

Proof?

Another goofed quote but I think proof is if they loved BIS so much and it is such a great deal for them they would be pushing bb and not data hog phones.
    02-26-14 06:19 AM
    Another goofed quote but I think proof is if they loved BIS so much and it is such a great deal for them they would be pushing bb and not data hog phones.
    Push what exactly? What new BBOS devices have they available to them to "push"?

02-26-14 06:25 AM
    Push what exactly? What new BBOS devices have they available to them to "push"?

Geez bfd you know full well BBRY has been in decline in the USA for years now. People weren't buying BIS, carriers or least the people working there almost ridicule someone who asks about a BBRY for years and try to steer them to an iPhone or android. Why would all of the carriers allow this if BIS is such a great deal and money saver for them?

If it were they would just say, let me go get that sweet BBRY for you.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-26-14 06:44 AM
    Geez bfd you know full well BBRY has been in decline in the USA for years now. People weren't buying BIS, carriers or least the people working there almost ridicule someone who asks about a BBRY for years and try to steer them to an iPhone or android. Why would all of the carriers allow this if BIS is such a great deal and money saver for them?

If it were they would just say, let me go get that sweet BBRY for you.
    Sorry but you claimed carriers hate BIS. Where's your proof?

02-26-14 06:45 AM
74 123