View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About the Return of the Trackpad/Button Bar?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love That Bar!

20 58.82%
  • I prefer my Q10!

10 29.41%
  • I don't care!

4 11.76%
    Folks,

Now that we know a Q20 device is coming with the return of the trackpad/button bar, how do we feel about that? Are we excitedly waiting for it, or have we adjusted and adapted to the Q10's swipes and flow gestures? Please vote!
    02-25-14 08:05 AM
    I'm not excited at all, I think the traditional BlackBerry navigation keys break the BlackBerry 10 user paradigm.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 08:09 AM
    Keep them votes coming folks!
    02-25-14 12:28 PM
    I've got pretty used to living without a trackpad editing and inserting text. The android apps that emulate the android system show it for inferior to BlackBerry method but ...
    For a real good web browser you need a trackpad or mouse. Other than that your limiting yourself to web pages designed for mobile devices.
    Anyone saying use your fingers to zoom in and zoom out, ok that possible but its just not the same.

And what about those people who stuck with a BlackBerry os7 phone, don't you think when they eventually need to choose a new phone?
    BlackBerry no track pad? Android no trackpad, ohh cheaper i'll have the android....

Loosing the trackpad lost customers.
    jarrodmeyer likes this.
    02-25-14 12:37 PM
    I believe this is a good step forward bringing the traditional belt to the new generation of BlackBerry phones. This may accelerate sales with the people who are passionate about the older style Blackberries while getting the new experience. It all depends on how the belt is designed and if the functionality of it allows faster access to the hub, active frames, and so on. Going to be interesting to see.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 12:38 PM
    Q10 works fine the way it is for me

Posted via my beautiful Z10
    02-25-14 12:38 PM
    I've adjusted fine from my 9900, but others have not. Choice is always good. I won't be excited if all their Q devices include the trackpad and buttons though. I love these gestures too much and it seems like either screen real estate would be taken or the phone would be made a lot taller.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    02-25-14 04:15 PM
    For the BB10 user the Q20 represents a major step backwards and I wouldn't hold my breath that it will get a release in Europe / North America (though maybe direct from BlackBerry which would be nice.)

The Q20 is not a premium device, the premium Qwerty has yet to be announced so current BB10 users should probably wait for that device. The Q20 is the second attempt to onboard current BB7 users onto BB10 (particularly in India where opening up bbm4all has seen BlackBerry's market share significantly.) The preferred name of BlackBerry Classic even hints at the fact that this isn't your typical BB10 phone its designed to be the bridge between BB7 and BB10.

Let's take a minute to look at what adding back the Trackpad and Belt even means with BB10.

Trackpad: Text selection on the Q10 has vastly improved since they have added the "shift + swipe" to select text to the point where I don't miss my trackpad in that regards. I will admit the trackpad controlled mouse on websites would be handy to have but my fat fingers have gotten used to hitting small links, so even that's not a big deal anymore

Call Button: useless, on screen call button is always one gesture away (swipe up from any app.) and now that dialing keyboard shortcuts have returned I never initiate a call that way anyways.

BlackBerry / Menu Button: useless, Switching apps is also handled by swiping up from anywhere and menus are easily accessible in BB10

Back Button: useless, most native apps allow for a swipe to take you back other (including android apks) have a software back button on screen

End Call Button: I will admit I miss this button if I'm not using bluetooth... I often find myself multi tasking on speaker phone during calls and when it comes time to hang up I find it annoying. To have to swipe back into the phone app then hit the hang up button, so I wouldn't mind seeing an end call button

I believe that the gesture sensitive keys will replace the need for a trackpad (maybe even it will just be the space bar doubles as a track pad?) and I think they will drop the "Belt" in all future qwerty devices, because it's not like they are going to disable the current BB10 shortcuts so anyone using the Q20 is going to realize how little they actually need the "belt" but seeing is believing so I think it's smart they are giving the hold outs what they want to try and force the switch.

TL;DR - I think the trackpad and "Belt" on the Q20 will be a one-hit wonder and that no future devices will have these features as the Q20 will be primarily for Onboarding BB7. So current BB10 users will want to wait for the next premium qwerty

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 04:56 PM
    The back button will kill the swipe up to leave the app and the answer button will kill the swipe to answer

Its just wont be as good as the Q10

The Q20 should not be in the BB10 catogory cuz they returned an old stuff from the old devices so it should called Q2 or any other name cuz its just a 9900 with bigger screen

I hope the Q30 have a bigger screen without the trackpad or any other stuff from the legacy devices

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 05:10 PM
    As much as I love the Q10, one of the biggest hassles besides the obvious text selection is touching specific links on websites without having to zoom in first. Just a little while ago I was on a website and I had to touch 5 times to get the link I wanted because the site was meant for a desktop with a mouse.

Another is getting to your phone call history, answering a call, and hanging up the phone, all takes longer and more concentration to do. I used to be able to do all of these things without having to look at the phone. And to add to that, one of the biggest annoyances is after I'm done with a call, I take the phone away from my face and now I have to wait until the proximity sensor tells the phone to turn the screen back on before I can hang up the call. Worse if I navigated away from the phone call screen to look something up. With a hardware button I just press the button and it's done.

Sorry, I care more about productivity and speed than "oh, I don't have a widescreen to watch netflix on my phone" which I don't like doing on ANY size mobile screen. I'm spoiled on the bigscreen I have at home...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-25-14 05:16 PM
    The back button will kill the swipe up to leave the app and the answer button will kill the swipe to answer

Its just wont be as good as the Q10

The Q20 should not be in the BB10 catogory cuz they returned an old stuff from the old devices so it should called Q2 or any other name cuz its just a 9900 with bigger screen

I hope the Q30 have a bigger screen without the trackpad or any other stuff from the legacy devices

Posted via CB10
    Yes, let's forget that BB10 is still loaded, the hardware is still faster, and all of the gestures will still be there. I don't see where you guys get this stupid notion that the BB10 gestures will not exist. This is a feature IN ADDITION to not in place of...

02-25-14 05:18 PM
    Please stop whining about the comeback of the trackpad!

Neither we have seen a real concept nor details on that.

Just sit back and relax - I mean, the new keyboard shall be revolutionary with touch sensors which will support gestures.

So why shouldn't have the belt any surprises?

First: Everyone was shocked about OS10 not having a trackpad.
    Now: Everyone is shocked about the comeback of a trackpad.

Maybe now the best of 2 worlds will come together on the Q20?
    -Touchscreen (keyboard) & physical keyboard
    -OS10 navigation features & classical beloved Blackberry navigation

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 05:29 PM
    Yes, let's forget that BB10 is still loaded, the hardware is still faster, and all of the gestures will still be there. I don't see where you guys get this stupid notion that the BB10 gestures will not exist. This is a feature IN ADDITION to not in place of...

I didnt say that they will remove it

It just will be easier to use the buttons so people will use them and will act like the gestures do not exist

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 05:33 PM
    I didnt say that they will remove it

It just will be easier to use the buttons so people will use them and will act like the gestures do not exist

Posted via CB10
    Ok, and if that's what the user prefers, what's the problem? How does that somehow negatively affect you or any one else?

RJB55 likes this.
    02-25-14 05:52 PM
    If we had the thousands of votes from the blog post on this thread we could have a more definitive answer to the question. I, personally, am happy for the return of the buttons. I have adapted to the Q10 but I am partial to the hardware buttons.
    02-25-14 10:29 PM
    I would want it back only because of copy and paste

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    02-25-14 10:34 PM
    It's cool to have the option, but I'm a little upset that they haven't announced a real flagship for this year at all. I vote no belt

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    02-26-14 12:33 AM
    It's cool to have the option, but I'm a little upset that they haven't announced a real flagship for this year at all. I vote no belt

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    I hope they make more announcements as well. The more options for everyone the better.
    02-26-14 02:19 AM
    "Another is getting to your phone call history, answering a call, and hanging up the phone, all takes longer and more concentration to do. I used to be able to do all of these things without having to look at the phone. And to add to that, one of the biggest annoyances is after I'm done with a call, I take the phone away from my face and now I have to wait until the proximity sensor tells the phone to turn the screen back on before I can hang up the call. Worse if I navigated away from the phone call screen to look something up. With a hardware button I just press the button and it's done.

Sorry, I care more about productivity and speed than "oh, I don't have a widescreen to watch netflix on my phone" which I don't like doing on ANY size mobile screen. I'm spoiled on the bigscreen I have at home..."

I didn't realize that pushing the phone call button in the bottom left corner took so long. Or swiping to the left when someone calls you. That one definitely takes me forever. And if your proxinity sensor takes that long you should get a replacement phone. Mine is instantaneous.

I care about productivity and speed. I use my phone for both school and work and it allows me to flow faster than my android did.

Not trying to come across as rude. I'm happy for all you belt users. I'm just saying that if it takes that long for you, there might be an issue with your phone.

02-26-14 11:51 AM
    "Another is getting to your phone call history, answering a call, and hanging up the phone, all takes longer and more concentration to do. I used to be able to do all of these things without having to look at the phone. And to add to that, one of the biggest annoyances is after I'm done with a call, I take the phone away from my face and now I have to wait until the proximity sensor tells the phone to turn the screen back on before I can hang up the call. Worse if I navigated away from the phone call screen to look something up. With a hardware button I just press the button and it's done.

Sorry, I care more about productivity and speed than "oh, I don't have a widescreen to watch netflix on my phone" which I don't like doing on ANY size mobile screen. I'm spoiled on the bigscreen I have at home..."

I didn't realize that pushing the phone call button in the bottom left corner took so long. Or swiping to the left when someone calls you. That one definitely takes me forever. And if your proxinity sensor takes that long you should get a replacement phone. Mine is instantaneous.

I care about productivity and speed. I use my phone for both school and work and it allows me to flow faster than my android did.

Not trying to come across as rude. I'm happy for all you belt users. I'm just saying that if it takes that long for you, there might be an issue with your phone.

LOL. It's not a comparison of two people already staring at the phone measuring how long it takes to do each. With the physical button if I know my purpose is to call back the last person I spoke with, while I'm taking my phone out of my holster I'm already pressing the call button (press it twice in legacy devices automatically called back the last person you spoke with). By the time you touch the touchscreen button my phone is already ringing. Sorry if a few seconds doesn't matter to you, it does to me. And same with hanging up on a call. Before I was already pressing the hang up button while taking the phone off my face. Mind you in both cases I never had to look at the phone. Now I have to take the phone off my face, look at the phone, when the screen comes back on, touch the hang up icon. I do a lot of phone calls while driving because I don't have a lot of time I can talk on the phone while I'm not, that just doesn't work for that. I don't know about you but I prefer to keep my eyes on the road...

02-26-14 12:00 PM
    LOL. It's not a comparison of two people already staring at the phone measuring how long it takes to do each. With the physical button if I know my purpose is to call back the last person I spoke with, while I'm taking my phone out of my holster I'm already pressing the call button (press it twice in legacy devices automatically called back the last person you spoke with). By the time you touch the touchscreen button my phone is already ringing. Sorry if a few seconds doesn't matter to you, it does to me. And same with hanging up on a call. Before I was already pressing the hang up button while taking the phone off my face. Mind you in both cases I never had to look at the phone. Now I have to take the phone off my face, look at the phone, when the screen comes back on, touch the hang up icon. I do a lot of phone calls while driving because I don't have a lot of time I can talk on the phone while I'm not, that just doesn't work for that. I don't know about you but I prefer to keep my eyes on the road...

Ahhhh okay. That's understandable.

02-26-14 12:42 PM
    There many even be room for both types of devices. Perhaps a Q10 for those who don't want the bar, and the Q20 for those who do! And if the Q20 has improved specs prehaps a Q15 version could be the Q10's replacement with the upgraded specs and without the button bar.
    Oddsocket likes this.
    02-27-14 08:18 AM
    There many even be room for both types of devices. Perhaps a Q10 for those who don't want the bar, and the Q20 for those who do! And if the Q20 has improved specs prehaps a Q15 version could be the Q10's replacement with the upgraded specs and without the button bar.
    The question is if both types will sell. I like the idea of the Q15 though. I loved my Q10, I just need a bigger screen.

02-27-14 08:50 AM
    BlackBerry qwerty/belt keys will be a much desired phone for me.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    02-27-14 07:09 PM
    I found it difficult at the start without the buttons of my 8910. However, can BlackBerry produce a software belt, a trackpad on the screen that can be hidden or disabled of those who don't need hardware buttons but like the Q10 style.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 08:04 AM
28 12