Let's continue the automotive analogies. Complaining about the fixed battery in the classic is like complaining about modern car not having a hand crank to supplement the electric starter. You don't need it!
    Not having charging ports on the other hand, is a faux pas for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 09:06 AM
    Let's continue the automotive analogies. Complaining about the fixed battery in the classic is like complaining about modern car not having a hand crank to supplement the electric starter. You don't need it!
    Not having charging ports on the other hand, is a faux pas for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    So many experts on what everyone else needs. lol I can make a very compelling argument as to my company's needs for swappable battery but lets discuss this in a more appropriate thread. It's looking like it might be time for this thread to fade, IMO.
    10-12-14 10:14 AM
    Well, the irritation for me started when several posters flatly, and incorrectly, stated that the Q20 "Classic" provides "any" and "every" thing to replace the Bold. I can produce quotes from the actual posts, if we want to get into that. BUT, those absolute and unqualified claims, used in the same sentence with the unfortunate name, scream "bait and switch" to some of us. Natural reactions ensue. There's a WHOLE lot more to the Bold that JUST a tool belt and metal bezel. Attempting to claim the Q20 "Classic" is a direct replacement for it is simply not accurate. No more than trying to claim a Silverado pickup can ever be a direct replacement for a 67 Camaro. Two different, but very capable, tools with two different missions. Keep the unqualified absolutes out of the claims and I, myself, can find peace with the name "Classic".
    You quoted me in one of the six other silly threads about this argument. I never said anything besides they have added back SOME features like custom profiles and shortcuts, I DID say the 10..3.1 makes my Q10 2 buttons short of perfect (for me), I did not say all the features that we lost in BB10 were back, so don't try to throw me in on your 'quotes'.

I am about over the trackpad, but I may enjoy it's return more than I think. The SEND and END buttons are the most valuable additions to the classic IMHO. Real internet speed, and the added long hold context menus are killer apps in BB10.

I have a moto G for a backup phone around the house, and real work with copy,paste, and email composition is inferior to BB10, and I think BB10 is better than BBOS on these fronts.

I understand all of this circular nonsense is just killing time while we wait impatiently for the next best phone to drop, but it is beginning to get a little tedious.
    10-12-14 11:54 AM
    You quoted me in one of the six other silly threads about this argument. I never said anything besides they have added back SOME features like custom profiles and shortcuts, I DID say the 10..3.1 makes my Q10 2 buttons short of perfect (for me), I did not say all the features that we lost in BB10 were back, so don't try to throw me in on your 'quotes'.

I am about over the trackpad, but I may enjoy it's return more than I think. The SEND and END buttons are the most valuable additions to the classic IMHO. Real internet speed, and the added long hold context menus are killer apps in BB10.

I have a moto G for a backup phone around the house, and real work with copy,paste, and email composition is inferior to BB10, and I think BB10 is better than BBOS on these fronts.

I understand all of this circular nonsense is just killing time while we wait impatiently for the next best phone to drop, but it is beginning to get a little tedious.
    I've not mentioned names and would provide cut and paste quotes if i did. Sure don't see the need to re-explode the issue at this point. My point is that "some", "many", "most", etc are perfectly appropriate. "All", "any", "every" are simply inaccurate, IMO.

Since "some" is what you said then i certainly wasn't talking about you. Sorry if it sounded like i was. I'm human and certainly guilty of counterproductive overstatement myself. I think, at this point, the Q20 "Classic" will be what it will be and that all of us need to turn our focus toward optimizing user experiences with what should be a great device.
    10-12-14 02:18 PM
    The concept of protest seems funny to me but i've NEVER been fond of calling anything new "classic". I believe that the term, in this case, helped foster unrealistic expectations of a genuine 9900 replacement. Expectations that were destined to counter-productively disappoint, eventually. It was, however, pointed out a while back that using two different names for the same device can result in counter-productive confusion as well. That's why i've been referring to the device as a Q20 "Classic" so that there's no confusion as to the device i'm talking about but yet i don't have to feel like a "zombie-bot" parroting sloppily derived nomenclature that shamelessly exploits the image of the single most successful BB to date. The quotes are sufficiently innocuous to the uninitiated to avoid turning off potential newbies but those who "get it" understand what i mean. Pretty easily added to Word Sub.

While the Q20 "Classic" is no direct replacement for the 9900, i don't feel it's intended to be. That can be a GOOD thing for it's intended mission. Several here in the breakroom have concluded (breakroom world fixing, again lol) that Chen is aiming at a much broader market. We're convinced there's some slight market potential in a growing dissatisfaction with glass keyboard devices. We're hypothesizing that Chen's strategy might be to let the PassPort make qwerty cool and then, a few months later, let the Q20 "Classic" make qwerty affordable. ???

To that end, Chen's use of "Classic" might have been intended to telegraph to a few unsatisfied iDroid glass users that this is a NEW device that also sports time proven efficiency of qwerty and toolbelt. The other 9900 features left behind might have been considered too overwhelming for pulling in iDroiders.. ??

As far as transitioning existing 99ers, BB has time on their side. Sooner, or later, 99s will simply get too old. Might take a few years but... what's the hurry? BB will pocket BIS revenues until that that day and then sell a Q20 "Classic" (or better?) to them anyway. If Chen were truly aiming the Q20 "Classic" at 99ers, his re-release of 9900s just months before the new device would seem unintuitive, at best.
    It may seem irrelevant, but you have great vocabulary. I'm stunned!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    10-12-14 02:29 PM
55 123