Blackberry didn't take control of the branding with the name "Classic"; Chen used it at Mobile World Congress and then later the phone was renamed, but Blackberry never made a marketing push to differentiate what part of the phone would feel "classic" and which parts would speak to the future of Blackberry.

The full quote is:

Source: BlackBerry CEO says Q20 renamed 'BlackBerry Classic' - CNET

I think Chen's intention was to reference the "feel" and "look" of the hardware being similar to the beloved Bold device w/ toolbet, but I don't think the intention was to make users think it would be some sort of Bold 2.0...no doubt popular opinion has morphed to think that is what the Classic will be. But to your point, the Q20 (using the original naming convention) always was intended to be the next version of the Q10. And in many user's eyes - including my own - it's what the Q10 should have been all along.
    Thank you. Well put together. Unfortunately many in this forum have taken a personal issue with every device BlackBerry releases. Unless it has every little part of the bold they love, they aren't happy.

And for if course nobody ever said the classic was a sequel to the bold in the first place. Like you pointed out. Even further complicating things there are many bold models. And the most recent one is made of all plastic. How's that for premium?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:09 PM
    Due to the old diehard users is what brought the classic about! I would do three families of BlackBerry 's.

Classic series with the classic and iconic 4 buttons
    All touch series
    And keyboarded series

This way it will cover and appease ALL BlackBerry users. I for one is so use to the swipe flick and tap motions for me I can't see why I would bother with the classic.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.738
    10-09-14 03:01 AM
    The Q20 does not have the curved keyboard/ removable battery
    or charging dock contacts so it's an Ersatz Classic.
    10-09-14 07:36 PM
    Thank you. Well put together. Unfortunately many in this forum have taken a personal issue with every device BlackBerry releases. Unless it has every little part of the bold they love, they aren't happy.

And for if course nobody ever said the classic was a sequel to the bold in the first place. Like you pointed out. Even further complicating things there are many bold models. And the most recent one is made of all plastic. How's that for premium?

Posted via CB10
    To be called the Classic, it needs to be an updated 99XX BOLD with the ergonomic keyboard!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-10-14 05:49 PM
    To be called the Classic, it needs to be an updated 99XX BOLD with the ergonomic keyboard!
    Does that require it to be running BBOS as well, instead of BB10?

This is like saying the new Camaro, although beautifully capturing a lot of the roots of its origins, isn't a Camaro because it doesn't have a carburetor.
    evodevo69 and CerveloJohn like this.
    10-10-14 06:01 PM

This is like saying the new Camaro, although beautifully capturing a lot of the roots of its origins, isn't a Camaro because it doesn't have a carburetor.
    Ok lets call a 9900 Bold with updated hardware "Pro Touring". ROFL There are thousands of 67-69 Camaro's with unchanged body lines wtih fuel injected motors, big brakes and custom wheels. The 67-69 Camaro is the "Classic" of Camaro's

Would you all a 2014 Camaro a "Classic"

A better example would be a 55-57 Chevy, would you change the body lines on this car and call it a "Classic"
    Hmmmm I wonder how many 55-57 Chevys have the same motor in them?
    idssteve likes this.
    10-11-14 07:56 AM

Fitting a Camaro steering wheel into a Silverado might be a GREAT idea but it won't make that truck a Camaro. Attempting to improperly, and inaccurately, exploit Camaro's past glory by inferring otherwise would be market suicide for Chevy, IMO.

BB10 finally gets a steering wheel in November! A GREAT leap forward in itself! No need to improperly, and inaccurately, exploit Bold's past glory, IMO.
    10-11-14 08:22 AM
    "They just don't get it". Protest this "Classic" by calling it a "Q20" (Q10 with a track pad).

The "Classic" should be a 9900 updated.

They just launched the PassPort we should get some leaks on the Q20

We know for sure the Q20 is not what we really want, but do we have a choice?

I don't know if I want to give up the fastest typing phone for something else. Do I want to? Do I have to?

Maybe be the next generation Q20 will be a Foxconn version with all the things we love in the 9900.

Till then there is no Classic in my mind.
    Yep - why???

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 03:04 PM
    Wow, you guys are really emotionally involved over a device name.

{*slowly backs out of room...}
    Banco likes this.
    10-11-14 03:23 PM
    Q20 is a stupid name. As is the whole letternumber naming scheme.

Founder and fearless leader of the Peevishlicious Crew
    10-11-14 03:24 PM

NO it does not require it to run BBOS, but the "Classic" should emulate the classic BB's. Don't know how to say it any clearer.

If you wanted a classic '69 Mustang re-released, and the product turned out to be a "Mustang II" would you be satisfied?
    10-11-14 07:39 PM
    Q20 is a stupid name. As is the whole letternumber naming scheme.

Founder and fearless leader of the Peevishlicious Crew
    Insightful post!
    10-11-14 07:41 PM
    An instant classic: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1's style, performance live up to its name

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.1263932
    10-11-14 08:10 PM
    Q20 "Classic" is more like a Silverado pickup. Almost too BIG, powerful, reliable, room for lots of apps. Not quite as nimble as the smaller Bold, but It will sport a "Classic" steering wheel, tho...
    10-11-14 09:54 PM
    NO it does not require it to run BBOS, but the "Classic" should emulate the classic BB's. Don't know how to say it any clearer.

If you wanted a classic '69 Mustang re-released, and the product turned out to be a "Mustang II" would you be satisfied?
    And what part of the stainless steel frame, tool belt, do you not get?

Virtually everyone you ask in the street will be able to tell why the Classic will be named as such.

Don't know about you, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. The q10 was seen as a continuation of the bold series, and the q5 from the curve. A child can see that.

The Classic emulates the Classic BlackBerry's precisely identify of the trackpad, and overall design. Not sure how you can't seem to understand that.

Apple carries an ipod classic but you don't see them using the same format factor, colors, materials, and OS as the original ipods.

It's got updated materials and OS, but it has a track wheel...ipod classic. bam.

Anyway this is a waste of time since it's basically just people's opinions, but I and 99% of everyone else will see and agree with why it's called a Classic.

#CB10 #DirtyThirty #NaturalSound
    10-11-14 11:28 PM

It is irrelevant what they call that car. If I like the looks and the features, I will buy it. They can call it "Dog" for all I care. Getting upset about what a name may or may not represent is last on my list.

In the case of the Q20 (or Classic), the differentiation is too close to call or get upset about. Since it has some features of the BBOS devices (e.g., tool belt, track pad, ...), and at the same time some features of Q10 (straight keyboard, BB10, ...), you can't be wrong either way (calling it Classic or Q20). You (and the OP) need to get over it!

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:38 AM
    Well, the irritation for me started when several posters flatly, and incorrectly, stated that the Q20 "Classic" provides "any" and "every" thing to replace the Bold. I can produce quotes from the actual posts, if we want to get into that. BUT, those absolute and unqualified claims, used in the same sentence with the unfortunate name, scream "bait and switch" to some of us. Natural reactions ensue. There's a WHOLE lot more to the Bold that JUST a tool belt and metal bezel. Attempting to claim the Q20 "Classic" is a direct replacement for it is simply not accurate. No more than trying to claim a Silverado pickup can ever be a direct replacement for a 67 Camaro. Two different, but very capable, tools with two different missions. Keep the unqualified absolutes out of the claims and I, myself, can find peace with the name "Classic".
    10-12-14 04:40 AM
    I'll admit to not reading anything other than the thread title and first post, but OP - isn't protesting your displeasure somewhat silly, seeing as how you would be opposing your own emotions / feelings / position?

smDh. Sometimes I just can't figure some of you people out. Ought to be a test folks have to pass. That, or a kids section.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    10-12-14 05:34 AM
    Well, the irritation for me started when several posters flatly, and incorrectly, stated that the Q20 "Classic" provides "any" and "every" thing to replace the Bold. I can produce quotes from the actual posts, if we want to get into that. BUT, those absolute and unqualified claims, used in the same sentence with the unfortunate name, scream "bait and switch" to some of us. Natural reactions ensue. There's a WHOLE lot more to the Bold that JUST a tool belt and metal bezel. Attempting to claim the Q20 "Classic" is a direct replacement for it is simply not accurate. No more than trying to claim a Silverado pickup can ever be a direct replacement for a 67 Camaro. Two different, but very capable, tools with two different missions. Keep the unqualified absolutes out of the claims and I, myself, can find peace with the name "Classic".
    This is a ridiculous post. The Classic will be an apt replacement for the Bold. The battery will last you two days. Buy an external pack for ten dollars for when you're traveling.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:30 AM
    Well, I've been known to be ridiculous. . The Q20 "Classic" has a fixed battery. That's part of it's configuration and I, for one, accept that. Just like I accept other aspects of its configuration. I'm planning to buy one and have taken steps to commit my company to buying at least 26 of them. The device can sell itself without comparing to the Bold.

Just don't tell me, and other BBOSers, that the name "Classic" means it will provide "any" and "every" thing BBOSers want and that if we don't buy it we're just unreasonable and then claim it will be OUR fault if BBRY fails.

There've been multiple posts and even entire threads saying such. I was ok with the name "Classic" untill we started getting beat over the head with it. Each individual must make their individual choices. Innacurate claims have no place in that.

The Q20 "Classic" brings the tool belt and 10.3.1 bings back other, long lost functionality into a new device! That's an exciting development that will sell itself without inaccurate comparison to older devices.
    10-12-14 08:13 AM
    Well, I've been known to be ridiculous. . The Q20 "Classic" has a fixed battery. That's part of it's configuration and I, for one, accept that. Just like I accept other aspects of its configuration. I'm planning to buy one and have taken steps to commit my company to buying at least 26 of them. The device can sell itself without comparing to the Bold.

Just don't tell me, and other BBOSers, that the name "Classic" means it will provide "any" and "every" thing BBOSers want and that if we don't buy it we're just unreasonable and then claim it will be OUR fault if BBRY fails.

There've been multiple posts and even entire threads saying such. I was ok with the name "Classic" untill we started getting beat over the head with it. Each individual must make their individual choices. Innacurate claims have no place in that.

The Q20 "Classic" brings the tool belt and 10.3.1 bings back other, long lost functionality into a new device! That's an exciting development that will sell itself without inaccurate comparison to older devices.
    I agree with most of this. But I haven't read any inaccurate claims. And if there are any, they're made by anonymous posters, no BlackBerry employees or Chen. The Classic gets almost everything right...

...and maybe improves on it in ways the aren't foreseen by BBOS users. Was the Bold 9900 single-battery life that good? It won't compare to the Classic if it does indeed contain a 3100mha battery. Check out my Q5's battery life (not bad, and reports are that 10.3 leaks will improve battery life further):
    Protest your displeasure by calling it a Q20-img_20141012_083206.png

And we'll see how the size plays. I do prefer the 9900/Q10 size and shape. But the Classic still seems one-hand-able.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:39 AM
    Yes, this device (whether called Classic or Q20) and 10.3.1 seem to bring a few good features and added functionality to an already capable operating system (BB10), which is a good thing. Instead of focusing on and arguing about its name, let's focus more on the features that will improve the performance of the new operating system (BB10) without going fully back to an outdated one (BBOS).

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:48 AM
    I agree with most of this. But I haven't read any inaccurate claims. And if there are any, they're made by anonymous posters, no BlackBerry employees or Chen. The Classic gets almost everything right...

...and maybe improves on it in ways the aren't foreseen by BBOS users. Was the Bold 9900 single-battery life that good? It won't compare to the Classic if it does indeed contain a 3100mha battery. Check out my Q5's battery life (not bad, and reports are that 10.3 leaks will improve battery life further):

And we'll see how the size plays. I do prefer the 9900/Q10 size and shape. But the Classic still seems one-hand-able.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Aftermarket 3600mah batts get 9900's to 3 day endurance but they make the device quite a bit thicker. Something i like for grasping but others may not. In any event, the Q20 "Classic" is what it is and it will likely be the best new tool belt device we get for a while. AND that's pretty darned GOOD!
    10-12-14 08:52 AM
    Yes, this device (whether called Classic or Q20) and 10.3.1 seem to bring a few good features and added functionality to an already capable operating system (BB10), which is a good thing. Instead of focusing on and arguing about its name, let's focus more on the features that will improve the performance of the new operating system (BB10) without going fully back to an outdated one (BBOS).

Posted via CB10
    Completely agree!!
    10-12-14 08:53 AM

Yes.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-12-14 09:03 AM
55 123