For all the doubters, I too wondered about bringing back the track pad on a touch screen BlackBerry 10 device...

HOWEVER ...the obvious use for a track pad came to me last night....

I had my Z10 plugged into a hdmi port into a 38" screen and was using the BBC app/ Web page...i had to keep looking back at my phone to select stuff on the Web page by touch.

With a track pad, and the HDMI plugged into the Classic, I could've navigated the website I suppose WITHOUT looking down at my phone and defeating the object of plugging in to a big screen.

Also consider those doing a presentation from their phone and wanting to use the cursor to highlight stuff...remember BlackBerry Bridge with the Playbook?? I guess it'll work like that almost, using the smaller device as a navigation for the big screen however in this case it'll be a track pad.

I use Salesforce on my Z10 and sometimes plug it into a big screen for ease of use...i sit far away from the screen on a long HDMI cable... Essentially the cursor would be useful for navigation so I didn't have to keep looking at the mini screen but could just put my thumb on the track pad and watch the large screen...i expect Q10 users have this problem too.

Plus the obvious use of cursor movement during typing.

It's a means to an end I suppose and when you actually think about it, it is clever.

Think business users and practical use and the options it opens up..as mentioned,finger print scanner, cursor movement, presentation usage, navigation...

Another cool addition I hope the 1:1 aspect phones would have is an intuitive HDMI display that could say for example, output movies or screens to 16:9 if required....its no good having HDMI output if it then only shows 1:1 also.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10...

nikesu, menshawy, dmlis and 1 others like this.
    06-21-14 03:22 AM
    There's nothing to "bring back". Last I heard, trackpad 9900s are still in current production and brand new ones can be purchased. The 9900 is still waiting for OS & other upgrades and that's the Q20's obvious mission.
    TonyBeaumont likes this.
    06-21-14 06:06 AM
    There's nothing to "bring back". Last I heard, trackpad 9900s are still in current production and brand new ones can be purchased. The 9900 is still waiting for OS & other upgrades and that's the Q20's obvious mission.
    Ugh. What's the point of this? Why even add this? You know what the guy is saying. This has nothing to do with his post. Did it really pain you to move on without clarifying that blackberry still sells a bbos phone?

Posted via CB10
    Giro_UK likes this.
    06-21-14 06:53 AM
    Ugh. What's the point of this? Why even add this? You know what the guy is saying. This has nothing to do with his post. Did it really pain you to move on without clarifying that blackberry still sells a bbos phone?

Posted via CB10
    Ugh, What's the point of THIS? Why even add this? You know what I am saying... How many people might not KNOW that blackberry still sells a TRACKPAD phone?
    Does it pain you for that to be clarified for them?

if my post is excessively off topic, I apologize and mods are always free to remove.
    CpE CKS likes this.
    06-21-14 08:40 AM
    Back to topic... I, for one, would LOVE to use my BlackBerry's trackpad for PC navigation. Especially for notebooks. Works pretty efficiently for phones, too.

Has it been clarified if Q20 gets HDMI?
    06-21-14 08:57 AM

Another cool addition I hope the 1:1 aspect phones would have is an intuitive HDMI display that could say for example, output movies or screens to 16:9 if required....its no good having HDMI output if it then only shows 1:1 also.

I'm using a Q10 and this feature is already possible. Use the "Play to" function and choose hdmi. I've been using this when I'm with my son. He watches movie on the big screen while I am still using the phone for other stuff like BBM. My phone is like a very portable movie player especially when we move from room to room.
    CpE CKS likes this.
    06-21-14 09:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah figure of speech...i know they still do a Trackpad but I meant revive it for BB10...

06-21-14 05:42 PM
    I used to love the Trackpad on my 9900 but have been all for touch screen and gesture....

But now again, despite bb10 gesture also see the point of a Trackpad.

Thank you for your supportive comment and to idsteve, come on, you know what I meant....

06-21-14 05:45 PM
    I used to love the Trackpad on my 9900 but have been all for touch screen and gesture....

But now again, despite bb10 gesture also see the point of a Trackpad.

Thank you for your supportive comment and to idsteve, come on, you know what I meant....

Well, I apologize for distracting your thread and certainly intended no insult to you. It's your thread and I'll happily delete my comment if you feel the clarification was unnecessarily off topic or insulting or... ??

I totally agree that the trackpad makes an excellent pointing device. I especially like your observation that that single handed usefulness could readily extrapolate to large external displays without taking your eyes from the screen. I tend to believe track to be a superior pointing strategy to touch in most respects, IMO.

Too many ppl in these threads are too eager to condescendingly marginalize trackpad as "obsolete", "old", etc... technology and I've grown excessively defensive about it. I do know what you meant and certainly don't include you in that group. Just sought to clarify for anyone that might not know what you meant. Give the word & I'll delete the thing. ???
    06-21-14 10:00 PM
    To me, the trackpad is a bonus. I'm excited for the call end/send buttons...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    nikesu, so crow, JGoodard and 2 others like this.
    06-21-14 10:25 PM
    I agree. easily one of the things I dislike most about touch devices is answering and hanging up calls. Buttons do it so much better.
    momofteme likes this.
    06-21-14 10:36 PM
    To idssteve, no need buddy... let's just continue the discussion....

Basically my post was because I'd read all the threads of people saying "Trackpad is old,no need for it"...and as many saying "it's awesome, bring it to bb10"...

However I'd not really considered the positives or negatives of doing this other than it removes screen space...but as I say when you think about it, and for perhaps gaming also, that it's got many many uses that perhaps for BBOS weren't exploited...

idssteve likes this.
    06-22-14 12:07 PM

Basically my post was because I'd read all the threads of people saying "Trackpad is old,no need for it"...and as many saying "it's awesome, bring it to bb10"...

However I'd not really considered the positives or negatives of doing this other than it removes screen space...but as I say when you think about it, and for perhaps gaming also, that it's got many many uses that perhaps for BBOS weren't exploited...

Yep, I can visualize display possibilities where track might prove the friendlier pointing strategy. Especially with hdmi & slimport capabilities. In addition to large screen navigation, how would one navigate a virtual reality headset connected to a touch device? I can see where some future phone might successfully implement built in wall projector... Etc. As stated before, I'd LOVE to use BlackBerry trackpad as a Bluetooth "mouse" for my laptop.

As for eating up screen-estate, trackpad navigation simply doesn't require the screen space demanded by finger navigation. The relatively small screen on my 9900 works just fine simply because of its trackpad. The single pixel tip of a track arrow pointer is about 0.0035" wide. My finger is about 0.75" wide. (Uh, that translates to: 0.09mm vs 19mm for mm minded folks. ) Track is ideal for smaller sceens on smaller devices, IMO.
    06-22-14 02:11 PM
    I agree. easily one of the things I dislike most about touch devices is answering and hanging up calls. Buttons do it so much better.
    There's a place for "soft" pushbuttons and a place for hard wired pushbuttons. I've designed, installed and implemented hundreds of custom touchscreen hmi's for industrial controls since the early 90's. No person in their right mind would use "soft" pb's to implement safety or critical functions. Critical & safety functions are ALWAYS implement via hard wired contacts. There are numerous industry standards and codes around the world governing that. The "end" button may not be considered safety critical, depending on individual users. It IS mission critical, in the business world, to assure a call is positively disconnected. Failure to do so cost my company BIG $$ last year. Hardwired pushbutton is appropriate "end", IMO.
    dmlis and JGoodard like this.
    06-22-14 02:16 PM

How does it remove screen space? The Classic has a larger screen than the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:32 PM
    I'm assuming he means if the trackpad wasn't there the screen could be bigger. Unfortunately that might not be 100% accurate since blackberry needs to maintain the aspect ratio of the screen for developers (a square).

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    06-22-14 03:12 PM
    For me the trackpad will enhance my experience of BlackBerry 10 in certain ways that's just me thou.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 03:49 PM
    The track pad experience combined with the touch screen and BlackBerry 10 is something I'm really looking forward to. I dislike moving the cursor to the middle of a word, 20% accuracy for first attempt. It should increase the efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 03:59 PM
    There's a place for "soft" pushbuttons and a place for hard wired pushbuttons. I've designed, installed and implemented hundreds of custom touchscreen hmi's for industrial controls since the early 90's. No person in their right mind would use "soft" pb's to implement safety or critical functions. Critical & safety functions are ALWAYS implement via hard wired contacts. There are numerous industry standards and codes around the world governing that. The "end" button may not be considered safety critical, depending on individual users. It IS mission critical, in the business world, to assure a call is positively disconnected. Failure to do so cost my company BIG $$ last year. Hardwired pushbutton is appropriate "end", IMO.
    Exactly, I hate having to stare at my phone to make sure it hung up correctly. A hard button that I know works every time will make things so much easier...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    vkberry and idssteve like this.
    06-22-14 05:08 PM
    There are so many reasons...but one I will mention. Sending email... as in hitting the "send" button, instead of hitting the + and realizing an hour later the email never sent. I don't even have big thumbs.
    06-22-14 05:57 PM
    ...Has it been clarified if Q20 gets HDMI?
    Sounds like the microUSB will be enabled for Slimport.
    This to me is a better solution than adding another port for HDMI.
    idssteve likes this.
    06-22-14 07:45 PM
    Thanks. That's good news.
    06-22-14 08:12 PM
    I'd like to see some BlackBerry genuine dock and accessories, so I can charge it and use HDMI at the same time. Even better if the dock works for both Classic and Passport ...

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-30-14 05:35 PM
    Hdmi support is nice but I haven't used it since discovering Miracast
    07-01-14 01:33 AM
    Hdmi support is nice but I haven't used it since discovering Miracast
    I'm the opposite. None of my friends have a smart tv, and I've used the HDMI port MANY times to save movie nights with friends... Haven't used miracast once. Would want to, maybe I need richer friends...
    07-01-14 03:09 AM
30 12