Is is a good idea to buy a new Classic now?
    nope, OS 10 dying, so better find another phone
    07-06-16 09:27 PM
    nope, OS 10 dying, so better find another phone
    It may be dying, but it ain't dead yet!

Posted via CB10
    supertofana likes this.
    07-06-16 09:29 PM
    It may be dying, but it ain't dead yet!

Posted via CB10
    Not good for a person that doesn't own the phone already. That's just throwing away good money. Especially if they're not familiar with the increasing limitations of BB10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-06-16 09:46 PM
    Not good for a person that doesn't own the phone already. That's just throwing away good money. Especially if they're not familiar with the increasing limitations of BB10.

But those that do own and think now is a good time to stock up it ain't dead.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 09:57 PM
    But those that do own and think now is a good time to stock up it ain't dead.

Posted via CB10
    Good luck with that. Passport replaced my Classic which then was replaced by my PRIV. BlackBerry is happy to accept your money. As shareholder, I hope you and your friends buy up all the BB10 phones.

07-06-16 10:11 PM
    This my opinion. Blackberry has made another error in a list of errors to many to count. I waited four years for a replacement for my 9810 slider and what did I get, an Android. If I wanted an Android I would have got one years ago like so many that left. So that left me with two choices Passport or Classic. The Classic was as close as I could get to my 9810 so I purchased it. So now no BB10 slider, no Classic only a Passport. Why does Blackberry treat people who have used their product for years and continued to purchase even when others left like second class users? The ONLY thing that I am sure of is when it's time to replace my Classic I will looking for a phone with a PKB and BB10 and if it's not available NO SALE Blackberry.
    Hans im Glueck and Avenzuno like this.
    07-06-16 10:22 PM
    Acovey is right. The people making the phones and the software aren't the problem; it's the people at BlackBerry who are making the decisions -- they're the problem.

Distracted and confused by all the voices telling them to join the pack and make their version of the same thing the other guy is making, they have lost touch with reality.

The reality is, BlackBerry, (and you should know this without needing to have a house fall on you,) you are not in the smartphone business; you are in the BlackBerry business. Over time, you have lost that portion of the market who used to purchase BlackBerry devices until they discovered that, for them, a smartphone is primarily a camera/game console/media consumption device.

They're gone -- forget about them. Good riddance.

Now you can eliminate that distraction and focus on your job, making money by making BlackBerry devices -- that is, devices that are primarily intended for accurate, professional, mobile written communication. This is a small market. Your target customer who requires this specialty tool with thus have to pay accordingly.

All of the posts on CrackBerry that compare BlackBerry devices with iPhones and Android devices are worthless -- you can disregard them completely. They are written by people who don't get it and they've got you all discombobulated. You are not competing with these devices either in terms of handsets or operating systems.

The company that makes precision microscopes that professionals need for their work doesn't screw around with their microscopes every year to try to be hip and make them more like the products of other optical companies whose business is really cool and popular sunglasses. If they were to do such a foolish thing, the precision microscope manufacturer of long standing would soon go out of business by alienating their customers.

That is the course you are presently pursuing.

Posted via CB10
    acovey, melander and 37201xoIM like this.
    07-06-16 10:49 PM
    The best way to sell BB Mercury next year is stooping production BB classic now, if you buy classic now you will wait maybe two years to buy a new device, and BB wants to sell all the devices they can in the moment the Mercury will be in the market.
    07-07-16 12:47 AM
    The best way to sell BB Mercury next year is stooping production BB classic now, if you buy classic now you will wait maybe two years to buy a new device, and BB wants to sell all the devices they can in the moment the Mercury will be in the market.
    This makes sense but the problem is that Blackberry got horrible coverage about all this ranging from "oh, no more keyboard phones" to "BlackBerry killed all BB10 devices".... Horrible PR....nothing positive was transferred to anyone, specially all the press....

acovey likes this.
    07-07-16 07:27 AM
    I better get one or two before they sell out on Amazon. I still Iike the iconic design. Maybe I'll replace it with my Passport it already looks a bit worn out.
    Avenzuno, acovey and supertofana like this.
    07-07-16 08:07 AM
    Acovey is right. The people making the phones and the software aren't the problem; it's the people at BlackBerry who are making the decisions -- they're the problem.

Distracted and confused by all the voices telling them to join the pack and make their version of the same thing the other guy is making, they have lost touch with reality.

The reality is, BlackBerry, (and you should know this without needing to have a house fall on you,) you are not in the smartphone business; you are in the BlackBerry business. Over time, you have lost that portion of the market who used to purchase BlackBerry devices until they discovered that, for them, a smartphone is primarily a camera/game console/media consumption device.

Now you can eliminate that distraction and focus on your job, making money by making BlackBerry devices -- that is, devices that are primarily intended for accurate, professional, mobile written communication. This is a small market. Your target customer who requires this specialty tool with thus have to pay accordingly.

All of the posts on CrackBerry that compare BlackBerry devices with iPhones and Android devices are worthless -- you can disregard them completely. They are written by people who don't get it and they've got you all discombobulated. You are not competing with these devices either in terms of handsets or operating systems.

The company that makes precision microscopes that professionals need for their work doesn't screw around with their microscopes every year to try to be hip and make them more like the products of other optical companies whose business is really cool and popular sunglasses. If they were to do such a foolish thing, the precision microscope manufacturer of long standing would soon go out of business by alienating their customers.

Posted via CB10
    What you've written is what Blackberry is currently doing and the market isn't buying it. Its also an opinion, which millions and millions of professionals would disagree with.
    07-07-16 10:10 AM
    Why does Blackberry treat people who have used their product for years and continued to purchase even when others left like second class users?
    Because you're not profitable to Blackberry.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-07-16 10:21 AM
    Blackberrys PR team is the worst. "The Classic has long surpassed the average lifespan of a smartphone." The Classic is not even two years old and barely a year and a half old. Complete morons and again showing the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
    I think they meant "the one with a physical keyboard" Apple's iPhones are discontinued one year after each launch.
    07-07-16 01:01 PM
    I think they meant "the one with a physical keyboard" Apple's iPhones are discontinued one year after each launch.
    I know what they meant, but the way they word it makes it sound like the Classic has been around for years. Seems like it would make more sense to say "The Classic's form factor is one that has been around for many successful years..."

It only plays into the public perception that Blackberry has had the same old handset for many years and are just now retiring it. I don't know that it even warranted an announcement. The only reason production stopped is because the chip in os outdated and Blackberry doesn't want to pay for a more expensive one. It would have made more sense not to even acknowledge it. Just my opinion but the wording is poor.
    07-07-16 01:06 PM
    I know what they meant, but the way they word it makes it sound like the Classic has been around for years. Seems like it would make more sense to say "The Classic's form factor is one that has been around for many successful years..."

It only plays into the public perception that Blackberry has had the same old handset for many years and are just now retiring it. I don't know that it even warranted an announcement. The only reason production stopped is because the chip in os outdated and Blackberry doesn't want to pay for a more expensive one. It would have made more sense not to even acknowledge it. Just my opinion but the wording is poor.
    Couldn't agree more. That blog post could have been written by a 20-year-old tech reviewer from Helltube.

Classic
    acovey likes this.
    07-07-16 03:00 PM
    Two years, actually.
    alexmartins likes this.
    07-07-16 04:45 PM
    Because you're not profitable to Blackberry.
    I think BBOS sales will be better then Android despite Blackberrys every attempt to switch.
    07-07-16 09:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Great post. Cisco found out this very thing with it's Linksys fiasco.

Posted via CB10
    Hans im Glueck likes this.
    07-07-16 11:07 PM
    What you've written is what Blackberry is currently doing and the market isn't buying it. Its also an opinion, which millions and millions of professionals would disagree with.
    It is true that millions would disagree with me but they're precisely the ones whose opinions don't matter -- most of them are illiterates. And any who aren't certainly wouldn't try to do any serious writing on an iPhone -- they'd use a BlackBerry.

It is also true that "the market" isn't buying BlackBerry. That was precisely the point. Because it is another market entirely. It is a huge market to be sure -- a market for what are essentially mobile entertainment devices -- large touch screens, millions of useless apps to satisfy attention spans measured in seconds, great cameras for taking pictures of your dog or your new tattoo or your lunch, or "liking" your "friend's" dog (or lunch).

But what has any of that got to do with the other market, the small market, the market we're talking about -- the BlackBerry market?

BlackBerry devices are for heavy-duty writing, managing written communications mostly in the form of e-mails, documents and combinations thereof -- tasks for which an iPhone or an Android device are useless.

BlackBerry devices are first and foremost for people who write on the go. If that option should cease to be available (but it won't -- it will just become more expensive) the recourse is not to an iPhone or a Galaxy or some other comparable mobile game console; it is rather to some kind of laptop or notebook, and then to have some other thing to use as a mobile phone. That wouldn't make much sense.

I think my point stands -- when what I need is a top-quality microscope, what difference does it make to me how big and lucrative and influential the market for great sunglasses may be? Or how great your binoculars are? It's irrelevant.

BlackBerry's raison d'tre is not to be a big volume player in mobile devices; it is the opposite -- their role is to be small, high-quality and very specialized. And if they don't get that, and if they keep going down this path of thinking they're meant to compete with the others in the same "market", then yes, they are dead. Because they're not going to have a snowball's chance in hell up against an Apple or a Samsung in the mobile entertainment device game.

It is irrelevant to the microscope company how many units the sunglasses company pumps out and sells to meet this season's fashion trends.

It makes microscopes -- expensive, precision microscopes -- the market for which is very much smaller than that for snazzy sunglasses, but certainly every bit as much in need of being served.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Hans im Glueck; 07-08-16 at 10:44 AM.
    07-08-16 10:25 AM
    It's sad really. I like the form factor.
    Well, you and I are in the minority. Most people like whatever is currently "trending" and "cool" and that is all-touch glass slabs.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-08-16 12:00 PM
    I used the Classic for a bit and I found it to be a novelty device mostly...novel for its nostalgic factor. But outdated nonetheless and severely underpowered. I didn't even bother installing some apps because I knew it would perform horribly on this phone. If it had better specs and a bigger screen, I probably would have kept it longer.

One alternative was the Passport with its better specs and bigger screen and I did have that phone as well, 2 of them actually but the Passport is simply too big and bulky. I didn't see the sense of having 2 limited and expensive phones.

So I sold them both and went to an affordable slab device with the Z30. There's a reason 99% of the phones out there are slab devices. It fits best in the palm, on the ear, in most pockets and car interior slots and also great for pics and videos. It's a form factor that just fits.

Providing form-factor alternatives is cool if a need is being bet but being different just for the sake of being different can only go so far. There some people like many of us who are curious about different form-factors but most people don't have the time or interest to explore these various form-factors. Most people are just too busy and just need a phone to meet their basic social needs. And a BlackBerry device these days can barely even do that.
    Uh, I use an all-glass slab for work every day, sorry, the reason they sell best isn't as objective as you put it. Maybe for you, and I know it's easier to assume everyone else has the same opinions as you, but the reason they sell so well is simply because they are viewed to be as the "cool" thing and people now-a-days only care about fitting in with the majority. This is proven with how Facebook and Twitter can sway public opinion simply by manipulating the "trending" topics. Merely thinking everyone else thinks something is enough to make people think it too. Sad, but amazing at the same time...

07-08-16 12:06 PM
    I just picked up a Classic for $179.00 new on Ebay. Currently have the Z10, Q10. I will be selling the Q10 to help finance the Classic. Can't wait until it arrives!
    07-08-16 12:08 PM
    I agree that the Classic is under powered. However, If you consider the toolbelt to be a novelty, then it sounds like you didn't really USE it.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately a lot of people didn't know all of the uses that be had with the toolbelt, then blamed their non-productivity on the device rather than their own lack of knowledge... Not saying this applies to who you're talking about, but I've found that to be the case with a lot of people who has made comments like that about the Classic and the toolbelt...

Avenzuno likes this.
    07-08-16 12:15 PM
    We need Trump now more than ever so he can make BlackBerry great again.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    Lol, that or Hillary will make it immune to being charged. :-D

07-08-16 12:19 PM
    There is no such thing as "old technology" or "new technology"; there is only right technology -- the right tool for the job. That is what the Classic is that all the other phones are not. Classic users are precisely the people who, wisely, have no interest in change for the sake of change. When you need a hammer, or a stapler -- that's what you need; you don't need some "better", newer technology that is only "better" in someone else's opinion. But if you do need a hammer or a stapler, just try to make your own, or use something else to do the job when there's none around. That is the iPhone/Android experience for the person who needs a Classic.

And that is the key and the only important point, and the one that BlackBerry seems to have lost here. There is nothing else to do serious mobile writing with because no matter what people may claim -- you can barely write an intelligible sentence, much less whip off whole documents, on an iPhone, or manage e-mail efficiently on a Galaxy. Those phones and those like them are first and foremost cameras and game consoles with provision for writing anything beyond "# LOL" being purely an afterthought.

I would have paid $1000 or $1500 for my Classic 2 if that had been the price because I'm giving you my money for the RIGHT tool, not your LATEST tool.

Unless BlackBerry reverses this stupid decision, this will be my last smartphone and I guess I'll be switching to some kind of small notebook, thereby going backwards -- carrying around a thing four times the size of my Classic.

BlackBerry: It's not about volume sales to kids who want "apps". I have money -- I would have paid you double or triple if necessary for a new Classic so that you could have made your money with fewer units sold.

Way to go: Now you get $0.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, stop with that independent thinking and just fall in line with the mass consciousness. Resistance is futile!!

Hans im Glueck likes this.
    07-08-16 12:22 PM
109 12345