nope, OS 10 dying, so better find another phone
    Yes, it will just stop working when they say the words "BB10 is dead."

Better get something else before that happens!!!

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-08-16 12:23 PM
    Not good for a person that doesn't own the phone already. That's just throwing away good money. Especially if they're not familiar with the increasing limitations of BB10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The phone suits my needs. It will continue to suit my needs because it won't magically change later. That's like console gamers logic that gaming PC's get worse over time simply because new PC hardware is coming out...

07-08-16 12:25 PM
    It is true that millions would disagree with me but they're precisely the ones whose opinions don't matter -- most of them are illiterates. And any who aren't certainly wouldn't try to do any serious writing on an iPhone -- they'd use a BlackBerry.

It is also true that "the market" isn't buying BlackBerry. That was precisely the point. Because it is another market entirely. It is a huge market to be sure -- a market for what are essentially mobile entertainment devices -- large touch screens, millions of useless apps to satisfy attention spans measured in seconds, great cameras for taking pictures of your dog or your new tattoo or your lunch, or "liking" your "friend's" dog (or lunch).

But what has any of that got to do with the other market, the small market, the market we're talking about -- the BlackBerry market?

BlackBerry devices are for heavy-duty writing, managing written communications mostly in the form of e-mails, documents and combinations thereof -- tasks for which an iPhone or an Android device are useless.

BlackBerry devices are first and foremost for people who write on the go. If that option should cease to be available (but it won't -- it will just become more expensive) the recourse is not to an iPhone or a Galaxy or some other comparable mobile game console; it is rather to some kind of laptop or notebook, and then to have some other thing to use as a mobile phone. That wouldn't make much sense.

I think my point stands -- when what I need is a top-quality microscope, what difference does it make to me how big and lucrative and influential the market for great sunglasses may be? Or how great your binoculars are? It's irrelevant.

BlackBerry's raison d'�tre is not to be a big volume player in mobile devices; it is the opposite -- their role is to be small, high-quality and very specialized. And if they don't get that, and if they keep going down this path of thinking they're meant to compete with the others in the same "market", then yes, they are dead. Because they're not going to have a snowball's chance in hell up against an Apple or a Samsung in the mobile entertainment device game.

It is irrelevant to the microscope company how many units the sunglasses company pumps out and sells to meet this season's fashion trends.

It makes microscopes -- expensive, precision microscopes -- the market for which is very much smaller than that for snazzy sunglasses, but certainly every bit as much in need of being served.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah this is the kind of thinking that got Blackberry in trouble in the first place. I won't get into it, but if you really think what you do regarding getting work done and only using a Blackberry you are woefully misinformed and stuck in a time of the past.
    07-08-16 04:22 PM
    Yeah this is the kind of thinking that got Blackberry in trouble in the first place. I won't get into it, but if you really think what you do regarding getting work done and only using a Blackberry you are woefully misinformed and stuck in a time of the past.
    Umm...

Most people need to use more than just a BlackBerry to get work done. I'm not sure what type of job requires only that (maybe a Crackberry Editior job, perhaps...) but that doesn't mean that a BlackBerry can't provide everything that one may need in a mobile device.

The fact that someone is able to get their work done using whatever device they choose is pointless to argue. And there should be no debate that BlackBerries (and especially the Classic) are excellent communications devices. Some people actually don't need any sort of apps for their work. When I see people claiming that Whatsapp is essential for their business needs, I am actually quite surprised. I won't argue them but I'm surprised.

In any type of work that I have done, electronic communications stayed within the usual territory of emails, phone calls, and the occasional text message. Keeping appointments and schedules up to date in the calendar or notes in Evernote and Remember was a very useful resource at times, though I still use an 'old-fashioned' notepad and pen quite often.

Everyone's needs are different. It's such a bull-headed thing to say that someone is "stuck in the past" because they continue to use what works for them.
    Hans im Glueck likes this.
    07-08-16 05:03 PM
    Umm...

Most people need to use more than just a BlackBerry to get work done. I'm not sure what type of job requires only that (maybe a Crackberry Editior job, perhaps...) but that doesn't mean that a BlackBerry can't provide everything that one may need in a mobile device.

The fact that someone is able to get their work done using whatever device they choose is pointless to argue. And there should be no debate that BlackBerries (and especially the Classic) are excellent communications devices. Some people actually don't need any sort of apps for their work. When I see people claiming that Whatsapp is essential for their business needs, I am actually quite surprised. I won't argue them but I'm surprised.

In any type of work that I have done, electronic communications stayed within the usual territory of emails, phone calls, and the occasional text message. Keeping appointments and schedules up to date in the calendar or notes in Evernote and Remember was a very useful resource at times, though I still use an 'old-fashioned' notepad and pen quite often.

Everyone's needs are different. It's such a bull-headed thing to say that someone is "stuck in the past" because they continue to use what works for them.
    You didn't read at all what I said. I said it's stuck in the past to think that you can only get work done on a Blackberry. No where did I say you couldn't get work done on a Blackberry, but thinking it's the only device that can do work is thinking that is yes, again, stuck in the past.
    07-08-16 05:07 PM
    Yes, it would be just as well not to get into it with me. English is my first language. It wouldn't be a fair fight.

It's not about being "stuck in the future" or "stuck in the past"; it's about the right tool for the job.

Thirty years ago, everybody was buying $700 microwave ovens in order not to be "stuck in the past". The Amana Radarange was the most futuristic way to cook the Thanksgiving turkey -- you just had to have one, if you wanted to be with it.

Having invested heavily in modernity, we ruined Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for a season or two. But soon, everyone realized that a turkey cooked in a microwave oven -- even a space-age, top-of-the-line, $700 microwave oven -- tastes like a hockey puck. Newer, yes. Not stuck in the past, definitely not. Best tool for the job? Yes: if you want a rubber Thanksgiving turkey even the dog won't eat.

The iPhone is like that Radarange. And the illegible auto-corrected mess written on it is like unto that rubber turkey of Thanksgivings past.

Eventually, the phase of denying that the emperor had no clothes came to an end. The microwave was put to its proper use (re-heating coffee) and now sells for $27 at Wal*Mart. And we could finally stop pretending that the new thing was synonymous with the better thing and the turkey went back in the oven where it belongs.

Likewise, some people who write on the go may become confused, and get the idea to extricate themselves from "the past" by trying to write on an iPhone, or manage e-mail in twelve separate apps on a Galaxy. But eventually they realize that the thing isn't worth a damn, and give it to their teenager to take pictures of his new jeans for the world's benefit.

And they get themselves the right tool for the job -- the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 05:21 PM
    The dog is correct.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 05:32 PM
    I scored a new Classic for $179.00 on Ebay! Makes me happy!
    07-08-16 05:37 PM
    [WARN]Discuss, debate, or disagree -- but don't get personal. [/WARN]
    07-08-16 06:55 PM
    Yes, it would be just as well not to get into it with me. English is my first language. It wouldn't be a fair fight.

It's not about being "stuck in the future" or "stuck in the past"; it's about the right tool for the job.

Thirty years ago, everybody was buying $700 microwave ovens in order not to be "stuck in the past". The Amana Radarange was the most futuristic way to cook the Thanksgiving turkey -- you just had to have one, if you wanted to be with it.

Having invested heavily in modernity, we ruined Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for a season or two. But soon, everyone realized that a turkey cooked in a microwave oven -- even a space-age, top-of-the-line, $700 microwave oven -- tastes like a hockey puck. Newer, yes. Not stuck in the past, definitely not. Best tool for the job? Yes: if you want a rubber Thanksgiving turkey even the dog won't eat.

The iPhone is like that Radarange. And the illegible auto-corrected mess written on it is like unto that rubber turkey of Thanksgivings past.

Eventually, the phase of denying that the emperor had no clothes came to an end. The microwave was put to its proper use (re-heating coffee) and now sells for $27 at Wal*Mart. And we could finally stop pretending that the new thing was synonymous with the better thing and the turkey went back in the oven where it belongs.

Likewise, some people who write on the go may become confused, and get the idea to extricate themselves from "the past" by trying to write on an iPhone, or manage e-mail in twelve separate apps on a Galaxy. But eventually they realize that the thing isn't worth a damn, and give it to their teenager to take pictures of his new jeans for the world's benefit.

And they get themselves the right tool for the job -- the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    He said people that claim the Radarange is the only tool for the job are stuck in the past.
    07-08-16 06:56 PM
    I'll take "things overheard at RIM, Ltd. headquarters in 2007" for $400, Alex.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    07-08-16 07:07 PM
    I think they mean this style of phone has surpassed it's life. Look back to the Bolds and Curves.

Posted via CB10
    I bet an Android in a 9900 form factor would sell... At least I'd buy one...
    07-08-16 07:23 PM
    I bet an Android in a 9900 form factor would sell... At least I'd buy one...
    Yeah.
    I didn't agree with BlackBerrys announcement, but I believe that's what they intended to say.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 07:31 PM
    I think they meant "the one with a physical keyboard" Apple's iPhones are discontinued one year after each launch.
    Yes they discontinue old phones. And release newer models to replace them at the same time.
    BB discontinued the Classic. Where is the replacement?
    07-09-16 03:34 PM
    Yes they discontinue old phones. And release newer models to replace them at the same time.
    BB discontinued the Classic. Where is the replacement?
    The Mercury, although I still hold out hope the BlackBerry's fortunes will improve the next couple of years such than we will see a new BB10 Classic 2 in a couple of years.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 03:42 PM
    He said people that claim the Radarange is the only tool for the job are stuck in the past.
    Well, what I meant to say was that in spite of the ads and the jazzy marketing, the microwave oven proved a poor choice for cooking a fifteen-pound bird although we were told at the time this was the way of the future. However, it did make a fine $700 coffee re-heater.

Likewise, the iPhone is a poor choice for someone who produces written content on the go, but is fine for playing games, taking and looking at pictures etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 04:05 PM
    The Mercury, although I still hold out hope the BlackBerry's fortunes will improve the next couple of years such than we will see a new BB10 Classic 2 in a couple of years.

Posted via CB10
    If Mercury is the rumored full KB Android device, then rumor also tells that it will be released in 2017 only. It is ridiculous to discontinue the only compact KB device, while it will take at least 6 months before an alleged replacement hits stores.
    07-09-16 04:54 PM
    If Mercury is the rumored full KB Android device, then rumor also tells that it will be released in 2017 only. It is ridiculous to discontinue the only compact KB device, while it will take at least 6 months before an alleged replacement hits stores.

Well technically BlackBerry is having difficulty getting the components for the Classic in today's environment. The Classic is still for sale in various forms and I suspect there maybe a healthy level of inventory in both carrier/ shopblackberry.com retailers. The inventory level should be sufficient in order to maintain the existing demand from hard core users, government and corporate clients. BlackBerry is also still losing subscribers on a quarterly basis.

I recall when the Passport was launched less than 2 years ago, BlackBerry had approx 40 million users. Today? 20 million and falling.

The used market for these phones in some of the strong markets will be plentiful as well. Here in Calgary, Canada there are lots of used devices for sale for anyone looking at a back up device, travel phone etc

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 05:04 PM
    Well, what I meant to say was that in spite of the ads and the jazzy marketing, the microwave oven proved a poor choice for cooking a fifteen-pound bird although we were told at the time this was the way of the future. However, it did make a fine $700 coffee re-heater.

Likewise, the iPhone is a poor choice for someone who produces written content on the go, but is fine for playing games, taking and looking at pictures etc.

Posted via CB10
    In your opinion. IPhones are just like everything else, they're what you make them do. I've watched my sister in law, with her iPhone, juggle her 500-ish clients while on a week long vacation and even whip up a EULA for one in a few hours while sitting on the beach.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-09-16 06:03 PM
    In your opinion. IPhones are just like everything else, they're what you make them do. I've watched my sister in law, with her iPhone, juggle her 500-ish clients while on a week long vacation and even whip up a EULA for one in a few hours while sitting on the beach.
    Exactly. It amazes me that people, who apparently still live in the Stone Age, believe you can't be productive on an iPhone.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-09-16 07:23 PM
    Exactly. It amazes me that people, who apparently still live in the Stone Age, believe you can't be productive on an iPhone.
    I suppose it matters where you work and what you do. I can't really code on any phone.

But the apps that we have at work are absolutely necessary to me to know what's happening. If I want to get on a slack channel to ask about an issue or follow a remediation team then i would hate to have to use the web interface. If I want to see, edit or comment on their report I like having the actual Microsoft Office software to do it. Officially tested and supported by Microsoft and our own security team.

And for those partners and vendors who do give us web interfaces I can be sure those interfaces are always tested on safari and chrome. If not I can open a ticket and they won't respond with "who the heck uses safari or chrome anymore??"

Using the standard OSes that the rest of the planet use has its advantages. You could even say it helps me stay productive (unless you count time patching apps to maybe sort of work as productive work)
    07-09-16 08:46 PM
    Hey, don't get me wrong -- you can totally write on an iPhone, just like you can cook a turkey in a microwave if that's your preferred method. And it is not absolutely necessary to have a hammer to bang in a nail either -- the iPhone is also excellent for this task.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Hans im Glueck; 07-09-16 at 10:06 PM.
    07-09-16 09:17 PM
    At least there's no danger of sand getting in the keys.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Hans im Glueck; 07-09-16 at 10:10 PM.
    07-09-16 09:28 PM
    We should do away with the steering wheel because I'm sure you'll find some people able to turn just as fast with a touchscreen interface. Anyone who disagrees is stuck in the stone-age.

Can you type accurately without looking on your touchscreen I wonder? And he said how fast she is. Nobody has ever made an argument over how fast you can type on a touchscreen versus a pkb. In fact, I believe you can be faster on a touchscreen. But how accurate are you? How many typos (and possible lawsuits in the future) do you think his sister-in-law has in that EULA? Yes, I'm sure none, autocorrect must have correctly fixed everything I'm sure. I'm sure if she was diligent she went back to fix everything. With a pkb I generally get things done the first time. But eh, personal preference I guess. No, wait, I'm stuck in the stone-age is what I meant to type. Autocorrect fixed it wrong...

Hans im Glueck likes this.
    07-09-16 10:51 PM
    We should do away with the steering wheel because I'm sure you'll find some people able to turn just as fast with a touchscreen interface. Anyone who disagrees is stuck in the stone-age.

Can you type accurately without looking on your touchscreen I wonder? And he said how fast she is. Nobody has ever made an argument over how fast you can type on a touchscreen versus a pkb. In fact, I believe you can be faster on a touchscreen. But how accurate are you? How many typos (and possible lawsuits in the future) do you think his sister-in-law has in that EULA? Yes, I'm sure none, autocorrect must have correctly fixed everything I'm sure. I'm sure if she was diligent she went back to fix everything. With a pkb I generally get things done the first time. But eh, personal preference I guess. No, wait, I'm stuck in the stone-age is what I meant to type. Autocorrect fixed it wrong...

You can try and ding touchscreens all you like, but my sister in law didn't get where she is by making mistakes. Her clients are corporations that prefer their documentation to be ironclad, and that's what she delivers.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-09-16 11:11 PM
109 ... 2345