07-05-16 06:16 AM
    Old news here.

*ME173X
    07-05-16 06:23 AM
    I was considering picking one up. Perhaps I should wait for the next version of the classic....
    07-05-16 06:27 AM
    I was considering picking one up. Perhaps I should wait for the next version of the classic....
    Lol, next version of Classic....

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    andy957 and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-05-16 08:48 AM
    There is not going to be another Classic

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 09:53 AM
    It's sad really. I like the form factor.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-05-16 10:07 AM
    Planning to order another classic to have as backup.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno and RIOTVIOU like this.
    07-05-16 10:15 AM
    Blackberrys PR team is the worst. "The Classic has long surpassed the average lifespan of a smartphone." The Classic is not even two years old and barely a year and a half old. Complete morons and again showing the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
    07-05-16 10:21 AM
    Blackberrys PR team is the worst. "The Classic has long surpassed the average lifespan of a smartphone." The Classic is not even two years old and barely a year and a half old. Complete morons and again showing the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
    I think they mean this style of phone has surpassed it's life. Look back to the Bolds and Curves.

But i'm leaning towards disagreeing with them. Out of all the bb10 BlackBerrys that I come across in the world, the Classic is the most common.
    ...but I guess they are the guys with the sales figures...

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 10:25 AM
    I think they mean this style of phone has surpassed it's life. Look back to the Bolds and Curves.

But i'm leaning towards disagreeing with them. Out of all the bb10 BlackBerrys that I come across in the world, the Classic is the most common.
    ...but I guess they are the guys with the sales figures...

Posted via CB10
    I can say the same thing about the BlackBerry 10 phones that I've seen, most of them are the Classic. I've seen a few Passports, a Leap (amazingly!), and a Q10... but still mostly the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-05-16 10:30 AM
    It's definitely the end of an era. They aren't going to make any more handsets that have that iconic BlackBerry look.
    07-05-16 10:37 AM
    They're already unavailable online at CPW.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 10:42 AM
    It just makes me sad. I know I'm silly to be so concerned about a phone company, but I am. Just got to accept it I guess.

Posted via CB10
    Xeak and Berry9790 like this.
    07-05-16 10:53 AM
    It just makes me sad. I know I'm silly to be so concerned about a phone company, but I am. Just got to accept it I guess.

Posted via CB10
    The feelings are mutual. The Classic is the icon BlackBerry device and they've finally thrown in the towel for it. I will continue to rotate use between my Classic and my Passport. I am almost loving my Classic more now that it's been discontinued.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 10:58 AM
    "For many, many years..."? I think mine is 1.5 yrs old, and was one of the first ones in Germany. Ah well...waiting for the Android "Classic" impatiently...

Classic .2876
    Soapm and Berry9790 like this.
    07-05-16 11:06 AM
    What's most annoying ist the content of the announcement. New and better devices.....where?? When? Where is a compact KB device? Actually, where are ANY BB devices? The Priv, which only managers can afford, like Chen said? The PP, a niche product on a dying OS?
    A rumored 'new' Android touchscreen device, made by Alcatel? Who needs that? A new KB Android device, in 2017, maybe, which is supposed to be longer than the already long Priv?
    Terminating current devices, without having anything else to offer that is convincing, while claiming loudly to offer great state of the art devices? I don't get that. Time for separating for good, from a long time and formerly trustworthy companion.
    Soapm likes this.
    07-05-16 11:14 AM
    I used the Classic for a bit and I found it to be a novelty device mostly...novel for its nostalgic factor. But outdated nonetheless and severely underpowered. I didn't even bother installing some apps because I knew it would perform horribly on this phone. If it had better specs and a bigger screen, I probably would have kept it longer.

One alternative was the Passport with its better specs and bigger screen and I did have that phone as well, 2 of them actually but the Passport is simply too big and bulky. I didn't see the sense of having 2 limited and expensive phones.

So I sold them both and went to an affordable slab device with the Z30. There's a reason 99% of the phones out there are slab devices. It fits best in the palm, on the ear, in most pockets and car interior slots and also great for pics and videos. It's a form factor that just fits.

Providing form-factor alternatives is cool if a need is being bet but being different just for the sake of being different can only go so far. There some people like many of us who are curious about different form-factors but most people don't have the time or interest to explore these various form-factors. Most people are just too busy and just need a phone to meet their basic social needs. And a BlackBerry device these days can barely even do that.
    B Louang likes this.
    07-05-16 11:20 AM
    Where's troy tiscareno to tell us that there hasn't been any bb10 production in over a year?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 11:24 AM
    Farewell classic...
    The most beautiful phone ever made by human kind is sleeping here!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 11:33 AM
    I used the Classic for a bit and I found it to be a novelty device mostly...novel for its nostalgic factor. But outdated nonetheless and severely underpowered.
    I agree that the Classic is under powered. However, If you consider the toolbelt to be a novelty, then it sounds like you didn't really USE it.

Posted via CB10
    dollface, Avenzuno, acovey and 2 others like this.
    07-05-16 11:36 AM
    ...If it had better specs and a bigger screen, I probably would have kept it longer.

One alternative was the Passport with its better specs and bigger screen and I did have that phone as well, 2 of them actually but the Passport is simply too big and bulky...

... Most people are just too busy and just need a phone to meet their basic social needs...
    You can't have it all, friend!

...And not everyone uses their mobile device for their "social needs." Personally, I 'need' real social interaction, face-to-face, with the people in my life. I don't need to be connected to every app-based "network" and, in fact, I am MORE connected to my reality because I don't spend so much time scrolling around on them and "creeping" my friends. I just message them directly or, better yet, call them. I understand that not everyone's 'needs' are the same but I am just trying to remind you of that very same fact.

My Classic suits my needs just fine for the time being and just because it isn't the most popular device, or in production anymore, will not change that for me.
    07-05-16 11:54 AM
    Where's troy tiscareno to tell us that there hasn't been any bb10 production in over a year?

Posted via CB10
    Lol he's the manufacturing guru

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 12:03 PM
    You can't have it all, friend!

...And not everyone uses their mobile device for their "social needs." Personally, I 'need' real social interaction, face-to-face, with the people in my life. I don't need to be connected to every app-based "network" and, in fact, I am MORE connected to my reality because I don't spend so much time scrolling around on them and "creeping" my friends. I just message them directly or, better yet, call them. I understand that not everyone's 'needs' are the same but I am just trying to remind you of that very same fact.

My Classic suits my needs just fine for the time being and just because it isn't the most popular device, or in production anymore, will not change that for me.
    I actually agree here. Because the Classic is a crappy phone spec-wise compared to most other smartphones, it encourages me from not using it so much and actually connecting with real people! Funny how that is. The Passport encourages me to use it too much to waste time, unfortunately, plus it makes my neck hurt more too lol.

Posted via CB10
    kertong likes this.
    07-05-16 12:06 PM
    This is just the official announcement, sent out after existing stock was drawn down, Chen said the same thing over three months ago.
    07-05-16 12:17 PM
    07-05-16 02:03 PM
109 123 ...