I'm sorry if this has been brought up already, but anyone notice in the image the Classic doesn't have the individual buttons like in the devices sent to people to test? Do you think this was just to make it appear nicer in the image or if they will really have it this way in the final product?

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-01-14 02:46 PM
    I he he means that in that picture the phone button and the menu button are one piece of plastic. There is no separation, which might be why some thought they were capacitive.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:14 PM
    I he he means that in that picture the phone button and the menu button are one piece of plastic. There is no separation, which might be why some thought they were capacitive.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that. In the other photos uploaded by those who had pre-production devices to use, the call answer and call end keys were separate from the rest of the belt.

11-01-14 07:51 PM
    Yes, that. In the other photos uploaded by those who had pre-production devices to use, the call answer and call end keys were separate from the rest of the belt.

Uh this one is getting weard... The more the release is delayed, the more I think these pre release device is some kind of ambush... they noticed the specs and battery were to low and they changed everything but the form factor!

Same with the illuminated track pad... will it light up or not! Imho it has to.. otherwise it would be a flashback to the early 2000...

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    11-01-14 08:20 PM
    If they make the tool belt capacitive it'll be the biggest mistake ever.

I remember the torch has a single piece of plastic for the tool belt and the issue of the plastic getting separated at the corners. I hope it won't happen to the classic.
    11-02-14 09:59 PM
    The buttons having a single piece of plastic and being capacitive are two different things.

I actually like the single piece design but I would have capacitive buttons

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 06:13 AM
    The buttons having a single piece of plastic and being capacitive are two different things.

I actually like the single piece design but I would have capacitive buttons

Posted via CB10
    If they were capacitive, then it wouldn't really make a difference between having the toolbelt and having those functions on the touchscreen. The point is being able to click down on them so you know the button has been pressed without needing to look at the phone. That's the main draw for me when it comes to having the call answer and call end buttons...

11-03-14 09:20 AM
    I like the button design as single piece
    I don't like capacitative buttons, even if it can be argued there is haptic feedback. I prefer the real "click" of a button.
    Me too, I like being able to keep my finger on the button to be ready to click it when it's time. A capacitive button would ruin that ability as well as the ability to know for a fact that it's been pressed without looking at it.

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-03-14 05:59 PM
    I like the button design as single piece
    I don't like capacitative buttons, even if it can be argued there is haptic feedback. I prefer the real "click" of a button.
    Agreed!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 08:42 PM
    That is a scary thought, if the buttons are not physical/tactile/mechanical. I prefer separate buttons where I can feel and differentiate. Imagine a keyboard that was seamless without any button separations. That’s a keyboard I would never want to use. What are the advantages to a seamless strip of buttons? Cleaning?

This Q20 already has an ultra-small trackpad, and now a seamless Toolbelt? Hmm, maybe RIM is cutting all these corners on the design and specs (minimal RAM, minimal storage, outdated CPU, low definition screen with low ppi, micro trackpad, and now single strip button pad w/ perhaps even capacitive buttons) so that they can keep manufacturing costs down to a bare minimum. That way they can push the phone as an entry level device that is a cheapy cheap alternative to the modern phones that most people would actually want and prefer to use. Push it as a 2nd phone to iPhone or Passport users, or maybe it’s intended as a disposable 3rd phone for the construction site or a rugged camping trip.

I’m just trying to make sense of this alleged madness. Hopefully the release postponement and 2 years of design work were invested into bringing us an upgrade not only for the 9900/9981 but for the Q10 as well.
    11-03-14 09:25 PM
    That is a scary thought, if the buttons are not physical/tactile/mechanical. I prefer separate buttons where I can feel and differentiate. Imagine a keyboard that was seamless without any button separations. That�s a keyboard I would never want to use. What are the advantages to a seamless strip of buttons? Cleaning?

This Q20 already has an ultra-small trackpad, and now a seamless Toolbelt? Hmm, maybe RIM is cutting all these corners on the design and specs (minimal RAM, minimal storage, outdated CPU, low definition screen with low ppi, micro trackpad, and now single strip button pad w/ perhaps even capacitive buttons) so that they can keep manufacturing costs down to a bare minimum. That way they can push the phone as an entry level device that is a cheapy cheap alternative to the modern phones that most people would actually want and prefer to use. Push it as a 2nd phone to iPhone or Passport users, or maybe it�s intended as a disposable 3rd phone for the construction site or a rugged camping trip.

I�m just trying to make sense of this alleged madness. Hopefully the release postponement and 2 years of design work were invested into bringing us an upgrade not only for the 9900/9981 but for the Q10 as well.
    Well, to be fair, the two buttons you would really need to hit without looking are on the ends. The back and menu keys don't really have much use if you're not looking at it anyway. And the buttons at the ends are easy to feel, because just press the strip at the edge.

11-03-14 09:28 PM
    Well, to be fair, the two buttons you would really need to hit without looking are on the ends. The back and menu keys don't really have much use if you're not looking at it anyway. And the buttons at the ends are easy to feel, because just press the strip at the edge.

Heh, I expected as much. Yet another excuse for the corner cutting.

• They can remove the button feel from the Toolbelt, I�ll just feel around the edges of the phone to find where they start.
    • They can reduce the trackpad by 50% surface area. I�ll just maneuver with my pinky or with a cotton swab.
    • I can manage on minimal RAM, I'll simply close programs and browser tabs to make due.
    • I don�t need an HD display, I can function in low-def by just imagining what a website or picture would look like full screen and in its original resolution.
    • They can recycle the leftover Q10 CPUs and GPUs, I�m better off not playing games anyways. I�ll just multitask with my Passport while programs are installing on my Classic.

Like I said, it's not too late. Here's to hoping they are postponing the Q20 release to make worthwhile upgrades and decide to keep separate buttons for the Toolbelt. As Prime Minister Chen said, " �Innovation is not about blowing up what works to make something new � it�s about taking what works and making it better."
    11-03-14 11:10 PM
    That is a scary thought, if the buttons are not physical/tactile/mechanical. I prefer separate buttons where I can feel and differentiate. Imagine a keyboard that was seamless without any button separations. That’s a keyboard I would never want to use. What are the advantages to a seamless strip of buttons? Cleaning?
    Maybe I don't understand your concern fully, but the key strip will be physical. So far, we've seen them as separate keys. The only thing to make us think otherwise is the latest marketing shot, which doesn't always align with the production device anyways. I do however hope that the recent image is actually how it will turn out. It's just like the 9900 was, which looks more clean and still works great with a physical input.

(Pre-Register) BlackBerry Classic: An Open Letter from John Chen-blackberry_bold_9900_02-580-90.jpg
    11-04-14 12:21 AM
    Heh, I expected as much. Yet another excuse for the corner cutting.

• They can remove the button feel from the Toolbelt, I�ll just feel around the edges of the phone to find where they start.
    • They can reduce the trackpad by 50% surface area. I�ll just maneuver with my pinky or with a cotton swab.
    • I can manage on minimal RAM, I'll simply close programs and browser tabs to make due.
    • I don�t need an HD display, I can function in low-def by just imagining what a website or picture would look like full screen and in its original resolution.
    • They can recycle the leftover Q10 CPUs and GPUs, I�m better off not playing games anyways. I�ll just multitask with my Passport while programs are installing on my Classic.

Like I said, it's not too late. Here's to hoping they are postponing the Q20 release to make worthwhile upgrades and decide to keep separate buttons for the Toolbelt. As Prime Minister Chen said, " �Innovation is not about blowing up what works to make something new � it�s about taking what works and making it better."
    Wow, you've really mastered the art of exaggeration haven't you? LOL. Yes, you have to feel all the way around the edge to find the buttons. It's not like it's right at thumb level and you can definitely feel the difference between the toolbelt, the keyboard, and the screen. Simply press near the two sides and not toward the middle. Is your sensory motor skills really THAT bad?? Lol.

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-04-14 01:35 AM
    Maybe I don't understand your concern fully, but the key strip will be physical. So far, we've seen them as separate keys. The only thing to make us think otherwise is the latest marketing shot, which doesn't always align with the production device anyways. I do however hope that the recent image is actually how it will turn out. It's just like the 9900 was, which looks more clean and still works great with a physical input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBerry_Bold_9900_02-580-90.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	311959
    Oh, but how did you find the right buttons on that 9900? Did you have to feel all the way around the edge to find the buttons?? LOL! I'm kidding around. :-P

Yep, I agree with you there, I don't have a problem with the single piece toolbelt if that's how it'll be released. It worked just fine on the 9900 like you said. Other than the battery life and the camera, the 9900 was a great device.

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-04-14 01:38 AM
    I'm sorry all of this button nonsense seems like wild speculation and people are using it to criticize BlackBerry?

Give me a break people wait until the phone is actually out!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 01:37 PM
41 12