Anyone else having problems with music file playback quality? I copied the same files from my Pre 3 and they all sound noisy and muddy.

Granted the files are 64kbps MP4-AAC, but I have no issues with them and they sound crystal clear on my Pre 3 and tried them with an LG G2, same headphones and they sound fine. Just on the Classic.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 02-09-15 at 09:34 PM.
    02-09-15 07:27 AM
    I think it's your files' problem or your headphones'. I've been using my classic to play FLAC music and enjoy the HD quality well!

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 08:02 AM
    Definitely not my headphones. Used the same ones on my Pre 3.

I think it's the AAC decoder, not necessarily the files. It's just that using the same files it's comparatively poor on the Classic vs other devices. I don't have a Passport to confirm my theory it's BB10's AAC support though.

Like I said, same files and headphones on my Pre 3 and LG G2, no issues, only on the Classic. I did try playing something on SoundCloud it does sound better, which is why I think it's the decoder. YouTube is also muddy, but then I do know the quality on there is hit and miss depending on original video.
    02-09-15 08:31 AM
    I have a Q10, not a Classic, but the hardware is supposed to be similar.

I've always found the BlackBerries to have a different sound quality than the Pre3 (maybe sharper on the treble end, if that makes sense -- I'm no audiophile). The Pre3 sound is also a lot more adjustable than the BB10 phones if you have TouchVol installed. I read somewhere that an equalizer was coming with 10.3.1. Does the classic have one? If so, can you adjust it and get a better sound?

Another possibility: I have some very nice in-ear headphones that sound great with device #1 and really poor with device #2. When I try a different set of headphones with device #2, it sounds great. Go figure. So if you have another set, it's worth a try, although I suspect that you've probably done that already....

Welcome to the dark side, btw.
    02-09-15 09:37 AM
    My music playback is very choppy

02-09-15 09:39 AM
    I'm using Xiaomi Piston with mine, and pretty much the only headphones I have outside of OEM. I guess I can try my (busted) set of Brainwavz M5. Even the EQ settings inside the music player didn't do much.

And to my original point, SoundCloud sounds just fine. I also loaded a 320k MP3 and that sounds OK with the Pistons. I much prefer AAC though since the file is much more compact.

Guess another thing I'll try is to re-encode the AAC files at a slightly higher bitrate. It's just odd the difference is that much between devices.
    02-09-15 10:13 AM
    I have not noticed the quality but the UI seems to be glitchy. I can't seem to 'toogle/turn off' the shuffle all function. Anyone else have this problem?
    02-09-15 11:08 AM
    Actually, I did isolate it isn't my headphones, just remembered.

I observed the same difference between MP3 and AAC on Bluetooth A2DP as well.
    02-09-15 12:32 PM
    Apart from the fact that you can't expect more than ok sound from a 64k sound file and that I do not understand why you are not using files with the highest available bitrate (after all we are in the 128 GB mini SD card age), did you check if the equalizer of the BlackBerry music player is on? And did you use the standard android music player on the other phones?

A classic post via CB10 app
    02-09-15 02:08 PM
    I know what 64kbps AAC should sound like because I'm using the exact same files for years. I wasn't expecting crazy good quality, but what I'm talking about here is comparing apples to apples here, only thing different here is the phone hardware. Even the headphones are the same.

Also, not all 64k files are the same, see here:

64kbps HE-AAC should sound at least like a 128kbps MP3, i.e. not with all the sound distortion and noise that I'm hearing.

And yes, I used whatever the phone came with.
    02-09-15 02:32 PM
    You could always use Neutron which will cost a couple of bucks but will provide the best achievable sound.

Fingers->Q10->CB10->Your Eyes.
    02-09-15 02:54 PM
    OK, did a few more tests. 320kbps MP3 plays fine, so does FLAC. Basically it's anything HE-AAC/eAAC+ I throw at it, it becomes noisy and muffled, heck even a 128kbps MP3 sounds better than a 128kbps HE-AAC, which makes no sense.

Odd thing is LC-AAC sounds perfectly fine.

At this point I'm fairly convinced it's the AAC decoder, and definitely not the hardware. I guess my only workaround right now is to reencode all my files.
    02-09-15 09:12 PM
    BlackBerry is not able to play aac correctly. Thats why I leave BlackBerry phones.
    08-22-15 01:17 AM