I have recently purchased and am using a Classic instead of my Z10. I have noticed that at my home where the Z10 used to display full bars on signal strength and never lost a cellular 4g lte connection, the brand new Classic shows only one or two bars of signal strength and has lost its cellular connection several times in the few days that I have owned this new Classic.

I obviously cannot rely upon a phone which loses its cellular connection repeatedly.

Has anyone any experience with such a scenario or can anyone comment on whether or not this is a known issue with the Classic or might I simply have a defective phone?

I like the phone and love having a physical keyboard once again, but I simply am uncomfortable with the thought of counting on a phone which already is causing me concern due to it's repeated losing a cellular signal where this never happened with the Z10.

UPDATE:

Having changed my Classic for another Classic I am saddened and frustrated to have discovered no change in the symptom. In my home using the same carrier as with my previous Z10, the Classic repeatedly loses it's cellular connection or hops onto a competitor's signal. This never happened with my Z10. As such, although I have only a sample of two units, my experience shows that for whatever the technical reason may be, the Classic cannot maintain a cellular connection where the Z10 was able to do so and where the Z10 did so consistently and reliably.

It looks like I will be returning my Classic and returning to my Z10. I don't want to do this as I like the physical keyboard of the Classic, but a phone that cannot maintain a cellular connection is no good to me.

I tried the OS that came with the phone, updated the phone to the newest OS available via the carrier and then updated again using Sachesi. With all three operating system versions the symptom remained the same. Cellular connections dropped. Again, why this is given that my two and a half year old Z10 works flawlessly is a mystery to me.
    I miss a physical keyboard and that was the reason for my (attempted) change to the Classic.

This has been a disappointing experience.
    Last edited by ashdown99; 10-25-15 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Updated information.
    10-21-15 09:28 AM
    Is it through the same cellular provider?
    10-21-15 11:25 AM
    Mine gets great reception. Although it could depend on the OS version and the radio.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-21-15 11:37 AM
    Yes, it is the same carrier, used in the same location. The only change made was the phone itself from the Z10 to the Classic.

I am hoping that I might have a defective phone as I like the Classic and would like to be able to continue to use it, but if it is the design of the unit and not my actual phone that is the problem, then I will have to return to using my Z10.

I am going to try swapping it for another Classic with my carrier and see if that has any impact on the problem. I am curious however to know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

In speaking with my carrier they were stumped. They said they were not aware of any such problem with the Classic and said that (as a more general comment) Blackberry phones have the least amount of tech support required and that they like them for that reason. They suggested I swap the phone for another Classic in the hope that it is a problem with my specific unit and that a replacement will hopefully not suffer with the same problem.
    10-21-15 11:54 AM
    @slagman5
    The phone is running 10.3.2.2474.
    Is there a version of the OS which is known to negatively affect cellular reception?
    10-21-15 11:57 AM
    @slagman5
    The phone is running 10.3.2.2474.
    Is there a version of the OS which is known to negatively affect cellular reception?
    Actually, yes, the radio that came with that OS have had some reports of worse reception. I don't know how comfortable you are with messing with the OS, but a lot of people have had better luck with a slightly older radio, which you can load separately. I softbricked my phone trying that, so I would backup your phone. You can unbrick it with an autoloader but that will delete all of your data, which you can then restore using the backup. I had to do that. So I didn't lose anything but a little bit annoying, haha. But you can try it.

10-21-15 12:50 PM
    @slagman
    Are you able to identify which radio version seems to be the best and also any pointers as to how to change the radio version and where to get it?
    Thank you for your help so far.
    10-21-15 01:32 PM
    @slagman
    Are you able to identify which radio version seems to be the best and also any pointers as to how to change the radio version and where to get it?
    Thank you for your help so far.
    I forgot which radio version was best, I'll have to look into it again, but haven't had the time yet.

10-22-15 07:32 AM
    I have the same problem: randomly loosing signal on my Classic, even during calls. It's set to use 4G-3G-2G. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 07:39 AM
    Is Classic. Today I returned the Classic because the signal (Wi-Fi and carrier) is very weak. The z10 ( same carrier same os) is much more better.

The best result was with radio 799, but is anyway weaker than Z10.

I regret classic but I can't use it.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 11:46 AM
    It is discouraging to hear of other people having this same problem. I will be changing my phone today and I am curious to see if a different unit behaves any differently in respect to the cellular signal strength.
    jagrlover likes this.
    10-22-15 12:16 PM
    My Classic is definitely worse than my Z10. Same carrier. Same location. I used to always get 1-2 bars in my basement and now I'm lucky to get 1. It's really the difference between text messages always going through and having to worry about it. BB10 is awful with handling texts too. If one doesn't go through in a minute or two it will always show it as pending, will never fail out, and you cannot send any more messages unless you restart. Only at that point does it finally figure out the message couldn't go through and displays a red x.

The only plus side is it's still better than my girlfriend's 5s.
    10-23-15 02:30 PM
    My wife's Classic got the t-mo OTA update to 10.3.2.2789 and the reception is excellent. Most are positive about the reception with this OS, even my Z10 is better. You might ask here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...aders-1040826/
    10-24-15 04:46 AM