Time for those of us who purchased BB to come to terms with the fact we bought a BB.... not an android device.... the OP is spot on about running a "leaked" OS version... it is not ready for prime time... with BB10 is software that will determine how well Android will run.....BB has made no claims about how Android will run on 10.3.0 or less......when 10.3.1 does come out... it is reasonable to complain if your Android apps do not function... after waiting for the update for so long... that is not the case right now.... simply put... if Android is SO important to you... switch devices to an Android device.,.. I can tell you from personal experience however... with all the fragmentation in the Android market... you will find the same issues you have now you may continue to have with many Android devices.... I actually do not run any Android apps on my z30... I stick to BB world... find all I need there... If not available then use the web browser..... if I have the urge to play a game not on BB I break out my ye old Ipod... fits the bill quite nicely... that being said... BB is starting to paint themselves into a corner with the Amazon deal... if they preload Amazon on all new devices.. the expectation and rightly so is the apps should run well... this conversation is 2 months too early...lets wait till the final OS comes out before we pass judgement.....
    Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    12-18-14 11:14 AM
    Time for those of us who purchased BB to come to terms with the fact we bought a BB.... not an android device.... the OP is spot on about running a "leaked" OS version... it is not ready for prime time... with BB10 is software that will determine how well Android will run.....BB has made no claims about how Android will run on 10.3.0 or less......when 10.3.1 does come out... it is reasonable to complain if your Android apps do not function... after waiting for the update for so long... that is not the case right now.... simply put... if Android is SO important to you... switch devices to an Android device.,.. I can tell you from personal experience however... with all the fragmentation in the Android market... you will find the same issues you have now you may continue to have with many Android devices.... I actually do not run any Android apps on my z30... I stick to BB world... find all I need there... If not available then use the web browser..... if I have the urge to play a game not on BB I break out my ye old Ipod... fits the bill quite nicely... that being said... BB is starting to paint themselves into a corner with the Amazon deal... if they preload Amazon on all new devices.. the expectation and rightly so is the apps should run well... this conversation is 2 months too early...lets wait till the final OS comes out before we pass judgement.....
    Thanks and yes I always say android has some serious fragmentation issues. I have some people who own a android device that has a quad core or octa core processor and do NOT receive OS updates some still on Jelly bean to be honest. Android is all over the place. At least we know that first generation BB10 devices will still be supported for a long time to come.
    12-18-14 11:22 AM
    Try a Z3! You will know how laggy android app running on my z3. Don't just try a z30, z10, q10, etc. Compare with android device its specifications similar with z3 dual core 1.2ghz . The android device will be smoother than z3. I'm using os 10.3.1.1154, i know it is leak os but hope bb improve android runtime next os. I'm disagree that android apps don't need high specification

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:23 AM
    Try a Z3! You will know how laggy android app running on my z3. Don't just try a z30, z10, q10, etc. Compare with android device its specifications similar with z3 dual core 1.2ghz . The android device will be smoother than z3. I'm using os 10.3.1.1154, i know it is leak os but hope bb improve android runtime next os. I'm disagree that android apps don't need high specification

Posted via CB10
    That is not a hardware issue but more optimization with the android runtime. Remember even though the Z3 how lower CPU than the Z10..Q10 and Q5 it has a way way better GPU Adreno 305 vs 225. Of course the android device if it has the same specs as the Z3 will run android smoother....ITS A ANDROID DEVICE. Plus you should not have 10.3.1 on your Z3. It isn't optimized for that hardware as yet my friend.

I know this is a fact that its software related not hardware. When the Z10 first came out android runtime was horrible. I can say running android apps from back in feb 2013 and now december 2014 with updated android runtime apps and games play way way way way smoother than before and that its the same exact hardware its more with software not hardware.
    12-18-14 11:31 AM
    I understand your point, but then again

Why are my android Apps run A LOT smoother on my passport than they did on my Q10??
    I have been told, when I've complained about how badly Android apps run on my Q, that I've picked the wrong device. That they run great on the Z30 and the Passport. Specs are often cited.

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-18-14 12:18 PM
    You just answered your own question my friend....If games runs smoothly and some apps work perfectly but in other instances some lag or scroll horribly what does that tell you??? If it was hardware related ALLLL games and apps will run poorly not just a "few". That is a software issue and just needs to be optimized that's all that is NOT hardware related.....

Here yourself which app needs more than 2gb of RAM to run....its an app not a heavy intensive game.....

For example the Kijiji app ran horrible on 10.2 and with 10.3.1 it runs perfectly and its the same phone....
    Uh... Some programs/apps require more hardware than others? If my PC runs some programs right but then lags in the more hardware intensive programs and games does that mean there's nothing wrong with my hardware setup?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-18-14 12:20 PM
    Uh... Some programs/apps require more hardware than others? If my PC runs some programs right but then lags in the more hardware intensive programs and games does that mean there's nothing wrong with my hardware setup?

You can't compare a PC to a Phone and you still didn't address my statement....if the same app Kijiji ran horrible on my spare q5 on 10.2 but then ran like a dream on 10.3.1 is that still hardware or software?? How come Spiderman Unlimited (Subway Surfer type game) runs perfectly on the device but an app that requires less hardware push lags sometimes??? Explain that to me....
    12-18-14 01:14 PM
    You can't compare a PC to a Phone and you still didn't address my statement....if the same app Kijiji ran horrible on my spare q5 on 10.2 but then ran like a dream on 10.3.1 is that still hardware or software?? How come Spiderman Unlimited (Subway Surfer type game) runs perfectly on the device but an app that requires less hardware push lags sometimes??? Explain that to me....
    Wow, you don't get it. How apps/programs run depend on multiple things. Software AND hardware included. If the hardware stays the same and an app runs better on one software than the other, then the software was holding THAT PARTICULAR app back in the previous version. But if the app's HARDWARE requirement is beyond the hardware in the system, then no amount of software optimization will fix it, and that's why on the same software, some apps can run smoothly (doesn't require as much hardware) while others will not (requires more hardware). Is this making any sense to you yet?

dale-c likes this.
    12-18-14 01:33 PM
    Wow, you don't get it. How apps/programs run depend on multiple things. Software AND hardware included. If the hardware stays the same and an app runs better on one software than the other, then the software was holding THAT PARTICULAR app back in the previous version. But if the app's HARDWARE requirement is beyond the hardware in the system, then no amount of software optimization will fix it, and that's why on the same software, some apps can run smoothly (doesn't require as much hardware) while others will not (requires more hardware). Is this making any sense to you yet?

You are still not getting my point Slagman5. It is common sense what you are saying if going from an app that isnt demanding to an app that is demanding. However there is a flaw in that statement in this scenario.

Let's for example a heavy game hmmm....Fifa 14 or let's say Resident Evil 4 or Let's say Dead Trigger 2. (Android Games)

Now we all now games are taxing on the CPU....GPU and RAM right??? ok

Let's take an app for example a banking app or whatever app we might use. An app will require way less resources than a game...now explain this using the same hardware why does an app lag a bit that requires less resources have issues scrolling...opening stuff within the app and so on lag......and a game that requires way more processing power in terms of the CPU....GPU...RAM and Audio as well not lag and no performance issues??? Explain that to me.....
    12-18-14 01:42 PM
    I made a thread about how the classic specs are a blessing in disguise ( http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sguise-983854/ ) and I had a few people tell me you need high specs to run android apps and games which is FALSE!!!!!!

The Z10 uses the same 1.5 dual core s4 with adreno 225 found in the classic and plays some big time android games I've attached a few links to youtube showcasing this and most of the videos the person is using 10.2 or 10.2.1 and the games play I would say 98% smooth

So all those people who just talk nonsense about we need high end specs to play android games don't know crap!!

I am just sick and tired of this spec talk nonsense and how we need it run android games and apps properly when that is not the case at all what matters is the android runtime optimization within BB10 not the specs

Remember people I am telling you 10.3.1 will make it even better in terms of running games and apps however it is not ready yet fully since it does have some bugs on it and needs to be optimized a lot more. I would NOT recommend it as your daily driver.
    Hmm. Let us ignore games and just simplistic apps ... compare even the Passport to the next highest BB10 device running on 10.3.1.1152 and you'll immediately see a download, installation, and launch speed time difference between the two. In All aspects.
    Fr3lncr and MarsupilamiX like this.
    12-18-14 01:59 PM
    You are still not getting my point Slagman5. It is common sense what you are saying if going from an app that isnt demanding to an app that is demanding. However there is a flaw in that statement in this scenario.

Let's for example a heavy game hmmm....Fifa 14 or let's say Resident Evil 4 or Let's say Dead Trigger 2. (Android Games)

Now we all now games are taxing on the CPU....GPU and RAM right??? ok

Let's take an app for example a banking app or whatever app we might use. An app will require way less resources than a game...now explain this using the same hardware why does an app lag a bit that requires less resources have issues scrolling...opening stuff within the app and so on lag......and a game that requires way more processing power in terms of the CPU....GPU...RAM and Audio as well not lag and no performance issues??? Explain that to me.....
    You can't apply one rule to rule them all. Like I've said, performance depends on BOTH. So if one AND/OR the other is lacking, then it will not run smoothly. Of course we all want the software side to be as optimized as possible, but it'll be foolish to ignore the hardware side in the process...

12-18-14 02:00 PM
    You can't apply one rule to rule them all. Like I've said, performance depends on BOTH. So if one AND/OR the other is lacking, then it will not run smoothly. Of course we all want the software side to be as optimized as possible, but it'll be foolish to ignore the hardware side in the process...

Oh for sure. Don't get me wrong I am not saying for BB to just slap on old *** processors in their phones of course. Better hardware always means better performance guaranteed and BB knows this which is why 2015 is when we will see the power houses and trust I will be the first to buy BB next high end phone filled with specs to the max. What I am defending though is that people think you need high end specs to run games and apps when that is not the case....no app or game with takes complete advantage of quad core processors. Of course high end specs though means the phone will be supported for a very very very very long time. I just get irritated when people think you need quad core or octa core processors to run games and apps....we are not running autocad or some high end PC game with maxed out specs lol
    12-18-14 02:08 PM
    Hmm. Let us ignore games and just simplistic apps ... compare even the Passport to the next highest BB10 device running on 10.3.1.1152 and you'll immediately see a download, installation, and launch speed time difference between the two. In All aspects.
    Don't get me wrong passport vs another device you will see a big improvement in operation for sure. However what I am talking about mainly is that people think you need high end specs to run android apps and games properly which is not the case at all. But of course if the hardware is higher performance will be higher but that doesn't mean the older devices cant run smoothly for apps or games....native or not...
    12-18-14 02:18 PM
    Dude, Andriod app performance will suffer due to the decision to put old specs in the Classic.
    Period. There is no way around it.
    That doesn't mean they won't be useful.
    I can watch ESPN or BTN2GO etc without problems on my z10, but load times are sluggish and it's not as good as I would like.

The fact is, no amount of optimization will ever make up for the fact that Android apps are not native.

It's not a deal breaker, and it is adequate but z30 specs would have been better.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    12-18-14 02:20 PM
    Dude, Andriod app performance will suffer due to the decision to put old specs in the Classic.
    Period. There is no way around it.
    That doesn't mean they won't be useful.
    I can watch ESPN or BTN2GO etc without problems on my z10, but load times are sluggish and it's not as good as I would like.

The fact is, no amount of optimization will ever make up for the fact that Android apps are not native.

It's not a deal breaker, and it is adequate but z30 specs would have been better.

Posted via CB10
    I get what your saying trust me on that one. However are talking about the classic...the purpose of it is to get people off Legacy to BB10. Even with the Z30 and even the passport some android apps are still laggy. I tried the passport at Telus and downloaded some android apps and a few of them lagged badly or would stutter and the Passport has a snapdragon with 801 quad core CPU with 3GB of RAM. So optimization (imporev android runtime) plays a big big big factor into it. Software is I would say 70 to 80 percent important and hardware 20 percent in terms of game and app performance. Even a colleague of mine has the passport as well and some android apps (Very few) lag or crash or stutter and this is something I see everyday.
    12-18-14 02:27 PM
    My Z30 was smoother my Z10, my Passport is noticeably smoother than my Z30. They have the same OS versions at the time of comparison.

Yeah there will be apps that runs slow on Passport too, to a point that it looks as slow as a Z10. Can you base on this one app experience to say that specs won't matter?

For me, most of my Android apps run as smooth as my native apps. Not so for my Z10.

People always talk about SW optimization can improve experience, yes that's true. Now imagine the same optimization runs on a faster hardware... yeah that's when you not only feel it's fast, but also feel it's buttery smooth.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-18-14 03:15 PM
    My Z30 was smoother my Z10, my Passport is noticeably smoother than my Z30. They have the same OS versions at the time of comparison.

Yeah there will be apps that runs slow on Passport too, to a point that it looks as slow as a Z10. Can you base on this one app experience to say that specs won't matter?

For me, most of my Android apps run as smooth as my native apps. Not so for my Z10.

People always talk about SW optimization can improve experience, yes that's true. Now imagine the same optimization runs on a faster hardware... yeah that's when you not only feel it's fast, but also feel it's buttery smooth.

Love your comment it makes sense and also what you say is true. Just remember hardware is easy to obtain software is their main focus right now. 2015 roadmap is when we will see more power house phones to be honest!!! Can't wait for MWC 2015!!!
    12-18-14 03:18 PM
    The problem is there are many people already off of BBOS that the want the classic.

Many people left the BlackBerry platform and want to come back but want to keep the apps they have gotten used to.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-18-14 03:22 PM
    The problem is there are many people already off of BBOS that the want the classic.

Many people left the BlackBerry platform and want to come back but want to keep the apps they have gotten used to.

Posted via CB10
    Well we shall see how it goes in the future with this. Apps no longer are an issue mainly with android app compatibility to be honest. What BB needs to focus on with android is more notifications within the hub. with 10.3.1 I notice a lot of games and apps notify me in the hub of certain things but still some apps that don't I remember listening to the android dev podcast and BB said they are working on improving it. John Chen said as well he is working on getting more and more apps on the platform but he said he can't fix everything at the same time. Until BB quarterly results shine and BB10 market share improve we wont see certain apps come yet on our platform. Which is what BB is doing right now remember he said 2014 is about stabilizing the company and now 2015 is about growth....CES 2015 is Project Ion Reveal and MWC 2015 is devices that is when we will see the power house device come to life.
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    12-18-14 03:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    They are not the targeted customers. From the launch video it's clear that BlackBerry Classic are aimed for current 9900 users.

Yeah, not Q10 users, not Z users, not PP users, not former BlackBerry users, not current Android users, not currently iPhone users... only 9900 users or legacy BlackBerry users.

I mean they will sell to you if you want to buy it, but it was not designed for you if you are not in their targeted group.

Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    12-18-14 03:35 PM
    They are not the targeted customers. From the launch video it's clear that BlackBerry Classic are aimed for current 9900 users.

Yeah, not Q10 users, not Z users, not PP users, not former BlackBerry users, not current Android users, not currently iPhone users... only 9900 users or legacy BlackBerry users.

I mean they will sell to you if you want to buy it, but it was not designed for you if you are not in their targeted group.

Exactly!!! Honeslty I couldnt have said it better
    12-18-14 03:39 PM
    The average consumer does not know much about specs anyways. Except for maybe the mega pixels of the camera. The complainers are the ones that are part of forums like these.
    To me it is ridiculous to think that it is a must for a cell phone to need a quad core processor and 3GB of ram. You can not compare android and BB OS it's just ridiculous. They are two completely different platforms.
    I think that this phone is going to do well as a business phone and a phone for the average consumer.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 03:43 PM
    The average consumer does not know much about specs anyways. Except for maybe the mega pixels of the camera. The complainers are the ones that are part of forums like these.
    To me it is ridiculous to think that it is a must for a cell phone to need a quad core processor and 3GB of ram. You can not compare android and BB OS it's just ridiculous. They are two completely different platforms.
    I think that this phone is going to do well as a business phone and a phone for the average consumer.

Posted via CB10
    LOL so true consumers focus on Camera quality and the screen maybe that's it....they do not give a rats *** about quad core this and ram this and gpu that. They care about real world performance!!!! The whole specs thing is something android manufacturers started and people are brainwashed thinking you need 3gb of ram and a quad core processor to run a phone.....its not a PC or Gaming Console...it's a phone. Android needs those specs because of the tons of bloatware manufacturers put of their phones to help prevent lag which till this day still lags.

Only Lollipop what i've seen so far finally makes android seem much more smoother and better animation. On the Nexus 4 it makes the device seem like a brand new phone.
    12-18-14 03:47 PM
    Oh for sure. Don't get me wrong I am not saying for BB to just slap on old *** processors in their phones of course. Better hardware always means better performance guaranteed and BB knows this which is why 2015 is when we will see the power houses and trust I will be the first to buy BB next high end phone filled with specs to the max. What I am defending though is that people think you need high end specs to run games and apps when that is not the case....no app or game with takes complete advantage of quad core processors. Of course high end specs though means the phone will be supported for a very very very very long time. I just get irritated when people think you need quad core or octa core processors to run games and apps....we are not running autocad or some high end PC game with maxed out specs lol
    Thinking that it "needs" something versus what someone "wants" is often two different things. And if it's our money we are spending, there's nothing wrong with wanting more than you might need. I wouldn't wanted anything crazy with the Classic so it'll be affordable, but Z30 specs (since it has a quad-core GPU) would have been just as cheap (or should be) and would give a little boost in performance. I would have liked that much more, but oh well...

12-18-14 03:54 PM
    I would just echo this. Having tried the Passport for a week, the Android apps I use loaded much faster and had less issues on the Passport than my Z30. I can see that software optimization may help a bit, but I think the hardware helps more. Trying to open up IMDB, Flixtster, Googe Maps or BBC News on my Z30 is almost a 'pack-a-lunch-and-wait' affair compared to almost immediately loading on the Passport. Even native BB10 apps load much faster.

This is one of my main hesitations with the Classic. While I much prefer the size the ergonomics of the Classic, I would prefer the processor and RAM of the Passport (though I guess who wouldn't).
    12-18-14 03:58 PM
87 1234