Had a Q10, have a Passport, and now a Classic.

Initial observations:
    - Feels great in the hand. A little dinky now that I'm so used to the Passport, but it's a definite upgrade from the Q10 - nice size, nice feel.
    - It's noticeably slower than the Passport for random things, like navigating through the Settings app, Photo gallery, and certain Android apps.
    -Feels great to have the full BlackBerry keyboard again. Why did they compromise with the Passport?!
    - Feels great to use a trackpad again, but it's only really needed during text editing. I've gotten so used to not having one, it only feels natural to use during text editing and browsing.
    - Still no dark hub.

End comments: I still really wish they had either given the Passport a proper keyboard or given the Classic proper specs. I know that this is a bridge for Bold 9900 users, but I can still dream that the Passport II will have a true BlackBerry keyboard.

Great phone for people upgrading from anything less than a Passport. Others may feel shortchanged.

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 and tomsobon like this.
    12-19-14 04:23 PM
    how long does it take for the classic to boot up?
    12-19-14 05:16 PM
    Passport keyboard is excellent for me. I came from a Z30 and a Z10. Maybe that's made me more openminded about what a keyboard can be but this keyboard is great and I make practically, no mistakes what with the generous size of the keys and the swipe predictions.

Passported to you with a touch enabled keyboard!
    12-20-14 06:30 AM
    Agree with that:
    Classic is really slower and I cannot understand that BlackBerry is not going on with better specs.
    Also I have worst battery life on my classic. Sind 4 hours of minimal use, I have only 45 percent of battery left.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:03 AM
    I can still dream that the Passport II will have a true BlackBerry keyboard.
    Or the classic 2 will have a true current specs.
    12-20-14 07:04 AM
    It's noticeably slower than the Passport for random things
    So. does the passport fast enough?
    12-20-14 07:08 AM
    People underestimate how important it is that the system runs fast overall. You might think the Q10 or Classic run very fast but once you used a passport you will disagree. The passport is way faster in almost everything, hardly ever feels laggy. Really sad that they didn't give the Classic more horsepower, I do like the device more than the passport otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:17 AM
    even though the classic has a more complete keyboard,

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why somebody with a PP would 'downgrade' to a Classic. smaller screen, slower processor, lesser display, and basically a smaller stripped down Passport.

I was able to glean from the launch and interviews that the Classic is more a 'cheap' type phone that corporations would be willing to buy in bulk and spread to the masses (employees). The corporation doesn't care about high end specs, as long its a secure, reasonably priced workhorse phone is all that counts for them.

IMHO, any regular consumer should just opt of the much better passport.
    12-20-14 07:17 AM
    But a lot of people don't like the size of the passport. I could live with the 3 row keyboard but the size is just a bit too much for some of us. I find the classic already a bit too big and heavy.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-20-14 07:23 AM
    even though the classic has a more complete keyboard,

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why somebody with a PP would 'downgrade' to a Classic. smaller screen, slower processor, lesser display, and basically a smaller stripped down Passport..
    I need 2 phones to seperate work and private. The passport is private. The 9983 is work and the classic is just for fun to use when i cannot take the 9983 out. (some customers look a bit weird at me with that phone)
    12-20-14 07:29 AM
    Can you compare Classic with the Q10?
    ( �n my BlackBerry world I've drive Z10,Z30 and now Q10, because of its portability...)

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:33 AM
    Can you compare Classic with the Q10?
    ( �n my BlackBerry world I've drive Z10,Z30 and now Q10, because of its portability...)

Posted via CB10
    The Classic is substantially bigger and heavier than the Q10. But you do get a slightly larger and brighter display. But it is now harder to reach the top of the screen with your thumb. I prefer the built quality of the classic. I even like the plastic back of the classic better. Feels more solid because the back cover is not removable and I do not care about removable battery. The speaker are also stronger and more clear on the classic. The Q10 sounded distorted to me on higher volumes. The toolbelt is neat but nothing I really desired. End Call button is quite useful and the back button can be good for android apps. I don't use the toolbelt to navigate the OS because I really love the gesture control of it. The trackpad is great though for text editing or when wearing gloves because you can still navigate everything with it.

Overall I wish it would be a bigger update. If it had the power of a passport I would definitely keep it. Right now I am not sure if it's worth keeping over the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-20-14 07:42 AM
    Good thoughts but here is me typing out loud.

-keyboard is noticeably bigger than the q10 and I think q10 has the ideal keyboard size. You have to cover more real estate so typing is slower at the moment. Maybe ill get used to it. Maybe I wont.

-i dont like the tool belt with bb10. Q10 made it obsolete yet they brought it back because they listened to the vocal few. It also looks a lot cleaner without. I feel the tool belt doesnt make it timeless. Instead it makes it look and feel dated. Classic right?

-it is a wee bit heavy to use one handed laying down. Two hands it is fine. I guess they chose to increase weight for better battery life. Concessions just like most things in life.

Jury is out. Ill see if I can go forgo the iphone apps to get back phys key accuracy. My ideal BlackBerry would be the q10 with a smaller bezel, same size, weight and thinned out a bit. The classic didnt quite hit the mark for me. Tbd.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-20-14 07:42 AM
    People underestimate how important it is that the system runs fast overall. You might think the Q10 or Classic run very fast but once you used a passport you will disagree. The passport is way faster in almost everything, hardly ever feels laggy. Really sad that they didn't give the Classic more horsepower, I do like the device more than the passport otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    Is classic faster than Q10 or they run same? I know spec are same in them but I expect to classic be little faster and smoother than Q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:46 AM
    I feel or sense little to no difference in responsiveness. It isnt snappy. It is akin to the iphone6 with animations turned on. Not a deal breaker by any stretch and something people will adjust to imo.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-20-14 07:48 AM
    Speed is the same as the Q10 for me.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-20-14 07:53 AM
    Classic vs Q10, I'd say Classic all the way. The slight screen increase and dedicated call/hangup buttons alone seal the deal for me.

I can't tell you how satisfying it is to just get off the phone is - you get that "f*cker/click" feeling again. You can just hang up without waiting for the phone screen to come on then mash the on-screen end call button, like you do with every other touchscreen phone. Just press down on the physical button once, and the call is done.

Probably going to return the Classic though - once you get used to a faster phone, everything else is slow.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:57 AM
    -i dont like the tool belt with bb10. Q10 made it obsolete yet they brought it back because they listened to the vocal few.
    And, by "vocal few" you mean the majority of BlackBerry customers that refused to by a new BlackBerry product and instead hung on to their 9900's until BB would simply give them what they've wanted. 9900 sales were outpacing BB10 sales last year, and that doesn't take into account the millions that have been in service for much longer. Any smart CEO would see this problem and fix it.
    Vintage123 likes this.
    12-20-14 08:03 AM