12-10-15 08:02 AM
34 12
    Has anyone gone from a passport to a classic?

I'm thinking of doing so, as I'm only really using it for emails, messages, and briefly reading the odd document. the passport is just a bit too big for my liking.

anyone tried both of them? what do you think? lacking features?
    05-18-15 10:32 AM
    I haven't gone from one straight to the other, no.

But I had a Passport which I used for around 3 months before selling it on and replacing it with my current iPhone.
    I do want to buy a Classic though as I think it would suit my needs much more than the Passport did.

I loved the Passport, but the Classic is just much nicer in the hand and with the addition of the tool belt it allows for even greater text editing (my opinion) as it is much easier to use the touch screen and trackpad to select and edit words etc.

I also prefer the design of the classic with the full keypad and one handed use.

However, the Passport does run Android apps more efficiently and loads them quicker. It is also a better performing phone feature wise but the specs speak for themselves on that.
    I guess it ultimately comes down to your needs and which handset would work with them best.
    05-18-15 10:41 AM
    I am also interested in knowing how people feel about using one over the other.
    I really want all the blows and whistles of the passport: i like the bigger screen and that it has better camera. It also has a faster processor and battery life. Those are my top priorities. The battery for me is big bc I use my phone constantly.
    I like the classic bc I love my bold: but I need bigger screen, my bolds internet is super slow, even to see this website crackberry it takes for ever. If it goes to full screen, man its slow. If I go to Mobile, then the first part of the message on the far left I cant read.
    Anyways, would love to see if some one has left the passport for the classic and how it go, or the opposite, some one left the classic for passport and how it go?
    05-18-15 11:19 AM
    I have both passport and classic but they both have pros and cons. I like classic keyboard better than passport but passport has much better hardware. I really like both device but I hate to swap sim card. I ended up using passport as daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 11:23 AM
    I have both. Passport keeps luring me back

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 11:46 AM
    That's interesting to know.
    U guys have had both experiences.
    I see one of u is your daily driver and the other is luring you back to the passport!
    I want to know why is the passport your daily driver? I would have thought that it would be the opposite, meaning u use the classic to get u through one handed operation for quick reply, the full 4 row keyboard and toolbelt for everyday email txting etc and then the passport for lay back, use a bigger picture and better camera?
    Thanks for you guys replies! I appreciat the input.
    05-18-15 12:32 PM
    I traded my passport for a classic! No regrets at all, Yes its a tad slower with apps like spotify but nothing to worry about. Love the fact that i can use it with one hand and its quite the beauty. Only downside to me is the battery time. I hardly last the Day while i could last two days with my passport.

All in all a good trade tho. Better formfactor, more productive because of the one handed use.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 12:44 PM
    I do prefer classic form factor but I am heavy smartphone user and battery life on passport is big plus. If classic had passport hardware spec, it would be perfect for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 01:01 PM
    That's exactly where am at!
    I love the classic form factor, but would have loved the passport specs (faster processor and camera and battery life would be my priority). So right now I'm on the fence, don't know which side I'm falling to.
    I'm still happy with my bold 9900 for now until I hear some more people opinions on this subject!
    05-18-15 01:20 PM
    There are several threads on this subject. You may get more info if you take a look at them too.

Below are my thoughts.

I changed from the Q10 to the Passport when the Passport was released so I have been using it for quite some time now. I picked up a Classic this week and am currently using it instead of the Passport. Here are the reasons I bought a Classic while having the Passport. Most of the reasons are related to the size of the Passport.

1. Size, now that the weather is good and I am working outside again I just always find myself trying to find a place to put the Passport and it always feels like it is in the way unless I leave it in the Truck/House while I am working. Not much of an issue in cooler weather when you will normally have a jacket or coat on. With the Classic I can toss it into a pocket and forget it is there until I need it, it fits perfect in my carpenter shorts pocket.

2. The Passport is difficult for me to use one handed, even answering a call is a pain. Again this relates back to the size of the Passport. Many times while I am working I can only spare one hand for the phone.

3. The three row keyboard drives me nuts, WTF was BB thinking?

4. The toolbelt, I missed the toolbelt. I like the capacitive keyboard on the Passport and find myself missing that part of the keyboard. But with the Classics trackpad and the cursor I find it better suited for text selection and navigating web pages with small links etc. The physical call, back and menu buttons are icing on the cake.

I don't plan on getting rid of my Passport and I am sure I will be swapping back and forth between the two devices. I wish the Classic had the same or better specs as the Passport as I do notice a difference in the speed, camera, display clarity, and the build quality isn't as good as the Passport IMO.

At least being able to buy these unlocked outright at a fairly reasonable price gives us the options to swap back and forth.

Posted via Classic or maybe the Passport
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    05-18-15 02:00 PM
    My choice is passport
    05-18-15 02:19 PM
    Be careful! I have a Passport and then I got the Classic just to test it and see by my self which one is better... now I have both! The two devices are the best on the market.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    05-18-15 03:02 PM
    I also ended up getting both lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 03:03 PM
    I haven't tried both but I'm thinking about switching from the Passport to the Classic too. I prefer the full four-row keyboard and the Passport turned out to be too big for me in some situations.

The Passport is certainly a technically more advanced device and I like so many aspects of it, even the keyboard, however, I want something more compact. The Classic just appeals to me, I like the form factor and the track pad, so I think it suits me better.

To the OP: You know how the Passport works and you certainly know its advantages. So if you feel like the Classic's compactness and features outweigh the Passport's perks, it's your best choice. Probably you have already made your decision for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 03:35 PM
    I haven't tried both but I'm thinking about switching from the Passport to the Classic too. I prefer the full four-row keyboard and the Passport turned out to be too big for me in some situations.Posted via CB10
    Are u saying u don't like the passport keyboard? I have tried it at ATT, but it's never the same u try it in store vs trying it in real life!
    05-18-15 06:41 PM
    So which one is better? In your opinion? If u could only have one for the rest of your life, well for the rest of the year cuz I know if u have two of these, that means as soon as BB releases a new improved phone u wil likely get it too!
    05-18-15 06:42 PM
    I didn't like either. I had the Classic for a short while. It was too heavy to be my daily driver (I usually carry the phone in a belt holster), and it had quality issues (gap, light bleed). The Trackpad also took away from the gesture experience (by being right in the middle where one would normally start the up gesture with the hub). I then bought a Passport. Quality and unique device, but not the right size for me (especially, for carrying around).

My favorite BB10 devices are the Q10 (PKB) and the Z30 (VKB). If I have to live with one device forever, it would be one of these two.
    05-18-15 07:16 PM
    I had Passport as soon it came out but sold it as the size was unbearable.
    I then got Classic and used it for a month. I immediately felt the lag and outdated hardware. It did however made me switch back from Android to BlackBerry OS 10.

I then read somewhere that I had to give BlackBerry Passport at least a month to get used to the size and keyboard, and that's what I did. After nearly a month, I didn't only sell my Classic but also stopped using my Galaxy Note Edge. Somehow reading was a pleasure on this odd shaped device.

In the end, it all depends on your needs. Passport is now my daily driver and it has what I need to compliment my daily activities.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/
    05-18-15 07:30 PM
    I have a Q10, had a faulty keyboard, bought a second hand Q5, then bought another keyboard to replace my Q10 one, used that, then bought a Passport. Fast, excellent for emails and viewing PDFs and Drawings (for work). Similar to a post above, the weather is getting hot and the Passport is fine when in a jacket pocket...BUT I don't wear a jacket in summer so there is the single major problem with the Passport.

I then sold my Passport and bought a second hand Classic (used for only 1 week by the previous owner) and money to spare.

I love the 4 row PKB more than the innovative 3 row touch sensitive PKB of the Passport. FYI, I used the Passport for 6 months. I've used the Classic for a round 2 weeks and love it. I can type faster on this 4 row PKB. Before selling the Passport, I was switching back to by Q10 as I found that more convenient to pocket and use one handed (a thing that is almost impossible to do with the Passport) .

I don't find the speed of the Classic significantly slower than the Passport. A fraction of second that's about it. I do miss the flicking up to select words from the Passport that's all.

Battery on the Classic is not comparable to the Passport. If both on 4G, the Classic will make it for 12 hours for me, while the Passport was around 20+ hours. I now use my Classic on 3G only and it last about 18 hours and that's just fine. So I have a little slower up and download speeds but I honestly don't notice as I don't play games, it's all for work emails and occasionally browsing and checking out CB.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 07:40 PM
    Thanks guys!
    That does help a lot.
    Imma have to go to my ATT and do more test driving both, even if the reps get annoyed by seeing me there!
    05-18-15 08:21 PM
    I have had both devices and by far the passport has the superior performance but the classic has style and best form factor.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 08:39 PM
    So... I got the AT&T passport on release day, I tried both the classic and passport on display and felt that the Passport was better for me.

About a month later, I walked into an AT&T corporate store and tried the Classic again but it just didn't feel right again... maybe I should just pull the trigger on it and get one to use as my main phone for a month and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 09:22 PM
    I have both. First bought the pp and then the classic. Like both of the but use the classic more because of the size and the toolbelt. I find very little difference in speed. Granted taht android apps are faster on the pp , but i hardly use them.
    05-18-15 10:10 PM
    My favorite BB10 devices are the Q10 (PKB) and the Z30 (VKB). If I have to live with one device forever, it would be one of these two.
    That's what I keep saying, size does matter when it comes to functional yet not in the way. The Q10 is the size of the 9900 with a larger screen because no toolbelt. I agree it is the perfect compromise...
    05-18-15 11:48 PM
    I went from a Z10 to a Z30 to now a Passport. Just got my wife the Classic. I like the Classic's keyboard size better as it can be a one handed device. I use the touch sensitive Passport keyboard a lot. But it is a two handed device. I have almost given up on flicking words up. The Passport definitely has the processing power though I am certain the Classic could manage my use fine. The wide screen is addictive. Looking at the Hub on the Classic makes me feel something is missing. But the Passport is awkward for me. And I've had it for months.

I'd choose Passport between the two.

But holding the Z30 that my son is now using makes me think that is where my heart is. So I am seriously thinking about getting another one if BlackBerry puts them on sale again. Certainly if they are slow to produce the Slider or Z30 replacement. I could see myself using it for a long time.
    05-19-15 12:13 AM
34 12