Flat out lies. Reminds me of politics.
    or Thorstein Heins quotes
    02-26-15 01:47 PM
    My opinion If you want a nice Camera get a Camera if you want a work Phone get a Blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    Business people use cameras too and for work as well... I go to business meetings everyday and see no BB phones..I guess people here are stuck in 2007-2009 where BB were pervasive...no longer the case nowadays
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-26-15 01:55 PM
    I like a decent camera for pics. I don't take a ton of photos though. I mainly take pics of the kids when my wife isn't around. A big awesome camera isn't a priority of mine.

Don't get me wrong though. If BlackBerry put a pimp camera in the phone I wouldn't complain. But 8mp is fine for what I do. I see why others though would need a better camera. Everyone has different needs.

Posted with the unbeaten Keyboard of the BlackBerry!
    02-26-15 02:24 PM
    I hate when people say, "Its a business tool. Not for selfies and photos." Blah Blah Blah. Lots of businesses now use social media as a marketing tool. Not just to post selfies. When my local pub is having a food special I like it when they post a photo on IG with a photo of the burger. I'm a DJ. When I have to do a walk through for an event to figure out my setup I like to take photos to get an idea of how I need to set up. The fashion industry is a mulit million dollar industry. If you want to use a smart phone in that business you rely on a great camera. Stop with the whole, "cameras are only for selfies" thing. A camera is just as important as a business tool. Not everyone sits at a desk and read pie charts and edit excel spread sheets as business men.
    02-26-15 03:04 PM
    The way I heard Lazardis explain it, there are dumb phones, smartphones, and BlackBerrys. BlackBerrys are a completely different class of devices. Remember - the original concept was simply to put your Outlook program in your pocket. I'd characterize BlackBerrys as extremely secure enterprise-grade communication devices. Oh, and they also make phone calls.
    terminatorx likes this.
    02-26-15 03:11 PM
    My BlackBerry seems pretty smart. I asked it "Are you smart?". And it answered:
    Ouch - Blackberry not a smartphone?-areyousmart.jpg
    Creepy
    edwinsberry and madh263362 like this.
    02-26-15 04:03 PM
    Sadly I may be leaving the BB group. I'm rockin a Z10 and its having issues with the proximity sensor that now activates random buttons when I put the phone to my ear. Sadly, BB does not have a current phone that is all touch. Before anyone says "buy a Z30" let me just say that if I am buying a new phone I want new, not 1 yr+ out of date.BB really needs to figure out what kind of company they want to be
    Have you tried a Z30 running 10.3.1? Not too shabby and dirt cheap right now. Worth considering.

SQC100-4 Classic running 10.3.1.2267
    02-26-15 04:18 PM
    My BlackBerry seems pretty smart. I asked it "Are you smart?". And it answered:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	areyousmart.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	337205
    Creepy
    Need to photoshop a jab in at Melissa.

Or ask it who this Melissa person is, and have it show a response saying Melissa is a weak attempt at a TV personality or something.
    02-26-15 04:25 PM
    Maybe someone (else) should try this before getting all nasty about the BlackBerry Classic cam quality

Camera Lens Testing- Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration and Distortion - Bob Atkins Photography

My results were very acceptable. Print a target and try.
    02-26-15 04:34 PM
    Almost being off topic here, but it just handled a math problem without a problem. (Didn't know it could from voice instructions) Geniusphone?
    Ouch - Blackberry not a smartphone?-bb_does_math.jpg
    02-26-15 04:45 PM
    Almost being off topic here, but it just handled a math problem without a problem. (Didn't know it could from voice instructions) Geniusphone?

Name:	bb_does_math.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	337209
    Wolfram Alfa has been in the backend pretty much since the beginning. It might have been possible to do that ages ago.
    02-26-15 04:47 PM
    Wolfram Alfa has been in the backend pretty much since the beginning. It might have been possible to do that ages ago.
    Yeah I kind of suspected that, just being late to the game..
    02-26-15 04:49 PM
    Unless OP quoted it wrong, they said it didn't have the capability to do those things. Nothing was said about the quality not being as good as the others, but that it simply cannot take photos or shoot and watch videos.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Paid to say it because technically she can be seen as right - if the inference was reference to the non camera Classic model.

That said, it still runs OS 10.3.1 which is arguably the best 'smartphone' OS on the market, but missing the camera features IF the customer purchases the version without those features. They have the choice.
    02-26-15 04:55 PM
    Oh...and now I'm sure there is a blogger tipped to use that commentary to write an article that will state that the classic is not seen as a smartphone and can't take pictures and video. It will hit the wire tomorrow morning in time for Options Friday. The blogger is just reporting true events and will not pen a personal opinion on it.

Standard fare.
    02-26-15 04:58 PM
    so in her world conducting business on a phone doesnt make it a smartphone, i understand now
    02-26-15 05:13 PM
    Honestly I didn't go out and drop 5 bones on a Classic to take cute pics. It's a business tool, and that's where BlackBerry should be focusing it's efforts. If you want a facebook toy, go buy an apple or android...
    95% of the pictures I take with my smartphone are taken for business purposes. A camera in a smartphone is not merely for selfies.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-26-15 06:30 PM
    They are absolutely right. BB is not a smartphone. It's a supersmartphone.
    jas1978 likes this.
    02-26-15 10:15 PM
    BBRY's biggest issue isn't marketing.
    While I agree marketing is not the only issue BlackBerry has, it definitely would be useful if the newest devices were being advertised so people can quit being shocked there are BlackBerry phones with touchscreens.

I still maintaina healthy company is the right thing to work towards before letting people who believe BlackBerry went out of business years ago know they never left and were working on something amazing. And of course, some snarky person will make a comment about the company needing to make that phone already... BlackBerry is on its way back to profitability regardless of the hate any and all opponents spit their way.
    Last edited by berry4life99; 02-27-15 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Post was typed on a Samsung tablet.
    02-27-15 01:29 AM
    95% of the pictures I take with my smartphone are taken for business purposes. A camera in a smartphone is not merely for selfies.

And the camera in my Passport is perfectly fine for this purpose! Not sure about the classic since I don't own one. I suspect it's good enough. Perhaps as others have suggested, CNBC got the wrong model or are just misinformed. But it's just wrong to suggest that all classics and/or blackberry's do not have a camera!
    02-27-15 08:15 AM
    It sounds like she did her research.
    it's sad....and the simplest of google searches proves it wrong...
    02-27-15 11:37 AM
    I tweeted a selfie to here so she would know my BB could do what her child like device of an iPhone could do too...there are people that no matter what will just hate BB because its "a thing of the past", yet the reality is our BBs can do just as much and fast than their daughter's iPhones.
    02-27-15 01:59 PM
    genius phone.

Posted via CB750
    02-27-15 02:00 PM
    Blackberry still a smartphone according to IDC - but Errrr ......

Here's the figure for smartphone market share - Q3 2014 (drop 1.2% compare to LY Q3 figure)

Ouch - Blackberry not a smartphone?-screen-shot-2015-02-28-02.58.25.png

Then we move on to Q4 2014 (again, drop 0.1% compare to last quarter, or drop 0.2% from LY Q4)

Ouch - Blackberry not a smartphone?-screen-shot-2015-02-28-02.56.27.png

And for the FY 2014 market share (drop 1.5% from LY market share)

Ouch - Blackberry not a smartphone?-screen-shot-2015-02-28-02.57.09.png

And here's the chart from 2010 - 2014 ... drop drop drop and drop

Ouch - Blackberry not a smartphone?-screen-shot-2015-02-28-02.57.20.png

BUT, at least blackberry still in smartphone category *cheers"
    02-27-15 02:20 PM
    I tweeted a selfie to here so she would know my BB could do what her child like device of an iPhone could do too...there are people that no matter what will just hate BB because its "a thing of the past", yet the reality is our BBs can do just as much and fast than their daughter's iPhones.
    LOL. Way to show her.
    02-27-15 04:24 PM
    Blackberry still a smartphone according to IDC - but Errrr ......

Here's the figure for smartphone market share - Q3 2014 (drop 1.2% compare to LY Q3 figure)

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 02.58.25.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	337487

Then we move on to Q4 2014 (again, drop 0.1% compare to last quarter, or drop 0.2% from LY Q4)

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 02.56.27.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	337497

And for the FY 2014 market share (drop 1.5% from LY market share)

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 02.57.09.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	337493

And here's the chart from 2010 - 2014 ... drop drop drop and drop

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 02.57.20.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	337494

BUT, at least blackberry still in smartphone category *cheers"
    Thank you for the post, very informative.
    My most important takeaway from them is that BlackBerry is still One of the Top Four SmartPhone Operating Systems.

We all know the BlackBerry dive, and why it happened (BISGate)

If I were Tim Cook, I'd be more than a little concerned with that "little glitch" going on with iOS. Some of his most recent bombastic statements, when taken into context of that chart, are his subtle way of threatening the board of directors that his removal won't be about his terrible performance, but instead he'll try and make it personal.
    02-27-15 05:11 PM
76 1234