View Poll Results: How many Anti-Touchscreen BBOS device users do you know?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know 1

6 31.58%
  • I know more than 1, fewer than 5

6 31.58%
  • I know more than 5

7 36.84%
    Or... you are not her. Simple explanation. Yeah I used a Bold 9930 for a long time with no issues. But I can use anything.

My point was -- I only wanted to turn off the touchscreen for her and could not.

Now BlackBerry 10 on the other hand, I feel was very well designed for touch.
    Ah alright, fair enough.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-15-14 01:53 AM
    I hope there is am option to turn off touch screen.. I hate touch screen - its so sensitive and always ends up pressing things itself.

Posted via CB10
    Your problem is you need to lock the device or put it in a case. It's a different type of device than a non touch so should be treated differently. You wouldn't drive a convertible I the rain with the roof down would you? Same thing.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 08:09 AM
    I can't imagine you have actually read the first post if you're asking that question. People these days.

Posted via CB10
    Lol...I swear I tried, honestly.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 05:14 PM
    Why should the touchscreen not be able to be switched off?

If some people want it, it means there is a need for it. It does not matter why people need to have it off, the fact that there is a need for it should be enough reason. Especially since it takes almost no effort to make it happen with a few lines of extra code.

Blackberry should be looking to be the best and most versitile work tool available, YES, even if that means a bit of extra programming.

There is enough scaled down fanboy toy-phones in the market already for people who can't care less about productivity. Blackberry should not compete downwards to become one of them.

So Blackberry, please listen, I don't need it, but there are people who do and who knows, I might find myself some day also in a situation where it becomes handy.

Unless of course Blackberry is trying to (one again) "educate" it's users to use the touchscreen and consequently is afraid people would escape the valuable lessons if they turned the touchscreen off.
    04-16-14 11:09 AM
    Lol...I swear I tried, honestly.
    So is there something about "how many people do you know that want the touchscreen to be able to be turned off" that is confusing?

I guess you wanted to answer a different question, like "why would someone want the touchscreen to be turned off?"... but in the future I'll just follow my own best advice and just not post a response. Sorry.
    04-17-14 12:37 PM
    Next discussion topic suggestions:
    - ability to switch off the keyboard on the qwerty devices so that users can have a hands-on test drive on an all-touch BlackBerry before buying one
    - ability to have a virtual tool belt but switch off the part of the touchscreen above it (I'm getting creative here )

CB10 + my Q2^3+2
    04-17-14 02:34 PM
    Next discussion topic suggestions:
    - ability to switch off the keyboard on the qwerty devices so that users can have a hands-on test drive on an all-touch BlackBerry before buying one
    - ability to have a virtual tool belt but switch off the part of the touchscreen above it (I'm getting creative here )

CB10 + my Q2^3+2
    All 26 of us, in my office, once happily used non-touch 9650s. NEVER a buttdial. Buttdials started as we transitioned to touch 9930's and got chronic with the Z. BAD for business when buttdialed customers are listening to in house conversations. Some of us got desperate enough to attempt surgical disabling of the 9930's touch digitizer. Somewhat successful but the patient didn't survive complications from surgical trauma. Excessively touchy touch is a liability worthy of an option to disable. A liability significantly under represented with physical keyboards. Your humor is appreciated but disabling keyboards won't prevent but a tiny fraction of the buttdials that disabling the touch digitizer would.
    04-19-14 10:53 AM
    All 26 of us, in my office, once happily used non-touch 9650s. NEVER a buttdial. Buttdials started as we transitioned to touch 9930's and got chronic with the Z. BAD for business when buttdialed customers are listening to in house conversations. Some of us got desperate enough to attempt surgical disabling of the 9930's touch digitizer. Somewhat successful but the patient didn't survive complications from surgical trauma. Excessively touchy touch is a liability worthy of an option to disable. A liability significantly under represented with physical keyboards. Your humor is appreciated but disabling keyboards won't prevent but a tiny fraction of the buttdials that disabling the touch digitizer would.
    I've never had a **** dial, mainly because I don't throw my phone into my pocket willy nilly. I care about productivity so I use a holster. It's faster to take the phone out of the holster than fishing in your pocket, and it's always facing exactly in the direction I need it to be to start using it the moment it's out of the holster. And the magnet on the holster means I don't need to turn off or wake up the screen. That's done automatically when I put my phone into the holster and when I take it out... I actually don't understand how people can use their phone for business and just keep it in their pocket. Trying to get something out of your pocket while sitting down is a total pain. While the holster is right there and doesn't require you to contort your body to be able to reach into your pocket while sitting...

So again, I have trouble relating to this problem... Just like the accidentally touching the touch screen while using the trackpad problem...

04-19-14 11:38 AM
    I've never had a **** dial, mainly because I don't throw my phone into my pocket willy nilly. I care about productivity so I use a holster. It's faster to take the phone out of the holster than fishing in your pocket, and it's always facing exactly in the direction I need it to be to start using it the moment it's out of the holster. And the magnet on the holster means I don't need to turn off or wake up the screen. That's done automatically when I put my phone into the holster and when I take it out... I actually don't understand how people can use their phone for business and just keep it in their pocket. Trying to get something out of your pocket while sitting down is a total pain. While the holster is right there and doesn't require you to contort your body to be able to reach into your pocket while sitting...

So again, I have trouble relating to this problem... Just like the accidentally touching the touch screen while using the trackpad problem...

Our phones are never in our pockets, as far as i know. They spend most of their time in our hands and in desktop charging cradles. When leaving the office they go into magnetic holsters. It's possible sometimes they got "pocketed" and we've considered that occasional possibility but i know that most of the buttdials happened while inserting/removing from the holster and/or the desktop cradle. Or, while simply trying to update excell worksheets. It only takes the lightest of unintentional brush to have the thing dialing, or adding conference calls, or hanging up, or changing Profiles, or turning off all radios or any number of goofy things. I'm glad for you that you get to work in a serene environment. Our day is hectic and our phones are essential tools. We're always multitasking with the phone in one hand and a pen, clip board, coffee cup, etc... in the other. We are utterly fed up with trying to get the job done with a so called business tool that demands more attention from us than the customers we're trying to serve. If we had never experienced the relative productivity of the 9650 we might just acquiesce into accepting those attention demands as "normal". Irregardless of what everyone, including our own IT guy, thinks we should be doing differently, OUR experience is that touch is a liability. Others feel the same way. In what way would a simple check box to disable the digitizer hurt ANYthing??
    04-19-14 02:29 PM
    Our phones are never in our pockets, as far as i know. They spend most of their time in our hands and in desktop charging cradles. When leaving the office they go into magnetic holsters. It's possible sometimes they got "pocketed" and we've considered that occasional possibility but i know that most of the buttdials happened while inserting/removing from the holster and/or the desktop cradle. Or, while simply trying to update excell worksheets. It only takes the lightest of unintentional brush to have the thing dialing, or adding conference calls, or hanging up, or changing Profiles, or turning off all radios or any number of goofy things. I'm glad for you that you get to work in a serene environment. Our day is hectic and our phones are essential tools. We're always multitasking with the phone in one hand and a pen, clip board, coffee cup, etc... in the other. We are utterly fed up with trying to get the job done with a so called business tool that demands more attention from us than the customers we're trying to serve. If we had never experienced the relative productivity of the 9650 we might just acquiesce into accepting those attention demands as "normal". Irregardless of what everyone, including our own IT guy, thinks we should be doing differently, OUR experience is that touch is a liability. Others feel the same way. In what way would a simple check box to disable the digitizer hurt ANYthing??
    Lol, if you consider a busy shop floor a serene environment, then sure. Fortunately I didn't have to deal with the incredibly challenging situation where I need to hold a coffee cup and a clipboard, when I had a Bold I only had to deal with being in a non-air conditioned shop floor with an air ratchet under my armpit, an impact gun in the other, all while wearing gloves and covered in grease and transmission fluid, but never had one accidental dial when I had to look up torque specs on my phone, or had to call a manager to get authorization to do something, or call a fellow tech for advice on something (or the several times I'm left holding up a part that is partially detached while another bolt or nut is rounded off and I had to call someone from the body shop to quickly come with the blow torch, lol), or anything like that. I guess I was just born with incredible coordination or something. ;-)

Edit: And just so it's clear, I'm not against having the option, just stating that I don't personally relate to the stated reason I addressed.

04-19-14 02:51 PM
    Lol, if you consider a busy shop floor a serene environment, then sure. Fortunately I didn't have to deal with the incredibly challenging situation where I need to hold a coffee cup and a clipboard, when I had a Bold I only had to deal with being in a non-air conditioned shop floor with an air ratchet under my armpit, an impact gun in the other, all while wearing gloves and covered in grease and transmission fluid, but never had one accidental dial when I had to look up torque specs on my phone, or had to call a manager to get authorization to do something, or call a fellow tech for advice on something (or the several times I'm left holding up a part that is partially detached while another bolt or nut is rounded off and I had to call someone from the body shop to quickly come with the blow torch, lol), or anything like that. I guess I was just born with incredible coordination or something. ;-)

Edit: And just so it's clear, I'm not against having the option, just stating that I don't personally relate to the stated reason I addressed.

I hear ya, i used to work in a diesel shop. Long before phones with wires went out of style... There are times i'd gladly return to those days when dealing with impossible customers, deadlines, pricing that changes by the minute, etc... The coffee cup reference was inside humor. Some in my office are watching these threads....
    04-19-14 03:04 PM
    I just hate touch screen period.
    idssteve and Euan like this.
    04-23-14 10:24 AM
    I just hate touch screen period.
    amen i agree 1000% absolutely hate touch and would love to be able to turn it off

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    idssteve and rai187 like this.
    04-26-14 01:25 AM
    same reason I gave my 9790 to my sister and settled for a 9360 several months back.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 06:31 PM
    I hate touch screen with a passion as well. Even though I use one (Z10) I'd rather go with only physical keys no touch at all. Too any accidental calls, pictures, app openings etc.

Touch screen is just a disaster waiting to happen for me..

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    04-30-14 07:58 PM
    Too any accidental calls, pictures, app openings etc.

Touch screen is just a disaster waiting to happen for me..

Posted via CB10
    "too ANY..." ???
    I think that disaster isn't waiting to happen, it IS already happening
    05-03-14 08:58 AM
    "too ANY..." ???
    I think that disaster isn't waiting to happen, it IS already happening
    I meant "many".. exactly my point!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 12:00 PM
    I join all those above -- Why do I want to disable the touch screen?

I want to get rid of all the �surprises� that happen when I graze the screen. I want to get rid of all the weird things that happen all time�when I pick the phone up off my desk and happen to slightly touch the screen, try to scroll the screen and accidentally touch a hot link, when I try to scroll and instead get some kind of "swipe from edge..," the hangups that happen when I touch my cheek, etc etc

I want phone, email, text, calendar, contacts, and a simple browser. I want 100% reliability and predictability for those six functions. I am willing to lose a few features here and there, even make some web sites unuseable, if these six are as simple and reliable as they were in 2007. There is *nothing* that can be added, or has been added, that can possibly make up for even a small loss on those six. Any kind of randomness or unpredictability is the difference between older Blackberries that were a joy to use and the new ones that leave me literally punching the thing in the face.

I've used the touch screen for months, people kept telling me I�d get used to it, but I hate the touch screen more every day.

I am throwing the touchscreen overboard, and buying a 9780.
    12-03-14 05:18 PM
    Most of my Q10 accidental clicks end up being harmless, but there are time I'm really nervous using the touchscreen (e.g. sending emails to my entire committee & trying not to click send while editing email & selecting attachments). Prob gonna get Classic b/c I'm really missing the precision of the 9790 but want to keep 10.3.1 & whatever is next.
    12-03-14 11:18 PM
    Also, don't see a problem with Classic having quick setting toggle to turn on/off touchscreen. If someone wants it off, let them turn it off. Even if the OS is somewhat hobbled, let the user decide.
    12-03-14 11:29 PM
    I accidentally swipe up while playing games a lot lol and when in android app, "swipe from the bottom frame to the left or right" is frigging difficult to do. But just can't get rid of the touch screen. Even when the trackpad can do everything. It just can't match the speed and convenience of the touch screen. If you don't want to use it then don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 04:35 AM
    Having to carefully grab or hold a device by its edges is annoying. Being able to turn off the touch screen is all about not accidentally performing an action.
    12-04-14 09:17 AM
    I have walked away from BB because of, what I still see as a very weak ecosystem & a hardware collection suffering from trying to be everything for everybody...and waiting too late to start. But even as an iPhone user...I must say that I detest a touchscreen device for all the same reasons as every poster here. And, I sorely miss a truly great "hard" qwerty keypad! Typing on glass is a bummer.

I can't tell you how many times I've "****-dialed" people I didn't mean to call, started an app or deleted something by mistake.

I loved the form factor of the 9930, but hated the touchscreen there too...but I believe I'd come back to BlackBerry if the Classic had a toggle to enable/disable the touchscreen. If the good things about BBOS10 could be done with the simplicity & amazing functuality of OS5 & OS6...many like myself would come back into the BB family.
    decoy713 likes this.
    12-06-14 08:58 PM
    I'd like a touchscreen disable option on the Classic as well.

I can't believe how many times I've accidentally hit that damn camera button.....

From a Z30
    12-06-14 09:41 PM
    I have walked away from BB because of, what I still see as a very weak ecosystem & a hardware collection suffering from trying to be everything for everybody...and waiting too late to start. But even as an iPhone user...I must say that I detest a touchscreen device for all the same reasons as every poster here. And, I sorely miss a truly great "hard" qwerty keypad! Typing on glass is a bummer.

I can't tell you how many times I've "****-dialed" people I didn't mean to call, started an app or deleted something by mistake.

I loved the form factor of the 9930, but hated the touchscreen there too...but I believe I'd come back to BlackBerry if the Classic had a toggle to enable/disable the touchscreen. If the good things about BBOS10 could be done with the simplicity & amazing functuality of OS5 & OS6...many like myself would come back into the BB family.
    I've never ****-dialed anyone. Oh, but I use a holster instead of throwing my phone into my pocket willy-nilly...
    12-06-14 11:54 PM
77 1234