View Poll Results: How many Anti-Touchscreen BBOS device users do you know?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know 1

6 31.58%
  • I know more than 1, fewer than 5

6 31.58%
  • I know more than 5

7 36.84%
    I could use a function that turns off the touchscreen at least dring calls. On my 9900 it happens too many times, that I either accidently switch from speaker to phone or that I somehow accidently dial someone during the conversation. It is really annoying.
    Also it hadn't occurred to me that so many would have accidental hangups or mutes which I'd attribute to a faulty proximity sensor, but if it is bothersome to them, perhaps the option should be to turn off the touchscreen while on a call, limiting other interactivity while on a call, or having an option to turn it back on with a very specific non-accidental gesture... And again "I don't want to turn off the touchscreen" or "I don't know anyone who wants to turn off the touchscreen" has no bearing on solutions or workarounds for those who do.

You should start your own poll asking "do you want to be able to turn off the touchscreen?" or something and see if the results meet your expectations.
    @WES51 & RyanGermann: That happens to me too with my Bold 9900. I, for one, would like to have that option (to turn off the touchscreen) right now.

@RyanGermann: are you in a fight with Slagman5?

PS: yeah, I had to make a grammar correction (again), please excuse if there's any.
    Last edited by Joe Clean; 03-23-14 at 04:22 AM. Reason: grammar correction
    03-23-14 04:20 AM
    here's some numbers for you. I work on a site with 46 other people. A mixture of management, assorted service people (mechanics, equipment operators, water haulers as well as general labour. out of the 46 8 have blackberry bolds because they don't want or like touch screen phones. I'll grant you all, but 1 is over 30. However the majority of the people paying for the phones and bills are. Out of that 8, 6 have gone to touch screen and gone back, myself included. None of us have phones supplied by our companies so we are free to choose for ourselves what we want to use. All 8 of us would buy a Q20 as we like some of the new features, but can only get them at the expense of going touch screen. Also 2 are still using the old clam shells because they just need a phone and nothing else. Just to be thorough. There is nothing on the market to satisfy the roughly 17% of us here that want a new phone, but don't like anything on the market.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-23-14 02:14 PM
    @RyanGermann: are you in a fight with Slagman5?
    Fight? Not really. It's just an internet discussion forum after all. If you're going to put your ideas up on the Internet for scrutiny, you have to have a thick skin. I do my best not to "fight" but sometimes it's counterproductive to leave certain statements unchallenged. A balancing act for sure.
    03-23-14 02:42 PM
    Fight? Not really. It's just an internet discussion forum after all. If you're going to put your ideas up on the Internet for scrutiny, you have to have a thick skin. I do my best not to "fight" but sometimes it's counterproductive to leave certain statements unchallenged. A balancing act for sure.
    A balanced arguments is good, it makes things interesting, but the way I see it (at this thread) you both have already at a level which you guys are constantly dissecting each words and lines just to make your point clear.
    03-23-14 08:51 PM
    Two people know more than 5? Wow... I assume those are in large pools of BB devices at companies... I can't imagine that out of all the friends someone knows who own BlackBerry devices that the touchscreen is THAT problematic... is it? I only know 2, but that's 2 of the 5 people I know with BlackBerry devices.
    03-25-14 09:21 PM
    26 in my office absolutely detest the touch liability. A few of us dissected a 9930 in effort to surgically disable the touch digitizer. The patient didn't survive the surgery but it is a measure of our universal disdain for excessively touchy touch. Everyone in my office tried and tried to love the Z and later the Q and universally concluded that touch is an inescapable liability. We've reverted back to 9930's using a timed-password lock app to some success. Still nerve wracking. A simple checkbox to disable the freaking thing would provide immeasurable comfort.

3 in our crew have reverted to the 9650. Our major competitor stuck with their 9650s and exceeded our productivity for the first time ever after we started fooling with the Z. Only by reverting to the 9930s and those 3 hybrid os 9650s have we restored our productivity.

Glass Touch is old tech. iPhone released in 2007. Trackpad is NEWER tech. released in 2009. Trackpad is, and always will be, better. Touch might be better for "newbees". Come on, people, stop fearing new tech!
    Q10Bold likes this.
    04-09-14 10:33 PM
    Actually, touchscreens were out long before the iphone...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-09-14 10:48 PM
    Actually, touchscreens were out long before the iphone...

yeah, I've been programming industrial HMI touchscreens since the early 90s. We once had a case, in the early years, where insects attracted to the lighted touch panel were bumping into virtual buttons which randomly activated & deactivatied pumps & equipment.
    Refining touch sensitivity, command reaction delay, optical operator feedback, sleep timout, etc helped alleviate the issue. Ultimately, we installed a simple mechanical selector switch to positively disable the HMI when operators weren't using it. Modern touch phones still have similar issues with hyper sensitive response to unintentional input. A selector check box to disable touch functions should be a no brainer option on devices with redundant trackpad input. Like the 9930, or... Q20...
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-10-14 at 01:20 AM.
    Upgrayedd111 and Ray UM like this.
    04-10-14 01:01 AM
    From what I've seen, the first touchscreen phone was the IBM Simon, released in 1994. So yes, touchscreens are definitely "old tech."
    04-10-14 01:55 AM
    I'd love the option to disable the touchscreen.
    04-13-14 07:19 AM
    Just wondering, since we don't know if and when option to disable the touch screen will be implemented, a possible solution would be to use a screen protector made of material that does work with touch screens. I wonder if there has been any effort put towards making or finding such a product. Myself, I have no issues and know no one with issue so never really looked into it, but is there is scotch tape for example that blocks touch screen or reduces sensitivity.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 12:00 PM
    Why would you want to disable the touchscreen? Don't like it, don't use it, but don't get rid of the option in that case you might need it...

Because use is accidental for some folks. I have seen this with the old bold 9930. Where folks that always nav. Using the trackpad end up accidentally touching something on the screen and get into some area they are not familiar with. I think being able to disable touch on the old BBOS would've been nice.

Won't see it on BlackBerry 10 though. I highly doubt it anyway. The OS was designed with touch in mind.
    04-13-14 03:03 PM
    Because some use is accidental. I have seen this one the old bold 9930. Where folks that always nav. Using the trackpad end up accidentally touching something on the screen and get into some area they are not familiar with. I think being able to disable touch on the old BBOS would've been nice.

Won't see it on BlackBerry 10 though. I highly doubt it anyway. The OS was designed with touch in mind.
    I've never once had an issue with that and I used both a Bold 9000 and 9900...

04-13-14 03:04 PM
    I've never once had an issue with that and I used both a Bold 9000 and 9900...

Well my mother used a bold 9930 and finally I moved her off of it. She did not use touch. And she was always accidentally touching the screen and accidentally putting the phone into silent mode. She'd complain about not getting calls etc. I'd look and she'd have it on silent.

Not to mention the proximity sensor on hers was very slow causing her to always mute calls with the side of her face.

Oh if I could have just turned off touch she'd still be using the Bold.

Couldn't so I moved her to an iPhone.
    04-13-14 03:09 PM
    Well my mother used a bold 9930 and finally I moved her off of it. She did not use touch. And she was always accidentally touching the screen and accidentally putting the phone into silent mode. She'd complain about not getting calls etc. I'd look and she'd have it on silent.

Not to mention the proximity sensor on hers was very slow causing her to always mute calls with the side of her face.

Oh if I could have just turned off touch she'd still be using the Bold.

Couldn't so I moved her to an iPhone.
    So, she was having trouble using a touchscreen so you moved her to a... nevermind... lol ;-)

04-13-14 04:16 PM
    I find it utterly puzzling that the so called "legacy users" (thank God I left that group!) keep thinking of half-a$$ed solutions like disabling the touch screen...

Can I have my laser printer with an inkjet function too please?
    Can I have a button in my car to go from 4 strokes to 2 on my engine?
    Can you pass me a hexagon pencil please to rewind this cassette tape 'cause my walkman batteries are low?

Come on 'legacy people', kiss them BBOS7 good bye!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 04:29 PM
    Couldn't agree more. I know there's a certain warm and fuzzy feeling about not having a tough screen for some of the legacy users, but really you should give it a fair chance as it is by far superior of an experience. (if it wasn't, then there would be more non touch devices on the market right? )

This actually reminds me of some techies that refused to ditch dos once windows finally did away with using it to boot.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 04:47 PM
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the touchscreen was such an afterthought for me on my 9900 device that I would literally have to go out of my way to touch it by accident. More like I would be doing it on purpose...

And I'm having some trouble following the issue u describe OP. Are you suggesting that blackberry allow disabling of the touchscreen, or asking how to do it?

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 07:33 PM
    I find it utterly puzzling that the so called "legacy users" (thank God I left that group!) keep thinking of half-a$$ed solutions like disabling the touch screen...

Can I have my laser printer with an inkjet function too please?
    Can I have a button in my car to go from 4 strokes to 2 on my engine?
    Can you pass me a hexagon pencil please to rewind this cassette tape 'cause my walkman batteries are low?

Come on 'legacy people', kiss them BBOS7 good bye!

Posted via CB10
    what an appallingly ignorant useless insulting pointless off-topic post.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 08:01 PM
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the touchscreen was such an afterthought for me on my 9900 device that I would literally have to go out of my way to touch it by accident. More like I would be doing it on purpose...

And I'm having some trouble following the issue u describe OP. Are you suggesting that blackberry allow disabling of the touchscreen, or asking how to do it?
    I can't imagine you have actually read the first post if you're asking that question. People these days.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 08:03 PM
    I hope there is am option to turn off touch screen.. I hate touch screen - its so sensitive and always ends up pressing things itself.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 08:14 PM
    So, she was having trouble using a touchscreen so you moved her to a... nevermind... lol ;-)

Yes moved her to an OS designed from the ground up for touch vs. One that was not. See that makes all the difference. Not to mention the fact that the proximity sensor on her iPhone works properly whereas the one on the Bold did not. Well it was too slow anyway.
    04-14-14 12:08 AM
    Yes moved her to an OS designed from the ground up for touch vs. One that was not. See that makes all the difference. Not to mention the fact that the proximity sensor on her iPhone works properly whereas the one on the Bold did not. Well it was too slow anyway.
    If you say so, again, I never had a single issue regarding that. Maybe somehow I got a magical version of it...
    04-14-14 12:54 AM
    My mental bucket for these OPs is called 'people against progress party'. I had one of those touch Bolds, utterly hated it at first until I realized it's the necessary step towards improved efficiency and workflow. That's why I use BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 01:44 AM
    If you say so, again, I never had a single issue regarding that. Maybe somehow I got a magical version of it...
    Or... you are not her. Simple explanation. Yeah I used a Bold 9930 for a long time with no issues. But I can use anything.

My point was -- I only wanted to turn off the touchscreen for her and could not.

Now BlackBerry 10 on the other hand, I feel was very well designed for touch.
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    04-14-14 11:13 PM
77 1234