View Poll Results: How many Anti-Touchscreen BBOS device users do you know?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know 1

6 31.58%
  • I know more than 1, fewer than 5

6 31.58%
  • I know more than 5

7 36.84%
    I have relatives that would like a BB10 device but they do not use the touchscreen. At all. They're on BBOS devices like the 9900 and hate that the touchscreen on the 9900 and can't be totally disabled.

If BB10 is enhanced to have full Trackpad / hard button support (without removing any touchscreen capabilities, because I guess it needs to be said that BlackBerry won't be removing or crippling BB10 touchscreen capabilities by adding the Trackpad and buttons) I'm curious to know if other citizens of CrackBerry Nation have friends / family / acquaintances with the same point of view: sure they'd like more power, more capabilities than their BB9900 offers, but they have absolutely no desire to switch to a touchscreen device and have no use for the touchscreen capabilities of the 9900.

Note that on the BBOS devices like the 9900 and 9810 the OS had full support for the TrackPad and menu button and use of the touchscreen was not necessary, but could not be disabled (much to the chagrin of this type of user).
    03-17-14 03:47 PM
    I guess that would be good for some people, but I fear that BB10 relies too much on the touch screen.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    Levi_Asaiah likes this.
    03-17-14 03:55 PM
    BB10 relies on that touchscreen, disable it and it would cause a whole lot of problems

Ex. On the home screen you need to use the quick settings, but how do you access them if ie the Hub is linked to the menu key?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 04:28 PM
    Why would you want to disable the touchscreen? Don't like it, don't use it, but don't get rid of the option in that case you might need it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Ray UM likes this.
    03-17-14 05:40 PM
    BB10 relies on that touchscreen, disable it and it would cause a whole lot of problems

Ex. On the home screen you need to use the quick settings, but how do you access them if ie the Hub is linked to the menu key?
    When you use BB10 with a mouse (which the Trackpad is) when the mouse pointer is near the edge of the screen the cursor changes shape to indicate a "swipe down" action. It would be the same with the Trackpad. There are videos on Youtube showing how BB10 behaves with a mouse.

Why would you want to disable the touchscreen? Don't like it, don't use it, but don't get rid of the option in that case you might need it...
    Because when you touch it when you don't mean to touch it bad things can happen, like hitting the back button when you're in the middle of trying to compose a text or something. The point of this topic isn't to justify the desire to have the touchscreen disabled, moreso to get an idea of whether or not this is a common thing... Google says it might be...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=disab...00+touchscreen
    EAFD likes this.
    03-17-14 06:00 PM
    Yes, but with a mouse you can click the button and then move the mouse. Can you imagine pressing AND moving your finger across the optical trackpad? It'd be horrible/ impossible to get used to.

The only way they can disable the touch screen is if they actually implement the capacitive surface physical keyboard from that parent application that was floating around a few weeks ago. That way you could still swipe on the keys.

In any case, even most laptops sold nowadays are trending towards touch screen (with full keyboard and touch pad of course),.. your friends just need to get with the times before it kicks them in the behind.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 06:07 PM
    Yes, but with a mouse you can click the button and then move the mouse. Can you imagine pressing AND moving your finger across the optical trackpad? It'd be horrible/ impossible to get used to.
    when the mouse is near the edge of the screen, the mouse pointer changes to indicate a "screen edge" action and you just click to activate you don't have to click and drag. Please: stop telling people how to behave and what to like. It's not becoming.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-17-14 06:29 PM
    Because when you touch it when you don't mean to touch it bad things can happen, like hitting the back button when you're in the middle of trying to compose a text or something. The point of this topic isn't to justify the desire to have the touchscreen disabled, moreso to get an idea of whether or not this is a common thing... Google says it might be...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=disab...00+touchscreen
    Oh, I don't know, I guess I must be more coordinated then normal or something. People keep talking about accidentally touching this and that. Just like the argument against the trackpad about accidentally doing the swipe up motion on the screen while scrolling on the trackpad... I've never had any issue accidentally touching the touchscreen while typing on my Q10 or while using the trackpad on my 9900, so I guess that's why I'm confused.

Also, your poll is missing the option for knowing 0 people with that problem...
    03-17-14 07:35 PM
    when the mouse is near the edge of the screen, the mouse pointer changes to indicate a "screen edge" action and you just click to activate you don't have to click and drag. Please: stop telling people how to behave and what to like. It's not becoming.
    Lol... relax, I'm not telling people how to behave, just the inevitable truth. My wife hates touch screens too, and it's getting harder and harder to avoid buying anything that doesn't have a touch screen nowadays. All I can do is try to give her tips on how to tap/not to tap that "stupid touch screen".

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 08:09 PM
    I don't think this should be an option . . . could cause too many issues, I think.
    03-18-14 08:04 AM
    If such a feature could be implemented properly, then I am all for it. Although I use the touchscreen on my 9900 a lot, I wouldn't mind the ability to switch it off when I don't need it.
    Anyway, to me it's all about giving the end user more options.
    Johberry likes this.
    03-19-14 01:53 AM
    They can let the active frames to swipe down(for options) active. Rest can be done with the trackpad

Posted via BlackBerry Q10Bold
    03-19-14 02:16 AM
    I had used the touchscreen on my Bold 9900 a lot more than I thought I would. The only problem I remember having was my face unintentionally hitting the touchscreen and hanging up on people by accident/ghost-dialing with my face while on the phone, lol. I don't think I would have really cared either way had there been a choice to turn off the touchscreen. Options are nice, though.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 03:18 AM
    I always thought that if you turn the touchscreen sensitivity to 0 on the 9900/9930 that by doing so, you would basically disable the touchscreen.
    Last edited by ChainPunch; 03-30-14 at 09:45 PM.
    03-20-14 06:27 PM
    on my 9900 I mute calls by accident and keep accidentally changing my ringer to silent from brushing the touch screen. I've never had the need to use it so I'd prefer it could be disabled since it only seems to cause problems for me. I could always enable it should I have the need if it was a settings option.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-21-14 09:13 PM
    on my 9900 I mute calls by accident and keep accidentally changing my ringer to silent from brushing the touch screen. I've never had the need to use it so I'd prefer it could be disabled since it only seems to cause problems for me. I could always enable it should I have the need if it was a settings option.
    ...and if you're an executive at a company, when you **** dial or hang up on the CEO because of undesired accidental touchscreen interaction, you are going to hate the device, blame the device, and slam it at every opportunity when you discuss your device with your colleagues.

...or, BlackBerry could implement the option to turn off the touchscreen. Maybe even add a purpose-built touchscreen-toggle button (or bring back the convenience keys or make "long press on spacebar" the touchscreen toggle on the Q20... lots of possible implementation options.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 04-17-14 at 12:41 PM.
    03-22-14 07:29 AM
    Also, your poll is missing the option for knowing 0 people with that problem...
    it's missing in the same way that a chocolate brownie sundae is missing shrimp cocktail sauce topping.

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    03-22-14 07:31 AM
    it's missing in the same way that a chocolate brownie sundae is missing shrimp cocktail sauce topping.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, what an egocentric point of view. I'm pretty sure plenty of people do not know anyone with that issue. Your thread is not exactly exploding with people agreeing with this afterall...

03-22-14 08:36 AM
    ...and if you're an executive at a company, when you **** dial or hang up on the CEO because of undesired accidental touchscreen interaction, you are going to hate the device, blame the device, and slap it to your colleagues at every opportunity.

...or, BlackBerry could implement the option to turn off the touchscreen. Maybe even add a purpose-built touchscreen-toggle button (or bring back the convenience keys or make "long press on spacebar" the touchscreen toggle on the Q20... lots of possible implementation options.

Posted via CB10
    An executive **** dialing? Oh, so every one just throws their phones in their pockets willy nilly? I use a holster, it has a magnet that tells the phone to automatically deactivate the screen when I put it away so I don't ever need to manually lock the screen with the top button, so I can get things done with my phone quickly one-handed and when I need my phone, there's no fumbling into my pockets like I'm looking for change for a vending machine. It's always at the ready at a moment's notice and I've had exactly ZERO "****" dials EVER across all BB phones I've ever owned...

anon(9184750) likes this.
    03-22-14 08:39 AM
    Wow, what an egocentric point of view.
    Not sure how me wanting to know a specific thing that isn't the thing you wanted to know is "egocentric". In fact, assuming this topic has anything to do with your opinion on touchscreen enablement is kind of egocentric of you, don't you think? Sometimes topics aren't relevant to everyone.

You did inspire a new post in general discussion that you will recognise as being inspired by your "missing option" comment, but I won't be acknowledging you there because while it won't be insulting to "people like you" it won't exactly be flattering either, so my apologies in advance if you are offended but I'm not going to apologise for offending you if it happens.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people do not know anyone with that issue. Your thread is not exactly exploding with people agreeing with this afterall...
    so you do understand... I wanted to know if there was a critical mass of people who know someone with a hate on for touchscreen-enabled BBOS devices... not percentages, just numbers, hence the no "0 people" option on the poll.

I'f any 10 white house staffers including Barack Obama said they'd like an option to disable the touchscreen it would be in there no matter how many people don't want the option.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 08:49 AM
    Not sure how me wanting to know a specific thing that isn't the thing you wanted to know is "egocentric". In fact, assuming this topic has anything to do with your opinion on touchscreen enablement is kind of egocentric of you, don't you think? Sometimes topics aren't relevant to everyone.

You did inspire a new post in general discussion that you will recognise as being inspired by your "missing option" comment, but I won't be acknowledging you there because while it won't be insulting to "people like you" it won't exactly be flattering either, so my apologies in advance if you are offended but I'm not going to apologise for offending you if it happens.

so you do understand... I wanted to know if there was a critical mass of people who know someone with a hate on for touchscreen-enabled BBOS devices... not percentages, just numbers, hence the no "0 people" option on the poll.

I'f any 10 white house staffers including Barack Obama said they'd like an option to disable the touchscreen it would be in there no matter how many people don't want the option.

Posted via CB10
    Uh, yah, I never said to not include the other choices. I am advocating the poll being more inclusive. You're literally excluding anyone who doesn't know anyone with this issue from the poll. So how is wanting to include everyone egocentric? Please go look at a dictionary every once in a while...

Like with any legitimate poll, wouldn't this have been more informative if you had a control group to base your numbers off of??

03-22-14 08:57 AM
    Uh, yah, I never said to not include the other choices. I am advocating the poll being more inclusive. You're literally excluding anyone who doesn't know anyone with this issue from the poll. So how is wanting to include everyone egocentric? Please go look at a dictionary every once in a while...

Like with any legitimate poll, wouldn't this have been more informative if you had a control group to base your numbers off of??
    first of all,

:facepalm:

second, here's an explanation, because I was wrong before, clearly you don't understand or just want want to complain.

I want to know raw numbers, not a percentage. The 0 option doesn't serve my purpose. I'm not going to debate whether or not the raw number is important to you.

Your idea of a "legitimate" poll is not mine. Again, this topic isn't at all about how many people don't want something, just how many who do. You can take the lack of poll responses as supporting your point that "not enough" people want the option. But as with any legitimate scientific study, you should allow your biases to inform your direction, but not how you interpret the results. The results of this poll show that hardly anyone even knows anyone frustrated with touchscreens. Knowing how many DON'T have a problem with touchscreens is irrelevant to knowing a hard number for how many DO.

Also, there are far too few respondents to draw any "scientific" conclusions, but the conclusion i'm drawing is that so few people even bothered with the poll that the whole topic isn't of interest i.e. "not enough" people care about this issue.

Is that clearer?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 09:10 AM
    first of all,

:facepalm:

second, here's an explanation, because I was wrong before, clearly you don't understand or just want want to complain.

I want to know raw numbers, not a percentage. The 0 option doesn't serve my purpose. I'm not going to debate whether or not the raw number is important to you.

Your idea of a "legitimate" poll is not mine. Again, this topic isn't at all about how many people don't want something, just how many who do. You can take the lack of poll responses as supporting your point that "not enough" people want the option. But as with any legitimate scientific study, you should allow your biases to inform your direction, but not how you interpret the results. The results of this poll show that hardly anyone even knows anyone frustrated with touchscreens. Knowing how many DON'T have a problem with touchscreens is irrelevant to knowing a hard number for how many DO.

Also, there are far too few respondents to draw any "scientific" conclusions, but the conclusion i'm drawing is that so few people even bothered with the poll that the whole topic isn't of interest i.e. "not enough" people care about this issue.

Is that clearer?

Posted via CB10
    Oh don't worry, it was perfectly clear just from looking at your post without bothering with anything you say that you don't care about the actual importance of whatever number you get in your "who agrees with me" poll. I just had to point it out.

Just fyi I'm not actually "against" the option. Options are... optional so I could just ignore it if I don't have a use for it, and the more options the better for people who might want it... I just never knew it was an issue for anyone since I've never experienced any of the problems raised by some people here...

03-22-14 10:48 AM
    I could use a function that turns off the touchscreen at least dring calls. On my 9900 it happens too many times, that I either accidently switch from speaker to phone or that I somehow accidently dial someone during the conversation. It is really annoying.
    Johberry likes this.
    03-22-14 11:49 AM
    Oh don't worry, it was perfectly clear just from looking at your post without bothering with anything you say that you don't care about the actual importance of whatever number you get in your "who agrees with me" poll. I just had to point it out.

Just fyi I'm not actually "against" the option. Options are... optional so I could just ignore it if I don't have a use for it, and the more options the better for people who might want it... I just never knew it was an issue for anyone since I've never experienced any of the problems raised by some people here...
    if you reread the first post, you might see that it isn't my or your or anyone else's opinion that is being measured by this poll: it is a count of how many people you might know of who have expressed an opinion, whether or not you agree. That is why zero is irrelevant, because obviously there are vastly more who haven't heard that, and even hearing "I want a new BlackBerry device without a touchscreen" from two people caught me off guard.

Everyone experiences accidental touchscreen interactions, but most people don't want to disable the touchscreen outright.... so obviously most people will not have heard "I want to turn off the touchscreen and leave it off"... but a number of how many actually have heard that (yes even from oneself) is more interesting than knowing that 99% haven't heard it. Is a poll like "do you like chocolate?" even interesting when it is common knowledge most people do?

Also it hadn't occurred to me that so many would have accidental hangups or mutes which I'd attribute to a faulty proximity sensor, but if it is bothersome to them, perhaps the option should be to turn off the touchscreen while on a call, limiting other interactivity while on a call, or having an option to turn it back on with a very specific non-accidental gesture... And again "I don't want to turn off the touchscreen" or "I don't know anyone who wants to turn off the touchscreen" has no bearing on solutions or workarounds for those who do.

You should start your own poll asking "do you want to be able to turn off the touchscreen?" or something and see if the results meet your expectations.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-22-14 at 07:28 PM.
    03-22-14 04:43 PM
77 123 ...