Hello,

This thread is to analyze the opportunities and risks for BlackBerry with the new BlackBerry Q20.
    Every time a firm is developing or launching a new product, there are many risks and opportunities involved, the + and the - , that will either lead to its success or its failure.

Unfortunately, we don't have the Q20 specs yet but we may point some things out.

01) Opportunities:

- The Q20 may allow remaining die-hard BlackBerry OS7 customers to upgrade to the new OS10.
    In the process, BlackBerry may start its plan to ditch OS7.

- Remaining OS7 customers won't need to jump ship since bringing the best of both worlds into one device will insure great quality. No more laggy and daily rebootable Bold 9900 to deal with.

- The Q20 will fill up the BlackBerry tradition's gap in OS10. When we ask people how they see a BlackBerry, they think of the keyboard and the track pad. It will be the first OS10 device to have the traditional keyboard/buttons layout. Q10 or Q20? With or without? Now the choice is yours.

- Bringing back the track pad and menu/back buttons is a hommage to the business area. This is where BlackBerry is best to be. These buttons increase rapidly production and edition of emails, texts, work files, etc... they are a gain in time, and time is money. Do it better, do it faster, effortlessly right?

- (Supposition) A 3'5 inches screen will allow you to watch a movie in landscape mode. It wasn't pointed out but it sounds obvious.
    The Q20 is maybe the first QWERTY smartphone with screen rotation that will allow you to watch movies in landscape mode.

- A bigger battery with a better hardware is a certitude to have a device that will last a few days. BlackBerry Bold 9900 lasted from 4 to 7 days... when you work and need to be productive for your business, battery life shouldn't be an obsession, you already have enough things to think about to avoid going bankruptcy than your little companion's battery level.

- BES12, USB port, HDMI port, at least Q10 specs, QNX OS10, QNX implementation in cars....
    Your Q20 may or will become the most productive smartphone on Earth.
    Even your car will run the business for you.

- The Q20 will become both your business and personal smartphone thanks to the new BES12 system. More and more people will return to BlackBerry IF nostalgia, price and efficiency go beyond people close-minded "sheep's vision".

Blackberry should sales this new product to business people first and let them spread the words to the global public like before. All packed via great marketing. The history will repeat itself and Blackberry may regain its success.

Plus BBWorld and Android apps under one brand is both of best worlds in one hand.
    APP gap is no longer a valid excuse. (except if you fall in the category of the troll).

02 Risks:

- People don't upgrade from OS7 to OS10 because of either the price or they don't see a valid reason to upgrade.
    BlackBerry should adjust the balance of buying it or not, and set the price right.

- Blackberry Z10 flop scenario repeating itself is a risk. But the main reasons why it was the flop was the lack of apps, the lack of BB OS7 options and tools like speed dial and, of course, ketchup marketing (joke intended).
    Now the OS is mature and getting better and better everyday.

- Putting back the track pad and the menu/back buttons can be seen as a "return in the past" scenario.
    BlackBerry is already shaken with them being "too little, too late" thingy in the new generation smartphone industry (I precise "new generation" because BlackBerry already built smartphones before iPhone and Android came along) and the risk is from potential buyers behavior who may reject it for the image it may give.
    (Mostly in the US where people tend to judge a product and its owner after the trending of a brand without even seeing the benefits out of it nor even testing it,...no wonders selfies pictures became popular... always about your image and not what you may achieve from a different way).

- OS10 and/or general users won't change/upgrade their phones to the new Q20 because they leaped the tactile gap and no longer see any use in QWERTY phones. Sells will remain as low as the Q10's.

- Carriers no longer supports BlackBerry by the time the Q20 is released (Worst case scenario ever).

More pros vs cons to add?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Haxorleet; 02-25-14 at 11:11 AM.
    02-25-14 10:00 AM
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Personally, I'm reserving judgement until we have more information than what we have currently.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    02-25-14 02:13 PM
    We haven't heard anything definite, but I think the screen is staying square. At least the renders we've seen are keeping the previous Q's square ratio.

Meaning that there still is no landscape for this phone. It wouldn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 03:49 PM
    The BlackBerry Bold finally gets BB10 operating system. It's interesting.

? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    02-25-14 03:53 PM
    The BlackBerry Bold finally gets BB10 operating system.
    That's the way I see it.
    And BBRY should have inplanted the Bold on the BB10 platform in the first place, and taken it from there, then the life would have been much easier.
    acovey likes this.
    02-27-14 10:31 PM
    That's the way I see it.
    And BBRY should have inplanted the Bold on the BB10 platform in the first place, and taken it from there, then the life would have been much easier.
    John Chen did basically agree with that, saying BlackBerry misread the market when they made their first BB10 phones.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    02-27-14 10:34 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Personally, I'm reserving judgement until we have more information than what we have currently.
    My thoughts are on the same line.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 10:38 PM
    My thoughts are on the same line.

Posted via CB10
    Good judgement.
    02-27-14 10:53 PM
    The Pearl 3G has an elongated screen and videos automatically play in landscape mode, Blackberry is not new to this concept, they already invented it

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-28-14 04:10 AM