09-20-15 11:23 AM
37 12
tools
    To OP, after reading your post I'm not sure you understand what "redundant" and hipster means.
    The keyboard redundant?
    The Classic a hipster phone.
    LOL

Posted via CB10
    blambtn likes this.
    09-15-15 06:47 AM
    Definitely not a hipster phone.

I'm a Project Manager at an international Fortune-100 company. I use the Classic because of its reliability and umatched productivity. This is a phone for the task and business-oriented.

Posted via CB10
    blambtn likes this.
    09-15-15 06:20 PM
    Well, like I said, I am not a hipster and this is not a hipster phone. Old people have iphones and ipads because it is the trend and the "in thing" to have one. Yes, even old people follow trends. Your statement about the Classic being a hipster phone is laughable.

Posted via Classic - 10.3.2.2639 
    09-15-15 06:54 PM
    Your really getting into this aren't you? Lol

Great!!

Have you tried trimming the OS by removing the iMF and nuance files?

If you need a link let me know.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    I have not done that.

09-15-15 06:56 PM
    I have not done that.

Here is the Link
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-ti...d-flab-977846/

You would be basically getting rid of the foreign language files.
    09-16-15 07:30 AM
    Again, in my own defense (and for the sake of clarity) I feel in should make the following comments:

1. I called the Classic, the hipster smartphone. This is not to say that it is the phone for hipsters, or that all users of the Classic are hipsters, but that the phone is on the margins when it comes to smartphones due to it's hybrid nature and is out of sync with the current wave of glass slab iPhone clones. Another less pejorative description (and less interesting) would be, "unique".

2. I received a number of negative responses about my use of the word "redundant". Let me just point out that Blackberry and most smartphone makers make a lot of phones without physical keyboards. They do this because technology allows for it, it works (relatively) well and the majority of buyers like them this way. This makes the Classic is a "boutique" smartphone, with physical features that a limited amount of people want. From this perspective, the keyboard, trackpad and toolbelt are "redundant" in comparison to current trends. However, because I know the utility of these physical features, I have been putting the word "redundant" in quotations.

3. There have been threads on Crackberry about reactions to the Classic, from non-Blackberry users. This really tells the story about what kind of people gravitate to the Classic (or run in the opposite direction).

4. This final point is controversial. Being a hipster is not all that bad. See article here: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...se-of-hipsters

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 07:48 AM
    Beards, sweater vests, skinny jeans and ugly bowling shoes, they all look alike and act alike. They are conformists like everyone who follows a trend is.
    This made me laugh, probably because I'm getting old. I used to wear sweater vests all the time in high school and then when I first cracked into the workforce after college. This was 25 years ago and I feel comfortable saying it was somewhat less than trendy at the time.

I still have a supply on a shelf in my closet. I just didn't realize it was now in fashion.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 08:36 AM
    That's because one of their hipster kids or grandkids recommended it!
    And they find it really simple to use.

Posted via Classic
    09-16-15 09:42 PM
    And they find it really simple to use.
    I've had the opportunity to help quite a few 'older folks' -- people like seniors, people's parents and aunts/uncles including my own, on how to use their ipads to do basic things. I can tell you based on my own experiences, that there is nothing magical about the ipad, as all of the folks I helped were at a loss on how to do the most basic things. They had to be taught, just like any other platform. Most non-techie or older generation people aren't going to be able to swiftly navigate around things like how to set up their Apple ID, email, set up passwords, or change email account settings any more easily than Windows or Android or Mac. It's all hype and BS, if you really believe the myth that old people are just so much more adept with iOS. I've had to help set up Skype, and show them how to use it. No, it's not that intuitive to answer an incoming Skype video/IM call on iOS. They know how to tap an icon on the screen, like Candy Crush, and play the game. Yeah, anyone can do that on Android and BlackBerry too.

In any case, I speak from first hand experience. What you said about 'they find it really simple to use' is the common belief but I haven't come across a situation where that is unique to just 'iOS' or ipads. They just use these ipads/iphones because their kids or grandkids got them on it, and showed them how to do a few things.

I'm not saying all seniors are unable to figure it all out themselves, but in my own case I have never encountered any situation where I saw a senior picking this thing up and figuring it all out on their own. If you're talking about them being able to use it after being shown a few things like how to launch a game or email, then again, you can do that on Android tablets as well and they are just as easy in that regard.
    09-18-15 11:14 AM
    I didn't want to quote your entire post Terminatorx, but I will agree with you. My in-laws first phone after their Curves was an iPhone 5. It took them weeks/months to figure out how to properly work their phone. They still sometimes ask questions about the most basic things becuase it's not what they are used too. They are on 6's now and I had to help them set them up as well.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-18-15 08:52 PM
    Thanks. I'm not a young guy myself, and the folks I was referring to having helped were all in the 60+ range. But exactly the same issue where they still ask questions and need ongoing help for 'new' or different activities on the devices.
    09-18-15 10:38 PM
    Touch ANYthing is a disaster for my elderly folks. They, and quite a few of their friends in their community, are simply too "shaky" for reliably effective touch use. Steadying their thumb on surrounding keys helps them effectively utilize trackpad. NOthing to rest against on touch devices. Another frequent complaint is accidentally touching unwanted commands with their "shaky" fingers. We've donated quite a few of our old 9650s and 9900s (with a screen lock app) to the cause and some of these folks really love those devices. Their iOS stuff mostly stays dormant, these days.
    09-20-15 11:23 AM
37 12