The Classic is not for everyone. A lot of people just don't get it. Why?

Unlike other smartphones, the Classic has "redundant" features including the toolbelt, trackpad and keyboard. These physical features manifest idiosyncrasies which sets the Classic apart. It can also leave outsiders mystified. If you are a heavy user of a Classic, you will know what I mean, especially when it comes to keyboard shortcuts and the trackpad.

When you hand your Classic to someone who has only used an iPhone (or a generic clone) you can see that there is gap between user interfaces. The Classic is a hybrid: at times a smartphone, while at other times a pocket laptop computer. Because it is two things, or more, there is a level of dissonance or inconsistency at its core.

If you are thinking about getting a Classic, it might be wise to do a personality test first, which I would summarize as follows. Do you agree or disagree with the following quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson?

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

If you find that you wholeheartedly agree with Emerson, the Classic is for you.

Blackberry Classic: The hipster smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    geonix and anon(1723145) like this.
    09-07-15 06:07 PM
    Well I'm insulted. I'm no hipster.
    Toolbelt is redundant? If by redundant you mean an awesome addition to bb10 and a time saving luxury that no other modern smart phone has then I agree, otherwise I wholeheartedly disagree.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    blambtn likes this.
    09-07-15 06:16 PM
    I am not a hipster either. I guess if I was, I would be using an iphone. Anyways, I like being productive. So that's why I use the Classic. I can flat out beat anyone using an iphone or android to compose a message, launch browser, look up contact or anything else. Even composing a message or an email without using the shortcut due to the options the OS gives after you hit the compose button. It remembers who you have emailed recently or who you emailed more and gives you options. That is a real time saver for me.

Posted via Classic - 10.3.2.2639 
    09-07-15 06:23 PM
    I am not a hipster either. I guess if I was, I would be using an iphone. Anyways, I like being productive. So that's why I use the Classic. I can flat out beat anyone using an iphone or android to compose a message, launch browser, look up contact or anything else. Even composing a message or an email without using the shortcut due to the options the OS gives after you hit the compose button. It remembers who you have emailed recently or who you emailed more and gives you options. That is a real time saver for me.

Your really getting into this aren't you? Lol

Great!!

Have you tried trimming the OS by removing the iMF and nuance files?

If you need a link let me know.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    blambtn likes this.
    09-07-15 09:00 PM
    At least we can see the screen ever notice some peoples iPhone screens all goo after banging on them all day .
    09-08-15 06:00 AM
    Also definitely NOT a hipster... I'm a purist... BlackBerry Classic pays homage to BlackBerry's roots like no other device currently manufactured by BlackBerry does. The 'redundant' features are simply preferred methods, the toolbelt an asset in many cases to many of us. Taste or choice in a mobile device depends solely on how the device is being used/what it's being used for. While the Classic doesn't 'make sense' to some, it certainly makes all the sense in the world to others. Some people enjoy gesture-based actions, while others enjoy a more hearty keyboard experience. Some people would rather type a few letters and flick words onto their screens while others enjoy typing out words letter by letter, dictating what lands on our screens verbatim vs letting your device complete your tasks. All comes down to preference.

But only "hipsters" use the Classic? Nonsense. Hipsters use iPhones not BlackBerrys... Check out a Burning Man festival and you'll discover this fact instantly.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve and blambtn like this.
    09-08-15 06:23 AM
    Some would allege personality ISSUES, but that's not due to the phone I use!

Had to recently set up some stuff on the wife's new iPhone 5c. After 30 seconds on that narrow, stupid virtual keyboard I nearly had to get the phone and nearby drywall (sheetrock, whatever you call it) replaced!
    blambtn likes this.
    09-09-15 04:40 PM
    As a friend of mine (BlackBerry user) has recently stated very precisely, a Classic is just "reduced to the max".

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 05:58 PM
    Also definitely NOT a hipster... I'm a purist... BlackBerry Classic pays homage to BlackBerry's roots like no other device currently manufactured by BlackBerry does. The 'redundant' features are simply preferred methods, the toolbelt an asset in many cases to many of us. Taste or choice in a mobile device depends solely on how the device is being used/what it's being used for. While the Classic doesn't 'make sense' to some, it certainly makes all the sense in the world to others. Some people enjoy gesture-based actions, while others enjoy a more hearty keyboard experience. Some people would rather type a few letters and flick words onto their screens while others enjoy typing out words letter by letter, dictating what lands on our screens verbatim vs letting your device complete your tasks. All comes down to preference.

But only "hipsters" use the Classic? Nonsense. Hipsters use iPhones not BlackBerrys... Check out a Burning Man festival and you'll discover this fact instantly.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome post. Great conclusion.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    09-09-15 06:13 PM
    In defense of my post and for the sake of clarity I feel compelled to make the following statements:

1. The BlackBerry Classic is wonderful.

2. Whether intentional, or unintentional Blackberry has created a hybrid device that is greater than the sum of its parts. The "redundant" features (note the use of quotations) found on the Classic are what makes the phone awesome, especially if your personality can handle idiosyncrasy.

3. When it comes to my hipster comment, I stand by it. A true hipster follows the latest trends (smartphone ownership) but tends to do so in a way that is individual, on the edge and outside of the mainstream. I would say the iPhone is mainstream, while the BlackBerry Classic falls outside of the mainstream. At some level if you feel that the Classic unlocks your creativity, increases your productivity and meshes with your mentality it might be because you are actually an authentic hipster and not an imitator, or follower.

4. When it comes to Emerson's famous quote, the "hobgoblin" is not in my mind (or yours, if you are a happy Classic owner), but in the minds of those who want consistency for the sake of consistency. If you can't see the purpose of a physical keyboard, keyboard shortcuts, the trackpad or toolbelt, you fail the personality test.

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident and vanrickman like this.
    09-12-15 04:22 PM
    Do you actually know any hipsters? They aren't using BlackBerries. BlackBerries do not have Snapchat. Hipsters become part of the hive-mind while pretending to be individuals and eccentrics. Trendies don't even pretend to be individuals. BlackBerry users make up their own minds about what their needs and desires are, instead of just joining the bandwagon and doing the same stuff as everyone else. The real eccentrics use whatever they like or whatever they need to do what they already want to do.

They also research solutions to their wants and gripes, or else they wouldn't have a BlackBerry. Do you hate constant typos in text messages? Most people just passively accept that as part of their environment. BlackBerry users get a physical keyboard (unless they are already great on a Z). Sideloading actually scares the average phone user.

BlackBerry users want their phone to do what they want it to do, not be managed by it. The lack of a File Manager on an iPhone is practically an insult to the end user. It feels to me like the 'child mode' available on other phones is permanently on. BlackBerries are built to maximize efficiency in use. They minimize the amount of time you spend on your phone, not maximize it like the others. Letting all native apps run their processes 100% while minimized demonstrates that. The other platforms don't even want you to close the apps you are done with--BlackBerries encourage it. Other OS spread your attention out across a dozen or more apps, while BB10 unifies and streamlines processes around what YOU are doing.

BlackBerry likes to enlarge your options as much as possible. 3 different ways to do something means that you can pick and choose which one you want. Options are good. BlackBerry users prefer options, control, and efficiency--not flash, gimmicks, and groupthink. And BlackBerry Classic users are probably the most non-trendy smartphone customers in the market.

Most hipsters are just copying the nerd-chic beta-male aesthetic that Big Bang Theory and alternative comedy circuits were doing a decade ago, then they grow a beard and wear plaid or cowboy boots to convince you that they aren't, then they listen to bluegrass (because too many of them got into obscure indie bands) to convince themselves that they aren't just another trendie. Does that sound like the average BlackBerry user?

From a Classic
    Last edited by Xenolock; 09-12-15 at 06:53 PM.
    BerryRipe, blambtn and kgbbz10 like this.
    09-12-15 06:30 PM
    As a friend of mine (BlackBerry user) has recently stated very precisely, a Classic is just "reduced to the max".

Posted via CB10
    Very cool. Love it.

Posted via Classic
    09-12-15 06:33 PM
    I am not a hipster either. I guess if I was, I would be using an iphone.

A lot of seniors have IPHONES and iPads.

Posted via Classic
    09-12-15 06:34 PM

Posted via Classic
    A lot of kids will have them too. iOS is easier to teach to someone than BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    blambtn likes this.
    09-13-15 02:16 PM
    A lot of kids will have them too. iOS is easier to teach to someone than BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Both my kids are fine with OS10. Kids nowadays are pretty tech savvy. My son has the Z10 and daughter has the LG G3. Neither one like iPhones.

Posted via Classic
    09-14-15 03:20 PM
    I have a Q10 and a PP and I feel hippy, cause I have things other's don't have

Hm... so could it be really hip to not follow the crowd...?

There is no black or white only!
    Things are more black or less and white of course, cause every drop of goodness will destroy or take away something somewhere - ying yang

... just be true and first to yourself
    ...namaste!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:17 PM
    I figured you where gonna make everyone who has a Classic take the Mysers Biggs personality test. I'm an ENTJ so I only care about productivity and funtion, my phone could be lime green or pink, I don't care as long as it's productive.
    09-14-15 04:37 PM
    I figured you where gonna make everyone who has a Classic take the Mysers Biggs personality test. I'm an ENTJ so I only care about productivity and funtion, my phone could be lime green or pink, I don't care as long as it's productive.
    Haha! INTJ here... Also care about productivity and functionality first and foremost! Must be the N , T and J parts...

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:48 PM
    I work with hipsters all day. Not a single one has a BlackBerry they are all iSheep. Hipsters do things nobody does, which is exactly what every other hipster does. Beards, sweater vests, skinny jeans and ugly bowling shoes, they all look alike and act alike. They are conformists like everyone who follows a trend is.
    Having a BlackBerry is looked down on by these bearded iSheep, so I know first hand BlackBerry Classic is not a hipster phone.

09-14-15 09:06 PM
    I'm an ESTJ. I like my black Classic.
    09-14-15 09:16 PM
    I am not a hipster! All the hipsters in Dallas have iphones! I'm actually pretty conservative

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 10:27 PM

Posted via Classic
    That's because one of their hipster kids or grandkids recommended it!
    blambtn likes this.
    09-14-15 11:04 PM
    I work with hipsters all day. Not a single one has a BlackBerry they are all iSheep. Hipsters do things nobody does, which is exactly what every other hipster does. Beards, sweater vests, skinny jeans and ugly bowling shoes, they all look alike and act alike. They are conformists like everyone who follows a trend is.
    Having a BlackBerry is looked down on by these bearded iSheep, so I know first hand BlackBerry Classic is not a hipster phone.

Bearded isheep with Bowling ball shoes lol, now that's a Classic!
    09-14-15 11:09 PM
    Have you tried trimming the OS by removing the iMF and nuance files?
    Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean? and by doing it will it improve my phones speed? Thanks in advance
    09-15-15 02:18 AM
    Not a f*cking hipster as well. I am just a stylish man. You are welcome.

Posted via CB10
    blambtn likes this.
    09-15-15 06:38 AM
37 12