I'm good with the Classic, I just wish it had the ergonomic keyboard and BB would have given users an option of paying a small monthly charge to continue to utilize BIS.
    03-06-15 06:18 PM
    The problem, i see using this device daily as pointed out by other posters is the lack of speed and efficiency of the 9900. The hub refresh rate when a new message arrives is at least a second or two and for someone who gets lots of emails daily this type of frustration builds up and I can see why anyone would go back to a faster but not as flashy device. It's not for everyone but with improvements to come hopefully it can get more efficient. I still use the 9900 for Corporate use again due to security reasons.
    You're in the same position as a lot of folks I noticed where I live who's work IT departments have not yet 'bought into' BlackBerry 10. Hopefully we'll see some more upgrade cycles going forward.

I don't mean to sound negative about BlackBerry 7, I just believed the transition from legacy to BlackBerry 10 would have been much faster and better planned. In time, Chen is on the right track now, better late than never.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 10:40 PM
    I personally find BlackBerry 10 to be far from complicated. It is the most simple, no BS OS I've ever used. I've used a lot of legacy BlackBerry devices, yet I found it incredibly easy to adapt to the Z10 when BlackBerry 10 launched. I loved the transition and could never go back. I guess that's where I'm coming from when I find it hard to believe people still prefer a BlackBerry 7 device. To each there own, mine is BlackBerry 10.

It really doesn't matter what people use, I'm just really happy with BlackBerry 10 and can't say it enough.

Posted via CB10
    joan006 likes this.
    03-06-15 10:55 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I've always loved BlackBerry. I really enjoyed BlackBerry 7 when I used it, but there is absolutely no way I could go back to it and be comfortable. I guess I just fully bought into BlackBerry 10 (clearly).

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 10:57 PM
    Says who?
    Read my previous response in my earlier post addressing this issue. I know first hand!
    03-07-15 02:42 AM
    Read my previous response in my earlier post addressing this issue. I know first hand!
    Dude, I know TONS of people who use BlackBerry 10 devices who work for highly regulated financial institutions, the military and others. Weird perk of my recent jobs.

They don't seem particularly concerned about its "lack of security".
    03-07-15 08:12 AM
    Can't argue with you on those points. We can only hope they don't lose sight of the 9900 in the next design but with the classic coming out with OS10 trim and flavor i don't think we will see another OS7 device sadly.
    I think the 9900 was the last of the true communication devices that BB made. I don't believe the market is there anymore for "just" a device for emails etc. The world now seems to want a do everything device, although none of them do everything or anything well. You see this everyday now with the BYOD crowd with their iPhone and Androids which are mediocre communication devices at best. Given what the market demands now a days, I believe BB has done pretty well with the Classic, but again it is not a true BB as we used to know them.
    mfurman likes this.
    03-07-15 09:30 AM
    LOL +1

who cares?? the 9900 is a 3 year old device! noone cares about it or how it compares to anything.

Plus, this kind of title was somehow important when the Q10 just arrived not 2 years after BB OS 10 devices are out.

Just enjoy whatever the heck of a device you like
    Please do not generalize. I do care about Bold 9900 because I am still using it, together with my iPhone6. There is some functionality (as original poster said) of this device that cannot be replicated by any smartphone.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-07-15 10:06 AM
    I personally find BlackBerry 10 to be far from complicated. It is the most simple, no BS OS I've ever used. I've used a lot of legacy BlackBerry devices, yet I found it incredibly easy to adapt to the Z10 when BlackBerry 10 launched. I loved the transition and could never go back. I guess that's where I'm coming from when I find it hard to believe people still prefer a BlackBerry 7 device. To each there own, mine is BlackBerry 10.

It really doesn't matter what people use, I'm just really happy with BlackBerry 10 and can't say it enough.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 10 isn't complicated, just that compared to BlackBerry 7, accomplishing many tasks is much more convoluted. Chalk that up to the trackpad/menu / button system in BB7 being a really smart thumb navigation system.

That and editing text without the trackpad are what made me feel BlackBerry 10 was a downgrade in productivity. I still feel that way, but I am used to it now.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 10:22 AM
    I think this is a VERY important thread - perhaps the MOST important thread that I have read here in a while when it comes to BB's future as a hardware designer/manufacturer. The way I see it, if the Classic doesn't appeal to enough 9900 users then BB won't be making hardware for much longer. If anyone here thinks BB is selling enough all-touchscreen phones to consumers (ie. non-business users) then they are simply wrong when you look at their current market share. I, for one, want to see BB continue on as a hardware manufacturer, as I just bought the Classic because it's the ONLY keyboard phone out there that has physical buttons. And I don't want to lose that hardware option in the future, as I REALLY don't want a touchscreen keyboard!

For those 9900 users who can't deal with the inefficiencies of the Classic (and there really are many), the only solution I can think of after several days of Classic use is to setup as many options/shortcuts as you can to make the phone as productive as possible. I'm actually in the midst of reading the 200 page manual and it has already increased my efficiency via minor options/tweaks that I didn't realize was available. If there's one thing about BB10 that is impressive it's the customization. It takes a LOT of work to customize everything but it's definitely increasing my efficiency daily.

I can ABSOLUTELY see how a 9900 user would try the Classic and give up after a few days. BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THE 9900 USERS GOING BACK TO THE CLASSIC: You will all be more efficient in the short-term but you'll lose the only physical keyboard hardware manufacturer in the long-term and we'll all be SCREWED (I am serious)!!

So for those 9900 users who try the classic and go back to their 9900s - please think about this carefully before you run back to your 9900s! The fate of BB's next phones rests in your hands!

This is an important enough topic that I'm going to start a new thread on it right now...
    mfurman likes this.
    03-07-15 12:38 PM
    [QUOTE=jeremyr4;11441651The way I see it, if the Classic doesn't appeal to enough 9900 users then BB won't be making hardware for much longer. If anyone here thinks BB is selling enough all-touchscreen phones to consumers (ie. non-business users) then they are simply wrong when you look at their current market share. I, for one, want to see BB continue on as a hardware manufacturer, as I just bought the Classic because it's the ONLY keyboard phone out there that has physical buttons. And I don't want to lose that hardware option in the future, as I REALLY don't want a touchscreen keyboard![/QUOTE]

The fun thing is that I don't think a lot of us disagree on any given point and, to be frank, if a software update came out that truly completed the transition from BBOS7 to BB10, I'd be all over of that like flies on cow dung.

That said, I think it's interesting that BlackBerry is sinking so much into device manufacturing with all these redundant mid and low end devices. Imagine if they did a massive consumer advertisement campaign.

When I say that, I don't mean . THIS gives me feels, and if I'm a consumer who has no idea what the product is, I at least remember the name and the impression it made on me. I didn't even see the product in the commercial, yet that somehow doesn't even matter.

Doesn't take much to effectively advertise, and it's something that I personally feel one run of from BlackBerry would change EVERYTHING. As long as they don't flub it up like that stupid Classic commercial.
    03-07-15 01:15 PM
    I think this is a VERY important thread - perhaps the MOST important thread that I have read here in a while when it comes to BB's future as a hardware designer/manufacturer. The way I see it, if the Classic doesn't appeal to enough 9900 users then BB won't be making hardware for much longer. If anyone here thinks BB is selling enough all-touchscreen phones to consumers (ie. non-business users) then they are simply wrong when you look at their current market share. I, for one, want to see BB continue on as a hardware manufacturer, as I just bought the Classic because it's the ONLY keyboard phone out there that has physical buttons. And I don't want to lose that hardware option in the future, as I REALLY don't want a touchscreen keyboard!

For those 9900 users who can't deal with the inefficiencies of the Classic (and there really are many), the only solution I can think of after several days of Classic use is to setup as many options/shortcuts as you can to make the phone as productive as possible. I'm actually in the midst of reading the 200 page manual and it has already increased my efficiency via minor options/tweaks that I didn't realize was available. If there's one thing about BB10 that is impressive it's the customization. It takes a LOT of work to customize everything but it's definitely increasing my efficiency daily.

I can ABSOLUTELY see how a 9900 user would try the Classic and give up after a few days. BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THE 9900 USERS GOING BACK TO THE CLASSIC: You will all be more efficient in the short-term but you'll lose the only physical keyboard hardware manufacturer in the long-term and we'll all be SCREWED (I am serious)!!

So for those 9900 users who try the classic and go back to their 9900s - please think about this carefully before you run back to your 9900s! The fate of BB's next phones rests in your hands!

This is an important enough topic that I'm going to start a new thread on it right now...
    I agree with your statement, the importance of BB core enterprise customers need to be met if BB has any chance at long term growth. The 9900 was at one time the flagship device but with OS10 BB has taken a whole new direction. While it is far more customizable at the same time it introduces security issues. Each org will have to decide who much risk they are willing to take in the tradeoff for these new features. I know for a fact new 9900's are still being made and offered.

Like yourself i read the entire manual and watched the official BB videos. Aside from learning the new tips and features I really have to try hard to overlook the lack of efficiency which is a deal breaker for many.

The fun thing is that I don't think a lot of us disagree on any given point and, to be frank, if a software update came out that truly completed the transition from BBOS7 to BB10, I'd be all over of that like flies on cow dung.

That said, I think it's interesting that BlackBerry is sinking so much into device manufacturing with all these redundant mid and low end devices. Imagine if they did a massive consumer advertisement campaign.

When I say that, I don't mean . THIS gives me feels, and if I'm a consumer who has no idea what the product is, I at least remember the name and the impression it made on me. I didn't even see the product in the commercial, yet that somehow doesn't even matter.

Doesn't take much to effectively advertise, and it's something that I personally feel one run of from BlackBerry would change EVERYTHING. As long as they don't flub it up like that stupid Classic commercial.
    I hope like you said the make changes via software to address the major issues. I don't see them going back to OS7 ever but if they improve the software that will be ideal for a start.
    mfurman likes this.
    03-07-15 01:35 PM
    BlackBerry 10 isn't complicated, just that compared to BlackBerry 7, accomplishing many tasks is much more convoluted. Chalk that up to the trackpad/menu / button system in BB7 being a really smart thumb navigation system.

That and editing text without the trackpad are what made me feel BlackBerry 10 was a downgrade in productivity. I still feel that way, but I am used to it now.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more, the core of BB and the interactive experience is not hard to figure out. Everything else you mentioned and the list posted by VeryBumpy sums up the issues

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-curve-984527/
    03-07-15 01:39 PM
    I think that business people could not believe that the simple e-mail functionality can be more complicated than it is, when using Bold 9900. I have iPhone6 but I am still responding to my e-mails on the Bold. I am also using MemoPad that I can edit much more easily and quickly (and search through) than Notes.
    Everything on OS10 is less efficient when it is compared to the core functions of BB on the 9900. No question about that.
    mfurman likes this.
    03-07-15 01:41 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    As a former day one purchaser of the bold 9900 I agree it was the best email, communication device ever..

However, me, like many others wanted much more from a smartphone....hence... Passport, Classic..os 10...a much more complete experience we demand of our phones... while still maintaining good communications...

Ceo Chen is doing an amazing job considering all factors...

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 01:49 PM
    I hope like you said the make changes via software to address the major issues. I don't see them going back to OS7 ever but if they improve the software that will be ideal for a start.
    Oh absolutely, and I wouldn't WANT them to go back to OS7. Not at all. BB10 is absolutely the next evolutionary step for BlackBerry and I would never concede otherwise. That being said, as we both agree, they really do need to work on two things specifically: ditching new "Jesus features" and focusing on the core user experience, bringing it on par with what the end user expects of BlackBerry devices (i.e, snappier, secure, and communications driven -- no having those three things be an afterthought like they appear, at least to me, to be now), and marketing marketing marketing, and I don't mean just to the prosumer. Make BlackBerry relevant again. If that means they don't release new hardware for a year, FINE! We have enough mid- and low-range phones for a while anyway.

As a point of interest, and not as a comment for or against any particular comment already said, I'm proud to say that the State of Arizona has been issuing BlackBerry Z30 and Q10 devices to communications-critical state personnel for a little over 6 months now and, from what I heard from some IT friends of mine at work, will be onboarding the Classic to replace in-use 99x0 devices over the next year. All the time at work people ask my how I got IT approval for my Z30 on my belt. It's just my personal device, as I'm not comm-critical at my job at the Department of Transportation :P
    03-07-15 02:04 PM
    I totally do not want anything about BlackBerry 10 to be like BlackBerry 7 in terms of software. They're different and one is better. That 'one' is BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry 7 was good. In my opinion, it's completely past tense and I am glad BlackBerry 10 is what it is. The best parts of legacy devices were exactly what the Classic carries forward, the hardware controls. How come I haven't lost any 'productivity' using BlackBerry 10 compared to BlackBerry 7? What makes me so special that I could fully adapt and forget about the legacy OS? I don't know, maybe because BlackBerry 10 is an upgrade and the best OS ever built. It is so much easier to use than anything else, including BlackBerry legacy OS.

That's my opinion. Not trying to be overly negative, voicing my opinion, just like ya'll are.
    03-07-15 02:06 PM
    Closed for review.
    03-07-15 02:20 PM
    Thread cleaned up, ready to continue.

[WARN]
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don�t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you�re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won�t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry![/WARN]
    03-07-15 03:01 PM
    Sent PM
    03-07-15 03:05 PM
    Closed at OP's request.
    03-07-15 03:31 PM
46 12