I spent a good hour typing up this big long review, but it was going on for WAY too long and didn't want to bore everybody heh. Instead I'll list my positives and negatives of moving to a Classic after being on BBOS for the past 10+ years.

This is intended to help anyone who is still considering moving to the Classic. It is not intended to sway your decision either way, but just to give you more information.

Positives of Classic/BB10

+The phone is gorgeous with a bright and vivid screen.
    +The keys are responsive and clicky
    +The "grated" back on the phone is outstanding
    +The battery is pretty good. When I first got the phone I charged it up full and let it sit with all radios off untouched to see how long the battery lasted. It made it about 7 days. With light use you can expect to get roughly 2 days out of the battery. With some heavy usage the phone does get hot and you'll tear through some battery, but should still manage to make it through the day. Coming from a Bold 9930 that still had its original battery from 2011, it is a HUGE difference heh.
    +Better VPN options, instead of the hugely outdated options available in BBOS
    +Order customization. The settings and quick settings menus can be customized to whatever order you'd like, and you can turn off things from the quick settings menu you don't want to see.
    +The Maps is much better. Anyone who's ever had to suffer through using GPS on the Bold 9930 knows how painful that used to be.
    +The browser is better. Not as "amazing" as some tout it to be, but a good bit better than that horrid excuse for a browser on the 9930.

Negatives of Classic/BB10

-The LED is severely lacking in colors. On on the Bold 9930 using BeBuzz you could make any shade of any color you wanted, except black. On the Classic, you are restricted to Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, Magenta, and White, and only in the one shade.

-The LED flash duration is restricted to only a fast flash. On the Bold 9930 you could make it a smooth pulse, really quick flash, really long flash, etc. The LED flash is a little too quick IMO on the Classic, but you can make it repeat for as long as you'd like using BeBuzz.

-The HUB is garbage IMO. Why would I want all my different message types in one screen? I don't need to see a text from my wife saying I love you, next to an email from my boss ******** because I still didn't buy an iPhone or Android. On the plus side, you can heavily customize the HUB so that text messages ONLY show when you click the text messages icon, BBM only shows when clicking the BBM icon, emails when you click the messages icon, etc.

-Email Composing. The way you compose a new email in BB10 is terrible IMO. When you click to compose a new email it pops up with most used contacts, complete with their icons, all of which show in different sizes for some reason. Choosing which account to send the email from shows a long list of all account types (including non email accounts, again part of the garbage HUB system) instead of just a simple drop down like in BBOS

-No dynamic icons. This means gone are the days of having your weather app show the current weather on the icon. Now you have to actually open the app.

Neutral (Things that are basically the same)

Contact Management seems to be pretty much the same.

Calendar seems to be the same

Bedside Mode is the same, although I never used bedside mode on the 9930 since I had to charge it every single night and didn't need the battery saving features of bedside mode.

Apps Most people would put this as a positive to BB10, but I disagree. While there are some apps that weren't available in BBOS (AnyConnect, Duo Mobile, probably lots more) there are also some apps that are no longer there, such as Blackberry Traffic, Flixster, AIM, and lots more. Some other big important apps that were not available on BBOS are still missing on BB10 such as Netflix, Instagram, SnapChat, Spotify, etc. Granted I wouldn't be caught dead using any of those social media apps, but regardless, they aren't available. Some of the ones I mentioned may be available using the backdoor Android apps, but I've heard nothing but bad things about using those apps (battery drain, crashes, bugs) and refuse to put any on my phone, so can't speak to it.

I'll probably update this over the next few days, but hopefully this at least gives some more real info for those out there like me.
    08-10-15 01:07 PM
    Interesting to see the views of someone coming from BBOS....

- The browser is better. Not as "amazing"....
    - The HUB is garbage IMO.
    - No dynamic icons.
    - Apps Most people would put this as a positive to BB10, but I disagree.

very interesting...
    08-10-15 01:12 PM
    The support for dynamic icons is actually still there, just look at Calendar app: It always shows the actual date, which is a convenient thing. My Galaxy Note Edge can't do that
    I just won't post my views on your Hub comment, it was one of the things I missed most after trying out different handsets.

Posted via CB10
    CobaltClassic007 likes this.
    08-10-15 01:30 PM
    Interesting to see the views of someone coming from BBOS....

- The browser is better. Not as "amazing"....
    - The HUB is garbage IMO.
    - No dynamic icons.
    - Apps Most people would put this as a positive to BB10, but I disagree.

very interesting...
    Not sure if you being serious or a smart alec , but yea.

The browser doesn't crash on every other page like the Bold 9930 one did, but even being now on 4G LTE, where as the Bold was only 3G, I find web pages don't load all that much faster. I guess they fit the screen a bit nicer, but, as much as I hate to say it, the limited time I've had with Chrome on IOS and Android is still light years beyond BB10.

The HUB is my biggest gripe yeah. Some people love it. I for one love the simplicity of BBOS' message management. Simple, fast, separate, and slick. If I open up emails, then click compose, why would I want to "send message as BBM". I woulda opened BBM for that. I get the idea of trying to make things "easier" by combining it all, but it just turns into a garbled mess IMO.

No dynamic icons, not much to say there. It was convenient to just have the weather app pinned somewhere as an icon that showed me the current weather.

Apps, again, supposedly BB10 is better with apps, but for me, of the 7 or 8 apps I used on the Bold 9930, only 2 of them are available in BB10.
    08-10-15 01:33 PM
    I can definitely relate to your views on the LED and some apps not being available from BBos but you'll soon not even notice although you may have to purchase a new app to replace what you're missing.

Welcome to BlackBerry10!

Oh by the way how in the name of Chen did you manage to leave the Classic sitting around for seven days without wanting to use it?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 01:34 PM
    The support for dynamic icons is actually still there, just look at Calendar app: It always shows the actual date, which is a convenient thing. My Galaxy Note Edge can't do that
    I just won't post my views on your Hub comment, it was one of the things I missed most after trying out different handsets.

Posted via CB10
    Ah yes good point on the calendar app. I guess the weather app makers just haven't figured out how to do it yet in BB10?

Heh feel free to post them. I know some people love the Hub. I've customized mine as much as I can to be like BBOS, but I still mostly hate it.
    08-10-15 01:35 PM
    I can definitely relate to your views on the LED and some apps not being available from BBos but you'll soon not even notice although you may have to purchase a new app to replace what you're missing.

Welcome to BlackBerry10!

Oh by the way how in the name of Chen did you manage to leave the Classic sitting around for seven days without wanting to use it?

Posted via CB10
    Hah, I had to switch from Verizon to AT&T since the blue classic is GSM only. Had to wait for the Verizon month to run out so I had a good 12 days or so where I kept using the Bold.
    08-10-15 01:39 PM
    Not sure if you being serious or a smart alec , but yea.

The browser doesn't crash on every other page like the Bold 9930 one did, but even being now on 4G LTE, where as the Bold was only 3G, I find web pages don't load all that much faster. I guess they fit the screen a bit nicer, but, as much as I hate to say it, the limited time I've had with Chrome on IOS and Android is still light years beyond BB10.

The HUB is my biggest gripe yeah. Some people love it. I for one love the simplicity of BBOS' message management. Simple, fast, separate, and slick. If I open up emails, then click compose, why would I want to "send message as BBM". I woulda opened BBM for that. I get the idea of trying to make things "easier" by combining it all, but it just turns into a garbled mess IMO.

No dynamic icons, not much to say there. It was convenient to just have the weather app pinned somewhere as an icon that showed me the current weather.

Apps, again, supposedly BB10 is better with apps, but for me, of the 7 or 8 apps I used on the Bold 9930, only 2 of them are available in BB10.
    Smart Alec is what I do....

Your views are just in some ways different from some others... for me the Browser experience was HUGE. But it might have been the combination of going from a 3G BBOS device to a 4G BB10 device. HUB... is one of the most applauding features of BB10, but I agree it can be a little messy. Your view of Apps was one of the biggest surprises... as most people don't view the BB10 experience as a positive when compared to the rest of the market. I do see how when compared to just BBOS is might be a "neutral".

Not saying you are right or you are wrong. It is very "different" from how some have seen the upgrade experience from BBOS to BB10. Which might help to explain why so few do it...
    08-10-15 01:43 PM
    I'm having issues figuring how you're composing an email or a text? I find opening the HUB using gestures (not the icon, I deleted it) and then tapping the blue compose icon takes me to this screen.
    One Month with Blue Classic Review-img_20150810_134210.pngI have tweaked my settings because I didn't like how it suggested latest contacts. I'm not sure where that setting is but I will look for it and comment.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 01:44 PM
    Smart Alec is what I do....

Your views are just in some ways different from some others... for me the Browser experience was HUGE. But it might have been the combination of going from a 3G BBOS device to a 4G BB10 device. HUB... is one of the most applauding features of BB10, but I agree it can be a little messy. Your view of Apps was one of the biggest surprises... as most people don't view the BB10 experience as a positive when compared to the rest of the market. I do see how when compared to just BBOS is might be a "neutral".

Not saying you are right or you are wrong. It is very "different" from how some have seen the upgrade experience from BBOS to BB10. Which might help to explain why so few do it...
    Yep you are right, my views are very different. I think the vast majority would agree with you, especially since most people who stick with blackberry are heavy power users.

I'm one of those few weirdos who stuck with his Bold for so long because of the simplicity, and in a way, lack of features (and the keyboard/trackpad/toolbelt of course)

Because of this, pretty much every review I read of BB10 didn't help much. I figure for the off chance there are some others out there like me, my review could help.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-10-15 01:48 PM
    I'm having issues figuring how you're composing an email or a text? I find opening the HUB using gestures (not the icon, I deleted it) and then tapping the blue compose icon takes me to this screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150810_134210.png 
Views:	2048 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	366252I have tweaked my settings because I didn't like how it suggested latest contacts. I'm not sure where that setting is but I will look for it and comment.

Posted via CB10
    For texts it works good now, because I have text messages set to be only in the dedicated icon. It's emails that bother me. I probably didn't explain it well, but I want the "messages" icon, which is basically the HUB i guess, to be dedicated to emails only, since BB10 does away with the "messages" icon from before that opened only emails. No texts, no BBM, no phone calls, no alerts, just emails in there.

That works for viewing emails, since I can turn everything off but email accounts from showing in the hub, but when I click compose, I still see text messages, BBM, etc. as an option. It's also littered with recent contacts that I can only seem to make go away by clearing recent contacts in the options menu. I looked and couldn't find where to disable recent contacts entirely, but if you can find it, that'd be awesome.
    08-10-15 01:55 PM
    I'll be honest I may have only cleared recent contacts but I just composed & sent a text to see if that person would be suggested when composing a separate text, but so far I'm still just getting the same screen that I shared. I will continue looking for a permanent setting.

I do understand how you like your phone simple as possibly, I'm very much the same. Matter of fact I just learned something new, no more having to scroll down in the black screen of the HUB. Pin Messages and emergency messages show up in HUB only along with email.
    One Month with Blue Classic Review-img_20150810_143012.png
    I hope this helps simplify things some. I really do understand where your coming from, I was bewildered when I switched from my 9930 to the Q10. No trackpad still throws me for a loop when editing!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 02:44 PM
    You lost me when you referenced the lack of apps you don't even utilize so why even mention it.......

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    08-10-15 02:58 PM
    You lost me when you referenced the lack of apps you don't even utilize so why even mention it.......

You must get lost often...focus on the stuff that makes more sense to you...this World is made up of stuff that doesn't always relate to all individuals. Have you never had an app installed that you rarely use?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 03:15 PM
    You must get lost often...focus on the stuff that makes more sense to you...this World is made up of stuff that doesn't always relate to all individuals. Have you never had an app installed that you rarely use?

Posted via CB10
    Yea when people like you run GPS..... I cringe, I follow the tune of the wind.... I don't wanna correct a fool, I only disdain angst my left elbow......GuD bah sister

08-11-15 03:49 AM
    I'll be honest I may have only cleared recent contacts but I just composed & sent a text to see if that person would be suggested when composing a separate text, but so far I'm still just getting the same screen that I shared. I will continue looking for a permanent setting.

I do understand how you like your phone simple as possibly, I'm very much the same. Matter of fact I just learned something new, no more having to scroll down in the black screen of the HUB. Pin Messages and emergency messages show up in HUB only along with email.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150810_143012.png 
Views:	1146 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	366260
    I hope this helps simplify things some. I really do understand where your coming from, I was bewildered when I switched from my 9930 to the Q10. No trackpad still throws me for a loop when editing!

Posted via CB10
    Yep just tried that too with a text message and it didn't add the contact the next time I went to send one. It seems like only emails do it. I did just find that if I go to the specific mailbox first from the hub, then clicking compose, it gives me a screen more like BBOS. If I then scroll up, I even have the drop down to change the From account.

Still has the suggested contacts though, but it looks a little different (doesn't have the big different shaped contact icons).

Just something to get used to.
    08-11-15 12:16 PM
    @OP: Don't really understand some of your issues. For example dynamic icons. Just open the app, minimize it and voila it appears on the first page - clock, calendar (with your day appointments, weather (with the temperature), Remember (with some tasks), Maps, Phone...you get the idea? You can have up to 8 open I believe and a lot easier to read than little icons.
    Web page shortcut if you need it
    As for colors - get BeBuzz

Lot's of other BB10 improvements
    08-11-15 12:20 PM
    I spent a good hour typing up this big long review, but it was going on for WAY too long and didn't want to bore everybody heh. Instead I'll list my positives and negatives of moving to a Classic after being on BBOS for the past 10+ years.

This is intended to help anyone who is still considering moving to the Classic. It is not intended to sway your decision either way, but just to give you more information.

Positives of Classic/BB10

+The phone is gorgeous with a bright and vivid screen.
    +The keys are responsive and clicky
    +The "grated" back on the phone is outstanding
    +The battery is pretty good. When I first got the phone I charged it up full and let it sit with all radios off untouched to see how long the battery lasted. It made it about 7 days. With light use you can expect to get roughly 2 days out of the battery. With some heavy usage the phone does get hot and you'll tear through some battery, but should still manage to make it through the day. Coming from a Bold 9930 that still had its original battery from 2011, it is a HUGE difference heh.
    +Better VPN options, instead of the hugely outdated options available in BBOS
    +Order customization. The settings and quick settings menus can be customized to whatever order you'd like, and you can turn off things from the quick settings menu you don't want to see.
    +The Maps is much better. Anyone who's ever had to suffer through using GPS on the Bold 9930 knows how painful that used to be.
    +The browser is better. Not as "amazing" as some tout it to be, but a good bit better than that horrid excuse for a browser on the 9930.

Negatives of Classic/BB10

-The LED is severely lacking in colors. On on the Bold 9930 using BeBuzz you could make any shade of any color you wanted, except black. On the Classic, you are restricted to Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, Magenta, and White, and only in the one shade.

-The LED flash duration is restricted to only a fast flash. On the Bold 9930 you could make it a smooth pulse, really quick flash, really long flash, etc. The LED flash is a little too quick IMO on the Classic, but you can make it repeat for as long as you'd like using BeBuzz.

-The HUB is garbage IMO. Why would I want all my different message types in one screen? I don't need to see a text from my wife saying I love you, next to an email from my boss ******** because I still didn't buy an iPhone or Android. On the plus side, you can heavily customize the HUB so that text messages ONLY show when you click the text messages icon, BBM only shows when clicking the BBM icon, emails when you click the messages icon, etc.

-Email Composing. The way you compose a new email in BB10 is terrible IMO. When you click to compose a new email it pops up with most used contacts, complete with their icons, all of which show in different sizes for some reason. Choosing which account to send the email from shows a long list of all account types (including non email accounts, again part of the garbage HUB system) instead of just a simple drop down like in BBOS

-No dynamic icons. This means gone are the days of having your weather app show the current weather on the icon. Now you have to actually open the app.

Neutral (Things that are basically the same)

Contact Management seems to be pretty much the same.

Calendar seems to be the same

Bedside Mode is the same, although I never used bedside mode on the 9930 since I had to charge it every single night and didn't need the battery saving features of bedside mode.

Apps Most people would put this as a positive to BB10, but I disagree. While there are some apps that weren't available in BBOS (AnyConnect, Duo Mobile, probably lots more) there are also some apps that are no longer there, such as Blackberry Traffic, Flixster, AIM, and lots more. Some other big important apps that were not available on BBOS are still missing on BB10 such as Netflix, Instagram, SnapChat, Spotify, etc. Granted I wouldn't be caught dead using any of those social media apps, but regardless, they aren't available. Some of the ones I mentioned may be available using the backdoor Android apps, but I've heard nothing but bad things about using those apps (battery drain, crashes, bugs) and refuse to put any on my phone, so can't speak to it.

I'll probably update this over the next few days, but hopefully this at least gives some more real info for those out there like me.
    The HUB is the best thing that BB10 brought and that's recognised even by android and ios users.
    And even if you don't want everything in one place you can keep them separate but still you have messages somehow separate (swipe one the left) and the rest of the apps swiping on the right.
    If you insist on having to 'click' separate icons for each and every app and each and every account, good for you but I guess you have to stick to BBOS7!

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 04:43 AM
    @OP: Don't really understand some of your issues. For example dynamic icons. Just open the app, minimize it and voila it appears on the first page - clock, calendar (with your day appointments, weather (with the temperature), Remember (with some tasks), Maps, Phone...you get the idea? You can have up to 8 open I believe and a lot easier to read than little icons.
    Web page shortcut if you need it
    As for colors - get BeBuzz

Lot's of other BB10 improvements
    Wouldn't keeping those apps opened and minimized drain the battery a lot faster though? Particularly ones like the weather app would keep a constant data connection up right? I've noticed when I use multiple apps the phone gets quite warm and the battery drains at a good 1% a minute.

I do have BeBuzz, and again, there are only those 7 colors, and only in the one shade of each. No orange, no purple or violet, no navy or sky blue or royal blue, no dark green or lime, no dark/light red, no brown, and dozens of others that I used on BB7. Colors may sound trivial to some, but it was by far one of my favorite features on BBOS. It's nice that it's still there in BB10, just severely reduced.
    08-12-15 07:32 AM
    The HUB is the best thing that BB10 brought and that's recognised even by android and ios users.
    And even if you don't want everything in one place you can keep them separate but still you have messages somehow separate (swipe one the left) and the rest of the apps swiping on the right.
    If you insist on having to 'click' separate icons for each and every app and each and every account, good for you but I guess you have to stick to BBOS7!

Posted via CB10
    If only I could install BBOS on this Classic!

But yea like you said, I've turned off everything from the hub except email accounts, so the hub for me now is basically the old BBOS "messages" option that showed only emails. It works well, it's just annoying that when I click compose on an email from the hub, it still offers me to send as a text/bbm/pin etc. even though those have been turned off from the hub.
    08-12-15 07:41 AM
    I find your compaint about the hub a bit odd.
    What does it matter what the message content is ? Does it matter what your wife says and then your boss said and the two messages being nearby?
    What if your both your wife and your boss sent you a text? There's no platform that has seperate apps for each contact so what exactly are you saying?
    If anything it's the beauty of the hub: you can email your boss and reply to your wife in the same app, without needing to switch in and out of things.
    Unless of course you want to ignore your wife or boss... but then again that's not really up to the phone to decide lol
    08-12-15 09:22 AM
    OP says he can not speak to Android apps yet he does. My Android apps work well enough for me. Better than no app at all.

OP should be pleased that BlackBerry makes the Classic. No other manufacturer makes a PKB that is even remotely as good. It is the Classic or what? That would be my review.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 09:43 AM

Sorry. What?? I really don't know how you used BBOS. The messages app on BBOS is just a sort of hub as well, all your messages in one place. You also had the option of viewing your text messages separately I suppose, and your emails too... but your notifications, etc would still appear in the messages app only. I'm curious as to how you used BBOS.
    I personally way prefer the hub. I like having all my messages together, but even if I didn't it's simpler than ever it was on BBOS to view just a certain category of messages.
    The compose message icon is also infinitely better IMO. On BBOS, you couldn't guess what would come up. It depended on the information related to that contact. Just a phone number? It would immediately phone the guy. An email address and a phone number? It would always send him an email for some reason (in my experience). No way to send a txt message via the compose app (pressing c from home screen).
    No, it's clear for my part, the hub is infinitely more efficient, more intuitive and quicker than any other equivalents on other OSes, including BBOS.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    08-12-15 11:05 AM
    I find your compaint about the hub a bit odd.
    What does it matter what the message content is ? Does it matter what your wife says and then your boss said and the two messages being nearby?
    What if your both your wife and your boss sent you a text? There's no platform that has seperate apps for each contact so what exactly are you saying?
    If anything it's the beauty of the hub: you can email your boss and reply to your wife in the same app, without needing to switch in and out of things.
    Unless of course you want to ignore your wife or boss... but then again that's not really up to the phone to decide lol
    It matters to me simply because I don't want them together. Texts to me are more "personal" and I use them for family and friends only. E-mails I consider more formal (work related) or are just generic stuff like website/bill notifications. I simply don't want the two mingled together.

The day my boss starts texting me is the day I change my number heh.
    08-12-15 12:01 PM
    OP says he can not speak to Android apps yet he does. My Android apps work well enough for me. Better than no app at all.

OP should be pleased that BlackBerry makes the Classic. No other manufacturer makes a PKB that is even remotely as good. It is the Classic or what? That would be my review.

Posted via CB10
    How did I speak to them? I said I've heard nothing but bad things, and therefore haven't tried them, so I can't speak directly to them. An app is better than no app at all unless it doesn't function properly, and drains battery, adds exploitable vulnerabilities to my phone, or is unstable. There are reports of that very thing all over them web.

I am pleased they make the Classic, hence why I have one despite the issues I have with it. If I wasn't required to be able to check email on my phone (company policy in order to receive the phone allowance) I would stick with the Bold 9930 until they shut 3G off.
    08-12-15 12:06 PM
51 123