Yes, exactly that. It will provide a much better viewing experience for video and games while still maintaining a reasonable size.
    Oh ok. I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
    04-02-14 03:08 AM
    No worries!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 10:21 AM
    That's all fine, but it doesn't seem this phone is being built for video and games. I would prefer the same ratio as the Q, personally.
    Yes, exactly that. It will provide a much better viewing experience for video and games while still maintaining a reasonable size.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-02-14 04:41 PM
    I just find that the width of my Q5 is perfect and I hope it will be maintained with the Q20 while increasing the screen size a bit to accommodate a 3.5 or 3.75" screen plus belt.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 06:34 PM
    That's all fine, but it doesn't seem this phone is being built for video and games. I would prefer the same ratio as the Q, personally.
    I agree, I don't want the device to be too tall or it'll become a pain to reach the top of the screen with my thumb while I'm using the phone one-handed...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-02-14 07:55 PM
    I agree...that's where I am coming from.
    I agree, I don't want the device to be too tall or it'll become a pain to reach the top of the screen with my thumb while I'm using the phone one-handed...

Mr4aces likes this.
    04-02-14 08:55 PM
    I can't wait for this phone I really wanted to buy q10 but the lack of physical button held me back from buying. I think its a good move they allready have touch devices and qwerty touch devices. I watched a review on the z30 it was very impressive. I don't need a phone for games and videos I have a tablet for that I just really want buttons not that virtual crap.if its physical buttons I bet it becomes their best seller.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-03-14 01:27 AM
    Do you have to swipe to make a call?
    04-04-14 03:36 AM
    Do you have to swipe to make a call?
    No, you'll have dedicated call and end call buttons.

#believeinfilm
    04-04-14 03:43 AM
    There was a video interview with Chen who said the phone would be released in September/October. So it'll be a little while, yet. Maybe that video was linked in this thread, or it's been stated already. But it was a concrete statement.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-04-14 08:56 AM
    I am a Q10 user and I adapted... I miss the trackpad, the toolbelt and the screen is almost too big for me... but I managed, adapted and I am now enjoying my q10.

I was excited about the q20 but with a screen size of 3,5"?!? BlackBerry, are you nuts?!?!?

Sooo, as a BlackBerry-hardcore-fan I would love to buy the q20 but not with such a huge screen! Bring back my beloved bold 9900 with os10 and I will pay you any price for such a device!!!

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-04-14 01:58 PM
    I am a Q10 user and I adapted... I miss the trackpad, the toolbelt and the screen is almost too big for me... but I managed, adapted and I am now enjoying my q10.

I was excited about the q20 but with a screen size of 3,5"?!? BlackBerry, are you nuts?!?!?

Sooo, as a BlackBerry-hardcore-fan I would love to buy the q20 but not with such a huge screen! Bring back my beloved bold 9900 with os10 and I will pay you any price for such a device!!!

Posted via CB10
    I assure you that you are in the minority, at least here on CrackBerry. All the posts I see from Q10 owners is they'd like a bigger screen. 3.5" is not enough of an increase from the Q10's 3.1" for many.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10.
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    04-11-14 10:49 AM
    I'm in that minority too then. Except the Q10 is my first Blackberry. I chose it for the keyboard, but I also love it because it fits easily in my small hands. I worry that a 3.5" screen will make it that much harder for me to securely hold & operate the phone in one hand. Maybe it won't be a problem, but I'll find out when I'm finally able to test one in the store. Meanwhile, no complaints here about the size at all.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, OS 10.2.1.2234
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-11-14 01:24 PM
    I'm in that minority too then. Except the Q10 is my first Blackberry. I chose it for the keyboard, but I also love it because it fits easily in my small hands. I worry that a 3.5" screen will make it that much harder for me to securely hold & operate the phone in one hand. Maybe it won't be a problem, but I'll find out when I'm finally able to test one in the store. Meanwhile, no complaints here about the size at all.

The size of the 9900 is perfect for everything except games and viewing detailed webites where they set the page size at a larger width.

I also have small hands so the thumb reach will be impotant. If I want to play games or surf I would use a tablet.

I will buy one (Q20) bc of the OS10 no matter what screen size. Sucks using one finger to type.

Dean Oshiro
    @mr4aces
    04-11-14 02:12 PM
    Well the good news is that websites are finally starting to incorporate the abilty to detect and adapt to browser screen sizes. Newer websites are more likely to be readable on mobile phones, while older sites are slowly being updated.

Also, most browsers optimized for mobile phone use include a "reader mode" which allows almost any website to be easily read on a tiny screen.

The size of the 9900 is perfect for everything except games and viewing detailed webites where they set the page size at a larger width.

I also have small hands so the thumb reach will be impotant. If I want to play games or surf I would use a tablet.

I will buy one (Q20) bc of the OS10 no matter what screen size. Sucks using one finger to type.

Dean Oshiro
    @mr4aces
    sheailewis1 likes this.
    04-11-14 02:26 PM
    Actually, it's so you can type and still see the the conversation or when using applications, it's not so cramped on the screen. Just watch James' video where he demos BBM stickers. Now I know this isn't an app to be concerned about in regards to my argument but it gets the point across as even James makes mention of it in the demo.

This is exactly right. The Q10's screen was way too small. 3.5" is literally the very minimum phone screen size in 2014. App developers want to write apps that will work on the largest number of devices, and the Q10's screen size is below what is considered the "majority minimum screen size".

This is especially true for Android apps (which, despite what many frequent posters on CB may say, are actually a very big thing for the majority of BB10 users based on CrackBerry Kevin's analysis of CB site traffic).

For example, try surfing the web on a PC with a resolution of 640x480. It's brutal, because few web developers see any need to support such a small resolution since the vast vast majority of their users have larger screens.

It's brutal even if you don't care about using your PC for watching video or other media. It's brutal just to navigate and do whatever it is you want to do on a website,
    Last edited by mnc76; 04-18-14 at 05:04 AM.
    04-18-14 04:41 AM
    Speaking of curved design, and since they are going "back to the future" with the legacy buttons, a perfect time to bring up my favorite BlackBerry concept ever, the BlackBerry Blade. Pity they lost the jump to Samsung and LG on curved devices, this could have been a real hit:
    To this day, that is still the best looking phone I have ever seen. It hasn't lost any of its "wow" factor. If it was released today, it would still be the most modern looking phone on the market even though that design was posted years ago.

Official details on the Q20-bb-blade_small_01.jpg
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-18-14 04:49 AM
    To this day, that is still the best looking phone I have ever seen. It hasn't lost any of its "wow" factor. If it was released today, it would still be the most modern looking phone on the market even though that design was posted years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb-blade_small_01.jpg 
Views:	2056 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	263959
    What a gimmick. I use my phone while it is sitting on my desk all of the time, especially while I'm eating. I'm sure that's completely doable with that curved phone, rocking all over the place, lmao. Besides being "cool" what benefit is it really?

thanasi likes this.
    04-18-14 09:49 AM
    Screen size is not the same as screen resolution. The Q10 has a great resolution - sharp and clear down to the smallest fonts, with bright beautiful color. Comparing it to a 640 x 480 resolution on an old PC is not an accurate analogy.

While the size may be brutal to *you*, I prefer a phone I can hold in the palm of one hand, which still delivers superb *resolution*.

It's wonderful that BlackBerry gives us a choice. Different size phones for different size hands and different priorities. You choose what works best for you, I choose what works best for me, and everybody's happy. :-)

This is exactly right. The Q10's screen was way too small.

:: snip ::

For example, try surfing the web on a PC with a resolution of 640x480. It's brutal, because few web developers see any need to support such a small resolution since the vast vast majority of their users have larger screens.

It's brutal even if you don't care about using your PC for watching video or other media. It's brutal just to navigate and do whatever it is you want to do on a website,

04-18-14 11:12 AM
    This is exactly right. The Q10's screen was way too small. 3.5" is literally the very minimum phone screen size in 2014.
    Literally means exactly and true. Since the q10 has a smaller screen, 3.5 is not literally the minimum screen size in 2014. I'm perfectly fine with the trade off with the smaller screen.
    Ragbert likes this.
    04-18-14 12:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree completely. Trackpad devices can be easily navigated with a very discrete curser. Without the requirement to cover display real estate using a relatively gigantic finger, trackpad screen size can be efficiently compact. Something the iPhone wannabe crowd just doesn't get. I, for one, don't have 5" long thumbs. SOME of us like to write with one hand and operate our phones with the other. If i want big screens i'll go to my PC with it's 100" flat screen. The 9930 is close to ergonomic perfection. Please just upgrade 9930 chassis with modern guts and quit trying to social engineer us into glorified iPhones.
    Ragbert likes this.
    04-18-14 01:32 PM
    All I want for Christmas is a Q20 with the bigger screen and a 1:1 ratio, with a track pad and a belt with physical buttons, and the OS10 and gestures with option to turn them off, and the action button back, and a removal battery that is as good or better as the Q10 and a screen resolution of the Z10 or better, and...ooh wee, can I get it in red?..and ...

Who am I kidding??...a classic BB similar to the 9930 with a larger screen will make me just giddy! I know I'm gonna buy...unless ofcourse they design the belt as part of the touch screen instead of physical buttons. And even with that blunder, I'll still probably buy it...I just won't be skipping and singing down the road with birds and flowers fluttering about. All I want to know is...

How SOON can I get it in my greedy little hands?!
    Last edited by bborgimicks; 04-20-14 at 11:06 AM.
    04-20-14 10:48 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb-blade_small_01.jpg 
Views:	2056 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	263959
    I have to say, when I saw this, the first thing that popped in my head was...WTH? But it goes to show you, what appeals to one person, doesn't appeal to another... everybody have that particular 'design' that speaks to them. This must not be mine.
    04-20-14 11:04 AM
    I think it will be something like this, BB10 still needs bezels for gestures

Attachment 250972

I just wish they could bring us a virtual trackpad for selecting text, that's the only thing I miss from BBOS

channel C000F331C- my Z30 rocks!
    If it looks like this I want it.

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    04-20-14 11:35 AM
    To all the guys slagging my "Q10 screen is too small" comments, you cannot deny that many many modern apps work better and are easier to navigate on screens with at least 3.5" diagonal length and non-square (1:1) aspect ratio.

Resolution is only half the story. Even if the Q10 had 1080p resolution, at 3.1 inches, it would be extremely difficult to accurately hit buttons with your finger unless you made the buttons so big as to effectively negate the benefit of the higher resolution.

High resolution without appropriate physical screen size is useless. If a button with a resolution of 100x100 pixels has a 1mm X 1mm physical screen size, then it makes the higher resolution useless since the button's physical size is too small (relative to an average human's fingerpad size).

I'm not slagging the Q10. I'm just pointing out the fact that a great many of today's apps demand more physical screen size.

I'm also saying that adding more resolution to a small screen doesn't help. At some point, you simply need to increase the physical size of the screen.

In another universe, the majority of apps would be optimized for 3.1 inch square screens and find ways to work around the smaller screen size. But that's not the actual case in this world.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 04-20-14 at 11:55 PM.
    04-20-14 11:42 PM
204 ... 6789