even if a trackpad could be useful for browsing i don't think a tool belt is what BB10 misses much.
    For a Q10 it's more about screen estate, BBM channels with a Q10 is ridiculously irritating, you have to click 3 or 4 times on a picture to see the whole of it, sometimes you pick the wrong place when browsing on very dense web pages...
    they should have tried a Q30 with Z30 width and 4"screen.
    If i resign myself to this new design, i can only imagine a physical row of keys for the tool belt, imho a virtual tool belt would be so ridiculous... and the point is "old consumers" allegedly miss the physical key and trackpad so a virtual one makes no sense at all.
    02-25-14 01:44 PM
    If I haven't mentioned before ITT:

I always liked the dedicated call buttons. Not only is it MUCH quicker to answer a call or redial the last number, you can do it in the dark or without looking at the device at all. Big ergonomic advantage there.

AND, it doesn't help that the mediocre UI design of BB10 results in a lot of mistaken activations of the phone and "pocket dialing" because of 2 factors: A) poor placement of the phone app icon at the bottom edge of the homescreen where it is very easy to touch by accident while handling the phone, B) poor UI logic where it only takes a momentary swipe across that button to activate it, rather than some more deliberate move. (ie longer press, double-tap, etc.)

The main reason I look forward to the trackpad is because text editing and cursor control on BB10 is not very polished. Much of that could be solved by improving the UI algorithms, but since it's been a year now and it hasn't really improved, the trackpad is one way to improve text editing control.

As far as the "back" and "menu" buttons - I could take or leave them. I don't think they are necessary, really.
    02-25-14 01:48 PM
    A software belt would actually negate the whole purpose. I hate the touchscreen hangup and phone buttons. First, they require you to actually look at the phone, I used to be able to make calls and hang up without ever looking at the phone, now with touchscreen buttons I can't do that. Also, since the touchscreen has to turn off while you have the phone up to your face, there's a little bit of a delay between taking the phone off your face and when the screen comes back on so you can hang up on a call. Physical buttons erase all of thes downsides of touchscreen controls.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-25-14 02:24 PM
    If its 1:1 , ill wait for q30.
    I am waiting for the Z40
    02-25-14 02:24 PM
    I wish they would have put the trackpad on the back like the LG phones with the backside buttons so we could have a larger screen and the benefits of the trackpad. Maybe 2 side buttons as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 02:31 PM
    And honestly, my own personal opinion is that watching movies on ANY size mobile screen is stupid. I only like watching movies at home on my big screen. I use my phone for communications and the occasional time wasting game or 9gag or something...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    xanadome, clickitykeys and th.1977 like this.
    02-25-14 03:24 PM
    The Q10 is 3.1" square.

This one is going to be 3.5", probably square too.
    I also think that the screen will be square. The diagonal is 12.9% larger. The area is 27% larger, so much more can be done on a 3.5 inch screen.

The increase in width of the screen (and hence the device), is 0.283 inches. For reference, the width of 4 successive physical keys on the Q10 is about 1 inch, so 0.283 inches amounts to adding to the device the width of a little bit more than a single key. Not so bad in my view.

The height increase, however, will be larger owing to the addition of the belt and the increased height of the screen.
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 02-25-14 at 07:34 PM.
    02-25-14 06:35 PM
    Thank you BlackBerry. I don't know why everyone is in an uproar about this. Did they announce that they are recalling all Z10s and Z30s and Q10s and you will be forced to use this device? They are simply responding to the people that said, "no trackpad, no sale." You DO want BlackBerry to keep selling phones, don't you?
    02-25-14 06:36 PM
    And honestly, my own personal opinion is that watching movies on ANY size mobile screen is stupid. I only like watching movies at home on my big screen.

People seem to do a lot of dumb things on tiny mobile screens, just because they can.

How about listening to music on the built in speakers - worse sound than a $5 transistor radio!

It is said that the majority of mobile data traffic is consumed by streaming video.

And streaming non-multicast video over the internet is about the most stupid invention ever, when it comes to broadcast efficiency.

This is not unlike building an individual printing press for each citizen that wants to read a book, and printing a single copy for each individual, instead of printing multiple books on a central printing press and distributing them.
    zachgeo likes this.
    02-25-14 07:14 PM
    My next phone
    02-25-14 09:11 PM
    It will not be 16:9, if only due to the required length for the "belt".

BUT, it does kind of raise a tantalizing notion, because the same handset COULD possibly accommodate a 16:9 WITHOUT the belt.
    How so . It would be too long or too skinny. The device would be the same as a Z30 with a the keyboard added on the bottom. Would it sell ? I really doubt it. QWERTY phones are a niche and those who want a large 5 inch screen QWERTY would be a small niche within the niche. Still it would be neat to try out a prototype.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-25-14 at 09:31 PM.
    02-25-14 09:15 PM
    I also think that the screen will be square. The diagonal is 12.9% larger. The area is 27% larger, so much more can be done on a 3.5 inch screen.

The increase in width of the screen (and hence the device), is 0.283 inches. For reference, the width of 4 successive physical keys on the Q10 is about 1 inch, so 0.283 inches amounts to adding to the device the width of a little bit more than a single key. Not so bad in my view.

The height increase, however, will be larger owing to the addition of the belt and the increased height of the screen.
    Most modern smartphones have seriously eliminated the amount of surface area that is on the front of the device that is not the screen. We should see the Q20 screen closer to the top edge and not just a taller Q10. It should be more squared off as well. Basically I expect to see more efficiency in the design, It will not be a big device. I would not be surprised to see more of a Porsche look.
    KDB84 likes this.
    02-25-14 09:21 PM
    I think it will be something like this, BB10 still needs bezels for gestures

Official details on the Q20-q20meass.jpg

I just wish they could bring us a virtual trackpad for selecting text, that's the only thing I miss from BBOS

channel C000F331C- my Z30 rocks!
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-26-14 01:27 AM
    All the 1:1 haters are gonna be depressed, lol. BlackBerry already said all the Q5 and Q10 apps will work on so........ draw your conclusion there.

As part of our Q-Series line up, you can rest assured that the applications that you’ve built for the Q5 and Q10 will be compatible with this new device.
    http://crackberry.com/q20-app-development
    jerryeight and madraving like this.
    02-26-14 01:30 AM
    So true, but not only that, I don't think they would release another screen ratio than 1:1 and 16:9, and 3.5" at 16:9 with a kb would be really ugly

02-26-14 01:34 AM
    How does the landscape writing work now in Q10? I think simply writing wont be possible in landscape with 16:9 which I think should be ok. Square screen 1:1 is less productive. The apps and video looks terrible in a square screen.

16:9 on a 3.5" display would mean it would be as tall as the Z30 and narrow. Almost as ugly as an iPhone with the Seacrest keyboard..
    And if you turn your device into landscape mode.. how would you write? I'm sure it will be 1:1. Has to.

02-26-14 01:56 AM
    I agree with you on the fact that sonetimes its less productive,when I take my Q10 I usually feel the icons are huge, but 3.5" is possibly big enough, at least to notice a change, being 1:1. 16:9 has this proportions problem :

Official details on the Q20-16-9-1-.jpg

First one is narrow as a Bold and taller than the Z30. 4.2 looks a bit better, but it is immense! You could use it as a weapon.. that is keeping 16:9 proportions

02-26-14 02:22 AM
    How does the landscape writing work now in Q10?

It doesn't. BB10 doesn't support landscape mode on a 1:1 screen device because there's no point in orienting one of those devices that way.

Portrait and landscape orientation - BlackBerry Developer

I think simply writing wont be possible in landscape with 16:9 which I think should be ok. Square screen 1:1 is less productive. The apps and video looks terrible in a square screen.

Some of us care little about video on smartphones. I'm one of them.

Some apps may look terrible but I either blame that on poor design from the developers, or the previous issues I mentioned here where the OS is stupidly designed for a small square screen. At least that seems fixable.

My Bold 9650 only has a 2.4" screen and I was just fine with the apps I used to use with it. In a nutshell: square screens for those of us who like them are fine, as long as the OS is not throwing 2-strikes against it by not handling it efficiently.
    anon(870071) likes this.
    02-26-14 02:23 AM
    I think it will be something like this, BB10 still needs bezels for gestures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q20meass.JPG 
Views:	2026 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	250972

I just wish they could bring us a virtual trackpad for selecting text, that's the only thing I miss from BBOS

The Q10 is too short. Remember there's the word "BlackBerry" between the top of the screen and the phone call speaker.
    Bor Navas likes this.
    02-26-14 02:24 AM
    You're right, the Q10 was the only one I didn't have with me at the moment,

Official details on the Q20-q10q20.jpg

Corrected

02-26-14 03:19 AM
    You're right, the Q10 was the only one I didn't have with me at the moment,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q10q20.jpg 
Views:	1083 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	250984

Corrected

Isn't the Q20 gonna need to be slightly taller to accommodate the speaker/"Blackberry" logo at the top? Copy the top of the Q10 from the screen up & paste it on the Q20, lets see how that looks, please.
    Bor Navas likes this.
    02-26-14 07:39 AM
    .....just please don't seal the battery....
    PJD642 and clickitykeys like this.
    02-26-14 07:39 AM
    I am wondering about just one thing.

Will they market this as the Q10 upgrade, or just an easier way for legacy users to make the switch?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    I for one am not impressed. I, as much as I've been rooting for BlackBerry, think they made a huge mistake going backward with this Q20. You make a huge point of making BB10 gesture focused then you backtrack and add the belt to please legacy users?
    Posted via CB10
    The fact that they're bringing back the trackpad + belt shows they don't want to innovate! This is a backwards A** step by BlackBerry and I'm extremely disappointed! CLEARLY people care more about screen size these days than how they navigate.
    To the above:

It has already been stated that the Q20 will be part of a new line of BlackBerry handsets that appeal to a specific niche market. This has not only been officially stated from an official BlackBerry senior staff member, but also reported in CrackBerry and other BlackBerry fan sites. Why so many people are missing this crucial piece of news is beyond me.

So for clarification: there are to be four different line-ups of BlackBerry handsets. One of which will be a "classic" line complete with at least a trackpad but also with an entire "belt" more-than-likely, too. A second line will be similar to the BB10 handsets that have already been released. That is, a qwerty model without belt and a 100% touch-screen non-qwerty model.

The bottom line is that with a "complete" line-up of various types of BlackBerry handsets, the Q20 will not hurt sales, even if it is ridiculed to death. And do I need to add that if you do not want one than don't buy one?

Won't purchasers simply have a choice of Q10 all touch and keyboard and Q20 with trackpad and buttons? Honestly, I really like the Q10 but there are times that having a trackpad would make it even more useful, especially for using with one hand.

Posted via CB10
    No, they will not have a choice. Every human being on the planet will be forced to purchase, and use, the Q20. It's all a part of BlackBerry's master plan to regain world dominance
    th.1977 and sheailewis1 like this.
    02-26-14 08:56 AM
    One doesn't purchase a QWERTY device for a massive touch screen or to consume media/games.

Not a concern for that target market.
    Actually, it's so you can type and still see the the conversation or when using applications, it's not so cramped on the screen. Just watch James' video where he demos BBM stickers. Now I know this isn't an app to be concerned about in regards to my argument but it gets the point across as even James makes mention of it in the demo.

mnc76 likes this.
    02-26-14 09:30 AM
    Ah my biggest beef is the send/back button. I loved those. I like the touch for scrolling and zooming but the track pad was good for small things. Try typing and going back 2 words. Impossible with a touch screen unless u have fingers the size of a 2 year old. Now I've got to decide. Do I want one and give up on the Q10 I just got.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 10:14 AM
204 12345 ...