I've always been annoyed that hitting any of the number buttons wakes the phone up (sort of). I hate having my phone do things when it's in my pocket just because I bumped into something and a button got pushed. When I found out that the reason for this was so that strangers who didn't know how to use the phone could make calls in an emergency (lock screen or no) I didn't have a good counter argument.It made sense to have this feature.

But I didn't delve deeper either.

Now I see that if I hit a number button with the phone in sleep mode I can't make a call anyway. I can hit those numbers till I'm blue in the face and unless I know the right combination of keys that will release that stats/lock screen, those numbers you typed wont do a damn thing.
    So again - why do those number keys have to wake the phone? I put it to sleep, and I want it that way until I say otherwise. That emergency call thing is now moot.
    10-18-16 05:22 PM
    Making this even more redundant: any button on the toolbelt will also wake the phone AND bring up the password screen--which is where the emergency call button is.
    10-19-16 06:04 AM
    Making this even more redundant: any button on the toolbelt will also wake the phone AND bring up the password screen--which is where the emergency call button is.
    I just tried every button while locked and the only buttons that turn on the screen while locked are the number buttons and the letter U.

I for one find this info useful in the event of an actual emergency you can make emergency calls from the lock screen instead of wasting precious seconds unlocking the phone and then making the call.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    10-19-16 10:52 AM
    First to be fair I do use the phone little differently: I dont like the lock screen, I like to wake the phone and jump right in and start using it. So when I push the numbers buttons (or as correctly pointed out the end call/accept call buttons or a double tap of the U)instead of the lock screen I get the preview screen. With that scenario there is no way to make an emergency call at that point unless you know to swipe or hit the power button to get you into the phone, and even if you get past that, if the phone wasn’t set to the phone app when it was put to sleep, the user won’t know how to make that emergency call because those numbers they were typing from the lock screen don’t get buffered or trigger the phone app once the preview screen is passed.
    I’m only arguing this point because it was pointed out to me the reason for the number/wake effect was to make emergency calls and I didn’t have a reasonable argument to the contrary - emergency calls are good idea - but like many things in OS10 it’s as though it hasn’t been tested thoroughly across all possibilities.
    10-19-16 12:07 PM
    I just tried every button while locked and the only buttons that turn on the screen while locked are the number buttons and the letter U.

I for one find this info useful in the event of an actual emergency you can make emergency calls from the lock screen instead of wasting precious seconds unlocking the phone and then making the call.

Interesting you have the same model with higher OS (mine is 2514). On mine all five toolbelt buttons wake the screen and bring the password prompt.

I think the argument for having extra buttons to wake/unlock is bunk though. First button most will try is power, then they will naturally try swipe to unlock since it is a de facto standard. Every smartphone I've used that had a touch screen has had it.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 12:39 PM
    Right but with that power button roaming around on every brand.... and that assumes that your rescuer is a tech savvy type. If I hand my parents my phone (they have an android) they don't know what to do with it. As I'm finding with BB of late - good idea but poorly implemented.
    10-19-16 01:06 PM
    Interesting you have the same model with higher OS (mine is 2514). On mine all five toolbelt buttons wake the screen and bring the password prompt.

I think the argument for having extra buttons to wake/unlock is bunk though. First button most will try is power, then they will naturally try swipe to unlock since it is a de facto standard. Every smartphone I've used that had a touch screen has had it.

Posted via CB10
    I never checked the toolbelt buttons lol I only checked the keyboard buttons
    10-19-16 01:18 PM
    The problem with the power button is that most other phones have the power button on the side. Again a power user will eventually find it but the whole point of emergency calls is to be able to hit 911 and be done with it, not spend 3 minutes figuring out how to get to a dialing screen. I haven no problem with the emergency call idea, but if you aren't going to implement it correctly or test it then let the user decide what wakes his phone. Besides if you need to hit the power button anyway even after bashing the numbers then that nullifies the whole idea and you might as well make the power button the wake button and that's it.
    10-20-16 10:04 AM
    The problem with the power button is that most other phones have the power button on the side. Again a power user will eventually find it but the whole point of emergency calls is to be able to hit 911 and be done with it, not spend 3 minutes figuring out how to get to a dialing screen. I haven no problem with the emergency call idea, but if you aren't going to implement it correctly or test it then let the user decide what wakes his phone. Besides if you need to hit the power button anyway even after bashing the numbers then that nullifies the whole idea and you might as well make the power button the wake button and that's it.
    Your theory only works if you just bought the phone though. You don't have to be a power user to figure out where the wake button is, you already know from using your phone. There's three things that wake the Classic, the power button, any button on the tool belt, and the letter U. From there you can type 911 on the lock screen and hit the call button and the call is made.

It doesn't take that long.

10-22-16 11:23 PM
    But only if you choose to use the lock screen.
    One of the reasons I got the classic was to get back to the tool belt because for some reason: dry hands, alien DNA... I don't know, I can't seem to swipe to answer or unlock the lock screen or use a virtual keyboard easily. When answering the phone on the Q10, I would swipe to answer 5,6,7 times before it would take.
    So I chose to turn off the lock screen so i wouldn't go through that every time I attempted to wake the phone. When you wake the phone with the power button, you can start working right away, no further action is required. I don't know how many people I've converted when they see me do that. ("I hate that lock screen! How did you do that!")
    However, with the lock screen turned off in the prefs, any number button or a double tap on the U button wakes the phone and brings up the preview screen. And no amount of number bashing will let you call anyone, unless you hit the power button (or swipe upward to clear the preview screen) and then you have to dial your number AGAIN!

And when I say a non power user, I mean someone like my parents who don't have blackberries but instead have gone android. They are used to a side button and have nothing on the top of theirs so they don't think to look there and instead hit the volume cluster over and over with no success. God help you if you are incapacitated and a non blackberry user finds you. (Ok, that's extreme, but it's just not well thought out is all) And to be clear, I love the power button on top.

It just gets my goat that for a long time everyone said the reason for the number pad wake was for emergency calls, but if you don't use the lock screen that emergency functionality doesn't work at all. I just got tired of that damn thing coming out of sleep when it was in my pocket or in a gym bag etc. I've called people with my behind and it's deleted emails on it's own. I put it to sleep, I want it to stay that way until I say so. Having it wake due to an accidental press and then something brushing upward to wake it followed by any random interaction on the touch screen creates mayhem. You wouldn't think it would happen often but I'm here to say, boy howdy! A phone that only wakes when you want it to: that's not a hard thing to design - I guess except for people who work, or should I say, no longer work, at BB.
    10-23-16 12:00 AM
    But only if you choose to use the lock screen.
    One of the reasons I got the classic was to get back to the tool belt because for some reason: dry hands, alien DNA... I don't know, I can't seem to swipe to answer or unlock the lock screen or use a virtual keyboard easily. When answering the phone on the Q10, I would swipe to answer 5,6,7 times before it would take.
    So I chose to turn off the lock screen so i wouldn't go through that every time I attempted to wake the phone. When you wake the phone with the power button, you can start working right away, no further action is required. I don't know how many people I've converted when they see me do that. ("I hate that lock screen! How did you do that!")
    However, with the lock screen turned off in the prefs, any number button or a double tap on the U button wakes the phone and brings up the preview screen. And no amount of number bashing will let you call anyone, unless you hit the power button (or swipe upward to clear the preview screen) and then you have to dial your number AGAIN!

And when I say a non power user, I mean someone like my parents who don't have blackberries but instead have gone android. They are used to a side button and have nothing on the top of theirs so they don't think to look there and instead hit the volume cluster over and over with no success. God help you if you are incapacitated and a non blackberry user finds you. (Ok, that's extreme, but it's just not well thought out is all) And to be clear, I love the power button on top.

It just gets my goat that for a long time everyone said the reason for the number pad wake was for emergency calls, but if you don't use the lock screen that emergency functionality doesn't work at all. I just got tired of that damn thing coming out of sleep when it was in my pocket or in a gym bag etc. I've called people with my behind and it's deleted emails on it's own. I put it to sleep, I want it to stay that way until I say so. Having it wake due to an accidental press and then something brushing upward to wake it followed by any random interaction on the touch screen creates mayhem. You wouldn't think it would happen often but I'm here to say, boy howdy! A phone that only wakes when you want it to: that's not a hard thing to design - I guess except for people who work, or should I say, no longer work, at BB.
    I have swipe to wake turned off. Although useful, I always felt that it drained unnecessary battery life. I always use the power button. I haven't tried to use the emergency dial with notifications on the screen. I'll try it and see if I see any of the things that you are describing.

I get what you're saying if you're knocked out and a non BlackBerry user tries to use your phone. Your done at that point lol.

10-23-16 06:27 AM