About two weeks ago, my Classic ceased to sync with Blackberry Link. When hard wired to my desktop contact is made as the phone will charge, but on the Link dashboard, under "devices", the Blackberry -0168 is identified, but in grey and "Disconnected"

This has worked fairly reliably since I started using this phone and OS10 probably five or so years ago.

Where do I start with troubleshooting?

Do I want to "Reload Device Software"?

I rely on my phone/Link/Desktop to manage my business, so this has thrown a real wrench in the works.

Thank you in advance
    04-08-21 10:29 PM
    About two weeks ago, my Classic ceased to sync with Blackberry Link. When hard wired to my desktop contact is made as the phone will charge, but on the Link dashboard, under "devices", the Blackberry -0168 is identified, but in grey and "Disconnected"

This has worked fairly reliably since I started using this phone and OS10 probably five or so years ago.

I rely on my phone/Link/Desktop to manage my business, so this has thrown a real wrench in the works.

Thank you in advance
    What OS are you using on your PC? Is it Windows 10?

Was it after an update from Microsoft that it stopped working?

Don’t take offence but BB10 is End of Life and has been for some time so it would seem a bit risky to use it as a business critical device?

You could try removing Link and reinstalling to see it it cures the problem.
    04-09-21 07:32 AM
    I had LINK fail me a number of times after a Windows updates... but then Windows changed something else and it worked fine again for years.

You can try rolling back any recent updates to Windows.

Next would be to disable any security software on your system for a short test period.

Then I'd give uninstalling all of BlackBerry's software fully from your system, use regedit to remove any leftover junk... reboot and reinstall with Administrator account.

But if it's mission critical... you need to be using something to can expect to rely on. Just that fact it doesn't work with current versions of Outlook ended it's usefulness for me. Was mostly just a backup tool at that point.
    04-09-21 08:24 AM

Thank you in advance
    Try to reload Link, also make sure you delete all BB folders as windows will save the base folder. but you will loose all backups.
    04-10-21 08:07 AM
    Try to reload Link, also make sure you delete all BB folders as windows will save the base folder. but you will loose all backups.
    Thanks. My backup is Outlook as the two have worked together just fine.

I assume the "reload" you mean Link/Blend from the Blackberry website?
    04-10-21 09:12 AM
    What OS are you using on your PC? Is it Windows 10?
    Yes, Win10

Was it after an update from Microsoft that it stopped working?
    Honestly, I don't remember. It indeed might be the case.

Don’t take offence but BB10 is End of Life and has been for some time so it would seem a bit risky to use it as a business critical device?
    No offense taken. And indeed BB10 is on its way out. I just have gotten into a groove with how I have things set up. And frankly, find no need to "fix something that ain't broke. (Of course, now might be that broke time ) I have to understand that for much of the world, desktop focus is no long the norm. It is for me. I do all my deskwork in the office and simply carry that information out into the field.

What we are looking at is this: I run a small (one man) service company. My phone is for talking on the phone, looking up basic customer information (local, not cloud) checking an occasional website and texting with my customers and friends.

I am outlook based, and all client information is there. Most is generated at the desktop and synced in to the BB. Contact information and schedule.

I am old school enough that I print my daily calendar and put it in my work binder. (I have an older clientele, and believe it or not, it is a comfort factor to them!) I also monthly print out my client directory for my binder.

To my sensibilities, having the directory and calendar on my phone is a luxury not a necessity. But I like having it and want to maintain it.

You could try removing Link and reinstalling to see it it cures the problem.
    initially I did try that on my desktop and it did not fix the problem. On BB Link there is an option to "Reload Devise Software" taking it back to factory settings. I wonder if that works
    Last edited by DSturke; 04-10-21 at 09:44 AM. Reason: seeing if I could change color on my embedded responses
    04-10-21 09:25 AM
    I had LINK fail me a number of times after a Windows updates... but then Windows changed something else and it worked fine again for years.
    one of the great revelations for me many years ago was the realization that upgrading to, say Win95, I could still run most of my older software. Boy do I long for those days!

You can try rolling back any recent updates to Windows.
    I guess I could try that. Probably as a last resort. Any way to find out if there is a more 'targeted" approach? Like finding something specific to this kind of syncing compatability?

Next would be to disable any security software on your system for a short test period.
    I think I have the company issued "Windows Security" going, but I also run eSet. Would I disable both of those? And frankly, I have no idea how to do that.

Then I'd give uninstalling all of BlackBerry's software fully from your system, use regedit to remove any leftover junk... reboot and reinstall with Administrator account.
    I did an "uninstall/reinstall" of the Blend/Link package. That didn't help. With the MS "system" uninstall. Does "Regedit" do a more thorough job? And is my assumption that "Regedit" is an easily found download?
    Also, what defines "Administrator Account" from the regular Blend/Link package found at the BB downloads site?

Oh, and thanks very much for responding. Hopefully I am learning a lot here!

But if it's mission critical... you need to be using something to can expect to rely on. Just that fact it doesn't work with current versions of Outlook ended it's usefulness for me. Was mostly just a backup tool at that point.
    as suggested in another response, my business life does not depend solely on having my desktop synced with my BB. But it has become a good convenience and habit I would rather not like to break. In line with my somewhat old school approach, my successful sync is with Outlook 2010 (yes, I just said that!) But it works for my business as my technological demands are not all that high. I just need a good reliable tool for keeping track of clients and schedule.
    04-10-21 09:43 AM
    I understand your use case as that was how I used to use my BB10 phones, sans the print offs!

Just a word of caution, The registry editor is built into windows, you can access it by right clicking on the start button and going to run then typing regedit.

If you don’t know what you are doing in the registry you can very quickly cause more problems than you cure so my advice would be to either leave well alone or do some extensive research on how to use the registry before you have a go.

You could also check if SMBv1 is enabled on your computer, although this doesn’t usually affect syncing.

Go into programs and features on your PC and then into turn Windows features on and off, scroll down to SMBv1 and enable it, you will need to restart your computer for this to take effect.

You should turn this feature off when not using it as it is a big security risk.
    04-10-21 11:43 AM
    Back when I was using my Z10 and Link with my PC, when a Win 10 update happened (but before they started disabling SMB v1), it would break Link for me too.

Part of my process in uninstalling Link included the regular uninstall from the Control Panel, rebooting, then searching for the related folders under Program Files, App Data, and places like that EXCEPT for the one in Documents - that's where the backups went so those were spared.

Then I'd search in the registry for anything with BlackBerry, RIM or Research in Motion (because all three terms were still used), and just delete them.

Reboot again, then reinstall Link.

That worked until SMB v1 was disabled by one of the Win 10 Anniversary updates several years ago. It took almost a year before I found out about the SMB v1 issue and resolved that easily enough to have Link work again.

Now, I leave SMB v1 disabled until I actually want to use Link. The Z10 is no longer my primary phone, but I do keep it charged and running to keep up with issues here on these forums that I might be able to help with.

With the last couple of Win 10 updates, including the one I got late last year, Link would quit connecting again. But all I did was uninstall, reboot and reinstall without any cleaning out and it worked again.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-10-21 12:45 PM
    When BB10 first came out, LINK didn't fully support syncing to Outlook... so I dropped my old POP email and move to a cloud Exchange option that allowed for two-way syncing of my email, contacts and calendar. I did still use LINK some as a backup, once they finished it and it would work... And BLEND is what really made using BB10 on a PC a great business companion.

Relying on Outlook 2010 and BB10 in 2022 might be "god convenience".... but it tis a habit you need to face some facts with. BlackBerry's shutdown next year is likely going to end this anyway. Their are some issues with using Outlook 2010 and BB10 on the security side of things as well.

I get that moving forward might be a little costly... but it means you won't get caught with no business.
    04-12-21 08:02 AM
    When BB10 first came out, LINK didn't fully support syncing to Outlook... so I dropped my old POP email and move to a cloud Exchange option that allowed for two-way syncing of my email, contacts and calendar. I did still use LINK some as a backup, once they finished it and it would work... And BLEND is what really made using BB10 on a PC a great business companion.

Relying on Outlook 2010 and BB10 in 2022 might be "god convenience".... but it tis a habit you need to face some facts with. BlackBerry's shutdown next year is likely going to end this anyway. Their are some issues with using Outlook 2010 and BB10 on the security side of things as well.

I get that moving forward might be a little costly... but it means you won't get caught with no business.
    Windows 10 is very protective of what it allows and does not, Link gets flagged and after a complete removal runs again. I also once had to use compatibility manager and that worked for a while until the next update.
    04-12-21 09:14 AM

I never had a problem with Outlook 2013 or 2016, still both work with BB10, well they did when I last used it about a year ago.

2010 is well out of support so wise not to use it any more.
    04-12-21 01:02 PM
    For old time's sake, here's the official support link from BlackBerry for issues with USB connections and BlackBerry 10. The steps mention Windows 7 and 8, but the steps for 8 will also apply to 10 with the addition of making sure that at least SMB 1 client is enabled on your computer.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...language=en_US
    04-16-21 06:14 AM
    For old time's sake, here's the official support link from BlackBerry for issues with USB connections and BlackBerry 10. The steps mention Windows 7 and 8, but the steps for 8 will also apply to 10 with the addition of making sure that at least SMB 1 client is enabled on your computer.

BlackBerry 10 devices not being detected via USB
    Thanks! I will screw up the courage to try this out!

What I find interesting -- and this may change something about this case -- is that the connection is made, the phone recharges while connected and the blackberry Blend works.

It is just that the Link function does not "see" my device Not syncing with Blackberry Link-link-shot.png
    Last edited by DSturke; 06-10-21 at 07:22 AM. Reason: additional information
    06-10-21 07:17 AM
    Also make sure to DISABLE SMB 1 after use since its a pretty big security risk to leave that enabled.
    06-10-21 09:22 AM