I know BB is shut down but i have a classic i am working on. Debating on going to it. Only need a few apps and even those i might not need. Uber. Signal. Email. Thats about it. So tired of my iphone. Reading these pages looking for things i can do. Have it on wifi but no sim card yet
    03-07-20 09:19 PM
    I know BB is shut down but i have a classic i am working on. Debating on going to it. Only need a few apps and even those i might not need. Uber. Signal. Email. Thats about it. So tired of my iphone. Reading these pages looking for things i can do. Have it on wifi but no sim card yet
    Just be aware that the app ecosystem is not great. Uber is best achieved using the mobile website, Signal has an apk that can be used (for now anyway), and email is superb with the Hub although there are a few glitches getting Yahoo and Gmail set up.
    03-08-20 11:46 AM
    Aside from the Android 4.3 runtime limitations, there is also the problem of the Classic's processor being severely underpowered for today's standards.

Only the Passport can sort of chug along in 2020, but even then, with Android apk's it will heat up often, and in some cases, that prolonged heat can end up damaging internal components eventually.
    03-08-20 02:03 PM
    Aside from the Android 4.3 runtime limitations, there is also the problem of the Classic's processor being severely underpowered for today's standards.
    Agreed but with one caveat. If you are using the device for just email, texting and some messaging (ie with Signal) it should be fine. I briefly tested my spare Z10 with Signal (although that was about a year ago) it ran fine. Just don't expect to add a bunch of other battery slurping apk's and have everything perform nicely. The key is to limit android apps especially on the Q5, Q10, Z10 and Classic.
    03-08-20 02:17 PM
    Going through my iphone apps there really is not much i need. signal, email, text and phone the only ones that are mandatory. Actually started looking at flip phones but none were real options.
    03-08-20 05:54 PM
    Agreed but with one caveat. If you are using the device for just email, texting and some messaging (ie with Signal) it should be fine. I briefly tested my spare Z10 with Signal (although that was about a year ago) it ran fine. Just don't expect to add a bunch of other battery slurping apk's and have everything perform nicely. The key is to limit android apps especially on the Q5, Q10, Z10 and Classic.
    And the Z3 and Leap too
    brookie229 likes this.
    03-09-20 08:19 AM
    How about nav? is there a good map program that will BT to my vechicle?
    03-09-20 08:20 AM
    The classic's screen size precludes the use of a map for clarity unless the screen is 6" from your face. Usually that's not a good option while you're driving. Any map app I'd use at least a Passport for screen legibility. Android Auto won't work because your phone has runtime 4.3.

However. There is a free app in BBW that does not use either a BT or an internet connection to use. It is maps.me. After you have downloaded specific maps to your phone you can use the app with turn-by-turn navigation, with or without voice. Make sure your phone is plugged in and charging because the map downloads take a while.
    03-25-20 10:52 AM
    Maps.me has maps few years old, because the app itself is few years old. You cannot install newest one, or even if you managed to install newer one, the performance is baaaaaaad.
    I have tried several map apps and I found none that works without problems. If it installs, then the maps are bad. If maps are good, then the performance is low, and, again, the app is useless... Sorry, but it is best to forget about using navigation on BlackBerry classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-20 02:08 AM
    What vehicle? Are you just wanting to hear the turn by turn, or do you want to see it? In today's newer cars... you really need either Android or iOS to get the full functionality out of the infotainment systems that have CarPlay or Android Auto.

You are better off sticking to a simple to use and compatible with today's systems... iPhone, than moving backwards to a old and limited phone from five years ago. If you want to return to a PKB phone, get a KEY2 or LE.
    04-07-20 07:13 AM