hi all, first post

during due diligence & research before buying my Classic I am sure i read somewhere that the Blackberry DTEK app was available for the Classic.

but now i've bought one I cant find it on either amazon app store or bb world. after installing Cobalt232's play store i still couldnt find it in the ps app BUT i could find it if i logged into ps via browser so i "added to wishlist" then opened the ps app again and DTEK shows up on wishlist but says "your device isnt compatible with this version". I had the problem of being unable to uninstall android apps so i have also updated the android run time which fixed the uninstall problem but DTEK is still unavailable.

is there a version that will work on Classic or can the one in app store be made to work in some way?

i cant seem to post a screenshot? am using the CB10 app and that brings me to another couple of issues re: the app itself.

1. i couldnt create a new user account for CB with the app. i have logged in/created a new account with my google account which i didnt want to do.

2. when i installed the app i had a look at the top level "ads" and "news" etc and went to the learn cascades ebook. although the page opened i couldnt download the free ebook with the link, i had to open the page in the browser to download it - is this normal?

I've some other questions too. is it possible to access Tor on BB10/Classic? i tried to use Orbot via the playstore, it installed and sort of started/connected before i updated the run time but i couldnt access the menus and it wouldnt "long press" disconnect and orfox was just a black screen. after run time update orfox looked like it would work ok but orbot didnt seem able to connect to Tor although it was trying to. can it be made to work and if so, how?

another slight issue i have is trying to close the windows on the desktop, i can press on the x several times but the window is still there or maximises, it can get quite frustrating, what am i doing wrong? it is making me wonder if there is a problem with the touch screen itself although scrolling, selecting or w/e with my finger mostly seems to work fine, it is closing the windows on desktop where i've a real problem.

is it possible to set the browser to keep the address bar on all the time? i struggle to get it to show when i want to switch tabs, it would be easier if the address bar was permanantly on.

another question i have is regarding the on screen keyboard (or the lack of it). when i was researching the classic i thought i had read somewhere that there was an on screen keyboard as well as the physical one but if there is I've yet to see it except for the symbols one, is there one and if so how do i open it?

i also thought i'd read somehwere that there was an app that would test the phone and it's features/hardware etc and report if there were any issues, e.g. the touch screen not working properly or the battery needing replacing etc. i'm asking because my phone is a second-hand one and i just want to test it to be sure I've not been sold a dud. the probs with closing the windows/trying to get the address bar up have made me paranoid.

is there any way to transfer contacts/accounts/settings from my old curve to the Classic?

can the phone be rooted? would there be any need to root the phone, eg to install thrid party apps or force proxy in Orbot (if it can be made to work). would rooting the phone break it?

another thing i've noticed is when i was setting up the mobile hotspot it said "this feature consumes battery power to extend battery life plug it into a power source" - wouldnt having the phone constantly plugged in like that actually harm the battery not conserve it? i thought the best way to protect the battery was to fully charge, unplug, run down/use it up and then recharge it, unplug, etc..

i know that some apps consume lots of battery power and so you get less time between charges when using them as opposed to less power hungry apps but is keeping it plugged in harmful or not?

I'd also like to ask about transferring files via NFC, is there a size/time limit? do i have to have the NFC chip in alignment with the other NFC device's chip? i struggled to get the transfer started initially, then when it was working the transfer failed part way through, i then couldnt get the transfer to restart - ended up using bluetooth to transfer instead. which of the two (NFC/BT) is the quickest?

when i want to uninstall apps, if i long press on their icon until the dustbin icon appears - would they uninstall properly if i just clicked the bin icon or should i remove them through the appstore/playstore/bb world?

I'm sure i've got more teething issues to ask about but this post is already long enough and i've forgotten what else i'd noticed that wasnt "as expected". thanks for any help/advice that you can share

MJS

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 07:50 PM
    I don't have all the answers. I answered the ones I could.

hi all, first post

during due diligence & research before buying my Classic I am sure i read somewhere that the Blackberry DTEK app was available for the Classic.
    No DTEK app is for BlackBerry ANDROID devices. As far as I know, there is no equivalent for BB10.

i also thought i'd read somehwere that there was an app that would test the phone and it's features/hardware etc and report if there were any issues, e.g. the touch screen not working properly or the battery needing replacing etc. i'm asking because my phone is a second-hand one and i just want to test it to be sure I've not been sold a dud. the probs with closing the windows/trying to get the address bar up have made me paranoid.
    The app is called BBVE. BlackBerry Virtual Expert. Run the tests and make sure everything works accordingly.

can the phone be rooted? would there be any need to root the phone, eg to install thrid party apps or force proxy in Orbot (if it can be made to work). would rooting the phone break it?
    No way to root the phone.

another thing i've noticed is when i was setting up the mobile hotspot it said "this feature consumes battery power to extend battery life plug it into a power source" - wouldnt having the phone constantly plugged in like that actually harm the battery not conserve it? i thought the best way to protect the battery was to fully charge, unplug, run down/use it up and then recharge it, unplug, etc..
    I don't think it is great for the battery, but how long are you keeping this phone? Chances are that in the timeframe you are speaking of, you would not likely cause significant damage. If you are keeping this phone for the next 10 years, well, maybe I would be concerned (but it may not be about the battery... haha)
    Mr John Smith likes this.
    11-10-16 10:22 PM
    To get contacts off your old BlackBerry to your new one there's an app on blackberry world called "device switch". Just download it on both phones and follow the instructions.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-16 10:42 AM
    thanks Juicy,

BBVE tells me that there are no issues, my paranoia was unfounded. as i use the phone I'm finding it easier to do things too, i suppose I just needed to get used to it.

how long am i keeping the phone? how long is a piece of string? ten years wouldn't be inconceivable, it would depend on what else happened and what other phones are released between now and then.

if i can get the phone to do everything i want it to do then there wouldn't be any need to replace it until such time as it either won't do what i want it to do or is broken.

MJS

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 08:00 AM
    Will we ever see the Classic be updated to an Android OS?

Cheers
    11-13-16 08:21 AM
    To get contacts off your old BlackBerry to your new one there's an app on blackberry world called "device switch". Just download it on both phones and follow the instructions.

Posted via CB10
    thanks Ces1um,

unfortunately that doesn't really do what I want to do though it will help a bit. I know i didnt say so in my 1st post but on my curve i have a few years worth of bookmarks that i was hoping i'd be able to transfer along with accounts/settings. having looked on blackberry.com it seems that i cant transfer bmk's or social media accounts (not a problem). the bmk's are the key thing really, looks like i may have a long boring job ahead of me

MJS

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 08:40 AM
    seems i can use Blackberry Protect to transfer the info I want to transfer

thanks though

MJS

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 09:39 AM
    I moved to the Classic from my 9700 approx 4 months ago, so I know where you're coming from

I am sure i read somewhere that the Blackberry DTEK app was available for the Classic.

Nope, dtek only for blackdroids. BB10 has it's own built in security, and at this point is more secure that blackdroids.

i cant seem to post a screenshot?
    screen shot: depress volume up/down keys simultaneously (is that the question you were asking?)

i couldnt create a new user account for CB with the app. i have logged in/created a new account with my google account which i didnt want to do. and
    when i installed the app i had a look at the top level "ads" and "news" etc and went to the learn cascades ebook. although the page opened i couldnt download the free ebook with the link, i had to open the page in the browser to download it - is this normal?
    Ask these questions down in the section dealing with Forum issues. (I can't help)

I've some other questions too. is it possible to access Tor on BB10/Classic?

Here's a thread re which torrent best for OS10:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12657552

another slight issue i have is trying to close the windows on the desktop
    Sometimes I don't get my finger right on the x and takes me ages. Much quicker to use the trackpad

is it possible to set the browser to keep the address bar on all the time?
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if you go browser settings, display and actions,on startup show ....

another question i have is regarding the on screen keyboard (or the lack of it)
    As far as I know there isn't an on screen keyboard, cos I haven't found one.

i also thought i'd read somehwere that there was an app that would test the phone and it's features/hardware etc and report if there were any issues
    Yep, and i see you found BBVE

is there any way to transfer contacts/accounts/settings from my old curve to the Classic?

I backed up on BB Desktop Software, and then used BB Link to change devices and restore data. Do you use either of those BB desktop programs? I use BB Link to backup my Classic. It is a very worthwhile program.

I can't help re the rest of the questions ....

Please ask more questions as they arise for you. Unfortunately there isn't much help around on CB for those new to the Classic and BB10.
    Mr John Smith likes this.
    11-13-16 03:43 PM
    Sorry if some of these have been answered already, but i've quoted your initial post and cut it into chunks to reply to. So I can't read through the thread as i'm typing a response.

another slight issue i have is trying to close the windows on the desktop, i can press on the x several times but the window is still there or maximises, it can get quite frustrating, what am i doing wrong? it is making me wonder if there is a problem with the touch screen itself although scrolling, selecting or w/e with my finger mostly seems to work fine, it is closing the windows on desktop where i've a real problem.

If the active frame has a blue hue to it, that means your trackpad 'cursor' is on it. Press the back button to close the active frame.
    If your application is maximized, and you wish to minimize it, you can do so with the end key. Then it's simple to roll your thumb over to the back key and completely close it.

is it possible to set the browser to keep the address bar on all the time? i struggle to get it to show when i want to switch tabs, it would be easier if the address bar was permanantly on.

I haven't found a way to keep it open.
    When it's closed, press the letter U and that will immediately begin typing in the URL.
    Also, when it's closed, press the letter W to open the tabbed section

another question i have is regarding the on screen keyboard (or the lack of it). when i was researching the classic i thought i had read somewhere that there was an on screen keyboard as well as the physical one but if there is I've yet to see it except for the symbols one, is there one and if so how do i open it?

There is not a native one.
    There is a program called silent keys that will do this for you.
    Check out Silent Keys - International Keyboard in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59945495

You are right. It is called BBVE.

Within BlackBerry Link, there is a device swap feature. I have transferred data from my old 9700 to a bb10 phone before

Nope. You can't root it.
    If you wish to install applications from third parties, go to Settings -> App Manager -> Installing Apps -> then click 'Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed'. Of course, installing a program that has not been inspected (ex: by BlackBerry when it's published through BlackBerry World) will put you at the mercy of whatever code the developer has put into the program.

I use the hotspot often.
    Without plugging in the phone, you can still get several hours out of it.
    So, hopefully you can accomplish what you need, then plug in the phone once you are done with the hotspot.

i know that some apps consume lots of battery power and so you get less time between charges when using them as opposed to less power hungry apps but is keeping it plugged in harmful or not?

I'm not an expert, but I try to avoid it. I only charge the phone at the end of the day.

I'd also like to ask about transferring files via NFC, is there a size/time limit? do i have to have the NFC chip in alignment with the other NFC device's chip? i struggled to get the transfer started initially, then when it was working the transfer failed part way through, i then couldnt get the transfer to restart - ended up using bluetooth to transfer instead. which of the two (NFC/BT) is the quickest?

No size or time limit.
    Once a transfer is started, you can return to the home screen, press the  symbol to open the quick settings, and watch the progress of the transfer there. If you click on the transfer progress bar, that should open a more detailed page.
    I always try to use NFC transfers as my first attempt. Once NFC is triggered and the phones vibrate, the devices communicate and determine how they should complete the transfer. If both devices are compatible, the transfer may take place over Wifi-Direct (super fast), or it could transfer over bluetooth.

when i want to uninstall apps, if i long press on their icon until the dustbin icon appears - would they uninstall properly if i just clicked the bin icon or should i remove them through the appstore/playstore/bb world?

Yes, using that bin is one way to remove them properly.

Posted via CB10
    Heavens1 and Mr John Smith like this.
    11-15-16 09:55 AM
    Also, since you're new to the Classic, you may find some of these tips useful
    (note: this list was typed up by Slagman)

1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.
    2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.
    3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.
    4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.
    5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.
    6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.
    7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.
    8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.
    9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

Posted via CB10
    Heavens1 and Mr John Smith like this.
    11-15-16 10:06 AM
    That's an awesome writeup of some tips.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 03:54 PM
    That's an awesome writeup of some tips.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, and now I know a lot more about bb10.

I hope the OP has benefitted.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    11-15-16 04:06 PM
    I want to thank everybody that's replied, I think I'm about where I wanted to be now. I'm very grateful for all the help especially undefinederror's list of tips, they're awesome! Many thanks all.

re: screenshot - I know how to take one, CB10 wouldn't let me post it, I wonder if there's a minimum post limit before you can post images?

re: tor - Tor, The Onion Router not torrent (I use utorrent on android). I've not tried to run Orbot again since the OP, I uninstalled it for now. The plan is to use Cobalt232's 'hacks' to get other android apps running that require Google services, etc, before trying Orbot again, it could simply have been an issue with my internet connection last time I tried.

If I can I want to ditch the droid phone completely and use the classic only, I'll just keep playing with it.

Thanks again folks!

MJS

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 07:10 AM
    Switching tabs in the browser is easy. Just press "w" and select the tab you want with the trackpad or on-screen. Press "u" to start typing in the URL bar, or tap "g" to clear your current tab. Try out all keys to see which ones work for you. I use them all on a daily basis and wouldn't do without a keyboard. I'm still wondering how the Z series made me forget about all this.
    Last edited by crackbb10; 11-16-16 at 07:41 AM.
    11-16-16 07:24 AM
    Yes I believe there is a post limit before images show. I think they have to be approved?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 10:01 AM
    Will we ever see the Classic be updated to an Android OS?

Cheers
    Why? The hardware is old, BB doesn't even manufacture the phone anymore!
    There would be no benefit to BB to do this - it would mean another complete round of certifications, etc.

Just not even remotely in the realm of possibility.
    11-16-16 10:25 AM
    Why? The hardware is old, BB doesn't even manufacture the phone anymore!
    There would be no benefit to BB to do this - it would mean another complete round of certifications, etc.

Just not even remotely in the realm of possibility.
    The Mercury is the blackdroid version of classic. Great, that's sorted for you.

11-16-16 01:21 PM
    The Mercury is the blackdroid version of classic. Great, that's sorted for you.

I highly doubt that it's a Classic with Android slapped on. Unless I am completely out to lunch, it's a brand-new machine - upgraded processor, etc.
    11-16-16 02:25 PM
    I highly doubt that it's a Classic with Android slapped on. Unless I am completely out to lunch, it's a brand-new machine - upgraded processor, etc.
    You out of touch, nah, just deliberately 'mistaking' what's being said...

Last edited by Heavens1; 11-16-16 at 07:31 PM.
    11-16-16 02:58 PM
    I've got Orbot and Orfox working properly - Awesome!

(still can't post a screenshot)

but it seems that neither the native bb browser or the android browser (thanks cobalt232) will work with Tor - they won't even connect to torproject.org when Orbot is running yet I can seemingly browse the internet normally otherwise (using carrier assigned IP address).

Orfox is ok generally but I'd prefer a full featured browser when using Tor, does anybody know which browsers on BBWorld/Amazon appstore (or even in playstore) will work with Orbot on BB10?

thanks

MJS

Posted via CB10
    11-17-16 07:06 PM
    The Classic has DTEK built right in, enhancing the 'root of trust' that each genuine BlackBerry has in its possession...

Posted via CB10
    01-25-18 07:59 AM
    The Classic has DTEK built right in, enhancing the 'root of trust' that each genuine BlackBerry has in its possession...

Posted via CB10
    What?
    01-25-18 08:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    No?
    01-25-18 12:47 PM
    No?
    I've always remembered DTEK appearing with BBAndroid or so I thought.
    01-25-18 01:15 PM