Good evening everyone, my name is Alessandra, writting from my new BlackBerry Classic.

I got my BB yesterday and I love it, but I'm having some issues trting to get some functional apps like google maps, or apps that I need like Wallapop, Aliexpress or eBay.

I'm really getting mad trying to install some aps.

Btw if ther's a chat group of BB I would love to join.

Thank you!
    11-01-19 12:24 PM
    Good evening everyone, my name is Alessandra, writting from my new BlackBerry Classic.

I got my BB yesterday and I love it, but I'm having some issues trting to get some functional apps like google maps, or apps that I need like Wallapop, Aliexpress or eBay.

Thank you!
    The vast majority of Android apps won't work on BB10 devices, as its version of Android (inside of a runtime no less) is from 2012 (v4.3).

Best source for Android apps is Yalp (a Google Play Store client), but even though it limits what you will see to those apps compatible with Android 4.3, only about half of even those will work on BB10.

https://f-droid.org/repo/com.github....lpstore_46.apk
    11-01-19 01:13 PM
    Because you are new here on CB, you may be unaware that all BB10 devices (Classic included) are hindered by the ancient android runtime (ver 4.3) in these devices. This is the reason why you cannot install and run many apps you are trying. For Google Maps you can use the mobile website and create an icon for your desktop OR you could download and install GPS Map for Google Maps which is found in BlackBerry World. There are also some android mapping apps you can try such as Magic Earth in the Amazon App Store or Maps.Me available from the website or in various android app stores (Yalp, APKmirror etc).

For Ebay you will probably have to use the mobile web site (again with a shortcut to your desktop). Not sure about the other 2 apps you mention but you could try https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/alibab...8-1-2-release/ . Try the Arm7 version. For other apps you may want to check apkmirror site for older versions that support android 4.3 or older. At this point it becomes trial and error and you may or may not find one that works.

You will find, unfortunately, that your Classic will be a communications device and not so much an android app/video/media device.
    11-01-19 01:17 PM
    Hey Alesandrra! All apps you need is on this websites and apps :
    Amazon Appstore
    BlackBerry App World (WARNING : 2 MONTHS TILL DEFUNCT!)
    ApkPure
    Google
    11-02-19 03:15 AM
    So many "GPS Maps" entries in BlackBerry world! Which would you recommend?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-19 02:29 PM

Thank you!
    Hey Alessandra,

It may be helpful to explain some basics about Blackberry 10. Blackberry 10 is a different OS than Android, made by Blackberry Limited a number of years ago. It is VERY smooth and has a number of great native apps, but unfortunately did not have some well-known apps developed for it.

BB10 also contains a set of files known as a runtime based on Android 4.3. This runtime allows for some Android apps to run successfully on BB10 devices, helping to fill the app gap.

Native apps are usually preferred to Android apps as they run much more smoothly, and despite what you will hear from some on CB there are still many great native apps available. Native apps are generally installed from Blackberry World (which will live on into 2020, statements to the contrary notwithstanding) but can also be sideloaded using programs known as Sachesi or Darcy's Blackberry Tools.

Android apps can usually be located on APKPure or sometimes other sites. There is a thread with links to known compatible Android apps on the Blackberry 10 apps forum on Crackberry. I recommend against using Yalp as it will mislead you sometimes into believing an app is not available for Blackberry 10 when it simply isn't available on the Google Play store.

Let me know about any specific apps or types of apps (ebook readers, etc.) you might need and I'll be happy to provide recommendations or any other assistance you might require. Ben xfg is another good resource, as are a few others here.

Welcome to Blackberry 10! We're happy to have you!
    11-11-19 02:24 PM
    Hey Alessandra,

It may be helpful to explain some basics about Blackberry 10. Blackberry 10 is a different OS than Android, made by Blackberry Limited a number of years ago. It is VERY smooth and has a number of great native apps, but unfortunately did not have some well-known apps developed for it.

BB10 also contains a set of files known as a runtime based on Android 4.3. This runtime allows for some Android apps to run successfully on BB10 devices, helping to fill the app gap.

Native apps are usually preferred to Android apps as they run much more smoothly, and despite what you will hear from some on CB there are still many great native apps available. Native apps are generally installed from Blackberry World (which will live on into 2020, statements to the contrary notwithstanding) but can also be sideloaded using programs known as Sachesi or Darcy's Blackberry Tools.

Android apps can usually be located on APKPure or sometimes other sites. There is a thread with links to known compatible Android apps on the Blackberry 10 apps forum on Crackberry. I recommend against using Yalp as it will mislead you sometimes into believing an app is not available for Blackberry 10 when it simply isn't available on the Google Play store.

Let me know about any specific apps or types of apps (ebook readers, etc.) you might need and I'll be happy to provide recommendations or any other assistance you might require. Ben xfg is another good resource, as are a few others here.

Welcome to Blackberry 10! We're happy to have you!
    Wouldn’t it make sense to use Yalp first because of the GPS as known entity that attempts some level of app screening? Then if not available, different apk store?

I’m not saying one instead of the other just a prioritization to maintain as many scans as possible for malware threats? It’s a logic flow process to me.
    BBW native or BBW apk first, Yalp, then APKPure you mention for instance?
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-11-19 03:03 PM
    Wouldn’t it make sense to use Yalp first because of the GPS as known entity that attempts some level of app screening? Then if not available, different apk store?
    This is exactly what I do on the odd occasion I need an android app for my Passport.
    11-11-19 03:10 PM
    This is exactly what I do on the odd occasion I need an android app for my Passport.
    Well if you do it, so it must be ;-D
    11-11-19 03:12 PM
    Well if you do it, so it must be ;-D
    I have a sneaking suspicion TT may beg to differ.
    11-11-19 03:16 PM

I’m not saying one instead of the other just a prioritization to maintain as many scans as possible for malware threats? It’s a logic flow process to me.
    That would be the best practice for sure. No question.

One can argue that going outside of Play Store and choosing an older app that was intentionally deprecated by its own developer would not be a wise choice for the vast majority of people.
    11-11-19 03:17 PM
    choosing an older app that was intentionally deprecated by its own developer would not be a wise choice for the vast majority of people.
    Probably but imo it really depends on the app itself. If it's linked in any way to payment/sensitive info/banking/paypal etc then probably not a good idea for an older version. Here is an example where (again in my opinion) "older" really doesn't matter. I have an "all in one" Brother printer and use an older version of Brother iPrint&Scan android apk because the newest does not work. It does everything I need it to and I use it often on my Passport. Nothing wrong with using older versions of these type of apps.
    11-11-19 03:25 PM
    Probably but imo it really depends on the app itself. If it's linked in any way to payment/sensitive info/banking/paypal etc then probably not a good idea for an older version. Here is an example where (again in my opinion) "older" really doesn't matter. I have an "all in one" Brother printer and use an older version of Brother iPrint&Scan android apk because the newest does not work. It does everything I need it to and I use it often on my Passport. Nothing wrong with using older versions of these type of apps.
    I get that. It's just that many people don't have enough experience to correctly evaluate those kinds of security issues.
    11-11-19 03:32 PM

One can argue that going outside of Play Store and choosing an older app that was intentionally deprecated by its own developer would not be a wise choice for the vast majority of people.
    For me it’s the impractical aspects of this issue with these apks that I logic fault attempting BB10 use.

BBAndroid allows me to access more if not most recent apks for Android ecosystem which should usually mean the more if not most secure as well. Similar to logic process for using BB10 and loading native apps from BBW first if BBW is still monitored from security perspective. I literally removed all the apks from my last two active BB10 hardware.

Originally, it was for space and performance reasons as the Q5 and Z3 are spec challenged to begin with. I feel with BB10 running any old 4.3 apks like driving a Brinks Truck and leaving running with the keys inside, all the doors unlocked and open and the money crew all going inside the branch on break together.
    11-11-19 03:39 PM

I would argue not, because GPS actively cannot effectively screen for malware, as has been demonstrated over and over again. Combine that with the misleading impression that apps may not be available at all because Yalp/GPS won't show older versions and that argues against trying Yalp first for me, simply as a matter of efficiency.

However, if one actively knows that Yalp/GPS may not have a version and then checks other app stores/repositories, yes, that might work. But that's not a viable/efficient/easy solution for the new BB10 user, which is why I don't recommend it.
    11-11-19 03:44 PM
    I have a sneaking suspicion TT may beg to differ.
    I would never dispute such a respected soul as brookie's app hunting practices....but I would point out that brookie is a long-standing BB10 user and well-versed in the various options available.
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-11-19 03:45 PM

One could also argue, correctly, that apps hosted in the Play Store contain tons of malware and are likely to cause the very issues you claim are avoided by using the Play Store.

However, the best thing for one to argue is that if one is concerned with helping BB10 users make the most of the platform, advocating a store where they can't find apps that they need is not the best practice.
    11-11-19 03:46 PM
    I feel with BB10 running any old 4.3 apks like driving a Brinks Truck and leaving running with the keys inside, all the doors unlocked and open and the money crew all going inside the branch on break together.
    Again, it really depends on the app. In my example above, the older apk actually works just as well on my Passport as the newer version works on my android phone. The newer version actually has nagging adverts with adware bloat telling me to use only certified cartridges. Sometimes we really are just being inundated with bloatware and unnecessary "improvements" with these updates. I mean how much can you really improve a printing/scanning app that has gone through about 30 updates already. I see some of these updates as simply "keeping the devs at a job".
    11-11-19 03:47 PM
    I would argue not, because GPS actively cannot effectively screen for malware, as has been demonstrated over and over again. Combine that with the misleading impression that apps may not be available at all because Yalp/GPS won't show older versions and that argues against trying Yalp first for me, simply as a matter of efficiency.

However, if one actively knows that Yalp/GPS may not have a version and then checks other app stores/repositories, yes, that might work. But that's not a viable/efficient/easy solution for the new BB10 user, which is why I don't recommend it.
    Seriously, let’s take a mile high viewpoint. If single carrying BB10 hardware, you have to have a narrowly designed footprint not utilizing certain modern conveniences of smartphones using BB10 hardware. The necessary sacrifices and commitment do come at the cost of some efficiency.

Other big supporters of BB10 will acquiesce on that point relying on laptops, tablets or different mobile OS for certain functionality.

I believe the analogy is his Z10 is a steak knife or something like that. BB10 security does sacrifice efficient choice to be effective.
    11-11-19 03:52 PM
    Seriously, let’s take a mile high viewpoint. If single carrying BB10 hardware, you have to have a narrowly designed footprint not utilizing certain modern conveniences of smartphones using BB10 hardware. The necessary sacrifices and commitment do come at the cost of some efficiency.

Other big supporters of BB10 will acquiesce on that point relying on laptops, tablets or different mobile OS for certain functionality.

I believe the analogy is his Z10 is a steak knife or something like that. BB10 security does sacrifice efficient choice to be effective.
    I'd dispute that argument, in terms of the actual use of the OS. You can be efficient and still use a BB10 device; you just need to know how. The types of commentary people get on CB generally doesn't help, since it's disjointed, but I think more and more people are starting to be able to see through the haze and negativity and know where to go for actual BB10 assistance as opposed to BB commentary.
    11-11-19 03:57 PM
    One could also argue, correctly, that apps hosted in the Play Store contain tons of malware and are likely to cause the very issues you claim are avoided by using the Play Store.

However, the best thing for one to argue is that if one is concerned with helping BB10 users make the most of the platform, advocating a store where they can't find apps that they need is not the best practice.
    Play Store still has vastly better malware and virus sniffing software than anyone else - hands down no comparison.

If an app isn't available there, it really shouldn't be used anyway - meeting both the developers' wishes and the concern over security issues.
    11-11-19 06:29 PM
    Play Store still has vastly better malware and virus sniffing software than anyone else - hands down no comparison.

If an app isn't available there, it really shouldn't be used anyway - meeting both the developers' wishes and the concern over security issues.
    So let me just confirm this--it is your contention that if an app is not available in the Google Play Store that the developer wants no one to download or use it?
    11-11-19 06:52 PM
    So let me just confirm this--it is your contention that if an app is not available in the Google Play Store that the developer wants no one to download or use it?
    Of course. Otherwise they would leave old versions available for old Android versions. But they are so out of date, that they no longer want to support it and/or it doesn't meet Play Store's enhanced security requirements.
    Last edited by conite; 11-11-19 at 08:56 PM.
    11-11-19 06:58 PM
    Of course. Otherwise they would leave old versions available for old Android versions. But they are so old, that they no longer want to support it and/or it doesn't meet Play Store's enhanced security requirements.
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/andro...t-google-play/

#2. I suppose the developers of Fortinite don't want anyone to play their game then. Too bad for them--their plan of not having the app on the Play Store has clearly backfired!

#5. Amazon clearly doesn't want anyone to use their App Store. You're right.

Yet again, the evidence is against you.
    11-11-19 07:01 PM
    OP,

The best advice I could give you is just download all the Android apps you need from the Yalp store (which conite linked above) and don't even sign in to your BBID so that if BlackBerry ltd decides to pull the plug on the BB ID/ BB Protect servers in 2020, your phone won't be a brick.

Without a BB ID signed in on the phone, you won't be able to access BlackBerry World, but honestly, you won't be missing out on much.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-19 08:11 PM
32 12