Hey all, first time poster on CB. I bought a classic from att 3 days ago and have several questions that someone on here may be able to assist with. There's plenty to like about this device (battery is good, screen is really nice, keyboard rocks as usual), but there's some niggling little quirks that are really causing trouble, and since app support/customization for bb10 is almost nonexistent, I need some help...

1.) Is there a way, by OS settings or some app I'm unaware of, to completely disable the lock screen? I used to have a Bold 9900 that would wake up back to whatever screen (usually a text message conversation) was active before the display timed out (after 30 seconds). I'd have the Bold laying on my desk next to my computer, a text message would ding, I would simply press any key, and wham, I'm right back to where I was before the device timed out. Why does the Classic, and presumably BB10 in its entirety, always revert to the stupid lock screen? The swipe-up gesture is an added kick in the belly, too. How is this sequence of moves supposed to be efficient? Why can't the phone just wake up to whatever app, screen or task it was doing before it timed out?

2.) The Hub...sorry, but I'm one of the Luddites who thinks this entire Hub thing was a solution to a problem nobody ever had. On my Bold, my home screen was only 5 icons on the bottom: text messages, then email account #1, camera, email account #2, then pictures. When a text arrived, simply touch the text message icon; when email for the first or second account arrived, touch the respective icons. What was so confusing about this that RIM decided to cobble together this hub thing? Aside from the overall obfuscated manner of it all, how do I easily and clearly differentiate email account #1 and email account #2? I send emails from both accounts all the time, and as the hub displays them currently, it's VERY difficult to discern which account is which because all the emails are jumbled together. I've turned off everything in the hub so it ONLY displays emails, but this still doesn't help me with not being able to easily tell which account is which. Is there a way to have account #1 separated from account #2 with a line or something? The thin color strips on the sides are useless, by the way.

3.) Is there a way to disable the stupid hub arrow in the bottom left corner of the text message screen? I keep accidentally scrolling to it with the trackpad because it's in a terrible position there.

If anyone can lend a hand here, I'm very thankful for it!
    02-24-15 06:54 PM
    Here's my hand: go buy another Bold
    02-24-15 07:10 PM
    ok n I will try....some pics would have nice just to make just to the understanding....

edit....I was too slow to respond some other have done it...
    Last edited by Alain_A; 02-24-15 at 07:40 PM.
    02-24-15 07:13 PM
    To answer question one...I use the lift to wake option. It basically unlocks the phone as soon as pick up from a flat surface. It works were really well. U can find it in settings - advanced interactions(I think).

Hope this helps.
    02-24-15 07:25 PM
    Hey all, first time poster on CB. I bought a classic from att 3 days ago and have several questions that someone on here may be able to assist with. There's plenty to like about this device (battery is good, screen is really nice, keyboard rocks as usual), but there's some niggling little quirks that are really causing trouble, and since app support/customization for bb10 is almost nonexistent, I need some help...

1.) Is there a way, by OS settings or some app I'm unaware of, to completely disable the lock screen? I used to have a Bold 9900 that would wake up back to whatever screen (usually a text message conversation) was active before the display timed out (after 30 seconds). I'd have the Bold laying on my desk next to my computer, a text message would ding, I would simply press any key, and wham, I'm right back to where I was before the device timed out. Why does the Classic, and presumably BB10 in its entirety, always revert to the stupid lock screen? The swipe-up gesture is an added kick in the belly, too. How is this sequence of moves supposed to be efficient? Why can't the phone just wake up to whatever app, screen or task it was doing before it timed out?
    It isn't. You've just identified one of many new "features" of BB10 that make life harder and take longer than with BBOS on a 9900. It's like they had meetings to figure out how to make the phone less efficient. However, there are some ways around it..sort of. If you use a case it will turn on to what ever the last screen was when you take it out of the case. There is a setting to let the lock button bypass the lock screen as well. And, if you install a popup app....while it won't actually light up your screen, another product of their "let's make this phone less efficient" meeting, you just either flip over your phone or pull from case or pocket or swipe and the popup is right there with the message.

2.) The Hub...sorry, but I'm one of the Luddites who thinks this entire Hub thing was a solution to a problem nobody ever had. On my Bold, my home screen was only 5 icons on the bottom: text messages, then email account #1, camera, email account #2, then pictures. When a text arrived, simply touch the text message icon; when email for the first or second account arrived, touch the respective icons. What was so confusing about this that RIM decided to cobble together this hub thing? Aside from the overall obfuscated manner of it all, how do I easily and clearly differentiate email account #1 and email account #2? I send emails from both accounts all the time, and as the hub displays them currently, it's VERY difficult to discern which account is which because all the emails are jumbled together. I've turned off everything in the hub so it ONLY displays emails, but this still doesn't help me with not being able to easily tell which account is which. Is there a way to have account #1 separated from account #2 with a line or something? The thin color strips on the sides are useless, by the way.
    The hub was also in your 9900, they just called it a universal inbox. Your method of touching the screen when a message arrives works just as well now as your older "choose the right icon" method, except now you simply go to the hub all the time and the most recent message is right there. No need to guess which icon to touch (if more than one has a star). It's actually WAY more efficient that the old way you did it where you are constantly in and out of various accounts. You now have access to all those accounts in one list.
    No different than if you were using Outlook on the desktop where all messages can go to one inbox.

You can differentiate the accounts by color coding them. Why do you say that's useless? That's exactly what you just requested.
    In your hub view, different email accounts can have different color bands on the edge. Just curious whey you even care though. It's a message, you reply to it. Why do you really care which account it's from? Does that have some impact on how you reply or something?

3.) Is there a way to disable the stupid hub arrow in the bottom left corner of the text message screen? I keep accidentally scrolling to it with the trackpad because it's in a terrible position there.

If anyone can lend a hand here, I'm very thankful for it!
    Disable the back button? Uh, no, you can't do that. Perhaps just learn how to use your phone better.....practice. Why is the bottom left a "terrible place"? It's much better than other phones that put it on the top so you can't reach it unless using two hands.
    werkregen and DeliFresser like this.
    02-24-15 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the reply, mate. Yeah the lock screen is infuriating... They should just make it optional; if you want it to always appear, fine. If not, disable it. Job done.

The color coding COULD be really useful except the little strip is so narrow it's not obvious enough to jump out right away as to which account it belongs to. And yes, the two email accounts ARE important because one is my personal account and the second one is my "business" account. Again, being able to customize this would be really nice. For a phone that can do all these things so well, it hardly seems like a stretch for RIM to add a few more lines of coding and give us a handful more of tweaks.

The back button is just placed poorly on that screen. They should've placed it in the top left corner where the cursor wouldn't normally naturally go to when you're clicking the text field to write a message. It's a moot point though, as there's obviously nothing that can be done about it...

Anyway, thanks again!
    02-24-15 07:44 PM
    And thanks bbdj92651 for that incredibly helpful answer.
    werkregen likes this.
    02-24-15 07:45 PM
    the two email accounts ARE important because one is my personal account and the second one is my "business" account. Again, being able to customize this would be really nice
    Sure, I get that. Most people probably have something similar. But, my question is, why do you care which account it came from? If you get a message labeled "tomorrows meeting" that comes from your boss, and you get another message from your wife that says "family reunion", why do you really care which account either came from? It seems like the sender and content would make that pretty obvious anyway. You will reply to either of them with the appropriate response. When you reply to either, they go out via the account they came from unless you say otherwise.
    02-24-15 07:50 PM
    And thanks bbdj92651 for that incredibly helpful answer.
    No prob! As one who "gets" the stupid lock screen and the belly kicked swipe up and the stupid hub arrow (Cuz I am stupid and inefficient, of course!) I thought I'd solve all your problems because after 3 days you still didn't open Hub Settings but came here and called the rest of us stupid and inefficient.
    02-24-15 07:56 PM
    While in the HUB swipe to the right. It will list all your accounts. Pick the one that you desire to view. Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:07 PM
    I respect your opinions but I just can't agree. How is it a fix to something that wasn't broken? All my messages in one place? That sounds perfect. Why have to go to 3 or 4 apps to do what you can do in in one "app"? Why do I care if people decide to use text or email or bbm to contact me? They contact me how they want and I contact them back the same way. The hub takes the burden out of it.

I love it. Stick with it. You'll get the hang of it.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 09:43 PM
    As far as the lock screen issue. I believe you can turn that off in settings / display section. Bypasses full lock screen with no apps open. Goes right to app screen.
    02-25-15 07:09 AM