Hi,

I'm currently having a difficult time deciding between the Blackberry Classic or Passport and hoping the wonderful Crackberry Community can give me a hand.

What I like about the Classic is the keyboard and relative size of the device. What I like about the Passport is the screen and processor. But what I really need is a reliable device which gets better overall reception and call quality than my Nexus5. The primary use of the device will be obviously Email, BBM, GChat.

The only apps I use on my Android are Pocket, Feedly, Instagram and Buffer. I know I can sideload some of these apps but not sure about their performance on the Classic or Passport. Anyone have any feedback?

I don't play games on my phone and if I do it's on my Android tablet. The only other must have for me is Turn by Turn navigation as I tend to travel a lot around the world and need to get to remote filming locations. Does BB10 support turn-by-turn? If so how is the general performance of the maps application.

Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    02-27-15 01:57 PM
    Do yourself a huge favour and get the passport, its perfect for what you asked for, its a beast, i love mine.
    02-27-15 02:11 PM
    Wait until Monday! MWC will shed new light on BlackBerry new device

Z10
    02-27-15 02:11 PM
    Tough question...tougher answer.

I'm fortunate enough to have both devices and the core reason I go back to the Classic over the Passport is size and camera shutter speed. Other than that, the typing, screen size, battery, running native or Android apps and the crazy attention I get with a passport....its my daily driver. #Passport
    02-27-15 02:13 PM
    Typing on passport? I would go.woth classic.for typing. It's perfect.

You are good on apps. Gnewsreader is an amazing feedly client, buffer seems to be in by world and there are 2 instagram clients from 3Rd parties ( you can also sideload)

No clear winner here. I'm verizon so I have to go classic but it would be a tough choice for sure. Did you play with the phones yet?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:44 PM
    Typing on passport? I would go.woth classic.for typing. It's perfect.

You are good on apps. Gnewsreader is an amazing feedly client, buffer seems to be in by world and there are 2 instagram clients from 3Rd parties ( you can also sideload)

No clear winner here. I'm verizon so I have to go classic but it would be a tough choice for sure. Did you play with the phones yet?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry for the typos haha. I'm on my z30 and classic coming Monday.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:45 PM
    Hi,

I'm currently having a difficult time deciding between the Blackberry Classic or Passport and hoping the wonderful Crackberry Community can give me a hand.

What I like about the Classic is the keyboard and relative size of the device. What I like about the Passport is the screen and processor. But what I really need is a reliable device which gets better overall reception and call quality than my Nexus5. The primary use of the device will be obviously Email, BBM, GChat.

The only apps I use on my Android are Pocket, Feedly, Instagram and Buffer. I know I can sideload some of these apps but not sure about their performance on the Classic or Passport. Anyone have any feedback?

I don't play games on my phone and if I do it's on my Android tablet. The only other must have for me is Turn by Turn navigation as I tend to travel a lot around the world and need to get to remote filming locations. Does BB10 support turn-by-turn? If so how is the general performance of the maps application.

Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hey there. I also own both of the devices (unlocked Passport, and AT&T branded Classic). I use the Passport as my daily driver, and I use the Classic as my backup.

I did purchase the Passport first, and had it for a few months prior to purchasing the Classic, so I'm a bit biased. It is most definitely snappier, the screen is larger, and I find the keyboard easier to type on than the Classic. I can see, however, how one could fall in love with the Classic keyboard.

The Classic is slower loading up apps, but not in the stuttering, laggy kind of way. It does run buttery smooth. But, the main advantage I've found is the Classic's size. It does feel good in hand, and it can be operated one handed. Unless your hands are huge, the Passport is most definitely a two handed device. For some, the inconvenience of the Passport's size is enough to have them go with the Classic. The Passport most definitely is a wide phone.

I use Google Maps (installed via Snap) on both devices, and it works just fine on both phones. GPS signal and battery life is pretty solid on both devices. Call quality has been impeccable for me on both devices.

For me, it was snappier performance, bigger screen, and novelty (the Passport really is the most unique device on the market) vs. the ability to use the device one handed, and just the ergonomic design of the Classic.
    02-27-15 03:07 PM
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have a HTC M8 which is a great device, but I miss the keyboard experience and seriously considering coming back to a BlackBerry (Passport or Classic) even though I am not their so called target audience. Most of the apps that I use on a daily basis are available on the BB. Others I won't miss. Anyhow, my questions are concerning the quality of the music player and a good workout band that would work with either of these phones. Thanks.
    02-27-15 03:26 PM
    Regarding navigation around the world.... keep in mind that even if you sideload Google maps you can't log in so you can't save maps for offline viewing... BlackBerry maps are no good in my opinion and doesn't exist in many countries
    02-27-15 03:30 PM
    "What I like about the Classic is the keyboard and relative size of the device. What I like about the Passport is the screen and processor."
    I had the Passport for 5 months and decided now to get the Classic because of the size and the keyboard. Have it for one week now and don't regret it, form factor and keyboard are more important to me than screen size. The processor is good enough for BB 10 in my opinion.
    I feared that battery life could become a problem with its 1.000mAh smaller battery in comparison to the Passport but it is fine for me.

As a conclusion: I loved everything about the PP but I need a phone that can be used one-handed if needed.
    02-27-15 04:22 PM
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm still undecided but leaning more towards the Blackberry Classic.

Thanks again!
    03-02-15 07:03 AM
    I got the Passport first but switched to Classic in the end. Like many other people here, I realized having a phone I'm comfortable with is more important than the higher specs of the Passport.

The trackpad also provides a lot more control than the touch keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 12:02 PM