Slagman,

Excellent review! Thank you.

Can you answer this, please?

Does the Classic do copy/paste (Alt+trackpad etc) like the Bold did? Are you content with how it works? Taking mere milliseconds to select, copy, paste...

Also, are you completely satisfied with the Send/End buttons?

Those are my two most needed, and used, features.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 08:37 PM
    Hey Slagman,

Very nice review - you did a detailed and fact filled deep dive into all the critical areas where people have the most questions.

Great job - and thanks for doing it!

Z10 - 10.3.1.1151 w/996 radio
    12-30-14 09:25 PM
    Slagman,

Excellent review! Thank you.

Can you answer this, please?

Does the Classic do copy/paste (Alt+trackpad etc) like the Bold did? Are you content with how it works? Taking mere milliseconds to select, copy, paste...

Also, are you completely satisfied with the Send/End buttons?

Those are my two most needed, and used, features.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Alt-trackpad does not work, it is now you press the BB button twice after you highlight. I actually like this method. Not quite the same, but it works. So far the call end button hasn't failed on me yet, but we have found one specific situation where it would not end a call, but it's a fairly specific situation but I hope they fix it soon. It's still definitely 100x better than any phone without those buttons.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-30-14 09:42 PM
    Thanks!
    I can answer this one.

Alt + trackpad up/down sort of still jumps to top and bottom of text area, it's a bit jumpy.
    Alt + trackpad left/right does not work.
    Alt + trackpad in and Shift + trackpad in does not work.
    12-30-14 09:46 PM
    Do have the Coles Notes??? Just mess'n very nice, detailed review.

Executive Producer of the Peevishlicious Crew via my Canadian Passport
    12-30-14 09:57 PM
    Alt-trackpad does not work, it is now you press the BB button twice after you highlight. I actually like this method. Not quite the same, but it works. So far the call end button hasn't failed on me yet, but we have found one specific situation where it would not end a call, but it's a fairly specific situation but I hope they fix it soon. It's still definitely 100x better than any phone without those buttons.

So how do you get the text "highlighted?"

I just tried copy/paste on my old Bold. Man, that was phenomenal! Less than a second to highlight and copy. I still have no idea how any previous bbos users can dismiss the toolbelt. It is probably the most ingenious smartphone creation.

Why BlackBerry insisted on watering its uses down is bamboozling.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 10:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Shift + trackpad left/right, and up/down if you want to select lines of text.
    12-30-14 10:04 PM

I just tried copy/paste on my old Bold. Man, that was phenomenal! Less than a second to highlight and copy. I still have no idea how any previous bbos users can dismiss the toolbelt. It is probably the most ingenious smartphone creation.

Posted via CB10
    You highlight the same way as anything else, hold shift and move the cursor to highlight, then press the BB key twice, then go to where you want to paste it and press the BB key twice. It's actually quite fast, doable one-handed (except the highlight part), and you don't have to remember which is for copy and which is for paste, it's all just the BB button. So I like it.

12-30-14 10:05 PM
    Ah, ok.

Thanks Slag and Bumpy

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 10:09 PM
    best phone ever!
    12-31-14 12:51 AM
    Cool.
    12-31-14 12:56 AM
    So, after a good week of using the phone...
    Great review! Really detailed and exactly what I was looking for .
    12-31-14 05:08 AM
    I hope sprint will get this phone.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    12-31-14 06:39 AM
    Thank you for the review.

Once available i need to try the Classic to see if it can replace my Z10, the Q10 was a good candidate, but my big thumbs don't like the Q10 PKB, the Classic is 6mm larger and maybe the PKB will be a little better.
    01-01-15 01:14 AM
    Thank you for the review.

Once available i need to try the Classic to see if it can replace my Z10, the Q10 was a good candidate, but my big thumbs don't like the Q10 PKB, the Classic is 6mm larger and maybe the PKB will be a little better.
    Your thumbs likely are larger than mine, but I can definitely confirm that the Classic's keyboard is easier to type on than the Q10. Whether it's enough for it to be good for you, you'll have to try it out to see.
    01-01-15 02:16 AM
    Can you please tell me how does the trackpad work in BBM? Can you select emoticons with the trackpad like you could on BBOS? And what about whatsapp?

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    01-01-15 06:46 AM
    Can you please tell me how does the trackpad work in BBM? Can you select emoticons with the trackpad like you could on BBOS? And what about whatsapp?

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    Like when typing a comment to someone, if you can select the smiley face pictures with the trackpad? Yes, you can. I don't know about whatsapp, I don't use that or any program that would pull all of my contacts without giving me control over who is added or who knows I have it, etc...

My typically overly long review of the Classic, lol.-img_20150101_110143.png

01-01-15 10:02 AM
    Like when typing a comment to someone, if you can select the smiley face pictures with the trackpad? Yes, you can. I don't know about whatsapp, I don't use that or any program that would pull all of my contacts without giving me control over who is added or who knows I have it, etc...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150101_110143.png 
Views:	809 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	324598

Thanks

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    01-01-15 10:52 AM
    Its a fantastic review- I've saved it for the tricks you disclosed- thanks so much !
    01-01-15 11:23 AM
    Thanks, big clarification on blend there, that's really helpful. So in other words, if your phone is powered down or has no service (wifi/cellular), you won't get anything on blend?

And yes, wondering if sms/mms can be sent over wifi with BB10 or if it still has to go through a cellular data network. Again, Yosemite allows you to send both iMessage and plain sms so I'm guessing the technology is there....? Maybe just wishful thinking.
    A little late here, but it should be clear that for Yosemite to send sms/mms via the handoff/continuity feature the iPhone must still have cell service signal.

In other words, if you lose cell signal on your iPhone, you will not be able to send SMS/mms using your mac laptop, regardless of whether you have a wifi connection (unless you're with tmobile and have wifi calling). Apple doesn't magically pipe in your cell service via wifi.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...os-x-yosemite/

"One of Yosemite�s best features is its ability to make calls and send texts via the iPhone. This is not done through iMessage and Facetime (though it still can be), but instead through your phone�s voice and data plan."

(Note that imessages still work without a cellphone signal since they are routed through a data connection, including WiFi. This would be the same when using BBM and BBM voice calls).

At the end of the day, Blend and Apple's solution are two very different things. Apple's is a cloud based synchronization system that transfers actual between enabled devices, such that the data actually resides on each enabled device.

Blend is literally a terminal window into your BlackBerry. It basically establishes a network connection directly between the laptop/tablet and the service running on the BlackBerry device, and then just presents what's on the device. When you terminate the connection, there is nothing left on the laptop/tablet (unless you manually downloaded files from blend onto a local folder).

Of course you can establish the Blend connection and see what's in the phone, even if the phone does not have cell service, but you won't be able to transmit anything that would normally require a cell service connection (calls, sms, mms).

Now more on topic: Excellent review, which hits lots of the hesitation points by anyone considering the move from a Bold (and even a Q10)!

Posted via CB10
    t.c.3 likes this.
    01-01-15 11:33 AM
    A little late here, but it should be clear that for Yosemite to send sms/mms via the handoff/continuity feature the iPhone must still have cell service signal.

In other words, if you lose cell signal on your iPhone, you will not be able to send SMS/mms using your mac laptop, regardless of whether you have a wifi connection (unless you're with tmobile and have wifi calling). Apple doesn't magically pipe in your cell service via wifi.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...os-x-yosemite/

"One of Yosemite�s best features is its ability to make calls and send texts via the iPhone. This is not done through iMessage and Facetime (though it still can be), but instead through your phone�s voice and data plan."

(Note that imessages still work without a cellphone signal since they are routed through a data connection, including WiFi. This would be the same when using BBM and BBM voice calls).

At the end of the day, Blend and Apple's solution are two very different things. Apple's is a cloud based synchronization system that transfers actual between enabled devices, such that the data actually resides on each enabled device.

Blend is literally a terminal window into your BlackBerry. It basically establishes a network connection directly between the laptop/tablet and the service running on the BlackBerry device, and then just presents what's on the device. When you terminate the connection, there is nothing left on the laptop/tablet (unless you manually downloaded files from blend onto a local folder).

Of course you can establish the Blend connection and see what's in the phone, even if the phone does not have cell service, but you won't be able to transmit anything that would normally require a cell service connection (calls, sms, mms).

Now more on topic: Excellent review, which hits lots of the hesitation points by anyone considering the move from a Bold (and even a Q10)!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for clarifying the way iOS does it as well. I'm not familiar with their latest versions, so I couldn't make that comparison.

01-01-15 08:53 PM
    Great review Slagman!!! I have read it a few times already & probably will a few more times.
    Thank you
    01-02-15 11:35 AM
    Great review. I've been thinking about getting the Classic as my daily phone, keeping my Passport for the weekends. I miss the one hand use convenience of my old Curves. I really could have used the Classic yesterday when I was sitting in a several mile long traffic jam (due to a wreck several miles ahead) trying to type emails while holding my Passport with one hand and the steering wheel with the other inching forward. Kind of a pain.

I do have a question about the Blue Classic vs the Black. The toolbelt on the Blue looks to be separate buttons (have only seen in pics) where the Black version that I played with at the store I played with it the toolbelt is a continuous piece of plastic with buttons underneath. Does the Blue version have individual buttons?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    09-02-15 05:30 AM
    Great review. I've been thinking about getting the Classic as my daily phone, keeping my Passport for the weekends. I miss the one hand use convenience of my old Curves. I really could have used the Classic yesterday when I was sitting in a several mile long traffic jam (due to a wreck several miles ahead) trying to type emails while holding my Passport with one hand and the steering wheel with the other inching forward. Kind of a pain.

I do have a question about the Blue Classic vs the Black. The toolbelt on the Blue looks to be separate buttons (have only seen in pics) where the Black version that I played with at the store I played with it the toolbelt is a continuous piece of plastic with buttons underneath. Does the Blue version have individual buttons?

While I agree with your comment about wanting a device with one handed usage, I disagree with you wanting to use it while attempting to drive. Put the phone down and keep your eyes on the road!! Even stop and go can present obstacles that need your constant attention.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 06:43 AM
    While I agree with your comment about wanting a device with one handed usage, I disagree with you wanting to use it while attempting to drive. Put the phone down and keep your eyes on the road!! Even stop and go can present obstacles that need your constant attention.

Posted via CB10
    Did you not read my post? I was sitting in a traffic jam miles long, not going anywhere fast. Just inching a foot ever few seconds. I was emailing work and others that I was going to be late.

09-02-15 07:46 AM
53 123