So, after a good week of using the phone, I've finally sat down to write a review for it. And this is the reason why I don't write professionally, I tend to write way too much, lol. Anyway, I posted it as a review on Amazon, so I'll just link it here. And to be clear, even though I gave it a 5 star rating, I would actually give it 4/5 because of it having 3 year-old hardware, but for the sake of the sales of the device on Amazon, I always give the phones I review (as long as it's one I like) 5 stars to kind of off-set the trolls that post 1-star reviews who never even bought or tried the device:

Amazon.com: Demon_Mustang's review of BlackBerry Classic Smartphone - Factory Un...
    12-30-14 02:21 AM
    I skip this year and in autumn I will invest in new devices. Sow till then maybe they will produce a improved passport or a 2015 classic one. If not one of them iPhone 6 write on me.
    12-30-14 04:13 AM
    An excellent, in depth review. Unlike other reviews, it lets people know the capabilities of the phone. Thank you.
    12-30-14 04:47 AM
    Very nice review..thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 06:00 AM
    Long. But enjoyed it nevertheless. Thanks

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-30-14 07:10 AM
    Awesome, can't wait to get my hands on a classic after the new year. Slagman, you talked about blend in your review, I have a couple of quick questiosn about text messages/Blend that may be more for a BB10 forum but since they're about the classic and you're usually quick to respond so I'll ask them here.
    Currently on iPhone, if my cell service is bad, iMessages still go through via wifi, and both iMessage and SMS, as well as phone calls, can now be transmitted over wifi on OSX Yosemite. Does blend allow the classic to send messages over wifi from the phone, just from blend on a Mac or PC, or both?
    Also, how do you find long texts coming in to classic/BB10, especially from iOS users? iPhone to SMS can get really wonky, wondering if BB10/Classic is good at both sending and receiving longer texts correctly... Of course, BBM solves this problem, but I don't seem to know a lot of iOS friends with BBM...
    Lastly, do you use any android messaging apps (GroupMe!?) on your classic? If so, can those be incorporated into Blend? What level of configuration do notifications from android messaging apps (GroupMe!?) have relative to all of the notification options from your review, i.e. vibrate, LED, sounds, etc.?

Thanks!
    12-30-14 08:39 AM
    Awesome, can't wait to get my hands on a classic after the new year. Slagman, you talked about blend in your review, I have a couple of quick questiosn about text messages/Blend that may be more for a BB10 forum but since they're about the classic and you're usually quick to respond so I'll ask them here.
    Currently on iPhone, if my cell service is bad, iMessages still go through via wifi, and both iMessage and SMS, as well as phone calls, can now be transmitted over wifi on OSX Yosemite. Does blend allow the classic to send messages over wifi from the phone, just from blend on a Mac or PC, or both?
    Also, how do you find long texts coming in to classic/BB10, especially from iOS users? iPhone to SMS can get really wonky, wondering if BB10/Classic is good at both sending and receiving longer texts correctly... Of course, BBM solves this problem, but I don't seem to know a lot of iOS friends with BBM...
    Lastly, do you use any android messaging apps (GroupMe!?) on your classic? If so, can those be incorporated into Blend? What level of configuration do notifications from android messaging apps (GroupMe!?) have relative to all of the notification options from your review, i.e. vibrate, LED, sounds, etc.?

Thanks!
    Hey, first, with the messages over wifi, if you're asking if your computer can send messages instead of your phone over the network? I know for a fact Blend does nothing locally on your computer (or whatever device you're using to connect to Blend). Everything is done through the phone, and that is for security reasons. So unless BB10 allows for sending messages over wifi, then it wouldn't do it. And I'm not sure about that.

I have a few friends on iOS, but haven't noticed anything odd about their texts yet, but don't think I've received anything really long or anything. I'll keep an eye out for that though.

And no, Blend does not receive messages from any third party apps. I don't use any, but I'm pretty sure because it doesn't even show the facebook notifications. Right now it is just texts, mms, and emails. I don't know if more features would be added in the future or what, this is still a very early version of it.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-30-14 09:51 AM
    Hey, first, with the messages over wifi, if you're asking if your computer can send messages instead of your phone over the network? I know for a fact Blend does nothing locally on your computer (or whatever device you're using to connect to Blend). Everything is done through the phone, and that is for security reasons. So unless BB10 allows for sending messages over wifi, then it wouldn't do it. And I'm not sure about that.

I have a few friends on iOS, but haven't noticed anything odd about their texts yet, but don't think I've received anything really long or anything. I'll keep an eye out for that though.

And no, Blend does not receive messages from any third party apps. I don't use any, but I'm pretty sure because it doesn't even show the facebook notifications. Right now it is just texts, mms, and emails. I don't know if more features would be added in the future or what, this is still a very early version of it.

Also shows BBM

Posted via 10.3.1
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-30-14 09:54 AM
    Noticed this review earlier on amazon, and I was thinking, 'this guy has gotta be a crackberry user."

Nice review. In depth and I enjoy reading personal opinions rather than logical facts and assumptions that people regurgitate to sound more legit.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    12-30-14 09:56 AM
    Good job slagman. Good to see were passed arguing about glass weaves and can actually hold the phone. One day I'll get there when it comes around to verizon. Decided I'm going to keep my z30 by my couch for some occasional browsing.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 10:08 AM

Thanks, big clarification on blend there, that's really helpful. So in other words, if your phone is powered down or has no service (wifi/cellular), you won't get anything on blend?

And yes, wondering if sms/mms can be sent over wifi with BB10 or if it still has to go through a cellular data network. Again, Yosemite allows you to send both iMessage and plain sms so I'm guessing the technology is there....? Maybe just wishful thinking.

Sorry, I meant to ask if third party messaging apps (or other apps) got notifications in the hub, not on blend, and whether you could customize those notifications like you could with native apps.
    12-30-14 10:53 AM
    Good review, you really did a good job of covering what makes BlackBerry worthwhile and I learned a few tricks. Your frustration with Android and iPhone zealots came through pretty strong.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 11:18 AM
    Also shows BBM

Posted via 10.3.1
    Ah, yes, forgot BBM.

12-30-14 12:37 PM
    Thanks, big clarification on blend there, that's really helpful. So in other words, if your phone is powered down or has no service (wifi/cellular), you won't get anything on blend?

And yes, wondering if sms/mms can be sent over wifi with BB10 or if it still has to go through a cellular data network. Again, Yosemite allows you to send both iMessage and plain sms so I'm guessing the technology is there....? Maybe just wishful thinking.

Sorry, I meant to ask if third party messaging apps (or other apps) got notifications in the hub, not on blend, and whether you could customize those notifications like you could with native apps.
    It's not that they are not capable of it, it was a conscious decision to not allow that for security reasons. Remember that enterprise is a big part of BB, so knowing that even if using Blend on a personal computer with a secured device all of the communication is only through the secured device rather than being performed on the unsecured computer, makes it easier for enterprise customers to accept.

12-30-14 12:41 PM
    Congratulations on such a massive and detailed review.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the awesome review! You mention desktop mode in the browser. Can you elaborate how you get to that? Is there a shortcut key?
    12-30-14 02:45 PM
    It's not that they are not capable of it, it was a conscious decision to not allow that for security reasons. Remember that enterprise is a big part of BB, so knowing that even if using Blend on a personal computer with a secured device all of the communication is only through the secured device rather than being performed on the unsecured computer, makes it easier for enterprise customers to accept.

I really wish they could / would make 3rd party apps integrated but I can accept it if they didn't.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 03:07 PM
    I really wish they could / would make 3rd party apps integrated but I can accept it if they didn't.
    I got my girl to download bbm on her iPhone and we use it all the time. The rest are in what's app or text. It would be pretty great if they could make that happen.
    Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 03:08 PM
    What an excellent, very detailed review. Thank you for the post.
    12-30-14 03:50 PM
    I always enjoy your knowledgeable and well-informed posts here on Crackberry and you've aced the review on Amazon as well. You've made me remember what I loved about my 9900. I got the passport now, which is great, but the addition of the toolbelt weighs a lot more than the bigger screen and higher specs. Can't wait to have this baby in my hands, I wonder if I'll ever use my Passport afterwards. Thanks Slagman5!

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    12-30-14 04:13 PM
    Thanks for the awesome review! You mention desktop mode in the browser. Can you elaborate how you get to that? Is there a shortcut key?
    There should be a shortcut key, that would be nice, but right now it is under settings and developer tools...

12-30-14 05:17 PM
    Thank you. Great effort. I have shared this with friends as it is one of the best reviews I have read (and there is lots to read. ) in a while.

12-30-14 05:30 PM
    Ordered the Classic based on some of the reviews I had read on Amazon from actual BlackBerry users. Thank u for urs too. Crossing fingers that ShopBlackberry delivers and I have no problems.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    12-30-14 05:54 PM
    What a great, thorough review, nice job!

I have a question about the notifications. Are all the things you listed new to the Classic? Could you customize your notifications and the way it appeared in the Hub with the Q10 as well?

Thanks!
    12-30-14 07:15 PM
    What a great, thorough review, nice job!

I have a question about the notifications. Are all the things you listed new to the Classic? Could you customize your notifications and the way it appeared in the Hub with the Q10 as well?

Thanks!
    I believe everything but the individual volume levels and the color LEDs were available before 10.3.1. But those two are new to 10.3.1.

toodloo likes this.
    12-30-14 08:13 PM
53 123