In honour of this post, this is the first time I'm posting from my Classic (rather than my notebook)... and using the CB10 app for the first time!

I received my unlocked Classic from ShopBlackberry one month ago. Previously I had gone from an iPhone 5 to a Q10, trying to purposefully choose a leaner device experience as my primary working communication tool. My experience was partly successful, but I wavered and for a time switched to a Bold 9900; I had used and love a Bold 9700 in the past. That was short lived, as transitioning back to an OS that seemed like an anachronism after iOS and BB10 was just too painful.

I decided that the missing link to making BB10 work right for me was the toolbelt. I was just too accustomed to a home button, and as I use my phone extensively while in a vehicle - as in 2-3000 minutes per month of calls - I really wanted the send and end buttons, to make handling calls from my dash-mounted cradle easier and safer.

I've been both pleased and disappointed with my Classic. Here are my feelings:

PLUS:

Look & Feel: There is something satisfyingly serious about the look and build quality of this device.

Battery: The battery life is impressive. Even when I've used almost 4 hours of call time in a day, I've never ended my work day with less than 20% of my battery remaining. I also stream about an hour of Internet radio each day, and most of the above is via Bluetooth to my truck.

Hub: This is more BB10 than Classic, but the Hub is the best feature of the OS, hands down. I actually loved the Hub from about minute 5 of using my Q10 for the first time.

Screen: the screen is bright, crisp and clear. The extra real estate is a good improvement over the Q10.

Materials: the Classic seems to be wearing like iron. When not in the cradle in my vehicle, it rides in the pocket of my very abrasive heavy canvas coveralls or work pants. That canvas, impregnated with dust, clay and sawdust, is akin to sandpaper. So far, the screen and keys are like new. Every other BlackBerry device I've had showe wear on the T and Y keys within days. I have no protective case or cover on the Classic.

DELTA:

Signal reception: both WiFi and mobile have notably worse signal quality than did my Q10. The Classic is about on par with my iPhone 5; the Q10 was substantially better. This is disappointing.

Materials: The back material is not as grippy as the glass weave back on the Q10. For a larger device, this is a mistake. In honesty, I find all recent devices too slippery, but still...
    Also, the bottom portion of the perimeter band is not steel like the rest, but rather a very close match in painted plastic. As a result, each corner has a small mark worn through where it contacts my cradle upon insertion. (Slight detour: I use a cradle and mount from ProClip, and they are excellent in every respect. Highly recommended.)
    For $500, this part could have been steel, and don't give me any "antenna break" excuses... Apple has covered this, why not BB?

Fixed battery; I really don't care, provided that the battery doesn't exhibit significant decline in capacity for about 30 months. Neither of my iPhones did, so I expect that should be easy. Will it be?

OS related gripes: Spell Check/Autocorrect are useless. Not only are none of my obvious typos corrected, but sometimes when I tap an automatic suggestion, it then appears underlined in red, as though it is misspelled. Really? No, really? If I select a typo and click it, a correction is available... I don't think that autocorrect and manualcorrect mean the same thing? (Here's a laugh... I tapped the word autocorrect in the previous sentence, and this one, as a suggestion in the band below the screen. Both times the word was inserted into my sentence... and both times they are underlined in red.) There are sites and blogs dedicated to the hilarity which can ensue when autocorrect changes words. I'd like to start one about my device, but it would be a blog about something doing nothing at all. Too bad Seinfeld is off the air. That's GOLD Jerry... GOLD.

Maps is garbage. Just awful. Even Apple maps is better.

Inconsistency through the OS: this is everywhere! I noticed when I first moved to the Q10/BB10 from iOS, and it continues here. Why, for example, does the phone app override normal swipes/gestures? Example: I find an attachment in an email via the hub. I switch to phone to call the sender, then switch back to the view of the attachment, pending discussing it with my called party. Why, OH WHY, when the party answers, does my screen switch back to the phone app, forcing me to switch again back to the attachment? Especially with the little "call active" tap at the top of the screen in 10.3???

Contact search is garbage. Why when in the contacts app, I type a letter, and get a filter of EVERY CONTACT WITH THAT LETTER IN ANY FIELD??? Try this... from contacts app, type the letter E. It will not take you to the E's, but filter as described above. I have over 3000 contacts. Garbage.

Apps: I only use a small selection of apps. As mentioned, this is my work only device. If I want a rich media experience, I'm DEFINITELY reaching for my IP5 or iPad. However, two of the "Built for BlackBerry" apps I have from BlackBerry World dont even work right? One is TuneIn Radio. When I select a station, I get an error pop up "JavaScript error: a compatible media player is not found"... even though when I clear the popup the station plays fine. The other is the TD Bank app: it is not adjusted for navigation with the trackpad.

Edit to add: Dropbox. Browsing our team folders on my Classic is so slow as to be almost useless, and regardless of whether I'm on WiFi or mobile data. This was not the case on my Q10? This is actually a big deal, and my awkward workaround has been to copy files that I view regularly onto my media card. "Just pin them!" you might say. That's nice, but when said file is three folder-levels down in the team folder, it still takes minutes to browse the file structure! I tried pinning the entire team folder, but it was far too large, and never finished syncing. I may actually write an entire post about this one...

That's about it for now. Obviously almost all of my "Delta" points could be fixed via software... so why not BBRY? Classic is supposed to be the device that renews your vows with legions of dedicated Bold (and prior device) users. Instead of re-writing those vows with a prenuptial agreement and an appendix of mea culpas, please work hard and fast to make this what it should be.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by JF2014; 03-15-15 at 09:37 AM.
    03-14-15 10:11 PM
    Great post, agree with a lot of it. Thanks for sharing!
    03-14-15 11:11 PM
    I think hardware is a big reason why I am sticking with the Classic.

Software wise, iOS trumps it bad

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 01:07 AM
    Good post, I agree with almost all of it. Please send this off to Blackberry for them to understand what needs to be done.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 06:13 AM
    Very well written points!!! Definitely agree with you!!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 07:25 AM
    Ahm... just my thought. Maybe the downside due to OS shouldn't be listed as a negative feedback for the Classic since it's in the system...

Quality under the skin.
    03-15-15 10:07 AM
    As far as your contacts have you tried setting up the keys for what you want them to do until you do that the keys will go everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 11:21 AM
    Ahm... just my thought. Maybe the downside due to OS shouldn't be listed as a negative feedback for the Classic since it's in the system...

Quality under the skin.
    While there are plenty (and more) threads on BB10, I thought it was appropriate for readers considering upgrading from a 9900 to the Classic - or for those receiving a Classic from their employer.
    03-17-15 09:08 PM
    As far as your contacts have you tried setting up the keys for what you want them to do until you do that the keys will go everywhere.

Posted via CB10

I have my shortcut keys setup as I want them, if that's what you mean.
    03-17-15 09:11 PM
    In honour of this post, this is the first time I'm posting from my Classic (rather than my notebook)... and using the CB10 app for the first time!

I received my unlocked Classic from ShopBlackberry one month ago. Previously I had gone from an iPhone 5 to a Q10, trying to purposefully choose a leaner device experience as my primary working communication tool. My experience was partly successful, but I wavered and for a time switched to a Bold 9900; I had used and love a Bold 9700 in the past. That was short lived, as transitioning back to an OS that seemed like an anachronism after iOS and BB10 was just too painful.

I decided that the missing link to making BB10 work right for me was the toolbelt. I was just too accustomed to a home button, and as I use my phone extensively while in a vehicle - as in 2-3000 minutes per month of calls - I really wanted the send and end buttons, to make handling calls from my dash-mounted cradle easier and safer.

I've been both pleased and disappointed with my Classic. Here are my feelings:

PLUS:

Look & Feel: There is something satisfyingly serious about the look and build quality of this device.

Battery: The battery life is impressive. Even when I've used almost 4 hours of call time in a day, I've never ended my work day with less than 20% of my battery remaining. I also stream about an hour of Internet radio each day, and most of the above is via Bluetooth to my truck.

Hub: This is more BB10 than Classic, but the Hub is the best feature of the OS, hands down. I actually loved the Hub from about minute 5 of using my Q10 for the first time.

Screen: the screen is bright, crisp and clear. The extra real estate is a good improvement over the Q10.

Materials: the Classic seems to be wearing like iron. When not in the cradle in my vehicle, it rides in the pocket of my very abrasive heavy canvas coveralls or work pants. That canvas, impregnated with dust, clay and sawdust, is akin to sandpaper. So far, the screen and keys are like new. Every other BlackBerry device I've had showe wear on the T and Y keys within days. I have no protective case or cover on the Classic.

DELTA:

Signal reception: both WiFi and mobile have notably worse signal quality than did my Q10. The Classic is about on par with my iPhone 5; the Q10 was substantially better. This is disappointing.

Materials: The back material is not as grippy as the glass weave back on the Q10. For a larger device, this is a mistake. In honesty, I find all recent devices too slippery, but still...
    Also, the bottom portion of the perimeter band is not steel like the rest, but rather a very close match in painted plastic. As a result, each corner has a small mark worn through where it contacts my cradle upon insertion. (Slight detour: I use a cradle and mount from ProClip, and they are excellent in every respect. Highly recommended.)
    For $500, this part could have been steel, and don't give me any "antenna break" excuses... Apple has covered this, why not BB?

Fixed battery; I really don't care, provided that the battery doesn't exhibit significant decline in capacity for about 30 months. Neither of my iPhones did, so I expect that should be easy. Will it be?

OS related gripes: Spell Check/Autocorrect are useless. Not only are none of my obvious typos corrected, but sometimes when I tap an automatic suggestion, it then appears underlined in red, as though it is misspelled. Really? No, really? If I select a typo and click it, a correction is available... I don't think that autocorrect and manualcorrect mean the same thing? (Here's a laugh... I tapped the word autocorrect in the previous sentence, and this one, as a suggestion in the band below the screen. Both times the word was inserted into my sentence... and both times they are underlined in red.) There are sites and blogs dedicated to the hilarity which can ensue when autocorrect changes words. I'd like to start one about my device, but it would be a blog about something doing nothing at all. Too bad Seinfeld is off the air. That's GOLD Jerry... GOLD.

Maps is garbage. Just awful. Even Apple maps is better.

Inconsistency through the OS: this is everywhere! I noticed when I first moved to the Q10/BB10 from iOS, and it continues here. Why, for example, does the phone app override normal swipes/gestures? Example: I find an attachment in an email via the hub. I switch to phone to call the sender, then switch back to the view of the attachment, pending discussing it with my called party. Why, OH WHY, when the party answers, does my screen switch back to the phone app, forcing me to switch again back to the attachment? Especially with the little "call active" tap at the top of the screen in 10.3???

Contact search is garbage. Why when in the contacts app, I type a letter, and get a filter of EVERY CONTACT WITH THAT LETTER IN ANY FIELD??? Try this... from contacts app, type the letter E. It will not take you to the E's, but filter as described above. I have over 3000 contacts. Garbage.

Apps: I only use a small selection of apps. As mentioned, this is my work only device. If I want a rich media experience, I'm DEFINITELY reaching for my IP5 or iPad. However, two of the "Built for BlackBerry" apps I have from BlackBerry World dont even work right? One is TuneIn Radio. When I select a station, I get an error pop up "JavaScript error: a compatible media player is not found"... even though when I clear the popup the station plays fine. The other is the TD Bank app: it is not adjusted for navigation with the trackpad.

Edit to add: Dropbox. Browsing our team folders on my Classic is so slow as to be almost useless, and regardless of whether I'm on WiFi or mobile data. This was not the case on my Q10? This is actually a big deal, and my awkward workaround has been to copy files that I view regularly onto my media card. "Just pin them!" you might say. That's nice, but when said file is three folder-levels down in the team folder, it still takes minutes to browse the file structure! I tried pinning the entire team folder, but it was far too large, and never finished syncing. I may actually write an entire post about this one...

That's about it for now. Obviously almost all of my "Delta" points could be fixed via software... so why not BBRY? Classic is supposed to be the device that renews your vows with legions of dedicated Bold (and prior device) users. Instead of re-writing those vows with a prenuptial agreement and an appendix of mea culpas, please work hard and fast to make this what it should be.

Posted via CB10
    I knew it!!!! I have a very small chip on the bottom of my device!!!! I knew it wasn't all "steel" ugh cheapos

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    03-17-15 09:44 PM
    By simple coincidence, it's almost exactly 1 year since I started this thread.

Since then, I used my Classic for about 10 months. At that time, I moved to a new city and province, and found myself needing a host of old apps from my iPhone (none of which are available on BB). In addition, learning a new locale involves a whole lotta navigation, so I switched my SIM back into my iP5.

On the whole that was satisfying until the day I shattered the screen. Back to the Classic I go, as I'm not due for an upgrade for another few months.

That experience has been such an infuriating disappointment that I'm going to purchase a new iDevice on my own dime to end the suffering. If leaving this platform, I have no compelling reason to try yet another OS, so the Priv is out. iOS is a known quantity; Android isn't.

Maps in BB10... is this some kind of joke? In my OP I described it as garbage, and now I feel that assessment to be overly generous.

Maps is constantly, literally every day, suggesting that I "make a legal U-turn" as a part of it's routing. On top of that, over the last week of travel in my new home city and to Victoria BC, Maps has taken me to a completely wrong location (found via the equally garbage-grade search function embedded therein) at least 5 times, including this afternoon.

It will also deliver search results which consistently take me to a much further afield location of a business than the closest actual location. Search is also sometimes case sensitive. Yes, I'm serious.

Yesterday Maps could not find a street in Kelowna BC. As in, it returned no matches. I had to resort to finding it in Google Maps via the browser.

Lastly, when using navigation prompts, the Classic must be set as the Bluetooth music source for the prompts to be audible. Google maps and Apple maps both have the option to broadcast the prompts as a BT 'phone call', so as to override my music source temporarily. Not so with BB. While connected to a BT device, I have no option to hear the nav prompts via the device speaker.

There's just no excuse for the awful performance of what should be a core app like Maps.

Lastly, I find my device to be increasingly laggy, slow, and cumbersome. I've updated, I've reset and rebooted, I've ... wait... why should I have to do all these things?

I had such high hopes for a simple, robust and workable solution here. I will admit that I was pleased with the tool belt, battery life and styling of the Classic. I'm still impressed with the physical durability; I've dropped it, kicked it (accidentally - think Charlie Chaplin) and skidded it across various surfaces. It still looks great. It does have a small scratch on the screen, caused by an argument with a key in my pocket.

Battery life is still excellent. The keyboard still rules the roost for actual typing. Whatever paint or coating is used on the keyboard is much, much tougher than on previous devices.

But all that said... stick a fork in me... I'm done with my Classic. I expect better performance from the device in my pocket.

You were >THIS< close to nailing it BBRY. Too bad.
    g_noble likes this.
    03-11-16 11:19 PM
    I knew it!!!! I have a very small chip on the bottom of my device!!!! I knew it wasn't all "steel" ugh cheapos

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    Uh, the bottom piece of EVERY BB device is not metal. Q10 included...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-12-16 01:06 AM