05-04-15 09:03 PM
80 1234
tools
    Had mine since launch day in December. Started periodically, and getting progressively worse. Plus I'm getting random reboots at least once a day lately.

I finally called Digital River yesterday to start the warranty process. They did some diagnostics over the phone. I sent in a log which they will be analyzing and then calling me back to let me know what the next steps are.

Never had this issue with my 8130, 8330, 9630, 9700, or 9800. The double typing has been an issue on all my recent BlackBerry's though: 9780, 9900, Q10, and Classic. BlackBerry must really be cheaping out on hardware for the past few years.
    04-25-15 01:00 PM
    Good thread.

For me it is because of speed and speed alone. Both the 99 and the Class pkb are the fastest thing on the market.

I use to think I would NEVER be able to type as fast on the Classic. Straight typing maybe faster add making corrections, auto correct and cut and paste then NO.

Some day when they correct these things it will be the best phone ever.

Btw. My double typing is because I sometimes press a key harder than others this combined with the speed is why I "think" I have an occasional double type.

And maybe it's little things like the environment of the phone being outside, typing while eating, rain or moisture and general habits we have.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 02:32 PM
    Could also be some version of n key rollover.

On my cherry mx blacks I do 110wpm and I think I could get to 130 140 on that 10finger trst with brown, white or blues.

With the rubber dome though the cheaper ones will lag at faster typing speed.
    04-26-15 02:20 PM
    I was so in love with my Passport for 4 months until this problem arises and nothing has been done to fix it. Now I can't even face my friends and tell them it's the greatest phone I have ever purchased. It saddens me.

plz don't blame it on user simply coz u r not experiencing it..am a new BB user but many who have been using BB for years now would not complain just for the sake of it unless they r actually facing this issue...I am also experiencing this thing and I want to know if this could worsen with time or will disappear after a software upgrade as there have been debates going around quoting this issue as hardware or software bug.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 04:37 PM
    Sure looks like a software time delay filter might help mitigate some of this...???
    05-02-15 09:48 PM
    Sure looks like a software time delay filter might help mitigate some of this...???
    My guts instinct tells me that if it could, then it would have been fixed ages ago.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-02-15 10:06 PM
    My guts instinct tells me that if it could, then it would have been fixed ages ago.

Agreed, one would think so. Still... as rapid as the two characters show up in succession, hard to believe a little more TD couldn't help. Real fix probably in hardware but... software filters too frequently get "abused" that way, anyway.
    05-02-15 11:07 PM
    I just got my replacement warranty device this week. The double typing was getting progressively worse, day by day. I was worried about the exchange process with Digital River, but turns out I got the deal with BlackBerry directly. After they analyzed the logs on my phone, they called back a few days later to start the swap process. I thought I'd have to be without a phone, but they actually FedEx'd me a new phone with a return mailer to send the defective unit back. Quite seamless actually.

Now we'll see how long this keyboard lasts. The last 4 BlackBerry's I've had have had this issue, so I know it's only a matter of time before it starts up again.
    05-03-15 01:49 AM
    I just got my replacement warranty device this week. The double typing was getting progressively worse, day by day. I was worried about the exchange process with Digital River, but turns out I got the deal with BlackBerry directly. After they analyzed the logs on my phone, they called back a few days later to start the swap process. I thought I'd have to be without a phone, but they actually FedEx'd me a new phone with a return mailer to send the defective unit back. Quite seamless actually.

Now we'll see how long this keyboard lasts. The last 4 BlackBerry's I've had have had this issue, so I know it's only a matter of time before it starts up again.
    As much as I don't want to be one of those unpopular people who delivers bad and disappointing news but I am very inclined to believe the keyboard issue is accelerated by moisture from the precipitation of where the user lives, the sweat/oil on his hands, his habits, etc. I have given up and gone to Android for now after many replacements and multiple models. The general feeling I get from this forum seems to be the same, the people who has a double typing one usually get a series of them while the minority who seems to be absolutely immune to it just don't. There's certainly some rare ones that seem to be better built than others but judging from the on site Q10 poll that has now reached 70% users getting double type, luck is probably not on your side.

Unless you get an extremely lucky draw and get one of those rare ones that is just coincidentally very well built. You will very likely end up exchanging them endlessly until warranty expires.

05-03-15 02:52 AM
    As much as I don't want to be one of those unpopular people who delivers bad and disappointing news but I am very inclined to believe the keyboard issue is accelerated by moisture from the precipitation of where the user lives, the sweat/oil on his hands, his habits, etc. I have given up and gone to Android for now after many replacements and multiple models. The general feeling I get from this forum seems to be the same, the people who has a double typing one usually get a series of them while the minority who seems to be absolutely immune to it just don't. There's certainly some rare ones that seem to be better built than others but judging from the on site Q10 poll that has now reached 70% users getting double type, luck is probably not on your side.

Unless you get an extremely lucky draw and get one of those rare ones that is just coincidentally very well built. You will very likely end up exchanging them endlessly until warranty expires.

Very strange. My crew has 22 of them under pretty rough conditions. Well past a month now. No DT yet. Fingers crossed.

Our dozens of 9650s NEVER experienced anything like it. My 9900 started DT just a while back but it was due for a new KB because of worn paint anyway. $5 & 5 minutes. I've gotten proficient at replacing them. Lol. .

Still, I wonder if QNX guys might be overlooking a simple software timing mitigation that the RIM guys had included SOP? ...Or???
    05-03-15 05:25 AM

The last FOUR Blackberry's? Why do you stay with a company that cannot make hardware?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 06:11 AM
    Software/cpu lag and environmental factors (moisture, heat, sweat) could really have a lot to do with it. If it were just hardware what would explain the fact that many people (myself included) experience the issue, then it goes away for days/weeks at a time, shows up again, and goes away again? Why would it go away for a week if the problem was "the hardware"?
    05-03-15 09:23 AM
    Why would it go away for a week if the problem was "the hardware"?
    Well, you kind of answer your own question.
    If it was software, did you change out the software for this no-dt week?

As you did not, we're back to hardware.

You say environmental factors... well that is still a hardware issue. Same environment with previous BlackBerry devices worked flawless for years. Q10 comes along and suddenly BlackBerry has crap kb's... not good for BlackBerry as the pkb is why many of us choose BlackBerry.
    05-03-15 09:50 AM

You say environmental factors... well that is still a hardware issue. Same environment with previous BlackBerry devices worked flawless for years. Q10 comes along and suddenly BlackBerry has crap kb's... not good for BlackBerry as the pkb is why many of us choose BlackBerry.
    Not exactly. I didn't mean I had a non-DT week because I loaded an entire new os. What I meant was that maybe I had restarted the phone, cleared the cache, cleared my Search function history, cleared my list of learned words, etc. There are many things in the os that could have contributed to snappier, trouble-free non-dt performance.
    05-03-15 10:45 AM

Hmm, well, there do seem to be reports that it might get worse when under heavy software loads. Which MIGHT indicate some combination of HD and SW cause.

Interestingly, my single experience with DT on my 9900 happened while typing a reply into CrackBerry forum. I'd made over 100 data entries and edits into spreadsheet all morning with ZERO errors up to just minutes prior to going to CrackBerry forum during breaktime. CrackBerry's site noticeably loads down my 9900. No, I don't use "site apps". Noticing the issue, i just swapped KB over breaktime and never saw DT again. Point being, DT did NOT show up while entering/editing spreadsheets (any single error would have been caught through redundant QC and QA) but DID show up while typing into CB through the browser. FWIW.

Also, i vividly recall, years ago, intentionally checking to see how my old BB (Pearl?? can't recall) responded to pressing two keys, simultaneously. Only one character resulted if two keys were pressed simultaneously. Obviously one got pressed some milliseconds earlier and won out as the single entry. My Classic is getting charged back to life (bad on me, lol) right now but my 9900 enters both characters when two are pressed simultaneously. When did this logic change? Was it some accommodation for the "crazy sensitive" touch interface?? I'll get hold of an old non-touch 9650 and see how it responds to two keys being pressed simultaneously.

Also, also, we noticed our Z10's DT on occasion back during our 9 month experiment with them. We just took it as "operator error" but, in retrospect, i couldn't argue that it wasn't DT. ???

So far, no DT on our month+ old Classics but it's NOT something my company could even contemplate tolerating. FWIW.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-03-15 at 11:00 AM.
    05-03-15 10:49 AM
    Hmm, well, there do seem to be reports that it might get worse when under heavy software loads. Which MIGHT indicate some combination of HD and SW cause.

Interestingly, my single experience with DT on my 9900 happened while typing a reply into CrackBerry forum. I'd made over 100 data entries and edits into spreadsheet all morning with ZERO errors up to just minutes prior to going to CrackBerry forum during breaktime. CrackBerry's site noticeably loads down my 9900. No, I don't use "site apps". Noticing the issue, i just swapped KB over breaktime and never saw DT again. Point being, DT did NOT show up while entering/editing spreadsheets (any single error would have been caught through redundant QC and QA) but DID show up while typing into CB through the browser. FWIW.

Also, i vividly recall, years ago, intentionally checking to see how my old BB (Pearl?? can't recall) responded to pressing two keys, simultaneously. Only one character resulted if two keys were pressed simultaneously. Obviously one got pressed some milliseconds earlier and won out as the single entry. My Classic is getting charged back to life (bad on me, lol) right now but my 9900 enters both characters when two are pressed simultaneously. When did this logic change? Was it some accommodation for the "crazy sensitive" touch interface?? I'll get hold of an old 9650 and see how it responds to two keys being pressed simultaneously.

Also, also, we noticed our Z10's DT on occasion back during our 9 month experiment with them. We just took it as "operator error" but, in retrospect, i couldn't argue that it wasn't DT. ???

So far, no DT on our month+ old Classics but it's NOT something my company could even contemplate tolerating. FWIW.
    Exactly. CB is a bloated site filled with ads and maybe even spyware. Why is it always trying to fingerprint my laptop's browser? Anyway, yes, lots of small changes in the os like I mentioned in my post just above this most recent post of yours could have contributed to a week of trouble free typing for me.
    05-03-15 10:53 AM
    Exactly. CB is a bloated site filled with ads and maybe even spyware. Why is it always trying to fingerprint my laptop's browser? Anyway, yes, lots of small changes in the os like I mentioned in my post just above this most recent post of yours could have contributed to a week of trouble free typing for me.
    Well, CB site makes a good test. I'm contemplating putting that old keyboard back into my 9900 and doing some testing. May, or not, be relevant but...

EDIT: guys here in the breakroom just pointed out that my one and only DT experience happened on one of the "re-intro'd" 9900s purchased just about 6 months ago. Recent manufacture, in other words... hmm....
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-03-15 at 11:29 AM.
    05-03-15 11:17 AM
    Interestingly, my single experience with DT on my 9900 happened while typing a reply into CrackBerry forum.
    Haha, wouldn't it be just too funny if the only people experiencing DT were those that visited CB.
    Hmm, maybe I should uninstall the app and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:55 AM
    Haha, wouldn't it be just too funny if the only people experiencing DT were those that visited CB.
    Hmm, maybe I should uninstall the app and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. BUT, i do NOT have the APP. Just OS7.1.0.1066 browser. Just to be clear.
    05-03-15 12:01 PM
    The last FOUR Blackberry's? Why do you stay with a company that cannot make hardware?

Posted via CB10
    A fair question. For one, I love the BlackBerry platform. But also, there isn't really a lot of choice as far as hardware keyboards are concerned. I guess you could say it's the best of the worst.
    05-03-15 09:42 PM
    @preeti111 Sure! Well on my Q10 the "a" key is the one with the double typing problem. If I even barely TOUCH the key it presses. So I type very carefully around it. When I need an "a" I just barely touch it. I'm so in the habit of doing this that I can type on it fine. But if someone else tries to use my phone, forget about it! LOL! They freak out and just give up. Another thing I do when it is acting up particularly bad, I take my fingernails and dig into the sides around that "a" key and gently pull the key out and sometimes I will blow into the space down in there. Don't pull too hard because you will pull they key off of course! I do this very carefully and only when desperate. And of course there is also voice to text, autocorrect, and word prediction features that can help too. I did those at first but kept playing with it until I found a way to type on it without it double typing on me too much. I just typed this whole reply on my Q10 and it has been good. I am just VERY CAREFUL around that affected key. Just use my fingers so that I don't touch it unless I have to, and then if I need an "a" I just BARELY touch it (and it types a lower case "a"). If I touch it too long I get a capital A of course. I hope that helps! Let me know if you need any more help.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:31 PM
    That's why I think its a different problem with the Classic. None of the keys that sometimes do this are anywhere near sensitive.

For Classic users, have you ever experience DT when with numbers?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:56 AM
    That's why I think its a different problem with the Classic. None of the keys that sometimes do this are anywhere near sensitive.

For Classic users, have you ever experience DT when with numbers?

Posted via CB10
    Good observation. None of the Classics in use in my my office have exhibited DT yet so I can't offer insight to your question, directly. Indirectly, I've installed the old DT keyboard back into my 9900 and, sure enough, DT is back. ONLY in browser! No sign of it in Docs-to-go, nor email, nor text. Mostly "N" and "C" (also #9) but ONLY in the Browser. This is NUTS!!! It's also a recently manufactured 9900. The only 9900 I've ever heard of with DT. Maybe, or no, relevant to Classic's DT? Idk.

Edit:
    just adding that "N" seems to be a "light touch" possibly similar to what Jean described above. "C" and "9" seem perfectly normal. FWIW.

Edit again:
    Gotta put the good keyboard back in and get the 99 back to work for now. I'm going to quiz the 9900 forum. Dunno if relevant to Classic DT any how. ??
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-04-15 at 08:51 AM.
    05-04-15 07:22 AM
    Phys keyboard isn't about wpm. It's about accuracy and better control over what's being typed as opposed to a virtual keyboard where autocorrect helps you ultimately type faster, do one handed way better but the cpu may predict the wrong word which may tick u off.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 08:53 AM
    I am going to type this at the least speed possible and I hope I do not get any errors because as you said it shouldn't occur when the speed of typing is low and seems you are correct.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 01:23 PM
80 1234