I totally agree with you on your theory. I've mentioned it before that it only happens on certain apps that exert CPU power and when there is a slight hitch in the OS while typing. The most common is the browser and text messages with long threads that needs to be preloaded before typing. It seems like a combination of CPU being under power and OS lag causing keyboard to register improperly.

I own a Passport and this problem is being reported in the Passport section around OS 10.3.1 was release. Also it occurs on some touchscreen keys as well on the Passport. I also did a test by going backward to OS 10.3.0 for 3 days and couldn't replicate the problem. Then I updated to OS 10.3.1 again and the problem came back immediately.
    Now that you mention it, we noticed something analogous on our Z10s and just blamed it on "sloppy thumbs". Hmm. Never tolerated on our Q10s without immediate kb or device swap. Does seem like CPU load might be a factor. Hmm.

Maybe whatever input interpreting algorithms the OS uses is getting distracted by other processes during a "make-break-make" malfunction????
    thymaster likes this.
    04-10-15 07:07 AM
    If Z-10 and Passport users are also reporting the same infrequent occurrence of double typing, obviously this is a software issue and not a hardware issue. It couldn't possibly be the case that defective hardware is causing the keyboard on touch screen devices to double-type.

As I said earlier however, there would definitely have to be some instances where some devices have defective keyboards but in this case it would be one letter of the keyboard repeatedly double typing and pressing the affected key over and over would replicate the malfunction.

The Q-10 had a common hardware problem with double typing, all other devices seem to have an intermittent software 'bug'.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    04-10-15 08:16 PM
    I understand what you mean about how typing too fast can lead to double typing. I've noticed my quick fingers double type sometimes. But the majority of times I have double typed it was the phone and not my fingers. Let's say 10% my fault, 90% the phone's fault.

I have just started noticing my space bar and the letter e start to double type. It doesn't happen too often (yet). This sucks. My 9900 started double typing after about 2 years; my Q10 close to a year; and now the Classic just 4 months in. Sigh. At least it's not randomly restarting like my Z10 and Q10 were.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 06:27 PM
    I have a Q10 with the double typing problem and I believe this is a legit issue, regardless of user or typing techniques. Why? My affected key is the *A* key. If my fingers even barely brush across that key, it hits it. The phone asks me if I want to set a number to that key for speed dial. Like 100 times a day! And that is with me being careful to not hit it. LOL. Maybe for some people it is related to their typing style, but not mine!! Haha. I have had this phone a year and I have come up with all kinds of workarounds to keep using it. It used to make me mad, but I am used to it now and it's not so bad.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 06:37 PM
    We BlackBerry loyalists are a patient, understanding lot.

When you think about the lengths we go to, to keep our precious devices limping along.

In a way it's a tribute to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    jeanholton1 likes this.
    04-12-15 06:32 PM
    This is a very interesting thread and topic with many good and insightful posts. What becomes clear is, that there are at least three reasons for double typing:

-User failure
    -Hardware failure
    -Software failure

And a mix of all three. Has anybody sighted this error on any Curve or Q5 model? I'm using a Q5 since its release as my daily driver and never noticed this problem. But maybe there are too few using this device here that there are no reports. Crackberrians tend to use the flag ships.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 06:32 AM
    You might be best of posting a thread in the Q5 forum asking for reports of doubling typing, the thing is though that I have just read about users currently experiencing infrequent double typing with no particular letter (the same issue I'm experiencing) on the BlackBerry Passport so I think no matter what device you'll buy, if it has BB10 then there is a good chance you'll experience some degree of double-typing, even if it's not affecting the core functionality of the phone as in my (and the majority of other users) case.

Today my Classic hasn't double typed after a full day of heavy use, yesterday however within the space of 10 minutes it double typed 5 times, all with differing keys. I again had multiple apps open and hadn't restarted the phone in quite a while. In my opinion if it was 'going to get worse' it would have happened by now rather than continuing to have sporadic periods of random double typing that also happen to include other symptoms of an overworked CPU like occasional lag, text taking a while to appear or app loading times. I'm 100% satisfied with my Classic and at this point would state that it is working entirely according to my expectations, if symptoms do begin to get worse - I will of course update this post.

To all Q-10 owners who experienced severe double typing issues due to a malfunctioning physical keyboard - have no hesitations when upgrading to the Classic, the double typing referred to in this thread is not an everyday occurrence, let alone an every paragraph occurrence.

04-14-15 07:52 AM
    BS you cant type 5 keys per second, be realistic.
    Still no apology even after I posted proof?

Go to www.10fastfingers.com/mobile to take your own free 30 second test and report back on your results - it's fun, quick and easy requiring no registration. Just remember to save your results page so that you can gloat afterwards and have people claim you're not being realistic.

04-14-15 07:57 AM
    I think you might be right for some cases, but the Q10 definitely has a hardware issue. My dad has the Q10 for 1 year, he only types to search for contacts and he's careful with his phones. Just yesterday I sent it to warranty because the D key completely failed. Can't be pressed, doesn't input and the keys around it feel mushy.

I have the classic for almost 4 months I type a lot and just recently I started to double type from time to time.

But it's weird cause I saw how a letter was inputed a second time when my finger was already in the air. It's not a particular key either and it happens in rounds. For example I type today a sentence where 2-3 letters are double typed and then no problem for 1 week.

My money is on the OS lagging from time to time, for most users it's a hardware issue, and for a small percentage it might be what you described in OP.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-16-15 12:59 PM
    .... there are at least three reasons for double typing:

-User failure
    -Hardware failure
    -Software failure
    The first reason sounds like BlackBerry's excuse for not preventing or fixing it.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    04-16-15 01:37 PM
    Never experienced any double typing, and most of my e-mails go out when I'm on a train or taking public transportation. Must be the user and not the phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 04:19 AM
    plz don't blame it on user simply coz u r not experiencing it..am a new BB user but many who have been using BB for years now would not complain just for the sake of it unless they r actually facing this issue...I am also experiencing this thing and I want to know if this could worsen with time or will disappear after a software upgrade as there have been debates going around quoting this issue as hardware or software bug.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 09:15 AM
    @bbinoz Thanks for the reassurance! I have a Q10 with issues and I have been watching closely what people say about the Classic. Right now I am typing on an old Curve and it is so true that I have never had any issues with this type of keyboard. My dream phone would be a Classic with a clicky keyboard like the Q5 or Curve. The squishy keyboard is a nice feel but I make less mistakes on a clicky one. The double typing issue is REAL though. I have learned to live with and love my defective Q. And I even got a Z30 out of frustration with it last year so it wasn't all bad. Hahaha. I know a few workarounds now and I also know a couple things to do to stop it before it gets crazy bad, and because of that my Q is my current daily driver.
    04-17-15 10:20 AM
    About the software component, it has improved with the latest 10.3.1 iterations. I remember that 10.3.1.1151 recorded more double presses than 10.3.1.2704. With my Q10, the problem has turned from a somewhat annoying issue to nothing.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 10:26 AM
    @bbinoz Thanks for the reassurance! I have a Q10 with issues and I have been watching closely what people say about the Classic. Right now I am typing on an old Curve and it is so true that I have never had any issues with this type of keyboard. My dream phone would be a Classic with a clicky keyboard like the Q5 or Curve. The squishy keyboard is a nice feel but I make less mistakes on a clicky one. The double typing issue is REAL though. I have learned to live with and love my defective Q. And I even got a Z30 out of frustration with it last year so it wasn't all bad. Hahaha. I know a few workarounds now and I also know a couple things to do to stop it before it gets crazy bad, and because of that my Q is my current daily driver.
    hey can u plz share ur tips and tricks with us as well ? I don't want this thing to worsen with time as I am already putting up with the toolbelt and screen gap just coz i cant part with my classic even for the time it may take for the replacement and that too with no guarantee that I will actually get a perfect classic bcoz they may send one from the same lot which might turn out having more issues than the current one

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 10:44 AM
    Blaming the users is ridiculous. You don't think we know if we are pressing the key twice? You think it's a coincidence that it only happens to specific keys?

04-17-15 01:09 PM
    I haven't seen the double typing issue as of yet on the Classic, but I have seen a double texting issue.

My wife has SG4 and through normal sms messaging a text would come to me twice. Very annoying.
    04-17-15 02:47 PM
    I've had my Classic a couple of months now, and the worst keys for double typing is the e key and the space bar, I'm forever getting full. Stops in. The middle of. Sentences. it is a real pain. Carphone Warehouse have offered to have it in to be repaired but I'm not sure. The only spare phone in our house is a Bold 9700 which means no BBM which is a killer! I have notice tha my speed has certainly picked up over time and I'm very quick - I'll try slowing down a bit. Some interesting theories about the processor, I leave my phone on charge overnight as it wakes me up with its alarm. Does anyone know if it would turn itself on to do the alarm like the old Bold's did? I might also try doing a hard reset every morning - I presume that that is still hold the power and volume up and down keys?
    04-20-15 03:42 PM
    "The answer" in thread title needs to be changed to "my theory"

And your theory just isn't correct. The double type, and hyper sensitive keys on physical kb of the Q (and now showing up on Classics) is a real problem. Real, as in NOT IMAGINARY.

Many people report the problem goes away when the kb is swapped out with new replacement. (sometimes reappearing in the new hardware over time) Their typing speed/style didn't change...

There are people who have torn apart their malfunctioning kb and found misaligned contacts. When aligned and reassembled they report the DT issue for that key gone. Their typing speed/style didn't change...

People have reported DT issue on pre BB10 devices, at much rarer rates compared to Q's.

The embarrassing part for BlackBerry was the frequency of defective Q's. It came at a really bad time for BlackBerry as they were struggling, exasperated by a hostile (USA) media assault and pathetic front line sales dorks who poured gas on the fire. Even the (USA) carriers got on the BlackBerry Bash Wagon.

Having a theory about typing too fast is ok, but it is just not correct...
    Q10Bold likes this.
    04-20-15 04:13 PM
    Still haven't experienced any double typing on my Q10, now at 20 months.

Maybe the bank teller will be typing so fast that her keyboard enters a few extra zeroes in my bank account.
    04-20-15 05:38 PM
    Made a change to the title to better reflect the content of your theory.
    Mr4aces and Lostonline like this.
    04-20-15 09:07 PM
    For me, every passing month there is a new key affected. Is started with the 'E' and Spacebar. Now 'R' 'N' 'O' 'I' 'S' are affected as well.

04-20-15 11:10 PM
    For me, every passing month there is a new key affected. Is started with the 'E' and Spacebar. Now 'R' 'N' 'O' 'I' 'S' are affected as well.

same here I have turned off the period key though so am not sure if my space is affected too but after E my S and A key seem to joining the league

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 02:16 AM
    Blaming the users is ridiculous. You don't think we know if we are pressing the key twice? You think it's a coincidence that it only happens to specific keys?

well said.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 02:17 AM
    It's a rubber dome keyboard, as in several keys share a single switch vs mechanical where every key has own.

Vound to be problem I never had double type with 9700, 9300, 9900, 9810 or Passport but reading your threads I get scared.

Especially because touch sensitive keyboard may be hard to replace.

I got 50 wpn on that test with 1 error but I type faster. Computer keyboard relaxed I do 75 and this test too was relaxed. I type about same 70-90 range that's why I love keyboard.

Just saying double type bound to happen, my dad q10 has faulty w and it actiavtes just with light touch. There is also that
    04-25-15 10:40 AM
80 1234