I will try to keep this as short as possible. 2 weeks ago I swapped out my blackberry passport on Kijiji here in Canada with a gentleman who had a brand new Classic. It still had the original films on it protecting the screen, trackpad, and camera so I knew it was brand new. It was locked to Bell so I had to pay $39.99 to unlock it. The man gave me $150 in the trade as well. Probably could've gotten more but I was desperate for some extra money and I was very anxious to try the classic.

So I've used the classic for 2 weeks and here's my general conclusion. The classic does not do a very good job at replacing or upgrading legacy users. Again this is just my opinion. I was a bold 9900 user before BB10 and I loved it. Now I am completely pro BB10, and for me if you're going to buy a BB10 device, there should be no reason why it isn't the passport.

When the Q10 first launched people complained about the missing toolbelt. I was one of those people. But what I've realized after using the classic is that the toolbelt was never really designed for BB10, and thus I find myself barely using it. Blackberry just slapped the toolbelt back on a BB10 device with a few minor software differences for the toolbelt. This obviously wasn't a bad idea because they're trying to get all legacy users to bb10. For me, I see the toolbelt useless on BB10. The trackpad gets in the way when I'm swiping up to minimize apps, and I find scrolling on the screen much more efficient. Obviously cut copy and paste is back with the trackpad, but I actually have to stop myself and remind myself to do it with the trackpad. (I naturally just highlight text on the touchscreen with my finger now)

So for me the passport is still the better device. Obviously specs wise but I just prefer the size of the screen, the performance and the battery life. I feel there is absolutely no need for a toolbelt on BB10, feels very weird and feels like it doesn't belong there. I have since listed this Blackberry Classic on kijiji for $400 and sadly havent had many replies. I did however order a red blackberry passport from shopblackberry today!! So very excited! Let me know what you classic folks think about the toolbelt with bb10 compared to say bb7. Im sure theres people out there who love their classic, but for me the passport is the far superior, more polished device.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    03-28-15 07:09 PM
    I will try to keep this as short as possible. 2 weeks ago I swapped out my blackberry passport on Kijiji here in Canada with a gentleman who had a brand new Classic. It still had the original films on it protecting the screen, trackpad, and camera so I knew it was brand new. It was locked to Bell so I had to pay $39.99 to unlock it. The man gave me $150 in the trade as well. Probably could've gotten more but I was desperate for some extra money and I was very anxious to try the classic.

So I've used the classic for 2 weeks and here's my general conclusion. The classic does not do a very good job at replacing or upgrading legacy users. Again this is just my opinion. I was a bold 9900 user before BB10 and I loved it. Now I am completely pro BB10, and for me if you're going to buy a BB10 device, there should be no reason why it isn't the passport.

When the Q10 first launched people complained about the missing toolbelt. I was one of those people. But what I've realized after using the classic is that the toolbelt was never really designed for BB10, and thus I find myself barely using it. Blackberry just slapped the toolbelt back on a BB10 device with a few minor software differences for the toolbelt. This obviously wasn't a bad idea because they're trying to get all legacy users to bb10. For me, I see the toolbelt useless on BB10. The trackpad gets in the way when I'm swiping up to minimize apps, and I find scrolling on the screen much more efficient. Obviously cut copy and paste is back with the trackpad, but I actually have to stop myself and remind myself to do it with the trackpad. (I naturally just highlight text on the touchscreen with my finger now)

So for me the passport is still the better device. Obviously specs wise but I just prefer the size of the screen, the performance and the battery life. I feel there is absolutely no need for a toolbelt on BB10, feels very weird and feels like it doesn't belong there. I have since listed this Blackberry Classic on kijiji for $400 and sadly havent had many replies. I did however order a red blackberry passport from shopblackberry today!! So very excited! Let me know what you classic folks think about the toolbelt with bb10 compared to say bb7. Im sure theres people out there who love their classic, but for me the passport is the far superior, more polished device.
    I agree with your assessment regarding the tool belt. How ever, image if the tool belt came out first on the Q10, I wonder if people's attitude would be different regarding actually using the tool belt.

I too had the Classic and found the tool belt no big deal. I'm sure over time I would get used to using it, but I wanted to return my Classic within the 14 day return period. Now back to my Z30. Hope you enjoy your new red Passport.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    03-28-15 07:42 PM
    To each their own, I use the toolbelt all of the time...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-28-15 08:30 PM
    I love my Passport and my Classic and switch them out once a week. I typically use my Classic on work days because it's just more convenient from a size perspective. I use my Passport on my days off. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Classic even though the Passport dominates in most categories.

Unfortunately, convenience is huge factor for me and I think the Passport is just to big to carry everyday. With respect to the toolbelt, I'm neither here nor there. As a prior Q10 user I don't need it, but it also doesn't get in the way and the physical answer/end buttons are a welcomed addition.

Posted via my AT&T BlackBerry Classic
    Zeridialous and anon9133023 like this.
    03-28-15 08:30 PM
    I agree about the toolbelt.
    I came from a 9930 and I miss a lot of things that I can't do on my Classic, or are just too buried. I am slowly learning all the corners of BB10. So maybe some of gripes will go away when I learn where stuff is (or grow to appreciate different ways to do stuff with BB10).

The Classic itself is a bit buggy. Hoping for VZW update.

Tour > Bold 9930 > Classic SQC100-3
    03-28-15 09:07 PM
    Agree with you to an certain extent. But for me trackpad is very useful like a stylus for a full touch device. it just makes life so better on a small screen for a muliple activities which makes my classic a truly productive device for me. Toolbelt on the other hand is sexy to call and receive an incoming call which is why according to me this phone is the best blackberry ever made!!! Nothing is redundant in a CLASSIC!!! As it is a CLASSIC!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 09:38 PM
    I use the toolbelt all the time too. I also wonder about when people say that bb10 wasn't made for the toolbelt. I mean we know it wasn't but what how did people expect it to function? You drag the trackpad, you hit select, it launches action. Did people expect the entire OS to change too?

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:14 PM
    The Classic is awesome love the Tool belt.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:45 PM
    it's surly not a replacement for passport in terms of battery and smooth operation (processing).
    I had also used Q 10 and did not miss the toolbelt there.
    What I don't understand is Q10 was a stellar with battery life, I could use it for two days without charging regularly. So I guess the problem here is with software 10.3.1 is not not as prepped as 10.2.
    Will it be possible to install BlackBerry OS 10.2 on classic?
    Specs wise it should not be a problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 01:05 AM
    Call me old school but I'm all about Classic.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.281
    tadastadaitis and anon9133023 like this.
    03-29-15 01:08 AM
    I have the Passport and love it.

However, the trackpad was / is more efficient for editing text and, even if this were it's ONLY use, it would still be very useful.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-29-15 01:11 AM
    it's surly not a replacement for passport in terms of battery and smooth operation (processing).
    I had also used Q 10 and did not miss the toolbelt there.
    What I don't understand is Q10 was a stellar with battery life, I could use it for two days without charging regularly. So I guess the problem here is with software 10.3.1 is not not as prepped as 10.2.
    Will it be possible to install BlackBerry OS 10.2 on classic?
    Specs wise it should not be a problem.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what's going on with yours, but my Classic leaves my Q10 in its dust in terms of battery life...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-29-15 02:32 AM
    The most problematic issue I see on my one month Classic is that it's really slow in certain apps/actions that it should not be, contacts selection, phone app, really very basic features, also general universal search. Even so tech wise it has the same Q10 specs it seems to me that at some point Q10 is faster in basic operations that makes sometimes crazy. Otherwise I keep myself patient and hope soft upgrades will bring in some developments. Also none of feedback, no voice, tactile, vibration, just none makes you very attentive what you do on the screen. Is it so problematic to do some voice at least feedback on touchscreen? There is definitely quite a lot flaws that has to be repaired but on the other hand is really great phone with trackpad and hope the classic will stay classic and at least one high end qwerty device like this BlackBerry should have. Think when to try a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 03:09 AM

You just wanted to bash the Classic, this thread was moot; not to mention you say you were desperate and anxious to try the Classic AND you needed cash but only got $150, only to complain about the Classic try to resale it for $400 yet you bought a red passport -_- thought you were in Soooooo much need for cash...

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    03-29-15 03:17 AM
    You just wanted to bash the Classic, this thread was moot; not to mention you say you were desperate and anxious to try the Classic AND you needed cash but only got $150, only to complain about the Classic try to resale it for $400 yet you bought a red passport -_- thought you were in Soooooo much need for cash...

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    +1

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 04:45 AM
    My experience with the Classic has been a good one. Coming from a legacy device, I use the tool belt and think it adds efficiency for my use. I recently tried a friend's Q10 and found it quite difficult to get around without it.
    I was glad when BlackBerry released the Passport as it seems a good device and shows that they are still trying. However I never considered it for myself. That device was just not for me.

Posted via CB10
    Zeridialous likes this.
    03-29-15 05:36 AM
    My PassPort spends most of its life sitting on the desk "looking pretty". It's a great "phablet", FWIW, but I'm ALL about single handed use. PP just isn't comfortable, IMO.

Classics are THE go-to workhorse in our office, these days. They're the absolute upper limit on device size but still manage to get the single handed job done.

Battery life is exceptional! THE advantage our Q10s have are their swappable battery. A hard day of voice use in low signal conditions will put the hurt on ANYthing. Classic holds up better than most. PP is even better at that but shares Classic's fixed batt handicap. Just TOO handy to swap batts at day's end and head home with a fully charged and ready for ANYthing device. PP never leaves the office. Classic sometimes goes home. 9900 is ALWAYS on my person. Used or not.

Software shortcomings asside, Classic's toolbelt is the ONLY thing keeping us in BB10. Try a LONG, 12hr, day of editing spreadsheets, single handed, with a PP or Q10. It CAN be done. You risk ending the day pretty grumpy, tho. BTDT.

No device is perfect. BB7.1 was the evolutionary product of YEARS of, sometimes painful, experience. BB10 is maturing in front of our eyes. Classic is simply the BEST BB10 device, to date! IMO.
    Naeg1995 and Xenolock like this.
    03-29-15 06:32 AM
    My first BlackBerry phone was the Z10. So I had zero experience with the toolbelt. Been using the Classic for less than a week. Physical keyboard phones I had owned were always Nokia (the last, an Asha 303 'feature' phone), I liked them, and liked their traditional non-qwerty solid button phones like the 6303i Classic too (if they still made it, I'd still buy one).

So going from the Z10, I was worried about the keyboard, toolbelt, and screen (but at least still have the Z10 to fall back on should it be necessary).

I'm getting back into the swing of the keyboard a lot faster than I expected, and really liking it. I didn't expect to be using the toolbelt AT ALL! yet I am using it a heck of a lot (a big shock to me), but still getting to grips with it being buttons rather than touchpads (I don't know why I expected it to be touchpads, but I am getting in the swing with it fast enough).

As big a shock as the toolbelt for me, is the screen. For me it is perfect for the layout of this type of phone, and for me, it blows away the screen on the Z10. For me, clarity and legibility when 'actually doing stuff' is much superior, and I prefer the Classic for anything web based and even RSS feeds. For my hands and eyes, the Classic is a far better option than the Passport.

For my ears (I am substantially deaf, stone deaf in my left ear, and only partial hearing in my right ear), I suspect the Passport would be better for speakerphone use, and probably even better than the Z10 for speakerphone use (the Z10 was ok). The Classic speaker isn't quite there to cut through (though to be fair, this may be down to the EU's stupid volume standards, which seem to be messing up phones big time for the hard of hearing). That said, of the supplied ringtones there are three that work well enough for me to hear the phone ringing, and the 'normal' use up to ear speaker is clear enough. For speakerphone and media use I have treated myself to a bluetooth stereo speaker (supposed to have a 40 hour battery life but works when plugged in to power as well) that will do speakerphone functions for me (to be fair to all phones, I suppose this is something I should have done as soon as I found out about the insanity of the EU's volume restrictions, but the implications really didn't sink in), and while in the car, there's no problem with the handsfree built in (it's a Ford Sync thing which works plenty good enough).

Battery life, the last couple of days I have done a battery drain, to knock the power down (I let it go down to 5%), with wifi on, bluetooth on talking to the PlayBook and the car, a few phone calls and a fair few texts, hub use, checking and deleting emails, battery saving off, etc., and it did about 36 hours from full charge. There's easily enough processing power in the Classic for me, everything runs fluid and fast in use. and wifi and RF performance etc is good.

If this is 'base line' with BB10.3.1.1779 and the Classic, things should even improve from here, and what's not to like about how things are now. Since transferring the data from the Z10 and activating the SIM, I haven't even been tempted to switch the Z10 on.

Out of curiosity. I did snipe a 9790 dirt cheap on Ebay to play with and have a compare. Have only managed to do a bit with it as updates were being done with the Classic, but that size device, with BB10? Maybe get Foxconn to make one cheap? I think there's a big market for it (especially as MS have been stupid enough to take the decent qwerty Nokia's off the market - here anyway). Not having seen a Q10, is the 9790 a lot smaller than it? Ergonomically the 9790 is a cracking little phone (and my Sis already has eyes on it *laughs*).
    Last edited by Brown Noise; 03-29-15 at 07:16 AM.
    Xenolock likes this.
    03-29-15 06:48 AM
    I only picked up a classic to hold in my hands at ATnT recently, and they said there would be no display models of the Passport. The thing about making the Classic bigger than the 9900 is its no longer in the size range that appealed to me about that phone. Although i will probably buy one eventually.

What i would love silly me is a high end OS10 version of the size of the 9360. That would be the perfect kind of phone for me to pay for and cherish, keeping around a touch screen BlackBerry for browsing that needs more screen.
    03-29-15 11:03 PM
    toolbelt for me as well....always in used until I sell it...
    03-29-15 11:22 PM
    ...I have since listed this Blackberry Classic on kijiji for $400 and sadly haven't had many replies...
    To increase your chance of selling your BB Classic you may want to try to sell it there as well:-

The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    03-30-15 03:15 AM
    The Passport and Classic are totally different. I had the Passport THREE times since launch and returned them each time. I love the device and the quality build and its uniqueness. But once you get past the excitement of the coolest phone ever made, you have to live and work with it.

The Classic is a great size, decent specs, great Keyboard, great battery life.... It is the definition of the term "Daily Driver"... it make your day easier!!!
    03-30-15 08:44 AM
    Interesting re: the toolbelt....

....a technophobic and technically illiterate lawyer I know has been the guinea pig for testing the Classic for the small-medium sized law firm he works for. He has been a BBOS user for over 10 years, and was adamantly against the Q10 because it had no toolbelt (and he's not massively keen on touch screens either).

He's now been using the Classic since it came out (in the UK), and has recently admitted to using the toolbelt and trackpad less and less. What he mainly uses it for, is ending telephone calls, and also going back a page on a website.

So, from the experiences of this lawyer, I think it is evident that the Classic is a good educational stepping stone to get diehard legacy BBOS users to get used to OS 10.

The other partners (in the law firm) are apparently very interested in the Classic, but he tells me that their only issue to bulk upgrading to the Classic is that their current provider in the US uses CDMA
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 03-31-15 at 02:43 AM. Reason: typo
    03-30-15 02:54 PM
    very interesting

thanks for sharing
    03-30-15 06:11 PM