The big issue for me is the oversizedness, and to a lesser extent the fact that OS 10 is not really designed to be optimal with a trackpad.
    10-23-15 02:48 PM
    Had the Classic and have to change to Passport, is other world...Classic was a failure for me

Sent from my Passport
    10-23-15 03:19 PM
    I wonder how BB's sales would have been if they could have brought out the Classic 2 years sooner instead of the Q10. I bought one for my 80 year old dad last winter to use cause he saw it on TV What i like is the bigger screen over my Q10 and that track pad. My Q10 is coming up on 2 years and has took a lot of physical abuse and survived so far.
    10-23-15 11:56 PM
    I love how everything is so "matter of fact."
    Preferring a phone brand/OS is as subjective as it gets. But I didn't say that I don't like swyping gestures, I said I don't like contact names not being displayed when someone calls me. I am faster on Android than most of my friends on anything but that isn't a measure of the OS's performance.

I doubt that pointing out flaws is circle jerking. Those who agree with me, are mostly disappointed because the phone has lots of potential but the OS is still buggy in critical areas and it looks like it won't improve much.

A couple of other notes:

-The Classic's use case has to revolve around IM/emails. If you aren't spending 90% of your time on it typing things up and communicating, you bought the wrong phone. Instagram, photography, videos, Vine, Snapchat (well, it doesn't even load) are all really poor experiences on this phone. I bought an iPad mini to work as a second "phone" for all my other needs.
    I mostly agree with your notes and I want to add this.

I consider the option to install Android apps as a bonus and I get why they work slower. I thought of the Classic as a communication phone and not a media device, so the fact that it's core apps are buggy and missing features is actually my biggest letdown. If those were perfect, I could ignore the other stuff.

I'm on a touch device now and I already type less. Relative to other high-end phones, the Priv's price is ok. If it works right, I think it's worth it.

The big issue for me is the oversizedness, and to a lesser extent the fact that OS 10 is not really designed to be optimal with a trackpad.
    I really like the size and feel, probably because I have larger than average hands. I'm ok with the trackpad and I use it regularly, but I didn't use a legacy BB for more than 1 month, so I don't have a refference point.

Had the Classic and have to change to Passport, is other world...Classic was a failure for me

Sent from my Passport
    I held the Passport and it's too big for me. Keeping it in my pocket felt weird and I typed faster on the Classic.

Good review. Same findings here and a few more...I keep classic in a OtterBox and have sent back three times 1) dead keys 2) screen dead pixels 3) broke spacebar

Posted via CB10
    Fortunately I didn't have to return it. Had a few key problems but they sorted out themselves with usage or OS update.
    10-24-15 07:07 AM
    Had some of these things happen, not others. Some days I still miss some ios apps. But it's okay for now. The Classic meets my needs, but I could not switch if I wanted. If I would ask, my boss would never let me live it down.

 Classic 10.3.2.2789
    10-24-15 07:46 AM
    Didn't want to quote your message because too lazy to delete all of the other parts that was replying to others, but I actually don't get the issue of names not showing up. When I receive calls, their name, picture, and custom ringtones all work right away...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-24-15 12:32 PM
    Didn't want to quote your message because too lazy to delete all of the other parts that was replying to others, but I actually don't get the issue of names not showing up. When I receive calls, their name, picture, and custom ringtones all work right away...

Same here, and I have over 7K contacts now.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 01:36 PM

I did some tests on this and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with syncing. One day I switched to Outlook contacts instead of Gmail and after the initial sync, the outlook servers went down (just my luck) and all my contacts disappeared. It also happened frequently when I had poor internet coverage.

My solution is to do a wipe, sync only the gmail/outlook contacts (preferably with CardDAV) and copy all the contacts locally. If there are other contacts such as Linkedin, it won't copy all of them at once, so I add LN after the initial copy. With this solution, the bug frequency reduced by about 90% and it works on my gf's bb as well.
    10-24-15 01:39 PM
    It needs to be remembered that Classic, by virtue of numbers alone, is a niche product. BBRY itself is a niche marketer. A corner RIM/BBRY stupidly painted themselves in to but that's a separate discussion. I mostly sympathize with OP's observations but relative significance is a very personal matter. For me, regardless of other issues, Classic's toolbelt provides single handed ease matched by NO other device in current production. Currently produced by ANYone. Period. IMO.

If you value the ability to take and end calls, message, surf, edit spreadsheets, order things from Amazon, and post on forums, while eating lunch with your other hand (like i'm doing now), Classic is THE device for you. If other considerations are greater priority, then it may, or may not, be for you. A bone headed situation for BBRY to paint themselves into, IMO, but that's reality from Steve's POV. FWIW. (free )
    slagman5, wilber1, Wmsi and 2 others like this.
    10-24-15 04:19 PM
    How did BlackBerry paint themselves into a corner? By just making PKB devices? Just curious.

I do find it odd that Chen says that there is a small market for high end BB10 devices, yet he scrimped on the power and usefulness of the Classic.

Could have had the better trackpad from the 9900. Removable battery, better camera, faster processor, more built in memory. The iconic BlackBerry still has fans and there were potential sales and profits lost.

Love to see a new Bold with current specs running Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 06:19 PM
    How did BlackBerry paint themselves into a corner? By just making PKB devices? Just curious.
    Posted via CB10
    Uh boy, that topic could fill some server space! LOL. In short, they painted themselves into a corner by repeatedly doubling down on their failures. IMO. The Storm, for example, was rushed to market half baked. A fiasco i heard about in multiple Verizon stores YEARS later. What did they do? They blamed the OS and PKB for their troubles and doubled down on their mistake by rushing the Z/Q10 to market half baked. Some would say that batter wasn't even mixed. lol Their name in glass products has been damaged and they're still feeling that damage, even if not cognizant of it. PKB is now their niche. I'm GLAD it's their niche and think they would have been better off embracing their differences rather than chasing Apple like a starving puppy.

I recall when Harley Davidson's name was synonymous with "antiquated junk" (circa mid 70's). Their obituary was ready for print. They were chided for failing to mimic the UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) inline four cylinder trend of the 70s. Instead, they stuck with their "antiquated" Vtwin and cultivated a niche market. That market might still be "niche" but NO one can call HD unsuccessful these days. Thanks to their "old fashioned" Vtwin. HD even has a model line named "Classic". Toolbelt is as right for BB as Vtwin was for HD, IMO. Chen might learn a little from Willie G. and a couple beers.. ??

That's the brief version of what i was thinking. FWIW.
    Wmsi, heraiz, Velocitymj and 2 others like this.
    10-24-15 07:25 PM
    Glad (or sad) to see I'm not the only one tired of it slowness. I use android apps which don't work as well as with an android phone. I've been very loyal to BlackBerry but now I'm just thinking, why should I be ? Is the keyboard worth all the anger I've felt all this times I had to wait 2 minutes for an app to open ?

Just thinking of dropping BlackBerry for good.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 07:35 PM
    Glad (or sad) to see I'm not the only one tired of it slowness. I use android apps which don't work as well as with an android phone. I've been very loyal to BlackBerry but now I'm just thinking, why should I be ? Is the keyboard worth all the anger I've felt all this times I had to wait 2 minutes for an app to open ?

Posted via CB10
    Decent chance you'd be back. Once you've experienced BB's PKB & TB, it's hard not to miss them.

Some of us argued for more specs in a pretty heated thread over a year ago. At LEAST Z30 specs. Once again, they've doubled down on their failures, tho. My old 9900 was BB's flagship when intro'd. BB's powerhouse. Pretty much the PassPort of its day, IMO. BUT, even tho it had BB's best internals, publications complained that it was underpowered compared with devices on "other platforms". 9900 proved to be BB's greatest success, last i heard, but how much better might its success have been if it had been blessed with "bragging rights" power for the Android youngsters... ??? Same question with our "underpowered" Classics. Would it have really cost THAT much to have fitted our Classics with Z30 innards?

Still, if you value PKB, Toolbelt and surfing security, Classic is THE game in town.
    10-24-15 08:00 PM
    Classic was a failure for me

Sent from my Passport
    Part of me believes that was the intended result.
    10-24-15 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you rely on google, then use google... I don't care for snapchat or whatever else people seem to find important for some reason, I only use a few android apps and I don't mind the extra few seconds it takes to load them since I don't really rely on them for anything. So for my use BB10 is great. But if you rely on Android apps, get an Android phone, pretty simple...

idssteve and donemt like this.
    10-24-15 08:57 PM
    I've had all of the BB10 phones, and so too have friends and family members. The Classic is an AMAZING phone. I love it for the pkb, the form factor, and most importantly the amazing OS. The camera, too, is sweet.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve and donemt like this.
    10-24-15 09:08 PM
    If you rely on google, then use google... I don't care for snapchat or whatever else people seem to find important for some reason, I only use a few android apps and I don't mind the extra few seconds it takes to load them since I don't really rely on them for anything. So for my use BB10 is great. But if you rely on Android apps, get an Android phone, pretty simple...

Interestingly, no one ever complains about how long it takes Android phone to load BB's hub... or to hang up after pressing Android's physical "End" key... oh, wait... lol
    10-24-15 10:17 PM
    I wonder how BB's sales would have been if they could have brought out the Classic 2 years sooner instead of the Q10. I bought one for my 80 year old dad last winter to use cause he saw it on TV What i like is the bigger screen over my Q10 and that track pad. My Q10 is coming up on 2 years and has took a lot of physical abuse and survived so far.
    Classic is the Q that SHOULD have been, IMO. My 82 year old Dad is "learning to love" his Classic (mostly for its trackpad) but still prefers his 9650 because it has NO **** touch screen! Lol. Both of my elderly parents and many elderly friends in their community, are too "shaky" to efficiently utilize, or even tolerate, zero force capacitive touch HMI. Their shaky fingers too often touch the wrong thing the wrong way on touch devices. Track pad on 9650s, modified 9900s, and now Classic separates "aim" from "click" making those devices more "shaky finger" friendly.

Q10's lack of toolbelt fatally crippled its success, IMO. Just looking at how long it took to get keyboard shortcuts, I'm convinced Q10's toolbelt was omitted mostly because QNX guys needed too much time to code it in.

QNX, as I recall, was acquired by BB. Not the other way around. The qnx guys "purchased" to code a new OS from scratch weren't necessarily BlackBerry enthusiasts by choice. I, for one, don't believe that they understood PKB, trackpad, toolbelt, nor BlackBerry itself. They didn't seem to comprehend why anyone would even want such things, IMO.

Nothing made by human hand will ever be perfect. Old Grandad used to say: "If you don't appreciate what you already have, you don't deserve any more...". Imperfections aside, I truly appreciate our "toolbelt Qs".
    anon(8063781), heraiz and acovey like this.
    10-25-15 05:05 AM
    I think the tool belt was not included because BlackBerry thought that they were old fashioned and their OS is gesture based.

If the Q had come out with a 4:3 screen instead of a small square screen it would have been a success without the trackpad.

If BlackBerry is going to include a trackpad, please use the one from the 9900. While they are at it, bring back the curved 9900 keyboard too.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-25-15 10:14 AM
    I agree about the stock camera. The worst on any smartphone I've owned.
    LOL! The worst? Are you feeling ok or just a case of over exaggeration disorder? One brain cell I guess we can't expect much.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-25-15 10:43 AM
    Of course, this is just my opinion, but that never stopped me before....

BlackBerry painted themselves into a corner by not recognizing that they had become a consumer brand. The huge sales numbers half a decade ago were the result of consumers buying a product that had the apps that everyone wanted at the time -- email and messaging -- which functioned extremely well -- better than anyone else's.

They needed to recognize that maintaining that edge in communications for the consumer market was key. When people say they want apps, for the most part, they just want the latest communications apps -- instagram, snapchat, tumblr, twitter, facebook, etc. -- because they want to be able to communicate through the same systems as their friends. If they don't have the apps, they're excluded from certain social circles.

BlackBerry should have recognized that they had a huge consumer base and that it was key to maintaining their massive growth. Instead, they painted themselves as the enterprise smartphone company, and in doing so, painted themselves into the corner.... partly because there are hardly any "enterprise smartphones" anymore, because, outside of a few key sectors, no one cares about anything more than average security or device management. As far as I can tell, security where I work involves SSL and a mandatory device password.

Of course, just recognizing that their customer base was consumer-oriented wouldn't have addressed the fact that the aging BBOS needed to be replaced and that action should have been taken sooner, which is an entirely separate story... As everyone here says, there are many reasons for BlackBerry's failure.
    10-25-15 11:00 AM
    Interestingly, no one ever complains about how long it takes Android phone to load BB's hub... or to hang up after pressing Android's physical "End" key... oh, wait... lol
    Yah, I find it kind of amusing watching my friends tapping repeatedly on their screens while needing to look at it to end a call.. :-D

donemt likes this.
    10-25-15 12:40 PM
    I think the tool belt was not included because BlackBerry thought that they were old fashioned and their OS is gesture based.

If the Q had come out with a 4:3 screen instead of a small square screen it would have been a success without the trackpad.

If BlackBerry is going to include a trackpad, please use the one from the 9900. While they are at it, bring back the curved 9900 keyboard too.

Posted via CB10
    No need for the curved keyboard. I type faster and just as accurately on the Classic's straight keyboard. I agree that the one on the Q10 wasn't as good, I guess the slightly larger size of the Classic was enough to make the difference...

donemt likes this.
    10-25-15 12:42 PM
    I wonder how many people here who complain about the performance of Classic said "Specs doesn't matter" before.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 12:52 PM
    Maybe nitpicking here, but reddit in motion is "bulit for blackberry"
    Now reading the rest of the review

Posted from my monster machine, AKA the passport...
    10-25-15 12:57 PM
146 1234 ...